ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Strawberries Getting A Lot of Hype

ashokan

Hall of Famer
May 3, 2011
"Oishii doesn’t grow your typical strawberries. For starters, a box of six extra-large berries used to sell for $50 at Whole Foods.

The New Jersey-based company’s berries don’t taste like your typical strawberries, either: They’re sweeter, with a denser, juicier center. The flavor, aroma and “buttery texture” are engineered in three vertical farms: two in New Jersey and one in Los Angeles...

″[The strawberries] average somewhere between two to three times more in sweetness level, compared to what’s conventionally grown in the U.S.,” Oishii co-founder and CEO Hiroki Koga tells CNBC Make It. “Once you taste our berries, it’s simply a completely different experience.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/16/how...grow-strawberries-that-sell-for-20-a-box.html

"Scarlett berries"

"The Omakase Berry is “better than organic,” the Oishii team tells Editorialist. “You’re getting a much cleaner, healthier berry that is 100 percent pesticide-free, non-GMO, nutrient-rich, extremely fresh, and grown hyper-locally.”
The strawberries have a deep scarlet color with a penetrating aroma and a burst of juicy flavor that, in our opinion, outshines any on the mainstream market. They are sold in sushi-style boxes with separate resting-beds for each berry.
While it may look like the seeds are missing, they’re there. The Omakase Berry is a unique Japanese varietal known for its “seedless” appearance, but the seeds are dimpled inside. “This appearance is a result of years of breeding the best Japanese strawberry cultivars,” according to Oishii. "

https://editorialist.com/lifestyle/oishii-strawberry-review/

Store Locator

Those berries sound good but it looks like the linked site only sells the growing plants.
I could get into that except for all the critters
Even bears are a problem now

The Oishii strawberries that are grown in NJ are from Japan

"Omakase Berry s a unique Japanese variety characterized by its beautiful aroma, exceptional sweetness, signature seedless appearance, and creamy texture. A deep, sensory fruit experience long prized in Japanese food culture, but only now being discovered in America. First by chefs, soon by all true lovers of great food."

Sounds like the Wagyu beef of strawberries. (that is the real Wagyu of Japan and not the fake US stuff)
I guess maybe Japan's climate is like NE US since they started growing a lot of Shiitake and Miatake mushrooms in NY.

Those berries sound good but it looks like the linked site only sells the growing plants.

"Omakase Berry s a unique Japanese variety characterized by its beautiful aroma, exceptional sweetness, signature seedless appearance, and creamy texture. A deep, sensory fruit experience long prized in Japanese food culture, but only now being discovered in America. First by chefs, soon by all true lovers of great food."

Sounds like the Wagyu beef of strawberries. (that is the real Wagyu of Japan and not the fake US stuff)
I guess maybe Japan's climate is like NE US since they started growing a lot of Shiitake and Miatake mushrooms in NY.
iirc, there was a farm in.. old bridge? holmdel? that was growing those Rutgers berries. I tried searching but I cannot find it again. In any case, I will look for those Japanese berries.

Last edited:

American wagyu is excellent and not fake, cross bred.

These strawberries sound interesting but don't think I'd pay that kind of premium for fruit.

American wagyu is excellent and not fake, cross bred.

These strawberries sound interesting but don't think I'd pay that kind of premium for fruit.
I've read American Wagyu is good but that its not the same as Japanese - which is what a lot of people think they are getting by the way its advertised. I've seen American and Japanese and they dont look anything alike. Personally I suspect I wouldn't even like Wagyu

I've read American Wagyu is good but that its not the same as Japanese - which is what a lot of people think they are getting by the way its advertised. I've seen American and Japanese and they dont look anything alike. Personally I suspect I wouldn't even like Wagyu

True, it should be labeled as American Wagyu, which itself is literally off the charts in terms of marbling. Better than prime grade.

The pure Japanese Wagyu is even more marbled, to the point it looks like a hunk of fat
with specks of meat. Haven't tried it but supposedly it's very rich and filling, more like bacon than a steak.

Hope to try Wagyu in Japan one day, but as far as a classic steak, a good American Wagyu is hard to beat.

Reactions: ashokan
ADVERTISEMENT