ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Yankees 2018-19 Hot Stove

Its hindsight to bring up Verlander. He was injury prone and wasn't an ace when he was traded and was owed a lot of money with the Yankees heading into a hard cap season. It didn't make sense than at all.
The Astros figured something out with him. He was 10-8 with a 3.82 era for the Tigers than after the trade 5-0 1.08 era instantly. Who is to say the Yankee staff would have found the same flaw and corrected it?

I would have no problem with trading Sanchez. Go get an ace for him. He plays behind the plate but is not a catcher and he has no interest being better. Some team would love to have him as a full time DH.
You think Sanchez can bring back an ace? Bad shoulder, can't catch and didn't hit this year. He's worth more to the Yankees than he can bring back in a trade. His value is not exactly high right now.

You think Sanchez can bring back an ace? Bad shoulder, can't catch and didn't hit this year. He's worth more to the Yankees than he can bring back in a trade. His value is not exactly high right now.
His value on the Yankees isnt high either. Yes he can bring back an ace. Cleveland would take him in a second as he doesnt make much.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
His value on the Yankees isnt high either. Yes he can bring back an ace. Cleveland would take him in a second as he doesnt make much.

Sanchez is a true power hitter and can carry a team with his bat, in spite of a tough year w injuries last season.

I’d like to see the Yanks find a spot for him at DH or 1B. Also do not want to face him at bat if he goes to an AL playoff team like Cleveland.

Take him is one thing, what you get back is another. What ace do you think you're getting for Sanchez?

Take him is one thing, what you get back is another. What ace do you think you're getting for Sanchez?
Agreed, his value has dropped through the floor and you probably don't get much back for him if you move him coming off that season.

To me, the Yankees looked like a defensive liability out there in the playoffs. Sanchez, despite the arm, is an absolute liability behind the plate. Volt can't scoop a ball at 1b's. Andujar, God Bless him, has issues throwing the ball. It's just too much to hide, too much to expect you can get away with it, in October, against the very best teams. They have to get better defensively.

Sanchez really fell off a cliff offensively when they took Sonny Gray away and started to nudge him towards DH. The kid has so much talent but is an enigma. How can he not know that he has to keep the left shoulder down on outside pitches and take the ball to the opposite field? So painful to watch him, AB after AB, trying to pull breaking balls from RH pitchers, miss by three feet and end up with his head looking at the opposition dugout. Doesnt get better behind the plate. Seems uncoachable...

Reactions: coldsprings
I like Corbin, but can he pitch in the AL and can he function in NYC??

I see Corbin as a 3rd starter on a good team...i see Dallas Keuchel as a #2 that can be a #1 again.

I don't see a path for the Yankees competing in a short series without a legitimate #1 & that's going to come via trade of Andujar and Sanchez. You can replace Andujar offensively with a signing but there's no #1 starter as a free agent.

Severino isn't a #1, he's a maybe #2. It's going to cost the Yanks Andujar plus to get a real arm.

If you flip flop Stanton for Harper, you have a better outfielder and future 1st baseman when he gets older. Right now giving him 300M plus to play out of position at 1st base seems like trouble. But the Yankees would score 1000 runs

Agreed, his value has dropped through the floor and you probably don't get much back for him if you move him coming off that season.

To me, the Yankees looked like a defensive liability out there in the playoffs. Sanchez, despite the arm, is an absolute liability behind the plate. Volt can't scoop a ball at 1b's. Andujar, God Bless him, has issues throwing the ball. It's just too much to hide, too much to expect you can get away with it, in October, against the very best teams. They have to get better defensively.

Sanchez really fell off a cliff offensively when they took Sonny Gray away and started to nudge him towards DH. The kid has so much talent but is an enigma. How can he not know that he has to keep the left shoulder down on outside pitches and take the ball to the opposite field? So painful to watch him, AB after AB, trying to pull breaking balls from RH pitchers, miss by three feet and end up with his head looking at the opposition dugout. Doesnt get better behind the plate. Seems uncoachable...

I am with you, I don't get it but...it is 2018/2019 and this is the reality. 90% of batters do exactly this. Almost no one goes the opposite way anymore.

I see Corbin as a 3rd starter on a good team...i see Dallas Keuchel as a #2 that can be a #1 again.

I don't see a path for the Yankees competing in a short series without a legitimate #1 & that's going to come via trade of Andujar and Sanchez. You can replace Andujar offensively with a signing but there's no #1 starter as a free agent.

Severino isn't a #1, he's a maybe #2. It's going to cost the Yanks Andujar plus to get a real arm.

If you flip flop Stanton for Harper, you have a better outfielder and future 1st baseman when he gets older. Right now giving him 300M plus to play out of position at 1st base seems like trouble. But the Yankees would score 1000 runs
Severino looks like a #1 for increasingly longer stretches as his career develops. Unfortunately, those stretches never coincide with October, not yet anyway.

Agree, Corbin could be a classic AJ Burnett style bust. But you look at the 246 K's in 200 ip and it tells you he has dominant stuff and potential to be #1 if he gets better.

Corbin is from New York and grew up a Yankees fan so he should be able to function in pinstripes

Please stick to hoops. This post is so bad it’s crazy. Severino is maybe a 2? You realize he is still crazy young and has phenomenal stuff. He was tipping pitches. Keuchel is way past his prime. He is a 3 who could fall to a four next year. Corbin is a two/three. Yankees are fine. Just need a couple key signings and they need to stay healthy. In the playoffs it comes down to who gets hot. If they make the correct signing which they most likely will do they can be as good as anyone.

Please stick to hoops. This post is so bad it’s crazy. Severino is maybe a 2? You realize he is still crazy young and has phenomenal stuff. He was tipping pitches. Keuchel is way past his prime. He is a 3 who could fall to a four next year. Corbin is a two/three. Yankees are fine. Just need a couple key signings and they need to stay healthy. In the playoffs it comes down to who gets hot. If they make the correct signing which they most likely will do they can be as good as anyone.

Keuchel was a #1 in 2017. He's 30 not 35. He's absolutely capable of being a 1 again. I don't think he's a worse bet than Corbin, look at his last 3 seasons. 2018 was great, 17 poor, 16 dreadfull.

I had Keuchel on my fantasy team the last two years and have watched a ton of his starts. His stuff has declined significantly. His fastball is down the last three years. Unless he is hurt his stuff is not the same. I don’t want anything to do with him. I will take my chances with Corbin’s swing and miss stuff.

I agree that Corbin is not a #1 but he could be a good 2 or 3. Keuchel- he kind of scares me as it really seems there has been a significant drop off when you eyeball his starts. He is a good #3 maybe fit into a 2 spot. Severino...he is a good #2 and could become a #1...This is all a problem for the Yankees no matter how you look at it. Boston has two #1 guys and solid starters after them.
Agree that it will take at minimum Sanchez/Andujar to get a legit #1 but even that will not be enough. Andujar is a DH at best and so is Sanchez but he has proven to be lazy as hell.
Harper vs Stanton - I don't know...Can Harper stay healthy? Are the Yankees going to be happy with 300 mil for a 240-260 BA 30-40 HR and under 500 AB?

Agree on a lot of the last two posts.
Gray is definitely gone according to Cashman but they wont give him away as he sought after.
I was 100% against Harper because of his selfish perception. The fact that he is willing to play first just so he can be on the Yankees has changed my hard stance against. As a player he is a great fit. As a person maybe his desire to be a Yankee and maturity will open his eyes to being a part of a team. The clubhouse in DC was a disaster.
As far as starting pitching trades will be made by enough teams especially Cleveland.

When did Cashman say this about Gray? I hadn't heard that.

When did Cashman say this about Gray? I hadn't heard that.
On Fatso's show. About a week after they were eliminated. Very direct that he will be traded. I would imagine that interview can be found on WFAN website.

Watching MLB vs Japan series.The Japanese crowd sings and plays drums like a euro soccer match but remain well behaved. Maybe too much so but that is their culture. Polite. Baseball is withering a bit here but that will never happen there. The games are an event. A party. They are getting better and better every year.

They can do all they want but the Sox are in it to win it for a while. Young team. Plenty of spendable cash.Attractive destination. Red Sox team of the millennium.
Relax. Everyone said that about Houston last year too. Sale is on the decline. They will not win next year. Take it to the bank.

I agree that Corbin is not a #1 but he could be a good 2 or 3. Keuchel- he kind of scares me as it really seems there has been a significant drop off when you eyeball his starts. He is a good #3 maybe fit into a 2 spot. Severino...he is a good #2 and could become a #1...This is all a problem for the Yankees no matter how you look at it. Boston has two #1 guys and solid starters after them.
Agree that it will take at minimum Sanchez/Andujar to get a legit #1 but even that will not be enough. Andujar is a DH at best and so is Sanchez but he has proven to be lazy as hell.
Harper vs Stanton - I don't know...Can Harper stay healthy? Are the Yankees going to be happy with 300 mil for a 240-260 BA 30-40 HR and under 500 AB?
I wouldn’t say they have two number 1s. Sale is on the same trajectory as Kershaw. His velocity will continue to decline. He might hold next year but there is as good a chance he also hits a wall. Price is a number two at best.

