ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Jets 2020 Season Thread

Only 7% of high school players get on a college team at any level. Gase never did it and Bill did. The results speak for themselves

And there are intramural players (if they still have intramural teams these days) at RU, Big 10, SEC, Big 12, hell even the Ivy League who could have played college ball if they went to Wesleyan. So that's a misleading statistic.

And there are intramural players (if they still have intramural teams these days) at RU, Big 10, SEC, Big 12, hell even the Ivy League who could have played college ball if they went to Wesleyan. So that's a misleading statistic.

You're struggling. Belichick played cfb and Gase didn't (never even started a HS game). All this intramural, Ivy League stuff etc is irrelevant. Gase didn't play those either

You need to start paying attention.

Their GM Douglas had a very solid reputation in the scouting community and looks to have started with a real good 2020 draft. Trading Adams (instead of paying a safety huge money) to get a ton of draft assets was exactly the move to make. He didn’t pick Gase, and is likely to make a better choice now that it is his coaching hire.

Yeah keep on waving that loser Jets flag. 10 years since last Playoff Appearance; 51 years since last Super Bowl.

We heard the same exact BS when Maccagnan was hired. Super Scout with excellent reputation coming to the Jets. His drafting was absolutely horrid for being a SuperScout leaving a shitshow for Douglas. Then couple that with Douglas's conservative moves this past year leaving the NYJ with possibly the worst roster in NFL history. The only defense of Douglas at this point is he was strapped with Maccagnan's drafted players and signed FAs, thus, not enough time to actually judge him one way or the other. As to how ownership didn't fire Maccagnan prior to spending globs of money in 2018-2019 on bad FAs is a complete mystery.

Regardless it's Lather, Rinse, Repeat for the Jets and the jury is still out on Douglas. Don't count your chickens on Douglas before they hatch especially when it comes to the Jets. Bad Ownership conquers all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg2020
Yeah keep on waving that loser Jets flag. 10 years since last Playoff Appearance; 51 years since last Super Bowl.

We heard the same exact BS when Maccagnan was hired. Super Scout with excellent reputation coming to the Jets. His drafting was absolutely horrid for being a SuperScout leaving a shitshow for Douglas. Then couple that with Douglas's conservative moves this past year leaving the NYJ with possibly the worst roster in NFL history. The only defense of Douglas at this point is he was strapped with Maccagnan's drafted players and signed FAs, thus, not enough time to actually judge him one way or the other. As to how ownership didn't fire Maccagnan prior to spending globs of money in 2018-2019 on bad FAs is a complete mystery.

Regardless it's Lather, Rinse, Repeat for the Jets and the jury is still out on Douglas. Don't count your chickens on Douglas before they hatch especially when it comes to the Jets. Bad Ownership conquers all.
The “only defense of Douglas”?

He had a good 2020 draft, he resisted spending money on overpriced free agents and got what is universally viewed as an excellent return in the Adams trade.

The Jets are no worse off than the Bills and Browns were a few years ago, so despite your blathering, with the extra draft picks they have this year and next they are a good coaching hire from turning things around.

The “only defense of Douglas”?

He had a good 2020 draft, he resisted spending money on overpriced free agents and got what is universally viewed as an excellent return in the Adams trade.

The Jets are no worse off than the Bills and Browns were a few years ago, so despite your blathering, with the extra draft picks they have this year and next they are a good coaching hire from turning things around.

Once again making unknown projections about future events without any supporting information. An excellent return for an impactful player in Adams? We have no idea who those draft picks are so how do you know that'll work out. You don't.

Good 2020 draft? Other than Becton, it's very debatable. Jury is still out on Mims, A. Davis (watched enough of Cal football to realize he shouldn't have been a 3rd round pick) and the Florida RB who avged 3.6 yds./carry the same as old man Frank Gore. We have no idea if the 2020 Draft worked out for the NYJ.

They just finished 2-14 and have so many holes in their roster, they make Swiss Cheese look proud. They're light years from where the Bills/Browns are. But keep on waving that loser flag.

Once again making unknown projections about future events without any supporting information. An excellent return for an impactful player in Adams? We have no idea who those draft picks are so how do you know that'll work out. You don't.

Good 2020 draft? Other than Becton, it's very debatable. Jury is still out on Mims, A. Davis (watched enough of Cal football to realize he shouldn't have been a 3rd round pick) and the Florida RB who avged 3.6 yds./carry the same as old man Frank Gore. We have no idea if the 2020 Draft worked out for the NYJ.

They just finished 2-14 and have so many holes in their roster, they make Swiss Cheese look proud. They're light years from where the Bills/Browns are. But keep on waving that loser flag.
The trade return is the draft picks he got. Douglas got a Khalil Mack return for a safety.

The trade return is the draft picks he got. Douglas got a Khalil Mack return for a safety.
Yes the Jets got great value on paper for a player that wasn't in a happy place, albeit a very productive player. The Jets have a long history of 1st round busts or trading their first round player that later on becomes productive. Leonard Williams says hello. If the Jets draft a Darron Lee and Calvin Pryor with these 2 first round picks, you're not going to be happy and will judge this trade as a failure in time when evidence is available. It's the actual results that matter.

Yes the Jets got great value on paper for a player that wasn't in a happy place, albeit a very productive player. The Jets have a long history of 1st round busts or trading their first round player that later on becomes productive. Leonard Williams says hello. If the Jets draft a Darron Lee and Calvin Pryor with these 2 first round picks, you're not going to be happy and will judge this trade as a failure in time when evidence is available. It's the actual results that matter.
If the Jets decide to fire Joe Douglas and rehire Idzik or Maccagnan, then your argument will become valid. Otherwise, citing draft misses from years ago under long gone GMs has no relevance.

If the Jets decide to fire Joe Douglas and rehire Idzik or Maccagnan, then your argument will become valid. Otherwise, citing draft misses from years ago under long gone GMs has no relevance.
That's not what you were saying when they hired Idzik and Macagnan and those were your GMs.

That's not what you were saying when they hired Idzik and Macagnan and those were your GMs.
I wasn’t saying anything about them then, and I wasn’t saying Douglas was definitely going to work last year when he was hired either.

I prefer to use actual evidence to make my judgements, and one year’s worth of evidence on Douglas points in a positive direction.

I wasn’t saying anything about them then, and I wasn’t saying Douglas was definitely going to work last year when he was hired either.

I prefer to use actual evidence to make my judgements, and one year’s worth of evidence on Douglas points in a positive direction.

However, you have no evidence on these 2 draft picks for Adams. They weren't selected yet, and even after selection, you would need them to prove it out on the NFL field. You have no idea if this trade is going to work out or not.

Jury is still very much out on Joe Douglas as a drafter. Last year:

#1 - Mekki Becton: Looks like he nailed that one.
#2 - Denzel Mims: Promising but injured. Could have had Chase Claypool, but traded down in the round, and by the time their pick came up Claypool was gone. We may rue that decision.
#3a - Ashtyn Davis: Could develop into a solid starter, or not.
#3b - Jabari Zuniga: Who knows?
#4a - La'Mical Perine: Showed some potential when healthy, but did not outshine waiver pickup Tyler Johnson.
#4b - James Morgan: Was selection of a developmental QB in Round 4 really necessary?
#4c - Cameron Clark: Like Morgan, was basically redshirted, so who knows.
#5 - Bryce Hall: May have struck gold with this late round pick.
#6 - Braden Mann: A good punter, but a punter. Would have preferred picking up the developmental QB here (if you really want one) and use the fourth rounder for a more pressing need.

Reactions: Greg2020 and RURM85
Jury is still very much out on Joe Douglas as a drafter. Last year:

#1 - Mekki Becton: Looks like he nailed that one.
#2 - Denzel Mims: Promising but injured. Could have had Chase Claypool, but traded down in the round, and by the time their pick came up Claypool was gone. We may rue that decision.
#3a - Ashtyn Davis: Could develop into a solid starter, or not.
#3b - Jabari Zuniga: Who knows?
#4a - La'Mical Perine: Showed some potential when healthy, but did not outshine waiver pickup Tyler Johnson.
#4b - James Morgan: Was selection of a developmental QB in Round 4 really necessary?
#4c - Cameron Clark: Like Morgan, was basically redshirted, so who knows.
#5 - Bryce Hall: May have struck gold with this late round pick.
#6 - Braden Mann: A good punter, but a punter. Would have preferred picking up the developmental QB here (if you really want one) and use the fourth rounder for a more pressing need.
The lack of OTAs and a preseason had a big impact on the rookie years of a lot of team’s later round picks. The Jets were especially affected by a coach who did things like giving a 60 year old running back most of the carries.

The lack of OTAs and a preseason had a big impact on the rookie years of a lot of team’s later round picks. The Jets were especially affected by a coach who did things like giving a 60 year old running back most of the carries.
That is very fair. I am concerned, though, when a 4th round non-QB (Clark) can't find his way onto the active game roster. I am also concerned about the Morgan selection. When analysts discuss the Jets QB situation, I keep waiting for someone to say something like "Don't sleep on Morgan, I'm hearing really good things about him". I am still waiting, and expect to continue for awhile.

That is very fair. I am concerned, though, when a 4th round non-QB (Clark) can't find his way onto the active game roster. I am also concerned about the Morgan selection. When analysts discuss the Jets QB situation, I keep waiting for someone to say something like "Don't sleep on Morgan, I'm hearing really good things about him". I am still waiting, and expect to continue for awhile.
Clark is being converted from a college OT to OG in the pros. I don’t think think anyone expected much from him in his first year regardless of the offseason.

The Morgan pick is the one I won’t even try to defend.

Per The Athletic (paywall), so far the Jets have requested interviews with the following six coaches, more to come no doubt:
  • Eric Bienemy - Chiefs OC
  • Brian Daboll - Bills OC
  • Arthur Smith - Titans OC
  • Matt Eberflus - Colts DC
  • Brandon Staley - Rams DC
  • Patrick Graham - Giants DC

Per The Athletic (paywall), so far the Jets have requested interviews with the following six coaches, more to come no doubt:
  • Eric Bienemy - Chiefs OC
  • Brian Daboll - Bills OC
  • Arthur Smith - Titans OC
  • Matt Eberflus - Colts DC
  • Brandon Staley - Rams DC
  • Patrick Graham - Giants DC
So far Coordinator heavy. Very interested to see if any College Coaches interview for the position. Be bold. Try something different.

So far Coordinator heavy. Very interested to see if any College Coaches interview for the position. Be bold. Try something different.
The news is coordinator heavy because they have to officially ask the team for permission and that gets released. There could be contact with the agents for college coaches, which would be kept secret, going on at the same time,

Reactions: RURM85
The news is coordinator heavy because they have to officially ask the team for permission and that gets released. There could be contact with the agents for college coaches, which would be kept secret, going on at the same time,

Yes understood that. I'm commenting on the News, not what's actually going on that the public is not privy to at this time.

I've seen several mock drafts, and a few of them have the Jets taking QB Zac Wilson of BYU. Am I in the minority with taking a QB since the Jets have MORE pressing needs like linemen to PROTECT the QB? Games are won in the trenches, and the Jets get their *sses handed to them on every play. Either the Jets send out signals that the QB is the priority or the media is full of idiots.

Linemen like George Fant, Josh Andrews, and Connor McGovern should never be starters on any NFL team. They may be solid backups, but that's about it. Conor McDermott somehow gets starter's snaps, but he's practice squad talent at best. Free agency hasn't been the Jets' answer as they overpay for guys who do give value back in return. You have one anchor in Becton, but he needs help. The last time the Jets invested in several linemen, either in the same draft or the following draft, was when they took D'Brickshawn and Mangold in the mid-2000s. Those teams could run and pass protect well.

In college, a QB like Lawerence can hide issues along the OL, but at the pro level, but it gets exposed on every snap.

ADVERTISEMENT