ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ weather: Tropical storm could bring flooding, rip currents in the next few days

Did the storm move further inland?

Just got pelted pretty good here in EB, and looking at the radar it seems like we're about to get the worst of it yet.

Did the storm move further inland?

Just got pelted pretty good here in EB, and looking at the radar it seems like we're about to get the worst of it yet.

Most of the flash flood warnings I heard about on NOAA radio were for the middle and western part of the state. I guess we're all going to have scattered flooding.

We're having a short respite from the heavy rain right now but should pick up again shortly.

How you doing @newell138 ?

Interesting graphic showing how much rain over a 6-hr period would trigger flash flooding in specific counties. The higher the number, generally, the drier it's been. Also, here are selected rainfall totals so far. Pouring here right now - absolute deluge. About 1" so far.

OXB: 5.19
Dover DE: 4.26
Cape May: 3.81
AC: 3.11
PHL: 2.24
Belmar: 1.52
New Brnswck: 0.75
TTN: 0.47

106617789_10219563630875408_4149544214325342526_n.jpg

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
We're over 3" so far. I'll need to restart the pool pump-out.
Like I posted in the other thread, I suspect the Rutgers Gardens wx station rain gauge is a bit off... Do downpours like this affect the accuracy of readings?

njweather.org says we've gotten around 1.25" so far, with only a half inch in the last hour:
EHvkpMg.png

But just up the road in EB, this seems like a whole hell of a lot more than that:
AWuplKAx1tZkhOKppPVnGbZPC7fGnvlO7FE7IswYaOwdZSIe6tY09SJOXDnA1kcOLlPPa9tB8uN8RV_yS5rGfDCQGqBbPfZECzGTdah82Q-OHFERbaXsMICGhKQy6rpp_89Mer0PYFX0unGj-J27qaW47Va7BpVMFSakL_rFvG3guPbsQ3n-4O-ShXBpr0Aupv9TlYVkJpmQtt63ctlinv4_ODkeGMyoIo_Wrpt6LKywizZZJ11mmy76APGOzrn-UF2Peu9QpcXZmittlSAtXXLnu9s_J98_YaGH3wv4TV40rcZI6AgMMddhnBG6rwEtnjwH9THTHurinyzM_SrnswYjTH9Xtehn_9IUfBvN5ng73kL_87efQLNFCd1Aa0JJQ1WwfqPYXH98FHZwo_OZrzOuVtyKIv_EQonCr3ZsVjdX68rtcOWv-SXYhFAscmZCrhGK2vRLCm22iOiijSyvfCfv3W0etQT6QYMo5ffvTorZ5es79J-lOMJqIgEgfGlw-09-LOdcKYaxJJguuNSsfgvnT0hs43iq4lg6WfGPBcN_U_d8B19z70kjQrUkEA_9SQp8eBWqDsaNYuj3l9QRSgWE3QPav1aKnLmvuWqq4s4ZJ82FPvxhAFpJkO9lZlTeAnCqQlZzj0RDJDyU8kJ_VVr6T9lXdDAWrC2aTx92BEdLn-SJykOyquvDQhEf=w1277-h757-no

Interesting graphic showing how much rain over a 6-hr period would trigger flash flooding in specific counties. The higher the number, generally, the drier it's been. Also, here are selected rainfall totals so far. Pouring here right now - absolute deluge. About 1" so far.

OXB: 5.19
Dover DE: 4.26
Cape May: 3.81
AC: 3.11
PHL: 2.24
Belmar: 1.52
New Brnswck: 0.75
TTN: 0.47

106617789_10219563630875408_4149544214325342526_n.jpg
Cool map... What relation though would that play to flash flooding? I mean, I understand the drier its been, the more water the ground can "soak up" but at the same time, the drier the ground gets the longer it takes to be able to absorb water, as opposed to just running off... I'm not wording it very well, but interesting stuff.

