ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Novavax vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom1944

All American
Feb 22, 2008
Will this vaccine end up being the vaccine that those under 12 end up getting
My understanding is the results were good and there were no problems. As I understand the reporting the vaccine is also based on the tried and true vaccine process that people are familiar with

Covaxin (developed in India by Bharat Biotech, will be distributed in North America by Ocugen of Malvern PA, upon FDA approval) is of the same ilk (old school vaccine based on dead virus cells), and will likely be safer for children and will be a strong candidate for booster shots that are effective against emerging variants.

Reactions: tom1944
My understanding is the results were good and there were no problems. As I understand the reporting the vaccine is also based on the tried and true vaccine process that people are familiar with
Protein-based vaccines are more common than mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna were the first ever approved) and viral vector vaccines (J&J; a few have been approved for other diseases), but they're still way less common than killed or attenuated (weakened) live virus vaccines Posted about this elsewhere 2 days ago, since not generally allowed to post on that stuff here for reasons I'll never truly understand, but here's what I posted:

Great news on Novavax's phase III clinical trial in the US/Mexico on their protein-based vaccine, which showed an overall 90% efficacy in prevention of COVID and ~100% efficacy in prevention of severe COVID/death. While we already have enough vaccines in the US for everyone eligible, the world needs vaccines badly, so it likely will be deployed more elsewhere, although it might be a good choice for a "booster" shot in the US, should that ever be deemed necessary (possible, but not needed yet), as it's a different immune-triggering mechanism than the mRNA vaccines from Pfizer/Moderna or the adenovirus vector vaccine from J&J.

I imagine there might be some who might prefer receiving a protein that mimics the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein and triggers an immune response so that the body is ready to fight any real CV infection, although that's also a "foreign" object being injected that isn't normally in one's body, so I don't personally see the distinction (the mRNA and viral vector vaccines provide the genetic instructions for cells to make the CV spike proteins to trigger a similar immune response). That, plus the fact that we're simply not seeing more than very rare serious side effects from the mRNA or viral vector vaccines should be enough for people, but apparently not. Good to have options.

https://www.nytimes.com/.../covid-vaccine-novavax.html

https://ir.novavax.com/.../novavax-covid-19-vaccine...

Derek Lowe also weighed in on the Novavax vaccine yesterday, hailing it as another great option to have for the world, in particular, since the US has enough vaccines. He also spent a lot of time debunking recent concerns expressed by some about having "spike protein" floating around in one's body after vaccinations from any of the approved vaccines, showing these are not a risk and explaining why, in great detail. Good read.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeli...ax-vaccine-data-and-spike-proteins-in-general

Numbers so in your opinion any of these vaccines would be a safe and viable option for a young child?

My granddaughter will sooner or later be eligible for a vaccine and would like to make an informed decision of what would be the best option

Since I believe that overall the vaccine is safer than dealing with the virus and its variants I would like her to get vaccinated when eligible

Numbers so in your opinion any of these vaccines would be a safe and viable option for a young child?

My granddaughter will sooner or later be eligible for a vaccine and would like to make an informed decision of what would be the best option

Since I believe that overall the vaccine is safer than dealing with the virus and its variants I would like her to get vaccinated when eligible
Unequivocally, yes. The relative risk reduction for children is far less than for adults, especially older adults, but the benefits of the vaccines in reducing the low risks to children from getting COVID (and the benefit of children then not being an infection vector) clearly outweigh the zero risk to children from the vaccines (no severe side effects seen to date).

I bought this stock at prices between $4 and $6 in 2019. Biggest trading win of my life

Reactions: MulletCork
Unequivocally, yes. The relative risk reduction for children is far less than for adults, especially older adults, but the benefits of the vaccines in reducing the low risks to children from getting COVID (and the benefit of children then not being an infection vector) clearly outweigh the zero risk to children from the vaccines (no severe side effects seen to date).

please don't post personal speculation as fact.

reality is, we don't know the long range effects of the vaccines, nor the long term effects of covid.

i personally got vaccinated because i'm old.

were i young, i probably wouldn't have.

reality is, there were always 2 different universes with covid, the at risk and not at risk, (and a transitional somewhat at risk group in between), and the powers that be's decision to treat how we deal with the virus both medically and economically as if there were only one universe, has been a total and complete disaster beyond belief, both medically and economically.

I am of the believe that the potential long term side effects of a vaccine are less than the potential long term side effect of covid and any variants and therefore side on getting the vaccine. Even for young people.

Others can make that decision for themselves I do not care.

Reactions: FastMJ and scripts

reality is, we don't know the long range effects of the vaccines, nor the long term effects of covid.

reality is, there were always 2 different universes with covid, the at risk and not at risk, (and a transitional somewhat at risk group in between), and the powers that be's decision to treat how we deal with the virus both medically and economically as if there were only one universe, has been a total and complete disaster beyond belief, both medically and economically.
You should know by know that I don't deal in speculation, I deal in scientific data. In addition to the data in the quoted post below from last week, detailing relative risks vs. benefits of vaccines in children (granted a much smaller advantage than for the elderly, but still a signifiant advantage), there have been even more excellent safety and efficacy data that have come out. The first article amplifies on the data I shared in the post below, analyzing risks/benefits for children.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/opinio...4&utm_term=NL_Daily_DHE_dual-gmail-definition

And in answer to your second question about long term effects, here is a great summary from a couple of medical experts (including Dr. Paul Offit) on Medpage talking about the long-term safety of the COVID vaccines we have, noting that while a few rare side effects have been seen within the typical 6 week window, we're at 6+ months out in the rollout (and 10+ months on the clinical trials) and there are no indications of any signficant longer term effects, plus, past experience shows that severe side effects most often appear within 6 weeks of vaccination. The quote below is insightful on longer term side effects.

"If you look historically at severe vaccine safety problems, they have occurred about 6 weeks after getting a dose. I can't think of an example of a severe side effect that isn't seen within this time frame after vaccination. I know of no precedent of a long-term effect that comes up 5 or 10 years later," Offit told MedPage Today.

BS isn't needed to make the case to get children vaccinated - just the facts. If I were a parent of a child I'd have zero hesitation to vaccinate my child. The risks of the vaccine are essentially zero (zero severe side effects have been reported so far in children, although rare allergic responses are possible, but easily dealt with) and the benefits, while clearly not as great as for middle-aged and older people, are still substantial.

We've had about 15 deaths per 1MM kids under 18 from COVID (350 in 23MM infected, roughly, out of 68MM, assuming ~35% infected, as per antibody studies) and I haven't heard of anyone under 18 who has been vaccinated who got COVID and died (it's about 1 in 1MM for those 18-65).

Plus, the rate of hospitalization is generally about 3-5X greater than the death rate so maybe 40-70 per 1MM kids who've gotten COVID (and again the vaccines bring that to near zero) become hospitalized. In addition to affording nearly full protection from a fairly low risk, vaccination makes it far less likely that those kids will infect others.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...7lhW2F9DGG8d6awzCV5r0Gj5hxXw4zBaeo1cNuHZvC2As

Christ here we go again. It’s not personal speculation but borne out in the data. It’s pretty clear that the long term effects of COVID are far worse given the overall safety of the vaccines.

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I bought this stock at prices between $4 and $6 in 2019. Biggest trading win of my life
Congrats on the way early call on NVAX. We bought a a large position for clients in January 2020 around the $8 level.
The profits that we've booked have been astronomical throughout 2020 into 2021. And still long the position, albeit after selling a significant portion.

You should know by know that I don't deal in speculation, I deal in scientific data. In addition to the data in the quoted post below from last week, detailing relative risks vs. benefits of vaccines in children (granted a much smaller advantage than for the elderly, but still a signifiant advantage), there have been even more excellent safety and efficacy data that have come out. The first article amplifies on the data I shared in the post below, analyzing risks/benefits for children.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/opinion/second-opinions/93055?xid=nl_mpt_DHE_2021-06-14&eun=g1694445d0r&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily Headlines Top Cat HeC 2021-06-14&utm_term=NL_Daily_DHE_dual-gmail-definition

And in answer to your second question about long term effects, here is a great summary from a couple of medical experts (including Dr. Paul Offit) on Medpage talking about the long-term safety of the COVID vaccines we have, noting that while a few rare side effects have been seen within the typical 6 week window, we're at 6+ months out in the rollout (and 10+ months on the clinical trials) and there are no indications of any signficant longer term effects, plus, past experience shows that severe side effects most often appear within 6 weeks of vaccination. The quote below is insightful on longer term side effects.

"If you look historically at severe vaccine safety problems, they have occurred about 6 weeks after getting a dose. I can't think of an example of a severe side effect that isn't seen within this time frame after vaccination. I know of no precedent of a long-term effect that comes up 5 or 10 years later," Offit told MedPage Today.

while i hope you are correct about the long term risks of the vaccine vs covid for those not in at risk groups, it's still just best guess speculation, not fact, as there is no possible way to know the long term effects of either in the short term, which is where we are now.

the reality that big pharma have continually put share price above consumer safety, doesn't help things.

the reality that govt on both sides of the aisle lies all day every day, doesn't help either.

that we can not trust those we most need to is obviously a huge problem at a time like this, and even if we could, it's still just best guess speculation at this point.

we don't know what we don't know, and only time will tell, but this whole thing has only magnified the huge problem of our leadership on both sides not being trustworthy on anything.

while i hope you are correct about the long term risks of the vaccine vs covid for those not in at risk groups, it's still just best guess speculation, not fact, as there is no possible way to know the long term effects of either in the short term, which is where we are now.

the reality that big pharma have continually put share price above consumer safety, doesn't help things.

the reality that govt on both sides of the aisle lies all day every day, doesn't help either.

that we can not trust those we most need to is obviously a huge problem at a time like this, and even if we could, it's still just best guess speculation at this point.

we don't know what we don't know, and only time will tell, but this whole thing has only magnified the huge problem of our leadership on both sides not being trustworthy on anything.
But the same goes for any long term effects of having Covid either

With your logic, you'd never ever take any medication and probably shouldn't be eating food, since you can't ever be 100% sure there isn't some rare bad side effect from either. That's ridiculous. Serious vaccine risks are essentially nil to maybe a few in 1MM for certain shorter term side effects (blood clots/allergic responses) and there simply haven't been any serious long-term effects through 3/4 of a year so far and you have one of the foremost experts on vaccines telling you that there simply haven't been substantial side effects ever seen for vaccines that manifested after 6 weeks.

And if you didn't see it in another thread, a recent survey revealed that 96% of practicing physicians have been vaccinated. (see below) - I doubt any other group comes close to that overwhelming of a majority in favor of getting vaccinated. The quote above and the survey of docs have zero to do with politics or "sides" - just science and almost every scientist in the world is basically telling people to get vaccinated. I get that our politics have become very adversarial, but to me politics aren't even an issue when it comes to the safety and efficacy of these vaccines.

Also, you're still sticking with "those not in at risk groups" which is an incorrect description - there are certainly low risk groups (children), but no zero-risk groups.

With your logic, you'd never ever take any medication and probably shouldn't be eating food, since you can't ever be 100% sure there isn't some rare bad side effect from either. That's ridiculous. Serious vaccine risks are essentially nil to maybe a few in 1MM for certain shorter term side effects (blood clots/allergic responses) and there simply haven't been any serious long-term effects through 3/4 of a year so far and you have one of the foremost experts on vaccines telling you that there simply haven't been substantial side effects ever seen for vaccines that manifested after 6 weeks.

And if you didn't see it in another thread, a recent survey revealed that 96% of practicing physicians have been vaccinated. (see below) - I doubt any other group comes close to that overwhelming of a majority in favor of getting vaccinated. The quote above and the survey of docs have zero to do with politics or "sides" - just science and almost every scientist in the world is basically telling people to get vaccinated. I get that our politics have become very adversarial, but to me politics aren't even an issue when it comes to the safety and efficacy of these vaccines.

Also, you're still sticking with "those not in at risk groups" which is an incorrect description - there are certainly low risk groups (children), but no zero-risk groups.

Don't we have nurses so that doctors won't kill us? (that's a nurse meme, don't blast me over it).

Ashish is a random dude on the internet

lighten up Francis, i'm not arguing against being vaxed in the slightest, (i got vaxed myself, but again, i'm old).

i'm just saying vaxing youngers with little risk from covid itself is a tougher choice, and way to tough for me to weigh in on either way.

as for the long term effects of covid or the vax, that's impossible for anyone to know since we're still in the short term on both.

i have zero issue with anyone promoting vax for all ages, as long as they acknowledge that we still don't for sure the long range landscape either way.

i am anti forcing anyone though at this point, until we know more.

Reactions: bac2therac
You should know by know that I don't deal in speculation.
Even though we agree on vaccines, this statement is freaking hysterical!

giphy.gif

I don’t believe there were any heart issues associated with the vaccine this thread is about

I don’t believe there were any heart issues associated with the vaccine this thread is about
I think the domestic demand for the Novavax vaccine is understated because people have painted anyone hesitant to take the modified rna and viral vector vaccines as crazy anti-vaxxers.

Given that the protein subunit method has been used in a few other vaccines for a while, this vaccine delivers a finite amount of spike protein rather than getting your body to produce an undetermined amount, and there is less concern with the adjuvant used, the Novavax vaccine has the opportunity to make inroads with those previously unwilling to take the three already offered.

Novavax needs to do a good PR job to get the differences in their offering out to the public.

Then, it might be a good alternative because it is more tried and tested than mRNA. Anyone ignoring the heart issues wants to ignore science and the scientific process. These two clips (same video, cued up) illuminate the problem with the so-called "science!!" crowd that wants to silence questions and dissent. Science does not mean silence.

Then, it might be a good alternative because it is more tried and tested than mRNA. Anyone ignoring the heart issues wants to ignore science and the scientific process. These two clips (same video, cued up) illuminate the problem with the so-called "science!!" crowd that wants to silence questions and dissent. Science does not mean silence.

My instincts tell me a high percentage of cardiologists received the vaccines so on its face I would bet the risk of heart issues from the vaccine were clearly less than the overall health risks of covid.

My instincts tell me a high percentage of cardiologists received the vaccines so on its face I would bet the risk of heart issues from the vaccine were clearly less than the overall health risks of covid.
This idea of “the risks of the vaccine are less than the risks of the disease” is a new standard.

Previously, drugs have been pulled from the market after adverse affects that totaled a tiny fraction of the number of people taking the drug.

Reactions: Knight Shift
This idea of “the risks of the vaccine are less than the risks of the disease” is a new standard.

Previously, drugs have been pulled from the market after adverse affects that totaled a tiny fraction of the number of people taking the drug.
I am only discussing my standard for getting a vaccine

Juneteenth and all. Holidays take precedence of patient safety and pushing more vaxes so their big pharma business partners can make more $$$$.
Ridiculous post trying to connect holidays to vaccines, first of all, and your implication that vaccine safey hasn't been monitored, analyzed and communicated very well to date is way off base - the US's VAERS system is incredibly thorough with even extraordinarily rare vaccine side effects being discovered (anaphylaxis, clotting and now, potentially, myocarditis). I'm hoping for your sake that you overcame your hesitancy and got vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT