ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Now that most of us are home, besides checking this board what are you reading/watching

Been catching up on a lot of movies that I have had on the list for awhile. The most compelling thing I have watched so far is Downfall. It is about the last ten days of WWII in Hitlers bunker below the reichs chancellory. It is told from the point of view of his last secretary who stayed with him until after he committed suicide.
For anyone who is a WWII history buff this is a story told by Somone who was there for it all. All in German but even with subtitles a very compelling movie.

Downfall is a very good movie. Great acting

After watching DONT F*** WITH CATS, will I be able to keep my sanity after watching TIGER KING?

Just watched a really good movie on Starz called Maiden about an all women's sailing team which enters an around the world race.

After watching DONT F*** WITH CATS, will I be able to keep my sanity after watching TIGER KING?

That Tiger series is trending #1. I'm curious about it, but nervous to watch after seeing the other and what was done.

Watched the first episode of Tiger King and while it was very interesting and entertaining, it didn't leave me wanting to watch more of it.

Don't F*** with Cats was so riveting that I had to keep watching even though it was so disturbing. Though at first I thought it was 8 episodes, and I wasn't going to be able to make it through all of that, 3 I could handle.

Reactions: Jm0513
For WWF/WWE fans, there was a two part series on Vice/ YouTube DARK SIDE OF WRESTLING, THE CHRIS BENOIT STORY. TBH, Chris Benoit was one of my favorite wrestlers and probably one of the best ever. However, what he did was CRIMINAL, PERIOD.

The two shows, with Chris Jerricho, Chavo Guerrero Jr, Vickie Guerrero was brilliant and brutal. It really put a light on the victims: Nancy and Daniel Benoit, along with the two victims left alive carrying the most who Jerricho tried to help: older son David Benoit and Nancy's Sister.

Just watched a really good movie on Starz called Maiden about an all women's sailing team which enters an around the world race.

It would have been a better story had Maiden finished better than 18th (out of 21 finishers).

As some may recall, ocean racing is one of my passions. If anyone is looking for a really great book on the subject, I HIGHLY recommend Close to the Wind. It's the story of the 1996/97 Vendee Globe Race and Pete Goss' rescue of Italian sailor Rafael Dinelli.

If you're interested in sailing and women's accomplishments, there are a number of books written about Ellen MacArthur, who competed in multiple Vendee Globe races and, unlike the redoubtable Isabel Autissier, did not make a career out of being rescued by the Australian Navy.

It would have been a better story had Maiden finished better than 18th (out of 21 finishers).

As some may recall, ocean racing is one of my passions. If anyone is looking for a really great book on the subject, I HIGHLY recommend Close to the Wind. It's the story of the 1996/97 Vendee Globe Race and Pete Goss' rescue of Italian sailor Rafael Dinelli.

If you're interested in sailing and women's accomplishments, there are a number of books written about Ellen MacArthur, who competed in multiple Vendee Globe races and, unlike the redoubtable Isabel Autissier, did not make a career out of being rescued by the Australian Navy.
Ha, well they break it down into "classes" in which there were 3 boats in their class, and they did win 2 of the 5 leg's, and they came in 2nd overall. Don't know what the classes were based on. They never mention the 18th out of 21.

Still I'm fine with the story as is, winning 2 or the 3 legs, and really just finishing an around the world race is a impressive enough. I don't need every story to be about the greatest of the greatest.

Ha, well they break it down into "classes" in which there were 3 boats in their class, and they did win 2 of the 5 leg's, and they came in 2nd overall. Don't know what the classes were based on. They never mention the 18th out of 21.

Still I'm fine with the story as is, winning 2 or the 3 legs, and really just finishing an around the world race is a impressive enough. I don't need every story to be about the greatest of the greatest.

Classes are based mostly on boat size.

Purists will tell you that the format of the old Whitbread was bullshit, anyway. As you pointed out, it's a staged race. Real men (and women) don't stop every few thousand miles to spend two weeks fixing the boat. Real men (and women) leave from Point A and return to Point A and if anything touches land in between, they're out.

Classes are based mostly on boat size.

Purists will tell you that the format of the old Whitbread was bullshit, anyway. As you pointed out, it's a staged race. Real men (and women) don't stop every few thousand miles to spend two weeks fixing the boat. Real men (and women) leave from Point A and return to Point A and if anything touches land in between, they're out.
Ya, so based on boat size they did pretty well.

And I'm no purist, so I don't have issues with touching land

Sidenote I know a guy who participated in a rowing race across the Atlantic. Watched a little documentary on it, and it was a pretty grueling affair both physically and mentally. Turns out the guy he teamed up with have never communicated since the race.

Just finished reading Lori Gottlieb’s recent release, “Maybe You Should Talk To Someone,” which was a wonderful read. Now reading Plato’s “Five Dialogues” and re-reading “Tuesdays With Morrie” by Mitch Albom. Next in cue is Dale Berra’s “My Dad, Yogi,” and after that is Johnny Cash’s bio by Robert Hilburn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jm0513 and thegock
This is one of my favorite books. :)
I can totally see that in you since you're always thinking. I first read it about 15 years ago, and recently decided I was gonna go through it again. When that much time goes by between readings we change as individuals and these works frequently take on different and deeper meanings.

For folks interested in WWII naval history, now would be a great time to indulge in a little Clay Blair. Blair is considered the definitive authority on WWII submarine warfare and his 2 volume "Hitler's U-Boat War" is both weighty (at nearly 1700 pages, total) and detailed. It is, quite literally, a day by day account of every U-boat engagement during the course of the war.

Blair also wrote "Silent Victory: America's Submarine War Against Japan". When published in 1975 it was the first historical work critical of the USN's management of submarine assets in the Pacific - from the horrific torpedo failures to the ridiculous ROE during the first couple years of the war.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Reading a lot of news including headlines I usually skip over. Just read an article with the following headline: Uranus has started leaking gas, NASA scientists confirm. Can't make this sh!t up

Reactions: RU-05

Have you ever read Patrick O'Brian? I've read his entire Aubrey/Maturin series about life and adventures in the Royal Navy during the Age of Sail. You might really enjoy it.

Have you ever read Patrick O'Brian? I've read his entire Aubrey/Maturin series about life and adventures in the Royal Navy during the Age of Sail. You might really enjoy it.

I've read several of the Aubrey books, but don't know that I've read them all. I did enjoy them. I found it interesting, though, that the movie completely diminished Maturin's character - in the books he's a British intelligence officer, but no trace of that background exists in the film.

I've read several of the Aubrey books, but don't know that I've read them all. I did enjoy them. I found it interesting, though, that the movie completely diminished Maturin's character - in the books he's a British intelligence officer, but no trace of that background exists in the film.

Yup. That entire aspect of his character was just hinted at in a single line "The French have their spies....as do we." Followed by a knowing look.

Yup. That entire aspect of his character was just hinted at in a single line "The French have their spies....as do we." Followed by a knowing look.

Still a great movie, though. Because one must always choose the lesser of two weevils.

Still a great movie, though. Because one must always choose the lesser of two weevils.
OIP.n3Qxh3l7womVDXGnkXgJJgHaEK

Not a suggestion of what to watch but got an email from FIOS and if you're a customer of theirs, they're making available some channels through part of the month or the whole month of April. If you don't have premium or a reduced tv package they're making available the premium channels for different durations and also 80+ other channels. So for those who are FIOS subscribers, it might open options of things to watch.

https://www.verizon.com/home/promo/...e06122c9ea15ba3ce413fb254d9fb31f08c1c4feeca84

We watched NJ born Tom Papa's latest stand-up routine on Netflix last night. It was pretty good, and for those with little ones was relatively clean as far as comedians go.

ADVERTISEMENT