ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ's MOH Recipient John Basilone Honored With New Destroyer Saturday

Mine is on my bookcase next to the flag that was on my father's coffin.

My dad's flag sits in the middle of the hutch in the dining room. It fits because he loved nothing more than a big meal lol
Mine is on a built in bookcase next to our TV with a really nice picture of him and my wife taken at one of the NYC St Patrick’s Day Parades I was marching in.

My father told drinking stories about him and I never knew who the guy was.. "Johnny Basilone and me...".. that was the only kind of war story you could get out of him... and I should have paid much more attention while he was alive. He was 9 years younger than Basilone but were both Marines in the Pacific. God knows where they caroused.. I certainly don't. My bad. I suspect Basilone took the way-too-young Marine from Jersey under his wing for some kind of R&R leave.

My father told drinking stories about him and I never knew who the guy was.. "Johnny Basilone and me...".. that was the only kind of war story you could get out of him... and I should have paid much more attention while he was alive. He was 9 years younger than Basilone but were both Marines in the Pacific. God knows where they caroused.. I certainly don't. My bad. I suspect Basilone took the way-too-young Marine from Jersey under his wing for some kind of R&R leave.
So I guess they were in the same unit?

So I guess they were in the same unit?
The only thing I remember is he would list 5 island invasions.. as I get older I forget the sequence he used but it was something like , Bougainville, Tarawa, Guam, Tinian (he held the Green Acres actor Eddie Albert in very high regard because of Tarawa.. piloted his ship so close to shore and took a lot of fire that would have killed many more marines). I forge the 5th.. might have been Saipan but I remember some story like Saipan was a "break" for his unit.. mop-up duty rather than another beach landing. In any case, he almost died on Saipan and would have died had he been well enough to make the transport all his stuff was put on (it got sunk). He carried around metal plates in his leg and head courtesy of a leftover combatant (he would have said "Jap") who threw a grenade at his truck (while transporting a load of airplane tires from beach to airfield) sending him and truck down a cliff. 5 beach landings and he almost gets it during mop-up duty. War really is hell.

From Raritan, wasn't he?

Remember the name being huge there. Bridgewater-Raritan's football field named after him, among other things.

Reactions: JRZEER and goru1869
Fortunately they didn't name a Littoral Combat Ship after him.
The center structure looks similar to the Littoral destroyer...

Basilone guided-missile destroyer
210120-N-N0831-0102.jpg

A Littoral Combat Ship
LCS_2.jpg

The center structure looks similar to the Littoral destroyer...

Basilone guided-missile destroyer
210120-N-N0831-0102.jpg

A Littoral Combat Ship
LCS_2.jpg
The comment was a bit tongue in cheek. The littoral ships are already being phased out after only a few years of service & are basically a costly failure. Would be sad to sell off a ship named for a NJ MOH recipient sold off to a Latin American navy.

The only thing I remember is he would list 5 island invasions.. as I get older I forget the sequence he used but it was something like , Bougainville, Tarawa, Guam, Tinian (he held the Green Acres actor Eddie Albert in very high regard because of Tarawa.. piloted his ship so close to shore and took a lot of fire that would have killed many more marines). I forge the 5th.. might have been Saipan but I remember some story like Saipan was a "break" for his unit.. mop-up duty rather than another beach landing. In any case, he almost died on Saipan and would have died had he been well enough to make the transport all his stuff was put on (it got sunk). He carried around metal plates in his leg and head courtesy of a leftover combatant (he would have said "Jap") who threw a grenade at his truck (while transporting a load of airplane tires from beach to airfield) sending him and truck down a cliff. 5 beach landings and he almost gets it during mop-up duty. War really is hell.
My grandfather wouldn't talk much about the war. But he always had a strong distain for anyone or anything Japanese. Except for Godzilla movies that he watched with me, he used to say, "the only good thing those people ever made." As I learned latter on what he went through and the friends he lost, I began to understand that disdain he held for so long.

My grandfather wouldn't talk much about the war. But he always had a strong distain for anyone or anything Japanese. Except for Godzilla movies that he watched with me, he used to say, "the only good thing those people ever made." As I learned latter on what he went through and the friends he lost, I began to understand that disdain he held for so long.
Well, as far as I could tell, my Dad did not hold anything against them... "Jap" was just the word they were called then. I recall seeing some war movie on TV when Dad was pretty old.. forget which.. but there was a scene where the Marines had killed a bunch of them.. but one was alive and sneakily shot someone in the back after playing dead. So I casually asked him, not seriously, if that ever happened to him. He surprised me with his response.. "Well, sometimes you had to play dead. They'd walk right over you." Of course, I had never heard any actual war story from him.. but that was pretty close.

My Mom never allowed a war movie to come on TV.. I think because Dad had night terrors on occasion. I didn't put that together until I was pretty old myself. She didn't mind the drinking stories. All those times he mention this guy's name or that guy's name.. I never knew who "Johnny Basilone" was. They were just names from Dad's old stories. I enjoyed that he enjoyed telling the story.. but that was it. Never tried to follow the stories all that well. Drinking, fighting, getting busted by MPs... got rank busted a couple times.. they were just stories well beyond my understanding at the time. Had no basis upon which to ask questions.

The comment was a bit tongue in cheek. The littoral ships are already being phased out after only a few years of service & are basically a costly failure. Would be sad to sell off a ship named for a NJ MOH recipient sold off to a Latin American navy.
Correct! The navy are retiring these essentially new ships. They were a complete and utter boondoggle. The story is typical of many large scale military procurement activities where hardware manufacturers oversell capability and gullible, naive, or corrupt military personnel fork out billions without proper competent oversight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT