ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Now it's real Mantle 52 card

I remember seeing a 51 Bowman Mantle card in an antique shop in Vermont years ago for like $80. It was in ok shape but far from mint.

somewhat related, my friend who knows nothing about sports was cleaning out his grandmothers basement after she passed away. He texts me to say he found some baseballs with signatures on them and sends me photos to see if I’ve heard of any of the players. Dude found 2 babe Ruth balls, a dual signed Ruth/Gehrig ball, and a ball signed by almost the entire ‘27 Yankees. I was able to pick up one Ruth ball from him.

Reactions: goru1869
I remember seeing a 51 Bowman Mantle card in an antique shop in Vermont years ago for like $80. It was in ok shape but far from mint.

somewhat related, my friend who knows nothing about sports was cleaning out his grandmothers basement after she passed away. He texts me to say he found some baseballs with signatures on them and sends me photos to see if I’ve heard of any of the players. Dude found 2 babe Ruth balls, a dual signed Ruth/Gehrig ball, and a ball signed by almost the entire ‘27 Yankees. I was able to pick up one Ruth ball from him.
That’s 250 thousand

If they truly are in good condition. You’ve got what we call in the business twi-light cards of hall of famers:
Clemente
Billy Wiiliams
McCovey
Mays
Gibson
Kaline
Pull them out and get them graded, you could be sitting on thousands of dollars.

Zappaa,

I also have many 1968-1973 among others that I have been thinking of selling. Reggie Jackson rookie, Nolan Ryan rookie, etc. Mantle card the year he retired. Will have to check if I have any of your cards........

My favorite cards are actually the large 1969 Topps Basketball cards with Lew Alcindor, Jerry West, Walt Frazier, Wilt Chamberlain, etc. that I probably have almost the whole set.

For most of my life I said I would never sell them, but I am really reconsidering now if I possibly get pretty good money, but don't want to get ripped off.

I have a full sets of 1985 to 1989 that because of so many made, I have heard are basically worthless.

I will have to check out PSA. I actually just signed up at a site called PWCC, but know nothing about them other than it is some type of auction site(I guess like Ebay).

I also have signed pictures from a bunch of the championship Knicks that I used to mail letters to when I was 11-13 years old and they would send back in manila envelopes signed 8x11 black and white pictures with my name Mark on them. I always heard if things are signed to a particular name, that they were worth a lot less.

Thanks and Best of Luck,
Groz

ADVERTISEMENT