ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJCU Going Under Soon? Suspends employee spending.

You have to love his comment that Hoboken is "covered in glass" and it's dangerous outside of Stuff Yer Face though.

I heard they give him a dime rather than a nickel for that caliber of post.
Much more concerned about the INSIDE of Stuff Yer Face...specifically the bathrooms. I have been around the block and those are the grossest in the western world.

Just typing about it makes me gag to this day. Thanks. 🙄

Reactions: NotInRHouse
actually one reason is that foreign students in American Universities use that course if they plan on getting a teaching position in America and that on resume is very helpful .because some states require ESL degrees for foreign applicants for teaching positions

Also ESL degrees come in handy for positions in multinational corporations that have offices in countries all across the globe that do business with businesses in America . Those corporations need qualified workers with a good command of the English language for dealing with American business people that might not know any other language than English

Think I'm talking out of my hat ????????????
If you do: nest time you call a customer support number, ask the rep on the other end if he/she has a ESL degree from their local university, you'll find English as a second language is being taught in universities all across the world 😁😛

Good reply. I trust that you realize my post was a flippant reply to his questions.

Good reply. I trust that you realize my post was a flippant reply to his questions.
I seen your post as an excellent lead in to what I wanted to say.
The opening you gave fit perfectly and I felt you were trying to have the reason looked into rather than being dismissed as a waste..

Reactions: ruinac
My feelings? No. Not close.

But it does strike me as being a bit unseemly to be mocking NJCU. It’s not RU or TCNJ. It’s not even Kean or Rowan. But it serves an important purpose to the students in its area who don‘t have the skills or means to attend those schools yet still want to further their education at a four-year college and improve their career prospects.

Not every student is born to english-speaking parents or come here as young children and have many years to master english before they turn 18.
The irony of seeing the same people who gets all piffy when Ohio State, USC, Alabama, etc is talked about being superior to Rutgers have the same exact attitude from their high horse when comparing Rutgers to NJCU, especially to those who are ESL students. Like those students are not allowed to improve their lives.

Hypocrites.

WP (and similar colleges like Drew, Rider, Monmouth, etc) are expensive options with mediocre to worthless degrees. They were able to jack up tuition due to gov student loan programs (just another thing the gov f'ed up).
So is Rutgers a worthless degree because they jacked up their tuition as well?

Much more concerned about the INSIDE of Stuff Yer Face...specifically the bathrooms. I have been around the block and those are the grossest in the western world.

Just typing about it makes me gag to this day. Thanks. 🙄
Surprised by this. I think they are not so bad. 🤷‍♂️
You obviously were never in the men's room of CBGBs. My shoes barely stayed on my feet because the floor was so sticky. But that did not stop a young Maynard James Keenan (singer in Tool) from doing pushups in front of the urinal as he warmed up for the show in 1992.

FJHaR1VXoAMgM63.jpg

Surprised by this. I think they are not so bad. 🤷‍♂️
You obviously were never in the men's room of CBGBs. My shoes barely stayed on my feet because the floor was so sticky. But that did not stop a young Maynard James Keenan (singer in Tool) from doing pushups in front of the urinal as he warmed up for the show in 1992.

FJHaR1VXoAMgM63.jpg
I have been as it was right down the street from E33/L9 whose quarters we shared while our firehouse got a new floor.

And the Port Authority Bus Terminal too.

Maybe they redid the ones at Stuff Yer Face but the memory is seared in my mind.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I have been as it was right down the street from E33/L9 whose quarters we shared while our firehouse got a new floor.

Maybe they redid the ones at Stuff Yer Face but the memory is seared in my mind.

Sorry but after graduating I never really thought about RU bathrooms again...largely because traveling since I've encountered far worse. A hole in the ground in Egypt in a bar is my worst memory.

Upstairs or downstairs, or both? Or is there only an upstairs? That is the only one I have been in, and my memory of it was "cozy."

Sorry but after graduating I never really thought about RU bathrooms again...largely because traveling since I've encountered far worse. A hole in the ground in Egypt in a bar is my worst memory.
Remember I did say the western world. 😉

Any democratic society should encourage citizens to obtain the maximum education they can achieve, subject to reasonable cost (both upfront along with opportunity cost). A citizen population of informed, rational and educated people should produce optimal societal outcomes. At least, that was the firm belief of many of the founders, Jefferson specifically.

So I applaud the mission of this university and hope it’s graduates obtain an education along with some skill to earn a decent living (I’ve never found the argument that college‘s main function is to serve as a trade school, churning out culturally illiterate computer science or business degree graduates, as particularly compelling unless someone is looking to create a shallow, greedy but uneducated society. I mean, how many of the founders had a trade skill as their primary life skill?)

in my view, we should seek to provide affordable access to as many qualified high school graduates or GED recipients as possible. Not IVy league, or even Rutgers, but i like the idea of supporting people looking to improve their station in life. Seems others in this thread don’t. That’s a shame,

Any democratic society should encourage citizens to obtain the maximum education they can achieve, subject to reasonable cost (both upfront along with opportunity cost). A citizen population of informed, rational and educated people should produce optimal societal outcomes. At least, that was the firm belief of many of the founders, Jefferson specifically.

So I applaud the mission of this university and hope it’s graduates obtain an education along with some skill to earn a decent living (I’ve never found the argument that college‘s main function is to serve as a trade school, churning out culturally illiterate computer science or business degree graduates, as particularly compelling unless someone is looking to create a shallow, greedy but uneducated society. I mean, how many of the founders had a trade skill as their primary life skill?)

in my view, we should seek to provide affordable access to as many qualified high school graduates or GED recipients as possible. Not IVy league, or even Rutgers, but i like the idea of supporting people looking to improve their station in life. Seems others in this thread don’t. That’s a shame,
Clapping Applause GIF

So learning English in HS or at night school isn't enough? And if they need ESL classes at college how are they getting their actual degree in something as it is likely taught in English in Jersey City. They aren't majoring in ESL are they?

Something isn't adding up. And it smells like the Education Complex has found yet another way to bilk the public out of money.
Your ignorance is stunning.

Been there several times over the last couple of years. The bathrooms are fine.

American colleges are toxic sludge dumps of dysfunction.
The whole world laughs at the mental illness raging through US colleges

Cant define boys and girls anymore, profs calling for genocide, radical poison oozing from every pore (spesh in gender studies - close them all down). Community colleges are the worst. Big shakeout coming no doubt

Query - Can a state school go bankrupt if the state isn't bankrupt? It's not like a municipality, which is a separate entity.
In NJ the State Colleges are wholly State entities. They are governed by boards appointed by the Governor, all their real property is ultimately owned by the State, all the workers are State employees.

They can shut down operations of course. You are right, bankrupt not really the right use of the word.

They are not exactly like executive agencies of the State but close enough that I think the idea of a State College defaulting would be like saying folks that bought Turnpike Authority bonds might lose their investment if no one wanted to drive from NYC to Philly anymore. They are backed by the full faith and credit of the State.

Last edited:

Quite a few, I believe.

A "Professor of English as a Second Language"? That's an abuse of taxpayer dollars right there, in and of itself.
*Many* schools, including Rutgers, have programs in English as a Second Language. These programs not only help students for whom English is not the language spoken at home, but also students and faculty from abroad. I'm sure many Rutgers grads have had TAs whose English is shaky, and these programs are designed to help them. In addition, students from abroad are cash cows (and therefore subsidize tuition for American students) because they don't get financial aid and so schools want to attract them and want them to succeed.

Quite a few, I believe.
Well Franklin was a tradesman, printer.
Anumber we’re lawyers: Adams ( both Sam and John),Hamilton. Stockton, Clark (I spent one year in Abraham Clark High)
Hancock was a merchant, Washington and Jefferson large land owners

Last edited:
Reactions: retired711
Been there several times over the last couple of years. The bathrooms are fine.
I think they re-modeled a bit over the past couple of years. I stress a bit. But those bathrooms weren't great a while back. Not at the level of the Corner Tavern pee trough, but not great.

Yeah...the whole world is "laughing" at US education

Meanwhile RU is one of many colleges where 10%+ of the student body is international, paying out of state tuition ensuring athletics and the rest of the school is funded and that NJ kids get a subsidized education

Other than Oxford and McGill and Univ of Toronto I have never heard of an American going abroad for college. Though with more Americans getting EU passports and Erasmus access that can change.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
I meant to say "worse" not "worth, and corrected my post. If there was only a Dean of Lisps and 20 administrators to help me with my lisp at Rutgers, I would have been more successful. It's not just NJCU. There seems to be a Dean, Associate Dean and Assistant Dean for every mundane aspect of a student's life at many of these colleges. It is really out of control. And these Dean positions pay much better than what the adjunct professors or graduate students who do much of the hands on teaching in many colleges. A warped sense of priorities.
I saw some stats on this awhile back... how administration positions have grown compared to faculty numbers since, say, the 60s.. it is almost a geometric climb. The military may have similar numbers now.. there is one officer for every 4.7 enlisted.

The Forbes story from 2017 covers similar topics in academia pretty well..

IMO, these institutions added a lot of relatively-useless majors and departments and create a lot of BAs and MAs and PhDs with degrees and they have made jobs for them... thus, proving the value of those degrees.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I saw some stats on this awhile back... how administration positions have grown compared to faculty numbers since, say, the 60s.. it is almost a geometric climb. The military may have similar numbers now.. there is one officer for every 4.7 enlisted.

IMO, these institutions added a lot of relatively-useless majors and departments and create a lot of BAs and MAs and PhDs with degrees and they have made jobs for them... thus, proving the value of those degrees.
Facility and admins are way overpaid. Need to cut back on those union positions and of course, eliminate tenure (which protects the mediocre and unmotivated).

American colleges are toxic sludge dumps of dysfunction.
The whole world laughs at the mental illness raging through US colleges

Cant define boys and girls anymore, profs calling for genocide, radical poison oozing from every pore (spesh in gender studies - close them all down). Community colleges are the worst. Big shakeout coming no doubt
Your post is a toxic sludge dump of dysfunction. But we still love you anyway, abc, regardless of how you might choose to define your gender. 😉

Facility and admins are way overpaid. Need to cut back on those union positions and of course, eliminate tenure (which protects the mediocre and unmotivated).
Weird how the self-appointed experts on who is overpaid, and whose job is too easy, never point at themselves.

eliminate tenure (which protects the mediocre and unmotivated).

That can work in many different ways. It can also protect a faculty member who refuses to sign a pledge to adhere to the teachings of Saul Alinsky and Howard Zinn.

Sometimes the increase in administration has been the result of well-intentioned (and valuable) legislation. The Americans With Disabilities Act meant that every institution had to create an office to deal with disabiity accommodation requests. Civil rights laws meant more record-keeping. Sometimes the added bureaucracy is to help students; many schools have expanded their career placement offices and student counseling services. But, yeah, some of it is just plain bloat.

Administration Bloat is the main reason why money is wasted in board of Ed’s and unfortunately the teachers in the classrooms are the ones who are stereotyped as the reason why the world has no money. Damm shame since most admin are full of 💩 politicians who see their positions as their golden parachute when that money should be spent on the buildings, equipment and the actual staff who are actually working to be used by the children to improve their lives.

Reactions: mdk01
Sorry my questions confused you.
And your politics are obvious. "Teacher"? LOL
1) People arrive in America highly skilled (as writers, biologists, mathematicians, historians) but still struggling with mastering English, a very confusing language.

2) Many kids graduate hs with high marks in many subjects but also struggling with writing. Try explaining to that kid why a logical verb progression would be, “He may have been considering asking her on a date.” Or why you live in Jersey City on Communipaw Ave at 347B.

3) How many of the foreign-born students at RU do you think require some evel of ESL support?

I am a teacher, an English prof, by no means a radical one, still stunned by your ignorance. Politics?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT