ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJTransit nightmare from last night

Another of my Sons just took a job with a large tech company.

...Get your resume to the decision makers that you either know as friends/relatives/co-workers, or can help get your resume in front of the decision maker not HR.

He got that done and the decision maker had HR draw up a new job search that only he could fill.

Nothing against your son, because I know he went to a good school and probably is qualified. But this type of hiring practice is why tech companies are overwhelmingly White and Asian.

New Jersey Transit is a complete and utter failure. The management is aloof and out of touch and things just keep getting worse. Murphy promised he would fix the issue if it killed him, but that was an empty promise.

The biggest thing is that , while NJ Transit and Murphy like to blame Christie's budget cuts, they fail on communication with the riders - people have no idea what is happening when there are issues. This should be an easy fix, but - in spite of hiring a customer "advocate" (who does nothing other than make propaganda videos) - communications remain abysmal (as well as does service)
Bingo. Worst run organization (no exaggeration). Zero accountability.

I have commuted into New York City for 11 years. I was making over six figures in my early 30s and recently gave it all up.

The commute is absolutely pure hell. I used to see grown men and women sprinting from the train to get into their cars so they could beat the traffic out of the train station. That was after a 90 minute commute mind you. I was 24 at the time but I remember thinking to myself, if I’m doing this in my 40s or 50s I screwed up.

do yourself a favor and downsize your living situation or get a new job. I don’t think I would do that commute again unless I was getting paid 500K a year.

NJ Transit had some very good people. shirley delibero was a very good executive director. Problem is every governor comes in and puts their own cronies in high paying positions many not qualified. They all do it. Christie took it to a high level, non-agreement personnel didn’t get raises for almost 10 years while his people hired for high paying jobs. Many good people left, some to MTA in higher paying positions doing basically the same job there.

Murphy is no different. His people are driving out quality experience transit people to move their people in.

I see the problem here. You actually think he is a good businessman. If he operates the country like his business, we'll be filing for bankruptcy soon.

So the results of his first 3 years in office are illusions ?

Reactions: RUsSKii
Commuting into the city will slowly deteriorate and closing one tunnel under the Hudson will be an absolute disaster unless it's done on the weekend. None of the other modes can handle any more load, and eventually these tunnels are going to give out. They either have to be replaced or rail service will be replaced with a ferry or PATH from Hoboken and all trains will be routed there.

Christie might have had valid reasons for shutting down the project, but it still should have been re-scoped and restarted. Christie gutted the NJ transit operating budget, though, and that's another huge contributing factor to delays -- how many times are we subject to train breakdowns, train service that is short cars or not enough engineers?

Reactions: redking
NJ Transit had some very good people. shirley delibero was a very good executive director. Problem is every governor comes in and puts their own cronies in high paying positions many not qualified. They all do it. Christie took it to a high level, non-agreement personnel didn’t get raises for almost 10 years while his people hired for high paying jobs. Many good people left, some to MTA in higher paying positions doing basically the same job there.

Murphy is no different. His people are driving out quality experience transit people to move their people in.

It's an incompetent government organization, like every other large government organization.

I don't read the New York Slimes anymore. So only the first paragraph was up and it didn't mention President Trump.

But is there any disagreement with the fact that Congress hasn't released any of the Trillion dollars estimated to begin the rebuilding of America ?

ok, but this paragraph illustrates Trumps attitude towards the Gateway project, which is utterly laughable.

In fact, the United States Department of Transportation has downgraded the urgency of the Gateway project from a medium-to-high priority to a medium-to-low priority — not high enough to qualify for federal funding.

Reactions: RU1977
I have commuted into New York City for 11 years. I was making over six figures in my early 30s and recently gave it all up.

The commute is absolutely pure hell. I used to see grown men and women sprinting from the train to get into their cars so they could beat the traffic out of the train station. That was after a 90 minute commute mind you. I was 24 at the time but I remember thinking to myself, if I’m doing this in my 40s or 50s I screwed up.

do yourself a favor and downsize your living situation or get a new job. I don’t think I would do that commute again unless I was getting paid 500K a year.
+1
Hits the nail on the head. Great post! It's truly a miserable existent. The NYC commute will only get worse in the future due to the tunnels and NJT.

Hey 40 minute delays on the Raritan valley line heading to Newark/NYC this am. The nightmare continues

Why not another bridge over the River? Wouldn’t it be less expensive and easier to maintain? Can’t we use Elon Musk tunnel company to dig two tunnels cheaper than the union workers?

Why not another bridge over the River? Wouldn’t it be less expensive and easier to maintain? Can’t we use Elon Musk tunnel company to dig two tunnels cheaper than the union workers?
That’s what I was thinking... I don’t pretend to know how any of this stuff actually works, but why can’t they go from NJ to NY the same way they go from Manhattan to Brooklyn? Too large of a span??

It doesn't look like The Boring company is doing work for traditional rail tunnels.

That’s what I was thinking... I don’t pretend to know how any of this stuff actually works, but why can’t they go from NJ to NY the same way they go from Manhattan to Brooklyn? Too large of a span??
the area that the bridge would have to traverse is already heavily developed. would have to buy up a LOT of property on both the NJ and in NYC to do this.

1. There's no available real estate for a railroad bridge. Remember, trains are very sensitive to grade - to get one 180' in the air, sufficient to cross a bridge, would require several miles of grade on both sides.

2. Tunneling under the Hudson isn't an easy trick. The bedrock is predominantly basalt and schist - very tough stuff. It would require a type of TBM (tunnel boring machine) that Musk does not possess.

Reactions: RUsSKii and redking
Reactions: soundcrib
Don't think there aren't SEVERAL proposals for ideas on how to do this. No one will pull the trigger and shore up funding/give a green light. Notice the dates on these alone are 2018 and 2011. Engineers can build here, this is all politics....

http://www.gatewayprogram.org/wp-co...07-31-ALL-InfoSession-Presentations-FINAL.pdf

https://engineering.purdue.edu/PGS/past-events/2011/presentations/Chapman-PGS-2011.pdf
Gosh... looking at those decks makes me realize how stupid I actually am.

Most of that slide material isn't new. I had a lot of it cross my desk as far back as 2010.
giphy.gif

Reactions: jreinsdorf
You seem very emphatic about that. Good for you! I guess.

I love NJ Transit. I hat sitting in traffic in cars. It's just a shame that it's been so underfunded. The enduring legacies of Chris Christie.

I did my time. Six years on the train out of Matawan. Another six on the bus out of Cranbury, after the second time I spent five hours on a train. When I stopped having to go into Manhattan on any kind of a regular basis I took up driving to Jersey City and taking the PATH, for those times that I did have to go into the city.

It all sucks. There's no good way to do it. The ferries are probably the best method, but I'm 40 minutes from Belford or Highlands, so that negates any advantage. It all sucks.

Best solution is to hit the number and not have to work. With tablets and smart phone, getting stuck on the train isn’t bad if you dont actually have to be somewhere.

Anyone have any good advice on changing careers in your late 30s?

Downsize your house or apartment and free up some wiggle room financially. Then get a new job in NJ.

IMO people get stuck on that hell commute because they buy too much house too far away and they have no choice but to make that awful commute to live paycheck to paycheck for it. The hell with that.

I wholeheartedly recommend leaving the DC to Boston metropolis, if at all possible.
Charlotte, Jacksonville, Nashville, couple in Texas, Salt Lake City, their out there, take less money.

People that knew of my 2 1\2 commute by train each way from Manasquan rightfully thought I was INSANE.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I wholeheartedly recommend leaving the DC to Boston metropolis, if at all possible.
Charlotte, Jacksonville, Nashville, couple in Texas, Salt Lake City, their out there, take less money.

People that knew of my 2 1\2 commute by train each way from Manasquan rightfully thought I was INSANE.
It sounds like your sons aren’t taking your advice.

Well here we are West of West Point babysitting.

Sometimes Wives live where they want to live, and we say, "Yes, Honey."

i learned my lesson when I bought a house on Jupiter Island Fla, without her seeing the house and announced that we were all moving.

Oddly enough, I take NJ Transit maybe 1-2 times a month into the City and in all that time I've never, ever experienced a delay. Just dumb luck.

Well here we are West of West Point babysitting.

Sometimes Wives live where they want to live, and we say, "Yes, Honey."

i learned my lesson when I bought a house on Jupiter Island Fla, without her seeing the house and announced that we were all moving.

You've told this story before.

It's no less astonishing the second time.

$1000 bucks says that at some point in the ensuing... discussion... she said, "what the hell is wrong with you??"

Ya gotta admit, it's a reasonable question.

Sorry, but that was an absolutely brilliant decision to not put NJ taxpayers on the hook for the inevitable cost overruns in the billions or tens of billions.
Exactly. Republican or Democrat, doesn't matter. As it was structured, New Jersey taxpayers would have been on the hook for every penny the tunnel went over budget. Based on every other project like this in the area, it would have been tens of billions. Enough to bankrupt the state.

Hey I have an idea! Since the government is so great at running stuff, let's put them in charge of even more! LOLOLOL!

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT