ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Yankees 2018-19 Hot Stove

WhiteBus

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2011
First off season move is resigning CC for 1 year, $8 million. No problem with it if he is their #5 guy. Right now he is #3. Go get some starting pitching Cashman.

Do you think they'll go after Machado or Harper?

I wonder if Andujar or Torres will win ROY: my feeling is the fix is in for Ohtani.

Reactions: RUJMM78

I wonder if Andujar or Torres will win ROY: my feeling is the fix is in for Ohtani.

Being a Met fan I have no dog in the race. So I will throw my 2 cents in. I would think they would go after Harper to have lefty power plus he is willing to play first base. Machado would be another righty bat plus from what you read he is not well liked. With that said they may go after him to fill the Dee Dee void. So I would not be surprised if they go after both

Reactions: WhiteBus

I think Harper is a lock. Not a fan of him but a lefty power hitter and stated today he is willing to play first.
I really dont want Machado at any price. Let the Phillies sign him. Yankees already have a lazy guy that doesn't hustle in Sanchez. Too many right handed bats as well.
Watched MLB tonight and I too thought the Ohtani fix was in but several panelists says his resume doesnt stack up to Andujar. Problem is there maybe a split between him and Torres leaving the door open. Torres shouldn't get any first place votes as all his numbers came in his first 2 months.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Being a Met fan I have no dog in the race. So I will throw my 2 cents in. I would think they would go after Harper to have lefty power plus he is willing to play first base. Machado would be another righty bat plus from what you read he is not well liked. With that said they may go after him to fill the Dee Dee void. So I would not be surprised if they go after both
Yeah right - when Greg Bird flops why not spend $300MM on a converted right fielder to play first. Nice to have money right.

Move Torres to short and plenty of guys can play 2nd well enough unti Didi gets back. There is no need for Machado

Last edited:
We are going sign Corbin and Harper IMO. Torres moves to short and bring up wade until Didi comes back.

PITCHING PITCHING PITCHING then add any ornaments you choose. George always got pitching first and that is why we won!

disclaimer - i am a mets fan

that being said, the pre-suspended george would have gone after Harper and/or Machado

the 90's and later Yanks kept bringing stud starters ( clemens, cone , west,..) to supplement the core 4

they currently have a new core X (not familiar enough to know the number) .... go with the latter mode and get a couple of top end starters to go with the strong bullpen and the core X

Yeah right - when Greg Bird flops why not spend $300MM on a converted right fielder to play first. Nice to have money right.
Greg Bird has already flopped. It's just a matter of if he can be salvaged. He's basically Ike Davis.

Not ready to give up on Greg Bird yet.

I believe that his ceiling is much higher than what Ike Davis accomplished.
We have neen hearing that for years. Between injuries and the fact that he can't hit he needs to fix his problems in the minors not on the 25 man rosters.
The Yanks always said he would be an All Star first baseman but his defense sucks as much as his hitting.

We are going sign Corbin and Harper IMO. Torres moves to short and bring up wade until Didi comes back.
This is not unreasonable reaction to last season's end result. First base for Harper? That's a lot of dough though. If this happens, we're probably talking in the neighborhood of $500MM committed to Harper and Stanton.

First off season move is resigning CC for 1 year, $8 million. No problem with it if he is their #5 guy. Right now he is #3. Go get some starting pitching Cashman.

Actually, I think the first move was resigning Gardner to a one year deal. Agree, CC if he is your fifth starter , is a good signing. Next you have to sign either Robertson or Britton if not both. Nice to get any two of Corbin, Happ and Keuchel. See what Sonny Grey can bring back. He seems to be one of those guys with some talent that just can't do well in NY. Pass on Machado at all costs. Personally, I'd leave Torres at second and let some combination of Hechavarria, Wade and Torreys handle short until Didi returns.Harper strikes me as a me first type player although he plays the game with intensity. If his willingness to play first is not a negotiating ploy to get the Yankees involved in the bidding, then Cashman has to kick the tires on it. They needed another left hand hitter even with Didi.

Reactions: irishflu92
Actually, I think the first move was resigning Gardner to a one year deal. Agree, CC if he is your fifth starter , is a good signing. Next you have to sign either Robertson or Britton if not both. Nice to get any two of Corbin, Happ and Keuchel. See what Sonny Grey can bring back. He seems to be one of those guys with some talent that just can't do well in NY. Pass on Machado at all costs. Personally, I'd leave Torres at second and let some combination of Hechavarria, Wade and Torreys handle short until Didi returns.Harper strikes me as a me first type player although he plays the game with intensity. If his willingness to play first is not a negotiating ploy to get the Yankees involved in the bidding, then Cashman has to kick the tires on it. They needed another left hand hitter even with Didi.
Good post. I forgot about Hecheveria. He can more than handle short until didi returns.

The bottom line is there really aren't any stud pitchers so those saying we have to go after pitching are correct but you can't get what is not out there. Corbin wants to be a yankee and will be. Robertson will be back. The reason I think we get Harper and put him at first is he is a safe bet and we have to try something to overtake the Red Sox. Corbin and some relievers isn't enough. I also believe hey would trade Stanton if possible, but I know that would be tough.

Agree on a lot of the last two posts.
Gray is definitely gone according to Cashman but they wont give him away as he sought after.
I was 100% against Harper because of his selfish perception. The fact that he is willing to play first just so he can be on the Yankees has changed my hard stance against. As a player he is a great fit. As a person maybe his desire to be a Yankee and maturity will open his eyes to being a part of a team. The clubhouse in DC was a disaster.
As far as starting pitching trades will be made by enough teams especially Cleveland.

Not pulling the trigger on Verlander cost the Yankees one, maybe two WS.

They need a top line guy. Back up the truck and give Cleveland what they want for Kluber.

Kluber, Servino, Happ, Tanaka, Sabathia. You could win with that rotation.

Bring the bullpen back.

Bite the bullet and move Sanchez. You can't win with a guy who can't catch. A guy who closes his eyes as every pitch comes in. A guy who refuses to hit the ball the opposite way even though his swing is built to do that. The guy is a loser. We need a really good defensive catcher.

Forget Harper and the rest of teh big ticket offensive guys. We have plenty of pop in that line up. If anything, we need a real good, October contact hitter somewhere in that line up.

Not pulling the trigger on Verlander cost the Yankees one, maybe two WS.

They need a top line guy. Back up the truck and give Cleveland what they want for Kluber.

Kluber, Servino, Happ, Tanaka, Sabathia. You could win with that rotation.

Bring the bullpen back.

Bite the bullet and move Sanchez. You can't win with a guy who can't catch. A guy who closes his eyes as every pitch comes in. A guy who refuses to hit the ball the opposite way even though his swing is built to do that. The guy is a loser. We need a really good defensive catcher.

Forget Harper and the rest of teh big ticket offensive guys. We have plenty of pop in that line up. If anything, we need a real good, October contact hitter somewhere in that line up.
Its hindsight to bring up Verlander. He was injury prone and wasn't an ace when he was traded and was owed a lot of money with the Yankees heading into a hard cap season. It didn't make sense than at all.
The Astros figured something out with him. He was 10-8 with a 3.82 era for the Tigers than after the trade 5-0 1.08 era instantly. Who is to say the Yankee staff would have found the same flaw and corrected it?

I would have no problem with trading Sanchez. Go get an ace for him. He plays behind the plate but is not a catcher and he has no interest being better. Some team would love to have him as a full time DH.

Gardner signing was unnecessary. CC?,I'm on the fence. If Montgomery comes back don't need him .Sheffield.???Happ? Free agent pitchers? Frasier? Florial?

Gardner signing was unnecessary. CC?,I'm on the fence. If Montgomery comes back don't need him .Sheffield.???Happ? Free agent pitchers? Frasier? Florial?
Would like Happ back. Does he want to come back?
Don't count on Montgomery at all for 2019.
The Yanks know that Monty might not return until late 2019 at the earliest. Given the typical length of the recovery process for this type of operation, however, he is more likely to return for the start of the 2020 season.

Harper turns down $300 million/ 10year deal with Washington. There no outs on either side.

I don't know about Kluber. His stuff appeared to be down at the end of the year. Why would Cleveland trade him? They are in win now mode. The bold move I would have done was give the Mets Torres for DeGrom of that was possible. IMO there are a handful of aces and most won't be traded;

Sale
Verlander
Kluber
Ohtani
Snell (could he be had?)
Syndegard
DeGrom

Those are the "top line" guys. Who we getting?

By the way we are close. Severino just needs to keep developing. Stop tipping his pitches. Bring on Corbin. Tanaka goes to 3. Bring back Happ for the 4 spot and CC the 5. That is a good 1-5.

Its hindsight to bring up Verlander. He was injury prone and wasn't an ace when he was traded and was owed a lot of money with the Yankees heading into a hard cap season. It didn't make sense than at all.
The Astros figured something out with him. He was 10-8 with a 3.82 era for the Tigers than after the trade 5-0 1.08 era instantly. Who is to say the Yankee staff would have found the same flaw and corrected it?

I would have no problem with trading Sanchez. Go get an ace for him. He plays behind the plate but is not a catcher and he has no interest being better. Some team would love to have him as a full time DH.

I don't know about hindsight, it's a zero sum game. Houston, for reasons known to them, pulled the trigger, the Yankees did not. Houston was right and won a WS. If you're a Houston fan, you point to it and say, "brilliant move." As A Yankees fan, you say, "wish we would have done that."

Point is, like franchise NFL QB's, there are only so many of those guys and you're right, they are fragile. If you don't grow them, you often have to gamble on health issues with big bucks on the line. Yankees did it successfully with Clemons, Cone, Wells etc...the old man would have made that trade, Hank's not the old man. Which is a good thing in many ways, jus not that time.

Sign Happ. Maybe a trade for a top line starter like Bumgartner. Those two, plus Severino and Tanaka makes for a good starting staff. After that, it may be a matter of who they have to give up in the trade. Cano was great but didn't hustle, so I don't think they'd want to go there again with both Machado and Sanchez out there every day. Whether they'd go after Harper may depend on whether they're willing to break the bank whtn they've been frugal as of late and/or let Bird go as a part of any trade.

I don't know about Kluber. His stuff appeared to be down at the end of the year. Why would Cleveland trade him? They are in win now mode. The bold move I would have done was give the Mets Torres for DeGrom of that was possible. IMO there are a handful of aces and most won't be traded;

Sale
Verlander
Kluber
Ohtani
Snell (could he be had?)
Syndegard
DeGrom

Those are the "top line" guys. Who we getting?
Ohtani????

I think Harper is a lock. Not a fan of him but a lefty power hitter and stated today he is willing to play first.
I really dont want Machado at any price. Let the Phillies sign him. Yankees already have a lazy guy that doesn't hustle in Sanchez. Too many right handed bats as well.
Watched MLB tonight and I too thought the Ohtani fix was in but several panelists says his resume doesnt stack up to Andujar. Problem is there maybe a split between him and Torres leaving the door open. Torres shouldn't get any first place votes as all his numbers came in his first 2 months.
Good post. I think Machado is a better short-term fit, but the stars really do seem to be aligned for Harper to come here, especially with his willingness to play 1st.

Good post. I think Machado is a better short-term fit, but the stars really do seem to be aligned for Harper to come here, especially with his willingness to play 1st.

As a long time Yankee fan I’d hate to see Machado in pinstripes. Trouble on and off the field and in the clubhouse.

Funny that some want to jettison Gary Sanchez for lack of hustle but want the Yanks to sign Machado.

As a long time Yankee fan I’d hate to see Machado in pinstripes. Trouble on and off the field and in the clubhouse.

Funny that some want to jettison Gary Sanchez for lack of hustle but want the Yanks to sign Machado.
Where are you seeing that? I don't know a single Yankee fan that wants Machado

Reactions: RUDave_01
ADVERTISEMENT