ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJCU Going Under Soon? Suspends employee spending.

Even weirder when the experts got free college tuition because their parents were in a union!
but not at taxpayer expense, the funds are provided by the union for its members
To be eligible, your union must participate and students must simply apply for federal aid and apply grants or tuition reimbursement to their college bill. The Free College benefit will cover the rest- even if you aren’t eligible for any other aid!
THE UNION PLUS FREE COLLEGE BENEFIT COVERS ANY AMOUNT FOR TUITION, FEES, OR BOOKS THAT IS NOT COVERED BY FEDERAL OR EMPLOYER EDUCATION GRANTS. FREE MEANS NO OUT-OF-POCKET COST TO YOU.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
1) People arrive in America highly skilled (as writers, biologists, mathematicians, historians) but still struggling with mastering English, a very confusing language.

2) Many kids graduate hs with high marks in many subjects but also struggling with writing. Try explaining to that kid why a logical verb progression would be, “He may have been considering asking her on a date.” Or why you live in Jersey City on Communipaw Ave at 347B.

3) How many of the foreign-born students at RU do you think require some evel of ESL support?

I am a teacher, an English prof, by no means a radical one, still stunned by your ignorance. Politics?
The ones mocking colleges like NJCU complain about people who come into the country “to steal jobs” from people who would never do those jobs. God forbid if people come into this country or those born here who don’t speak English take up ESL classes on their way to earning their degrees in an “underneath Division 3” college that’s more affordable and/or convenient for them.

Even weirder when the experts got free college tuition because their parents were in a union!
He has an ideology to espouse, facts, history, self-consistency be damned.

Of course, that makes me wonder how YOU feel about billionaire CEOs with their massive bonus packages, given your particular ideological leanings. Because it's not like one side has a patent on hypocrisy over this sort of thing, right? 😉

I'm good with everybody earning as much as they possibly can legally leverage the system to earn. CEOs or taxpayer funded ditch diggers, don't matter to me. Let's make everybody wealthy, is my solution. 😀

Reactions: NotInRHouse
A "Professor of English as a Second Language"? That's an abuse of taxpayer dollars right there, in and of itself.

Why? ESL seems like a pretty practically useful subject. Lots of first Gen college students in NJ place into ESL sections of writing. Even at Rutgers.

I never understood 20-30 years ago the mad rush of so many colleges to become "universities", to build and expand infrastructure, etc.

Right down the street from us is William Paterson "University", formerly William Paterson College. They used to be more of a commuter school, had a good teacher's college, good music school, great jazz program, etc. Then they embarked on this huge expansion in the mid-to-late 90's to build a lot of new buildings, particularly dormitories. And, of course, that caused prices to go up. Tuition has skyrocketed there - years ago my mom finished her degree there, and I took some summer courses there to satisfy humanity requirements for my second degree: it was a really quite reasonable cost per credit hour. Now it basically rivals Rutgers. For what?
University status allowed them to expand their degree offerings and implement/expand their advanced degrees. Both of which are not typical of colleges. The wins are more diversity of degrees and advanced learning opportunities.
WP (and similar colleges like Drew, Rider, Monmouth, etc) are expensive options with mediocre to worthless degrees. They were able to jack up tuition due to gov student loan programs (just another thing the gov f'ed up).
LOL and oh boy all in one. 🙄

The ones mocking colleges like NJCU complain about people who come into the country “to steal jobs” from people who would never do those jobs. God forbid if people come into this country or those born here who don’t speak English take up ESL classes on their way to earning their degrees in an “underneath Division 3” college that’s more affordable and/or convenient for them.

To be fair, if this board is any indication, the people taking ESL speak better English than the whiners here opposing the program.

Reactions: hoquat63
Possibly. But they all write better English than the coder who wrote spell check.
The spell-check/suggestion/auto-replacement feature of this forum is, indeed, totally messed up. It's very, very stubborn about being wrong, once it decides you really meant to write something else other than the perfectly spelled word you just typed.

Otherwise, though, the software seems to work very well here, so I can live w/the spellcheck oddities.

Close it down. Plenty of other options for higher ed. Don't make future mistakes because dumb people made past mistakes.

Options are limited for the commuting students, who could get hurt. Streamline, downsize and keep it open. Maybe they could bring Mitch Daniels in as a consultant. As president of Purdue for the last 8 years he has not raised tuition by a dime. Of course there are also no climbing walls less than 8 years old.

Reactions: Salvi's Headband
People in JC can’t get out to Montclair, Kean, William Paterson, and other state colleges for various reasons. So you just want to close NJCU down because it’s in JC?
Some version of NJCU needs to be in JC to serve the local students. Get rid of the existing Admin and recreate it with a lower cost economic model.

Reactions: tico brown
Buy a car. Get a job. Take the train to NB. Why are JC folks special? No one in Rahway can walk to college.

Rahway? Jersey City is a major city. It has ten times the population of Rahway. It should absolutely have a public college. Hudson CC is good but only grants associate degrees. St. Peters is a tiny expensive private catholic university. There's a role for NJCU if they can get straightened out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT