ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJTransit nightmare from last night

I feel everyone pain. I use to take the train in and transfer in Newark on the path until I realized the bus into Port Authority was the best way in for me. Did it for 3 years forty years ago until I found a better job in New Jersey. Back then it probably 50% better than the present. Been retired for 10 years and don’t miss working.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
The fact that that portal bridge exists in NJ decades and decades after it was obsolete tells you everything you need to know about the sad state of mass transit in NJ...there is no way to sugar coat it!
Well, there’s your problem.

Why would you use sugar instead of paint to cover a bridge?

As a slightly unrelated diversion...

Knowing that the trains are overcrowded, the people who try to occupy a 2nd seat with their bag or belongings should be thrown off the train. Have seen this too many times on the Morris-Essex line. People put their bag on the seat next to them. Someone stops and asks if someone is sitting there, they tell them that they are "saving the seat for a friend" or "someone is sitting here". Ultimately, no one shows up, and the people standing in the aisle will glare at them until Secaucus or Newark.
Thats a complete dick move. I've seen people with bags but everytime they move them when asked. It's a weak deterrent strategy best served for lower demand / off hour trains. The pure lying move is terrible form. Surprised actually, because would expect words or fisticuffs to result from that type of thing.

Reactions: Wolv RU and RUnTeX
Thats a complete dick move. I've seen people with bags but everytime they move them when asked. It's a weak deterrent strategy best served for lower demand / off hour trains. The pure lying move is terrible form. Surprised actually, because would expect words or fisticuffs to result from that type of thing.
Depending on the day, I've seen a couple of people speak up...I've also seen someone just pick up the offender's bag, put it on the ground and sit down. That started an argument.

Depending on the day, I've seen a couple of people speak up...I've also seen someone just pick up the offender's bag, put it on the ground and sit down. That started an argument.

When I took the bus from Bloomfield to Port Auth it would be full hitting Rt 3. Every once in awhile the only seat would be next to the KNOWN crazy lady. She would jab you with her umbrella and complain about legs touching. I had to sit next to her 3 days in a row. Third day of being poked and prodded by her pointed umbrella. "Lady, this is a small as I can get. It you poke me with the thing again, I will have you arrested when we get to NYC."

Fascinating... you pump a guy in Trump who spent most of his RE career financing buildings on other people’s money, avoiding taxes and junk bonds.

As for your peculiar garbage collecting example, many in “joisey” actually do pay for pickup. I pay a private company to pickup trash as well as recycling... sooooo what else you got?
outside of my trump 2020 with flags.. .what does he have to do with the overspending that happens in bloated shit hole joisey???... you joisey people are SOFT... get outta there and get to a RURAL area and see how tough you really are... you won't last at all... you'd prolly see a bear in the woods around your house a freak out.. lol... joisey softies

outside of my trump 2020 with flags.. .what does he have to do with the overspending that happens in bloated shit hole joisey???... you joisey people are SOFT... get outta there and get to a RURAL area and see how tough you really are... you won't last at all... you'd prolly see a bear in the woods around your house a freak out.. lol... joisey softies
Where did you live prior to Virginia? My best friend lived just outside Lynchburg for 7 years. There were things he liked and things he didn't...like everywhere i suppose.

More delays this morning. Not joking, 20 minute delays on the 8:48a eastbound from Cranford. 10am meetings are a roll of the dice these days if I want the privilege of dropping off my kids at school. Dad+Full time job +NJ transit has become an impossible equation

We have a rail system that is worse than many of the third world countries.
And NJ Transit is the worse rail system in the world. There is no close second.

NJ must have been happy to see you go. What took you so long? Were you too scared to pull the trigger sooner? Not everyone can hack it in NJ.

Just ask them if they bought a ticket for their bag also, if so, I’ll keep walking, but if not you gotta move it.

Other good one I often think about using is when someone complains that a standee is bumping into them. As a standee in a moving bus/train, I’ll glad switch spots with whomever is annoyed by me hovering over them. (Yes yes, I know a certain amount of body control /awareness should be expected from adults, but so is a little tolerance for everyone when you’re in a sh**ty situation).

More delays this morning. Not joking, 20 minute delays on the 8:48a eastbound from Cranford. 10am meetings are a roll of the dice these days if I want the privilege of dropping off my kids at school. Dad+Full time job +NJ transit has become an impossible equation
it's a easy solution. 10:30am meetings

Reactions: RUevolution36
NJT blows and will get worse. The only possible solution is to change jobs or move.

NJ must have been happy to see you go. What took you so long? Were you too scared to pull the trigger sooner? Not everyone can hack it in NJ.
not at all... unlike you lousy libs i said if meerrrrfi got elected i'm OUT... electing a guy who on record says he's going to raise taxes and make the state a safe place for ILLEGALS... so i left... how about all them hollywood fks, did they go to canada yet like promised???? nope... they are the scared ones

As a slightly unrelated diversion...

Knowing that the trains are overcrowded, the people who try to occupy a 2nd seat with their bag or belongings should be thrown off the train. Have seen this too many times on the Morris-Essex line. People put their bag on the seat next to them. Someone stops and asks if someone is sitting there, they tell them that they are "saving the seat for a friend" or "someone is sitting here". Ultimately, no one shows up, and the people standing in the aisle will glare at them until Secaucus or Newark.
I’ve witnessed great conductors not put up with that shit...they come through like drill sergeants and make it work...

Nobody ever mentions the loss of revenue from having such crowded trains.

Conductors aren’t collecting/checking tickets.
If you have single tickets you get a lot of free rides.

Twice this week I had to take a ridiculously crowded 6pm train home from Hoboken (normally on the semi-crowded 530 train).

Both times the conductor never came around and checked tickets.

Because I work from home 1-2x a week I usually get individual tickets
(monthly pass is only cheaper if I go into the office at least 15 days in the month. Counting holidays and carryover tickets it’s usually cheaper buying individuals.
Do your math, people!

If they don’t collect because the train is too crowded - I get a free ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDiddy777

Twice this week I had to take a ridiculously crowded 6pm train home from Hoboken (normally on the semi-crowded 530 train).

(monthly pass is only cheaper if I go into the office at least 15 days in the month. Counting holidays and carryover tickets it’s usually cheaper buying individuals.
Do your math, people!

So you're complaining about crowded trains and poor service while ripping off/stealing the ride ! I get it rather than help correct the problem, you're part of the problem !

m_5898c877eaf0305ba70d2ece.jpg

So you're complaining about crowded trains and poor service while ripping off/stealing the ride ! I get it rather than help correct the problem, you're part of the problem !

Reading comprehension goes a long way.
Nowhere in that post was a complaint.
Stating facts of a situation is not complaining.

Let me ask you - if you speed while driving or don't signal when changing lanes, do you go to the police station and ask them to issue you a ticket?

When approached for a ticket, I happily provide it upon request every time without issue.

Reactions: redking
Don't yell at me and how I drive. The faster I drive the sooner I get off the roadway and give it to other drivers.

I have ez pass and that gives my money to whatever the State of NJ wants to do with it.

Buy your tickets for the next day at the machines as you go home.

N J a$$holes. It’s why it’s the armpit of America. A well deserved description. Down here in TN they would never pull that bullish!t.

Reactions: RU Cheese
Hey, you want a new tunnel, lower fares, newer buses, etc. Bernie S. Will meet/exceed your needs. It’s all free, baby!

They don't have commuter trains in TN, do they?

Mostly buses but there is a train that runs from Nashville out to Lebanon with a bunch of stops along the way (Hermitage, Donelson, Mt Juliet, etc). There’s talk of a light rail but the plan from a year of two back got rejected. Too ambitious and expensive. I reckon they’ll scale it back an get it approved

Last edited:
Some really interesting context

Article written about political patronage hires at NJ Transit by Bergen Record

Anonymous, uncalled for response from @njtransit. Dan Bryan, senior advisor to the Governor slams NJ Transit - tweet removed

NJ Transit claims rogue employee tweeted.

It comes out that the tweet came from Stewart Mader, a patronage hire who is supposed to be a customer advocate, but never advocates for customers at the direction of the NJ Transit chief administrative officer Jeannie Kwon, the central player in a storm over the hiring of a relative of the embattled agency’s CFO

An article comes out this AM detailing the process of Mader's hiring (hint: connections to Murphy) and reveals that he was hired for a PR role, not the customer service role that NJ Transit claims he fills

WIth all of this patronage hiring and drama at NJ Transit, its no wonder nothing runs correctly

The following reporters are worth a follow on twitter

@commutinglarry
@colleenallreds
@wildstein
@dracioppi

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2020/02/...or-us-disgruntled-riders-and-senator-say.html

https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...e-questions-favoritism-executives/4806033002/

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2020/02/...ppropriate-tweet-slammed-by-govs-advisor.html

https://newjerseyglobe.com/governor...shing-reporter-was-done-at-direction-of-kwon/

Anonymous, uncalled for response from @njtransit. Dan Bryan, senior advisor to the Governor slams NJ Transit - tweet removed

It comes out that the tweet came from Stewart Mader, a patronage hire who is supposed to be a customer advocate, but never advocates for customers at the direction of the NJ Transit chief administrative officer Jeannie Kwon, the central player in a storm over the hiring of a relative of the embattled agency’s CFO

An article comes out this AM detailing the process of Mader's hiring (hint: connections to Murphy) and reveals that he was hired for a PR role, not the customer service role that NJ Transit claims he fills

WIth all of this patronage hiring and drama at NJ Transit, its no wonder nothing runs correctly

@commutinglarry
@colleenallreds
@wildstein
@dracioppi

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2020/02/...or-us-disgruntled-riders-and-senator-say.html

https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...e-questions-favoritism-executives/4806033002/

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2020/02/...ppropriate-tweet-slammed-by-govs-advisor.html

https://newjerseyglobe.com/governor...shing-reporter-was-done-at-direction-of-kwon/
there is so much patronage hiring at the state level. and even more in local town & municipality government. everyone should be taking a close look at who your mayors and administrators are hiring/appointing.

Reactions: soundcrib

Do your math, people!

Most commuters have a monthly pass or use the app, so no loss in revenue there. I see very few people use paper tickets anymore. I commute generally 5 days a week to Hoboken. If the train is that crowded, you deserve a free ride.

Reactions: NickRU714
FYI

There is a petition out there to replace the management of Nj Transit with competent individuals.

Not my petition, but I'm fed up with the constant delays and lack of communication, so I'm sharing

Please consider signing

https://www.change.org/p/njtransit-...il&utm_source=recruit_sign_digest&utm_term=cs

@commutinglarry
@colleenallreds
@wildstein
@dracioppi

There is a petition out there to replace the management of Nj Transit with competent individuals.

...so basically ANYONE??

FYI

Not my petition, but I'm fed up with the constant delays and lack of communication, so I'm sharing

Please consider signing

https://www.change.org/p/njtransit-bring-in-an-experienced-leadership-team?cs_tk=AmCFMulvRV3pAa7NWl4AAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvFcro7q55-4dpzsg6pPaUvw=&utm_campaign=a2242c9271d94a64b8a1cb28d6132427&utm_content=initial_v0_0_1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=recruit_sign_digest&utm_term=cs
Too bad Amtrak is the problem here.

Too bad Amtrak is the problem here.
Amtrak is not the entire problem. NJ Transit is slow to resolve labor issues, resulting in engineer shortages. They are slow or don't maintain their equipment so there are constantly full trains and service outages due to breakdowns. Overloading of the tunnel is on NJ transit. Maintenance of the Amtrak line is on Amtrak.

Some delays are truly accidents (like the Tuesday night delays), but NJ Transit rarely communicates with passengers -- the agency has suffered greatly since DeLibero and Warrington ran NJT. When you see cancellations due to engineer availabilty that's on NJT. Random cancellations on the days when there is Meadowlands train service, that's on NJT.

If the tunnel under the Hudson river gives out, that's on Amtrak.

Reactions: Bleed_Scarlet
Amtrak is not the entire problem. NJ Transit is slow to resolve labor issues, resulting in engineer shortages. They are slow or don't maintain their equipment so there are constantly full trains and service outages due to breakdowns. Overloading of the tunnel is on NJ transit. Maintenance of the Amtrak line is on Amtrak.

Some delays are truly accidents (like the Tuesday night delays), but NJ Transit rarely communicates with passengers -- the agency has suffered greatly since DeLibero and Warrington ran NJT. When you see cancellations due to engineer availabilty that's on NJT. Random cancellations on the days when there is Meadowlands train service, that's on NJT.

If the tunnel under the Hudson river gives out, that's on Amtrak.

Last July I waited two hours for a train in spring valley, only to see that it was cancelled due to lack of engineer availability.

ADVERTISEMENT