ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Transit Debacle

Reactions: redking
Question is:

It was a NJ state holiday today

It's a federal holiday on Monday.

Do they want 2 Juneteenth days off?
Weird situation. I work in the stock market. We are closed Monday. That holiday did not exist for us last year. My mailman who is the happiest guy on the planet came in today. I figured he would be off. But he is off Monday too. Free parking for me near the office today due to holiday in local municipality.

Going forward the NYSE holiday will be whatever day of the week the 19th is. Very contrary to every other observed holiday.

Side note — last year I recall reading it was going to take years to make this a NYSE Holiday. Same conversation 20 years ago Nope. Rammed this one thru instantly.

Sweet, didn't realize this holiday was official.

Sounds like Monday off for me (and anyone relying on NJ Transit).

Weird situation. I work in the stock market. We are closed Monday. That holiday did not exist for us last year. My mailman who is the happiest guy on the planet came in today. I figured he would be off. But he is off Monday too. Free parking for me near the office today due to holiday in local municipality.

Going forward the NYSE holiday will be whatever day of the week the 19th is. Very contrary to every other observed holiday.

Side note — last year I recall reading it was going to take years to make this a NYSE Holiday. Same conversation 20 years ago Nope. Rammed this one thru instantly.
Work in finance for a major firm as well so align with reserve. We got a floater last year since it was signed into federal law then. Fed had this marked as a 2022 holiday right thereafter. This is no surprise at all.

Work in finance for a major firm as well so align with reserve. We got a floater last year since it was signed into federal law then. Fed had this marked as a 2022 holiday right thereafter. This is no surprise at all.
Oh, that explains why we got it at my workplace.

Anyhow NJ Transit was a mess. Made it home and had to check my blood pressure from all that. Lotsa rage around.

Well enjoy your weekend and Happy Fathers Day to those with kids. Avoid the train.

Reactions: Jm0513
Went to a funeral in North Brunswick, of all places. No issues going. Waited for 2 hours for a train coming back, to no avail, at New Brunswick train station. Thankfully, Coach Bus cross honored the ticket, so did not have to spend additional money coming back, but just lost time.

All trains cxl due to strike
Would be nice if NJ TRANSIT gave their conductors and engineers a legit contract since they been working without one since 2019.

Also would’ve been nice if NJ Tranist wouldve let everyone at the stations know what was going on asap instead of have them wait around for at least two hours before word got out online.

Would be nice if NJ TRANSIT gave their conductors and engineers a legit contract since they been working without one since 2019.

Also would’ve been nice if NJ Tranist wouldve let everyone at the stations know what was going on asap instead of have them wait around for at least two hours before word got out online.
The news this morning said it’s just this one union holding out on the contract. All others have signed. So, they are choosing to work w/o a contract. Also, you can’t let everyone know you are planning a sick out.

Last edited:
The news this morning said it’s just this one union holding out on the contract. All others have signed. So, they are choosing to work w/o a contract. Also, you can let everyone know you are planning a sick out.
They should just quit then instead of negotiate.

I told my wife to definitely work from home yesterday. Earlier in the week I saw Murphy’s email that the state was closed on Friday for Juneteenth. I said I bet NJT has issues because the holiday wasn’t in their union contract. That was too easy.

I guess I need to read why the state took Friday off. Usually Sunday holiday is observed Monday.

Reactions: MulletCork
I told my wife to definitely work from home yesterday. Earlier in the week I saw Murphy’s email that the state was closed on Friday for Juneteenth. I said I bet NJT has issues because the holiday wasn’t in their union contract. That was too easy.

I guess I need to read why the state took Friday off. Usually Sunday holiday is observed Monday.
Per news report this morning, it is in the union contract. This union group just didn’t sign the contract. All other union groups got holiday pay.

Reactions: Section124
Per news report this morning, it is in the union contract. This union group just didn’t sign the contract. All other union groups got holiday pay.
Thanks for the clarification. I still guessed correctly. 😃

Last edited:

In New Jersey the state holiday will always be the third Friday in June.
So I guess if you’re a workplace that gets state and federal holidays, it’s great

ETA worst part about the article “Passenger advocacy groups say they sympathize with the union.” Why? Maybe the group should change their name to Union advocacy groups.

Yeah, and they beat themselves over their head with a 2X4 because it feels so good when they stop.

ADVERTISEMENT