ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJTransit nightmare from last night

Yes. Penn Station was packed. I usually take the 6:20 Dover train. At 6:15 they announced the 5:52 was boarding (the rest of the board said "delayed"), so I sat on that train (which was completely packed) for about 40 minutes before the conductor announced that it probably wasn't leaving any time soon. Hoofed it to PATH (along with a herd of others), and squeezed onto a packed train out of Hoboken. I heard some guys discussing splitting an uber to get back to NJ.

Chris Christie can eat my shorts. That second tunnel would have (or should have, at least) been completed by now.

I was stuck trying to get home from Queens during Bridge-gate. This brought back memories.

My wife works in NYC and was stuck at Penn St. for about an hour (around 6 PM). After about an hour delay, she was able to get a train to Secaucus Transfer. She was pretty lucky because all hell broke loose after she got out. I commute home from Jersey City (via Hoboken Terminal) and luckily had no issues.

Been commuting on NJT for over 20 years. Generally no issues, but I am on the best train line (Bergen line). The infrastructure via the tunnels is horrendous and just a matter of time for collapse. We need a new tunnel to link the 7 train to Secaucus.

Seriously doubt the other tunnel would be anywhere near operating at this point. I'll believe the LIRR connection to Grand Central when I see it. Christie knew that this thing would have huge overruns and the Feds would not contribute more. He would have to convince NJ taxpayers to increase their burden whether they rode these trains or not. Tough sell and not an easy decision.

Seriously doubt the other tunnel would be anywhere near operating at this point. I'll believe the LIRR connection to Grand Central when I see it. Christie knew that this thing would have huge overruns and the Feds would not contribute more. He would have to convince NJ taxpayers to increase their burden whether they rode these trains or not. Tough sell and not an easy decision.

Charge the cost for the infrastructure upgrades to the riders. Let's see how bad they really want that tunnel.

The LIRR East Side Access project is currently 4x over budget and 15 years behind schedule...and the 63rd St Tunnels already existed when the project broke ground.

Think about that when you shake your fist at the proposed ARC Tunnel.

New Jersey Transit is a complete and utter failure. The management is aloof and out of touch and things just keep getting worse. Murphy promised he would fix the issue if it killed him, but that was an empty promise.

The biggest thing is that , while NJ Transit and Murphy like to blame Christie's budget cuts, they fail on communication with the riders - people have no idea what is happening when there are issues. This should be an easy fix, but - in spite of hiring a customer "advocate" (who does nothing other than make propaganda videos) - communications remain abysmal (as well as does service)

Hmmmmm, let's think about this.....

Once every several years some commuters have a several hour delay in their already horrible commute.

Build a multi-billion dollar tunnel with no idea of the end cost....

It seems that your ability to reason is impaired.

This is on more or less the same rung of the logic ladder as your statement the other night that the NFL screwed up because Bon Jovi didn't play the SB48 halftime show.

Happened back in 1993. Lucky for me i was on the last train out of NY Penn Stn. Would suck for sure.

Once every several years some commuters have a several hour delay in their already horrible commute.

Lets think about it like this .... ignore problem and hope it goes away then 5-10 years later catastrophic failure tunnel cant be used major delays every day for hours. Workers leave NJ because they cant get to work. Major downturn in NJ housing market. Tax revenue goes down . State goes bankrupt.
Because we cant figure out how to build & pay for infrastructure like every other Western Country.

Good times

There is no other option to this. New tunnels need to be built. Existing ones need to be taken down because of Sandy damage. if nothing is done, the region becomes total gridlock. we're talking about the viability of rail throughout the entire northeast region. if you want to stick your head in the sand about it, great, but millions of people will be affected by it.

awesome!!! guessing: never commuted to Penn Station: check

has no family members commuting to Penn Station: check

has no knowledge of the history of commuting issues on NJ transit - check

makes up facts about commuting issues - check

perfect for message board dialogue - check !!!!!

who needs bridges and tunnels to commute from NJ to NYC - check !!!!!!

I was stuck and had to Uber it home. I average a trip to the city one day a week for the last ten years. To the poster who stated sarcastically that a tunnel should be built for one delay that happens over many years. That isnt how this works.. I have had numerous cancellations over the years. One out of every four is delayed. Add that up. Hours upon hours of my personal time spent away from family and friends.

The solution to this problem is to live closer to work or find a new job. Both not good options for the state of NJ. Therefore, for those that do not support a new tunnel, you are supporting the decline of your net worth. Maybe you own a home that without your neighbors who work in NYC, your community is not as desirable. Or perhaps you have your own business that I would guess many spend their money earned through employment in NYC.

Or don't think of the bigger picture.

Sorry, but that was an absolutely brilliant decision to not put NJ taxpayers on the hook for the inevitable cost overruns in the billions or tens of billions.

Agree, we need to have a realistic idea of what the thing will cost before it should be approved. And who will pay what. Shared between state/feds/riders. That wasn't really done before. The feds said they would not pay overruns which always occur.