2" here now - over 1" in the last 30 minutes. NB at 2.18" now. Nice table in the link. 2-4" in most of NJ so far, with reports of up to 6" in spots in SNJ; in NNJ, especially N of 80 the rain is just getting underway. Rain has let up considerably for most of the coast and much of SNJ (dry slot) - question is whether the rain builds back in or not (probably not much). Worst of it for CNJ should be mostly over by 4-5 pm, but showers/storms are still possible in the unstable air mass. TS expected to skirt the coast at LBI in the next hour; some 50+ mph gusts at the coast.

https://www.njweather.org/data/daily

2:35 edit: Up to 2.5" here; the text above was based on a reading at 2:00 pm, but not posted until about 2:25 pm and the rain has let up.

2:43 pm edit - lol, pouring rain again - radar more scattered, but still some heavy showers in there. Maybe we will get to 3" with a few more of these.

Last edited:
Most of the flash flood warnings I heard about on NOAA radio were for the middle and western part of the state. I guess we're all going to have scattered flooding.

We're having a short respite from the heavy rain right now but should pick up again shortly.

How you doing @newell138 ?

pretty much over here it seems, some minor street flooding, and it looks like most of the NJ coast is clear and its heading into PA

Reactions: knightfan7
Cool map... What relation though would that play to flash flooding? I mean, I understand the drier its been, the more water the ground can "soak up" but at the same time, the drier the ground gets the longer it takes to be able to absorb water, as opposed to just running off... I'm not wording it very well, but interesting stuff.
Yes, the drier it's been, the greater capacity to absorb rainfall - that's much more important than run-off concerns, especially since run-off is really only a significant issue where there's enough sustained elevation change to make a difference. Soil type also matters - for clay soils, when dry, they can become less penetrable, whereas for sandy soils, runoff is much less of an issue, as infiltration is unfettered. Urbanization also impacts streams/rivers, since there's a lot less non-paved surface to absorb rainfall, meaning that water gets right to streams/rivers.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Funny thing is that the remnants of Fay will almost be in Canada by Saturday morning, so blaming Fay for cancelling a rally is a little silly. NH might get some rain from summertime t-storms, but Fay's impacts will be long gone by sunrise on Saturday in NH.
Would have been hard to control that orange mass of hair with the wind and dampness.

Absolutely, it is. By the time I got the pump started, we were over 4", btw.
Impressive amount of rain. About 2.5" here and it's likely mostly over, although the backside might give some showers, but I think the deluges are over. Some of the heaviest sustained (for over an hour; the t-storm the other day was as heavy for 10 minutes) rain I've seen since Irene.

People can even make a weather thread into a political statement, unbelievable.

Funny thing is that the remnants of Fay will almost be in Canada by Saturday morning, so blaming Fay for cancelling a rally is a little silly. NH might get some rain from summertime t-storms, but Fay's impacts will be long gone by sunrise on Saturday in NH.

Nope. There was revised guidance from the NHC.
EclW4sOXgAAq2bu

Reactions: RU from Jersey
Impressive amount of rain. About 2.5" here and it's likely mostly over, although the backside might give some showers, but I think the deluges are over. Some of the heaviest sustained (for over an hour; the t-storm the other day was as heavy for 10 minutes) rain I've seen since Irene.

Rain is mostly over? Assuming it will be windy but relatively dry around here?

Left Hamilton at 6am this morning and it was dry. Just got home from Secaucus and nothing but a few puddles. I even see some blue in the sky. It must have not been that bad here. The ride home sucked as it was raining hard to exit 12 on turnpike.

It's been absolutely relentless here in Summit for hours. Slowed down a bit but is pouring again now.

Sky lighter in the distance so maybe this is a final push.

I can very clearly see the large band of rain the weatherman on PIX was talking about out over the ocean and north. Moving like a son of a gun.

Meanwhile it's sunny and pretty warm here.
You invoked the jinx! Getting darker 3 miles west of you here in Wall.

@RU848789 or @RU4Real --The Mount Holly Weather graph is showing high wind gusts (up to 50 mph) until midnight, guess that is the back end of the storm?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT