ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Giants 2020 Season Thread

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
k8zwlaj9izkiitcq9hhh.jpg

I hope I am wrong but think this is going to be another miserable year. My hopes are for them to be competitive, see Barkley kick ass again and Jones protect the ball more.

I hope I am wrong but think this is going to be another miserable year. My hopes are for them to be competitive, see Barkley kick ass again and Jones protect the ball more.
Zero reason to be confident in this team's defense.

@Kbee3 I have no confidence in this teams ability to score nor prevent the opponent from scoring. Gettlemen's approach to fixing Reese's blunders just doesn't look like it's going to come to fruition this year.

@Kbee3 I have no confidence in this teams ability to score nor prevent the opponent from scoring. Gettlemen's approach to fixing Reese's blunders just doesn't look like it's going to come to fruition this year.

Understand the sentiment when it comes to the Giants Defense. However not sure why you feel this way about the offense.

Understand the sentiment when it comes to the Giants Defense. However not sure why you feel this way about the offense.
It's going the way I thought. The Oline. Barkley is useless running the ball as he's stopped before he even gets started and Brown is not getting much time. Engram sucks as well. By time Gettleman gets around to fixing it Barkley will be done.

It's going the way I thought. The Oline. Barkley is useless running the ball as he's stopped before he even gets started and Brown is not getting much time. Engram sucks as well. By time Gettleman gets around to fixing it Barkley will be done.

Barkely is eligible for an extension after this year.
All the top RBs are getting extensions now after 3 years (see 2017 Draft - McCaffrey, Mixon, Kamara).

This team needs to show improvement this year.

BTW - well that drive ended up crap.....terrible INT in the endzone

Hey at least the Giants O does well against prevent defense. Now if we could just get the rest of the NFL to play that all game against the Giants.

Reactions: shields
He definitely does remind me of Dave Brown a bit, but pretty sure you meant Jones.

It’s criminal how terribly the Giants have mismanaged the OLine. I think this is year 4 or 5 now of absolutely no run game threat whatsoever.

That said, based on tonight, I think coaching is a significant upgrade. Let’s see where we go from here.

Reactions: koleszar
The line was just awful. So many missed assignments. Saquan had 15 carries for -6 total yards. With no preseason, they're not going to know what they have with Andrew Thomas until week 4 I think. He's definitely got a lot of catching up to do. They're better coached, but it really looks like more of the same this year unless there are significant improvements from week to week.

First game. New coach. New OC. New system. No preseason. New pieces on the O-line. Barkley will be running against easier defenses during the season. Encouraged by the way the Giants competed with several players out.

Overall, was pleased by the games on Sunday--absence of hostile crowds led to better play. And a new and improved Mahomes. Also was pleased to see that much college football on Saturday. Not sure why the media is so against sports being back, but they seemed pleased when two conferences opted out, and seemed to glory in every player that opted out or caught the virus. They were talking about not having any Fall sports; about all college sports probably being put off until 2021. The media also seemed to feature every MLB player that caught the virus and revel in games postponed.

The NBA seems to have made the bubble work, and outside of the sportswriters and announcers, the media wasn't happy about that, either, almost universal in saying the season would not resume. Dunno why the media is so against sports being back. We can't all watch Public TV and reruns of Friends.

If the Giants aren't competing for a playoff spot this year (there are 7 this year- not 6) then Gettleman needs to go.

Barkley is most liking going to look for a massive contract extension in the offseason (see Christian McCaffrey) and Gettleman will give it to him to justify the #2 pick.

How many of the "trade OBJ! We were terrible with him anyway. How many high-paid WRs did the Patriots ever had?" posts should be quoted from other threads.
If you think high-paid WR don't lead to Super Bowls....high-paid RBs are even less likely.

The line was just awful. So many missed assignments. Saquan had 15 carries for -6 total yards. With no preseason, they're not going to know what they have with Andrew Thomas until week 4 I think. He's definitely got a lot of catching up to do. They're better coached, but it really looks like more of the same this year unless there are significant improvements from week to week.

With the Giants OL, I think there has been a classic case of asking players to do things they aren't good at. How did Solder star at NE and suck for NYG? The NFL is in love with zone blocking, but a lot of OL suck at it. They might master it in practice, and fool coaches into thinking they have things down, but other coaches know how to confuse them and stuff them. NE uses zone blocking but in the no huddle where defenses cant scheme

Reactions: czxqa
First game. New coach. New OC. New system. No preseason. New pieces on the O-line. Barkley will be running against easier defenses during the season. Encouraged by the way the Giants competed with several players out.

Overall, was pleased by the games on Sunday--absence of hostile crowds led to better play. And a new and improved Mahomes. Also was pleased to see that much college football on Saturday. Not sure why the media is so against sports being back, but they seemed pleased when two conferences opted out, and seemed to glory in every player that opted out or caught the virus. They were talking about not having any Fall sports; about all college sports probably being put off until 2021. The media also seemed to feature every MLB player that caught the virus and revel in games postponed.

The NBA seems to have made the bubble work, and outside of the sportswriters and announcers, the media wasn't happy about that, either, almost universal in saying the season would not resume. Dunno why the media is so against sports being back. We can't all watch Public TV and reruns of Friends.

I think we know why they are against sports. Its all part of the agenda to tear things down.

Reactions: goru1869
If the Giants aren't competing for a playoff spot this year (there are 7 this year- not 6) then Gettleman needs to go.

Barkley is most liking going to look for a massive contract extension in the offseason (see Christian McCaffrey) and Gettleman will give it to him to justify the #2 pick.

How many of the "trade OBJ! We were terrible with him anyway. How many high-paid WRs did the Patriots ever had?" posts should be quoted from other threads.
If you think high-paid WR don't lead to Super Bowls....high-paid RBs are even less likely.

LOL....Still on the OBJ bandwagon? ....they are ready to chase him out of town in Cleveland..... he had a great rookie year and the great catch in a national televised game. Since then it's been pretty much injuries, average play and distractions......

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/09/14/cleveland-browns-move-odell-beckham/

In terms of the 2018 draft.... who were you crying for....Darnold? Jets fans already abandoning ship on him.

Reactions: redking
LOL....Still on the OBJ bandwagon? ....they are ready to chase him out of town in Cleveland..... he had a great rookie year and the great catch in a national televised game. Since then it's been pretty much injuries, average play and distractions......

In terms of the 2018 draft.... who were you crying for....Darnold? Jets fans already abandoning ship on him.
I know the Giants don't have a true #1 any longer but the OBJ trade I will never question it was the right move. He's a waste. Now the extension of his contract beforehand that was boneheaded.

Reactions: redking

But OBJ wasn't traded do to money. He was traded because he's a dipshit.

Reactions: Section124
Beckham got famous off one catch. It was a great catch made with super grippy gloves that the NFL was leaning towards banning in the weeks before the catch. Now one handed catches are common. Beckham was never better than the other nut Antonio Brown. He dropped a sure TD in Giants only playoff game. He had a few good years catching endless slants from Eli but he was never that great overall.

I seem to recall Beckham wanted to play for another QB that could "make all the throws" and he thought Baker Mayfield was going to be Brett Favre

Thanks to the NY Post, I hadn't realized that it was such a historical performance by Barkley ... lowest yardage by any back with 15 or more carries this century! Playing behind the Jints oline, maybe he should change his name to Squandered Barkley, lol!!!

Thanks to the NY Post, I hadn't realized that it was such a historical performance by Barkley ... lowest yardage by any back with 15 or more carries this century! Playing behind the Jints oline, maybe he should change his name to Squandered Barkley, lol!!!

Gettleman is lucky Darnold is lighting NYC on fire

For as long as I can remember, the Giants continue to pass on first down, gain decent yardage, and immediately run the ball on second down, which is 90% time telegraphed by the Defense as a loss. Please Please Stop.

How about we just get back to running the ball on first down and then go pass on 2nd and 3rd....Please

Has nothing to do with OBJ.
Just pointing out that the arguments of "high-paid WR dont win Super Bowls" applies even more to high-paid RBs.
This team appears to be on track for missing the playoffs again and Giants are about to have a high-paid (highest-paid?) RB after this season.

2018 draft? Never said anything about Darnold.
However, one of the best OL in the league was available - Quenton Nelson. That wouldn't have been too bad.
So much for "rebuilding from inside first".
Gettleman has bungled this from the beginning.

Last edited:

No problems with the way the NHL is handling it either. Very well done with their bubble also.

I take hope in RUinFla's optimism and analysis. Not following NFL quite as closely as I used to. But did see the Jints, and a bit of the Jets. O Line was awful, but maybe it's new and young players. As to the D, has Ash been teaching them rugby tackling or something? And on the running game, here's just a thought: how about one play in addition to the "put Barkeley back seven yards, have Jones run back and hand him the ball, and then it's up to Saquon because the O Line is on coffee break" play? I mean, just occasionally. And maybe a quick pass instead of deep drop and panic?

OK, one more thing. If it is third and four, why are all the D backs 12 yards off the line?

Oh well.

I cant believe players from both teams prayed on the 50 yard line after the game! Keep religion out of sports! That's it. I will no longer watch sports! Keep your beliefs to yourself.

Barkley done, maybe for the year. Jones decision making continues to be poor. Worst o line in the league. Who will we take with the #1 draft pick?

Well I guess the the theory that it wasn't so much the Giants Oline and more like the Steelers have the best Dline line in the NFL goes out the window. That is unless the Bears have the second best Dline in the NFL.

This team is pathetic.

Reactions: tico brown
Barkley done, maybe for the year. Jones decision making continues to be poor. Worst o line in the league. Who will we take with the #1 draft pick?

Point 3 tends to contradict Point 2. I think Lawrence would be toast behind this line, so I'm cutting Jones a break.

What to do the #1 pick? Find a team with 2 1st rd. Picks, make a trade and pick 1 OL & 1 DL.

ADVERTISEMENT