I have worked in midtown for the last 20 years and have been impacted by delays.

Agree, we need to have a realistic idea of what the thing will cost before it should be approved. And who will pay what. Shared between state/feds/riders. That wasn't really done before. The feds said they would not pay overruns which always occur.

I have worked in midtown for the last 20 years and have been impacted by delays.
And I completely agree that we need a new artery into the city. But these 2 statements illustrate not having a plan for the cost overruns:

The project [Big Dig] was originally scheduled to be completed in 1998 at an estimated cost of $2.8 billion.
From 2012:
A Massachusetts state official announced Wednesday that the total cost of the Big Dig, also known as the Central artery/Tunnel Project, is estimated at $24.3 billion, making it the most expensive highway project in U.S. history.

Reactions: patk89
It seems that your ability to reason is impaired.

This is on more or less the same rung of the logic ladder as your statement the other night that the NFL screwed up because Bon Jovi didn't play the SB48 halftime show.

I must be impaired since I have no knowledge of if or when Bon Jovi was or wasn't going to play a Super Bowl, nor any posting of it...

I do recall a friend that lived next of Bon Jovi's band member in law's in the Manasquan River. Back when the guy was dating Cher and kids would park on the street. My buddy would put his garbage out next to the In laws house and the kids would sneak up and steal the garbage..

awesome!!! guessing: never commuted to Penn Station: check

has no family members commuting to Penn Station: check

has no knowledge of the history of commuting issues on NJ transit - check

makes up facts about commuting issues - check

perfect for message board dialogue - check !!!!!

who needs bridges and tunnels to commute from NJ to NYC - check !!!!!!

Commuted into Manhattan in Penn Station and Port Authority.
Wife and I both did to mid town.
Also into the Wall St docks and the various chopper landing spots on each side.

My commutes have been by bus, train, personal car, car pooling, ferry, and helicopter. I preferred chopper until one day we went under the Verranzo because of high winds. IMO now the ferry from the Highlands is nice/best, with comfortable seats and wine/beer for the return to home.

Stuck on NJ Turnpike on day because of an Ice storm that had the NJSP shut down the entire Pike down to Exit 7 A. Parked in the left lane on the outers (SNO) above exit 11 for about 4 hours.

Stuff happens when you are forced to commute to NYC.

The NJ taxpayers can't be the only payees of the expansion of exit/entry from NJ into NYC.

See Cuomo for some bucks....good luck..
When he shuts down the nuke plant that supplies 25% of NYC electric power with no handy way to replace the necessary electricity, maybe Manhattan will close...

Last edited:
Time to build zip lines to move folks across the river. A lot cheaper than a new tunnel.

Commuted into Manhattan in Penn Station and Port Authority.
Wife and I both did to mid town.
Also into the Wall St docks and the various chopper landing spots on each side.

My commutes have been by bus, train, personal car, car pooling, ferry, and helicopter. I preferred chopper until one day we went under the Verranzo because of high winds. IMO now the ferry from the Highlands is nice/best, with comfortable seats and wine/beer for the return to home.

Stuck on NJ Turnpike on day because of an Ice storm that had the NJSP shut down the entire Pike down to Exit 7 A. Parked in the left lane on the outers (SNO) above exit 11 for about 4 hours.

Stuff happens when you are forced to commute to NYC.

The NJ taxpayers can't be the only payees of the expansion of exit/entry from NJ into NYC.

See Mario for some bucks....good luck..
When he shuts down the nuke plant that supplies 25% of NYC electric power with no handy way to replace the necessary electricity, maybe Manhattan will close...
Thank you for admitting that you don’t commute into the city anymore. When did you stop? The South Jersey crowd will never support the tunnel. They rather saved that money for beach replenishment.

Reactions: vm7118
I love how people cry that it costs money.

Yes, in case you didn't notice, this message board regards sports programs for Rutgers, the STATE UNIVERSITY of NJ.

Who do you think funded your degree if you have one?

Yet you wanted to abandon NJT passengers because you're not one of them?

Where do you think the taxes that fund everything come from? Only people that drive to a suburban office park?

Reactions: vm7118
An additional tunnel under the Hudson would allow for a limited amount of rail freight to traffic into NYC. This would take millions of tons of truck freight off of the surface streets. There would be a well-understood cost benefit to that.

Went to the Ranger game last night, game ended around 9:35, just enough time to catch the 9:48 Raritan Valley direct train to Cranford and would have been in my driveway by 10:35, great night, right? 9:48 was cancelled, not enough time to catch the 10p bus out of port authority, so waiting for the 10:48 train. 10 mins later, also canceled. So ended up on a 11pm local bus from port authority to Cranford, walked in my door at 12:30am. Miserable.

overheard people coming in to the game got stuck and didn’t get there until the start of the second period. That also sucks.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
ADVERTISEMENT