ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Area Hockey Fans

Who was the back up for Lundqvist a few years ago? Can’t remember his name but thought he was more than pretty good.

10 of the next 13 games are at MSG. If they want to have any chance at the playoffs getting 8 wins is really needed

Igor Shestyorkin to start tomorrow night against The Avalanche... Lundqvist is the back-up.
He’s hands down the best goalie prospect in the world...let’s see if this is a changing of the guard!?
What did you think of Igor, zaps? I didn't watch the game on screen, but I heard despite the two early goals he let up, he "played really well". Too early to tell?

What did you think of Igor, zaps? I didn't watch the game on screen, but I heard despite the two early goals he let up, he "played really well". Too early to tell?

Not Zap, but glove was really good; controlled rebounds well. I'm sure nerves played a part.
Made a really nice clearing pass to center ice; landed flat like a saucer.

The second goal was a bad giveaway at Ranger blue line to McKinnon; hard to imagine a more glaring miscue. LOL

Reactions: lilphilw
Not Zap, but glove was really good; controlled rebounds well. I'm sure nerves played a part.
Made a really nice clearing pass to center ice; landed flat like a saucer.

The second goal was a bad giveaway at Ranger blue line to McKinnon; hard to imagine a more glaring miscue. LOL

Controlling rebounds is big. One can have size, speed, lightning quick reflexes, and a quick-draw glove hand, but if you give up fat rebounds on every shot, you're playing with fire.

Controlling rebounds is big. One can have size, speed, lightning quick reflexes, and a quick-draw glove hand, but if you give up fat rebounds on every shot, you're playing with fire.

Especially with the Rangers d Corp right now; they have difficulty with the slot area. It's actually a really bad problem.; insert face palm here.

I was at the RAC watching one of the more insane high level basketball games I’ve ever seen... RU won by double digits while making only 4 out of the paint jump shots all night...shear madness

Last night in Newark,I saw a rarity:A game in which the only penalty of the game was called on a goaltender.That hadn't happened since 1968.On this one,the go ahead goal was scored in the third period.Fortunately,the Islanders tied it up and won it in overtime.

Some bizarre banter in this thread. People arguing over whether Hughes or Kakko is better when neither have completed a full season yet, and most likely neither will make the playoffs this year anyway so who cares who is better right now? You can tell from watching that they both have skill and will most likely both be great players.

Somewhat off-topic, but for anyone who didn't see McDavid's goal against the Leafs the other night, check this out. He makes this ridiculous move while looking off to the side as if he's about to make a pass. Even the Leafs fan behind the net applauded it.

Last edited:
Cam talbot was a stud a few years ago for rags. When lundqvist was hurt. I think that’s who he is referring too. He was traded for a 2nd round pick i believe.

@e5fdny
Maybe, but Raanta had a good run as well. And, now Georgiev is looking pretty good. Definitely a pattern here. NYR backups have been above average for many years. Their goalie coach Benoit Allaire is the only constant, so he probably should get most of the credit here.

Who was the back up for Lundqvist a few years ago? Can’t remember his name but thought he was more than pretty good.

Recent strength of Rangers backups goes to the goalie coach; Benoit Allaire. Guy is really good at coaching up his guys.

Reactions: gregkoko
Maybe, but Raanta had a good run as well. And, now Georgiev is looking pretty good. Definitely a pattern here. NYR backups have been above average for many years. Their goalie coach Benoit Allaire is the only constant, so he probably should get most of the credit here.

Didn't see this then posted essentially the same.

Sorry, didn't mean to walk over your toes like that.

No it was Raanta.

I always thought the second half of the season talbot played for an injured lindqvist was special. He went from being a backup goalie at the start of the year to getting 3 draft picks in a trade. Rangers played much better with him in net.

“On February 3, 2015, Talbot became New York's temporary starting goaltender after Henrik Lundqvist suffered a ruptured blood vessel in his neck. Talbot started 24 of the Rangers' next 26 games (Mackenzie Skapski played the other two) until March 27, when Lundqvist returned to the line-up. During Lundqvist's absence, Talbot performed better in net and went 17–4–3. In fact, Talbot ended the season with a lower GAA (2.21), and a higher save percentage (.926) than Lundqvist (2.25 GAA, .922 save percentage). For his remarkable efforts towards New York's Presidents' Trophy-winning season, he received the Steve McDonald Extra Effort Award on April 6.

Edmonton OilersEdit
On June 27, 2015, Talbot was traded by the Rangers to the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for three draft picks in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.[16

In Shesterkin's second game, Rangers allowed A LOT more chaos in front of him.
Finished with 46 saves, seemed poised during the hectic moments; time will tell.

Long Islanders not doing to good vs the other locals this month.

Lost to the Devils in regulation and then needed OT to win the rematch

Getting hammered tonight at MSG

For a team that got swept by Carolina in last year's playoffs, I don't know where the "Cup Contender" language came from on this board

Long Islanders not doing to good vs the other locals this month.

Lost to the Devils in regulation and then needed OT to win the rematch

Getting hammered tonight at MSG

For a team that got swept by Carolina in last year's playoffs, I don't know where the "Cup Contender" language came from on this board
I think Panarin was a good signing.
:)

Last place

That's your retort?
LMAO

You root for a long island team for starters , that has not been to the Finals since the early 80s

How many last place finishes since that time by them? Lots.

Getting blown out of the building tonight.

Pump the brakes on the Cup contender chatter. It's laughable.

They hired a great coach, yes, but not enough talent to do anything in the playoffs, like last season.

Reactions: goru1869
That's your retort?
LMAO

You root for a long island team for starters , that has not been to the Finals since the early 80s

How many last place finishes since that time by them? Lots.

Getting blown out of the building tonight.

Pump the brakes on the Cup contender chatter. It's laughable.

They hired a great coach, yes, but not enough talent to do anything in the playoffs, like last season.
I never said contender, so you pump the brakes, sport. Like the devils never got blown out in their 19-never years. Hope you recorded those 3 cups because at the rate you're going youre not going to see any more. It's a long season, and the Isles lost Clutterbuck and a few other recently.

There's also a big football game on tonight, bitch. I'm more interested in that one.

I never said contender, so you pump the brakes, sport. Like the devils never got blown out in their 19-never years. Hope you recorded those 3 cups because at the rate you're going youre not going to see any more. It's a long season, and the Isles lost Clutterbuck and a few other recently.

There's also a big football game on tonight, bitch. I'm more interested in that one.

I didn't say that you said it

It was a few others.

Not all teams spend up to the cap, Rangers obviously can every season.
Half of the NHL teams are currently spending at or over (LTIR) the cap or within $1 million of it. Most of the others are only spending a couple million below it.

The fact the Rangers are a high revenue team has little impact since the cap was instituted.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
The Rangers paid him a ton of money, but the story is that theirs was NOT the highest offer he received.
+1
This is well documented. Panarin chose to play at MSG and go to the big time market. He sped up the rebuild by a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT