ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Giants 2020 Season Thread

My God, it's getting time for Commissioner Intervention once again. This is as bad as watching Ash ball.

With Barkley gone, hopefully the Giants give Robert Martin and Jon Hilliman another look.

With Barkley gone, hopefully the Giants give Robert Martin and Jon Hilliman another look.
I think Hillman was on the Giants last season. He just isnt any good in the pros. Its really bad if he gets a shot

Nice pick by Bradbury. Defense actually playing halfway decent.

Oh... Play under review. Theyll probably give it back to the Bears.

Reactions: koleszar
Nice pick by Bradbury. Defense actually playing halfway decent.

Oh... Play under review. Theyll probably give it back to the Bears.
Defense definitely grew a set of balls in the second half. Offense just needs great field possession(in field goal range) and penalties to keep drives moving.

Reactions: tico brown
Torn ACL for Barkley, O well. Between him and Engram that's two 1st rounders who get hurt a lot.

On another note: Why are we throwing a 5 yd. pass with 8 secs. left from the 14?

Reactions: Postman_1
Another long year for Giants fans. Sucks A proud NFL franchise has become a joke the last 5+ years. Francesa was right as usual. The Giants are now losers and a joke like the Browns. I liked Gettleman too. If they bring in a new GM does he like Judge and Jones? Does he decide to do a total rebuild. It may be another 4-5 years of rebuilding. Not good

Real talk about Barkley and his contract situation:

After this year Barkley is eligible for an extension.
If he is indeed out for the year - unlikely the Giants give him a massive extension.
Wonder if he will still push for one or wait and try to rebuild his value first (and risk getting injured again).

5th year option:
Giants have to make a decision on picking up his 5th year (2022) after this year - approx 13mil I think.
If they do pick it up, it is guaranteed for injury.

Gettleman (or his replacement) have some big decisions after this year.

Reactions: redking
I'll give it to them. They came back and almost won vs that defense. See what happens next week vs ANOTHER Top 5 Defense.

Gettleman is a joke. Roster is awful. Zero playmakers are either side of the ball minus Saquon and a young and inconsistent Slayton. OL which is supposed to be his speciality still sucks.

Giants played hard today and competed after the injury. I am not a Giants fan and still not sure whether they have enough support around the QB Jones.

Next year, Saquon has to be asked to overcome his coaching at PSU, where they highlighted everything he does well...making plays in space and running outside. At some point, he's going to have to be more of a between the tackles running back and become a willing blocker in picking up blitzes.

Giants headed for a Top 5 pick at worse, they're probably not going to take Trevor Lawrence if they're #1, but should.

Reactions: redking and czxqa
Always root for as many Rutgers players in the NFL and CFL as possible, even if they end up with bad teams like the Giants or Jets. Just great to see them.

Reactions: tico brown
You never take a RB there...never.

Poor kid. Sucks. Hoping for a speedy recovery

Never wanted the giants to draft him. shelf life of a rb is to short and we are not in a championship window, and I have a hard time rooting for anyone who decommits from Rutgers and especially if they go to penn state
If he was the final piece of the offense fine take him. But in today's game you can't build an offense around your RB. Like you said, their shelf life is short probably only 3 to 4 yrs.. By time you have the pieces around him, he's done. I thought Gettleman was smarter than that, but he's now running away with the prize for worst GM over Reese.

Say good bye to major contract extension.

As NFL does things, Saquon‘s “team” expected major contract extension like what RB McCaffrey recently
got. No way now.

Reactions: GSGS
198, I don’t think Barkley ever had any low class comments about Rutgers like former New Jersey Gladiator of the Arena League ,Glen Toilet Bowl Foley. What made him really bad is that he was from New Jersey publicly bashing his own State University and football team. Barkley jumped ship from Rutgers, but I can’t remember him saying anything like Foley did.

Reactions: shields
Giants played hard today and competed after the injury. I am not a Giants fan and still not sure whether they have enough support around the QB Jones.

Next year, Saquon has to be asked to overcome his coaching at PSU, where they highlighted everything he does well...making plays in space and running outside. At some point, he's going to have to be more of a between the tackles running back and become a willing blocker in picking up blitzes.

Giants headed for a Top 5 pick at worse, they're probably not going to take Trevor Lawrence if they're #1, but should.

Disagree. Pick Lawrence and in 3 years you'll be calling him a disappointment and drafting the next sure thing early in the 1st. Actually I think the Jets end up with #1, but if the Giants do I would trade as I said above. Get 2 1st rounders, and more unless at least one is a Top 7 pick, possibly a 3rd you could use on an OC.

Another long year for Giants fans. Sucks A proud NFL franchise has become a joke the last 5+ years. Francesa was right as usual. The Giants are now losers and a joke like the Browns. I liked Gettleman too. If they bring in a new GM does he like Judge and Jones? Does he decide to do a total rebuild. It may be another 4-5 years of rebuilding. Not good

Good questions. That’s why I think you stick with Jones and judge for a few years. Commit to the rebuild and see where we are in 2022

Disagree. Pick Lawrence and in 3 years you'll be calling him a disappointment and drafting the next sure thing early in the 1st. Actually I think the Jets end up with #1, but if the Giants do I would trade as I said above. Get 2 1st rounders, and more unless at least one is a Top 7 pick, possibly a 3rd you could use on an OC.

Is it because you don't think Lawrence is a "sure-thing"?
Why not?

I haven't watched enough of him in detail.

Say good bye to major contract extension.

As NFL does things, Saquon‘s “team” expected major contract extension like what RB McCaffrey recently
got. No way now.

Spot on, Mr. TV. today's injury will likely cause Barkley to lose a big pay day. Too bad! I guess they won't know for sure for a couple of days, but it looks like his ACL may have de-committed from his knee.

If he's done for the season, his final stat line for 2020 will be 19 carries for 34 yards and multiple whiffs in pass protection. Not quite Barry Sanders' territory.

Is it because you don't think Lawrence is a "sure-thing"?
Why not?

I haven't watched enough of him in detail.

Nobody is a sure thing behind a lousy OL. I think if you put Lawrence being even a average OL, he will do well, so it's not on him. But that also means its not on Jones.

Reactions: Postman_1
Before the 2018 draft, Carl Banks had some concerns about Barkley's over-muscled weight lifting build. Muscles can start to be too big and too strong for connective tissues etc.

Before the 2018 draft, Carl Banks had some concerns about Barkley's over-muscled weight lifting build. Muscles can start to be too big and too strong for connective tissues etc.

That's an interesting point. A couple of years ago I asked a colleague, a very knowledgeable guy who's son was a high level minor league pitcher if he had a theory about all the Tommy John surgeries that pitchers were undergoing. I asked him what happened in the olden days, there didn't seem to be many forced retirements due to pitchers sustaining that type of injury before the surgery was available. He told me his theory was that all the weight lifting and muscle development that pitchers did in their upper bodies and shoulders put more stress on their throwing arms including their ligaments. It is interesting to think back to the Nolan Ryans and Tom Seavers and how they were able to throw complete games, going out there every 4 or 5 days, and stay healthy. Of course, both of the above had very powerful legs that they used well to power their fastballs.

Real talk about Barkley and his contract situation:

After this year Barkley is eligible for an extension.
If he is indeed out for the year - unlikely the Giants give him a massive extension.
Wonder if he will still push for one or wait and try to rebuild his value first (and risk getting injured again).

5th year option:
Giants have to make a decision on picking up his 5th year (2022) after this year - approx 13mil I think.
If they do pick it up, it is guaranteed for injury.

Gettleman (or his replacement) have some big decisions after this year.
It’s not a big decision at all, they will pick up Barkley’s option.

now if he gets hurt again and is not the same they may elect to let him walk before extending him further but the 5th year option is a no brainer.

Next year, Saquon has to be asked to overcome his coaching at PSU, where they highlighted everything he does well...making plays in space and running outside. At some point, he's going to have to be more of a between the tackles running back and become a willing blocker in picking up blitzes

or next year perhaps the coaching staff will take notice of what Saquon did well at psu and start using him in those situations while subbing in a power back.

Zeke is still an elite back but the cowboys are using tony pollard a ton. It’s a good idea for the giants to follow suit moving forward

Reactions: czxqa

If the Giants get the #1 pick that means they went at best 3-13?
Gettleman is gone.
New GM/Judge have to seriously consider Trevor.

Jones would have no connection to either the GM or HC.
He would also most likely have continued his historic turnover stats.

Rebuilds don’t take 4-5 years.
Elite QBs are MVP candidates after 2-3 years.
Mahomes, Lamar, Watson, Dak, Josh Allen (ya he is).
Wentz was MVP leader until his injury in his 2nd year.
Goff went to the SB his 3rd year.

Kyler Murray might be the favorite for MVP this year in his 2nd year (same draft as Jones).

Last edited:
or next year perhaps the coaching staff will take notice of what Saquon did well at psu and start using him in those situations while subbing in a power back.

Zeke is still an elite back but the cowboys are using tony pollard a ton. It’s a good idea for the giants to follow suit moving forward

Not sure how accurate that is or what “a ton” means.
If you have a high paid RB, the staff is forced to play them instead of utilizing more of a RB-by-committee.

Offensive Snaps %:
Elliot - 83.3%
Pollard - 18.1%

2020 (Week 1)
Elliot - 87.5%
Pollard - 13.9%

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/s...iSZ_50Oro9Q&form_id=fo_stats_snap_counts_form

ADVERTISEMENT