I wouldn’t say they have two number 1s. Sale is on the same trajectory as Kershaw. His velocity will continue to decline. He might hold next year but there is as good a chance he also hits a wall. Price is a number two at best.
Sale did get injured this year but still pitched 27 games and had his highest Ks per 9 in his career. He is a clear Ace pitcher. Price- tough call- he is getting older and he never just has that killer ERA but the guy just wins. Even if he never wants to pitch against the Yankees. If the Yankees were to sign someone like Kuechel or Corbin(and closer I look at both, they are 3's at best) do you really think the Yankees have closed the gap much at all? And are still well behind the Boston starters by quite a bit.

Sale did get injured this year but still pitched 27 games and had his highest Ks per 9 in his career. He is a clear Ace pitcher. Price- tough call- he is getting older and he never just has that killer ERA but the guy just wins. Even if he never wants to pitch against the Yankees. If the Yankees were to sign someone like Kuechel or Corbin(and closer I look at both, they are 3's at best) do you really think the Yankees have closed the gap much at all? And are still well behind the Boston starters by quite a bit.
See I actually don't think they are behind the starters at all. Especially if they sign Corbin. The difference between the Red Sox and Yankees last year was they had more ways to beat us offensively. They beat us 1-9 in the order. We struck out too much and didn't get the big hit. I don't think it was dominant pitching because that was our MO all year. The Yankees have or will have after free agency the players to beat the Red Sox. Do I think the Red Sox are still better? Yes. But it is close and if we make the right moves it will be closer. And let's take a different look at it I think the Astros starters are MUCH better than the Red Sox. I would take every pitcher the Astros have over the Red Sox. Verlander over Sale. Cole over Price etc. and the Red Sox beat them easily. The difference between the Astros Red Sox and Yankees is so close. It will come down to who gets hot in the playoffs. Gleybar Torres had a shaky second half. Need him to take the next step and become a 300 hitter. Severino can become a dominant ace. Can Clint Frazier play a role? Does Sanchez come back strong which I think he will. There are lots of questions. Again, this time last year the Astros seemed unbeatable and then the signed Cole. Red Dox bottom of the order doesn't scare me long term. They just got hot at the right time. Nunez and their catcher who is like a .190 hitter lifetime hitting key homeruns? Got hot. We will see next year.

See I actually don't think they are behind the starters at all. Especially if they sign Corbin. The difference between the Red Sox and Yankees last year was they had more ways to beat us offensively. They beat us 1-9 in the order. We struck out too much and didn't get the big hit. I don't think it was dominant pitching because that was our MO all year. The Yankees have or will have after free agency the players to beat the Red Sox. Do I think the Red Sox are still better? Yes. But it is close and if we make the right moves it will be closer. And let's take a different look at it I think the Astros starters are MUCH better than the Red Sox. I would take every pitcher the Astros have over the Red Sox. Verlander over Sale. Cole over Price etc. and the Red Sox beat them easily. The difference between the Astros Red Sox and Yankees is so close. It will come down to who gets hot in the playoffs. Gleybar Torres had a shaky second half. Need him to take the next step and become a 300 hitter. Severino can become a dominant ace. Can Clint Frazier play a role? Does Sanchez come back strong which I think he will. There are lots of questions. Again, this time last year the Astros seemed unbeatable and then the signed Cole. Red Dox bottom of the order doesn't scare me long term. They just got hot at the right time. Nunez and their catcher who is like a .190 hitter lifetime hitting key homeruns? Got hot. We will see next year.

I don't disagree on anything except the Corbin part of it. I seem to be missing the Corbin love. Last year was his only good year.

I don't disagree on anything except the Corbin part of it. I seem to be missing the Corbin love. Last year was his only good year.
I don't love Corbin either but he was coming back off TJ surgery and trending up with good swing and miss stuff. He is an upgrade to our staff. How much of an upgrade remains to be seen but he is better than CC so he is an upgrade. If you made me guess he is a 15-7 pitcher who could get hot in the playoffs with strikeout stuff. It is the best we can do. There are not many true aces in the game anymore. Even Kluber got hit hard the last two post seasons. I wouldn't want to trade a ton for him either. Severino is the key. He has to take the next step.

On Fatso's show. About a week after they were eliminated. Very direct that he will be traded. I would imagine that interview can be found on WFAN website.

Thanks. I guess I’m too wrapped up in college football and missed that. Seems odd to state that publicly; I wonder if that hurts Gray’s value, knowing that the Yanks want to move him.

I don't love Corbin either but he was coming back off TJ surgery and trending up with good swing and miss stuff. He is an upgrade to our staff. How much of an upgrade remains to be seen but he is better than CC so he is an upgrade. If you made me guess he is a 15-7 pitcher who could get hot in the playoffs with strikeout stuff. It is the best we can do. There are not many true aces in the game anymore. Even Kluber got hit hard the last two post seasons. I wouldn't want to trade a ton for him either. Severino is the key. He has to take the next step.
So, my question is...did TJ surgery make him a bionic man for 1 year or 5?
Before this year, he gave up more hits per innings pitched and averaged under 1k per inning.
Nothing in his career before this one single year, excites me. Will he take 45 for 4 or does he want100 for 5?

Reactions: JIMSOULS
As a Dodger fan, I have watched Corbin quite a bit. He had an impressive year, but turns 30 in July and nothing in his history suggests him suddenly becoming an ace. In the last three years, total pitchers with 200-plus innings each season are 15, 15 and 13 (three lowest totals ever). Hardly anyone tosses that many innings in back-to-back seasons anymore. Educated guess that Corbin isn't going to be one of those Scherzer or Verlander types who bucks the trend.

I would hate to be suckered into overpaying for Corbin after what is clearly his career year. It's not that the Yankees can't afford it. The problem is penciling him into the top of the rotation and having him pull a Sonny Gray. What then?

A more interesting scenario would be making a pitch to Washington for the final three years of Scherzer's deal. Will be entering his age 34 season, but at least there is a history of success. Scherzer is owed $126 million for the three years, some of which is deferred through 2028. The Nats have a nice young nucleus and might be willing to move Scherzer if they can add another worthwhile piece or two.

I would rather take a chance on getting two strong years out of Scherzer than shelling out big bucks to a guy like Corbin who might not pan out. Let someone else take that risk. Scherzer-Severino would be quite a tandem at the top of the rotatrion. What other teams could match it?

As a Dodger fan, I have watched Corbin quite a bit. He had an impressive year, but turns 30 in July and nothing in his history suggests him suddenly becoming an ace. In the last three years, total pitchers with 200-plus innings each season are 15, 15 and 13 (three lowest totals ever). Hardly anyone tosses that many innings in back-to-back seasons anymore. Educated guess that Corbin isn't going to be one of those Scherzer or Verlander types who bucks the trend.

I would hate to be suckered into overpaying for Corbin after what is clearly his career year. It's not that the Yankees can't afford it. The problem is penciling him into the top of the rotation and having him pull a Sonny Gray. What then?

A more interesting scenario would be making a pitch to Washington for the final three years of Scherzer's deal. Will be entering his age 34 season, but at least there is a history of success. Scherzer is owed $126 million for the three years, some of which is deferred through 2028. The Nats have a nice young nucleus and might be willing to move Scherzer if they can add another worthwhile piece or two.

I would rather take a chance on getting two strong years out of Scherzer than shelling out big bucks to a guy like Corbin who might not pan out. Let someone else take that risk. Scherzer-Severino would be quite a tandem at the top of the rotatrion. What other teams could match it?
Yes your Scherzer situation is more interesting however I can't see them trading him. It would take a HUGE return as well. Even then I dont see them doing it.

We aren't asking Corbin to be an ace. There aren't any aces out there. There are only 5 or 6 aces in all of baseball and none are getting traded save Kluber who got shelled the last two years in December. The money for Corbin makes no difference to me. It's not my money and Hal will start spending again.

There are quite a bit more than six aces in baseball. Heck, the Mets have two of them. It doesn't hurt to ask about Scherzer. Why give ace money to a guy like Corbin who has no track record for consistent production? If you haven't noticed, the Nats are poising themselves for a long run of contending in the post-Harper era. Trading Scherzer would free up money to continue in that direction. They also owe five years and $138 million to Strasburg (can opt out after year three), who can't be moved due to his frequent health woes. Strasburg gets $42 million next year and $38 million in 2020. That's $80 million per season for two pitchers. Nats would be smart to trade the guy who would net a return (as the Mets should be doing with deGrom at his peak value).

The goal is building a winner. Moving Scherzer lengthens the Nats' window well into the next decade. It also gives the Yankees an excellent shot of returning to the World Series in 2019 and 2020, if not 2021 as well. Put it this way: Scherzer is coming off six straight seasons that are better than the career year Corbin just had. Three Cy Young Awards, a runner-up and two fifth place finishes. Which pitcher is the better bet to anchor the Yankees' staff alongside Severino?

The key to everything with the Yankees is what Severino do you get? 1st half or 2nd half? Because none of the pitchers being discussed are all that exciting. Quite honestly, Happ may be a better fit then Corbin or Kuechel
The team has to stay healthy as well. And WTF do you do with Bird and Sanchez?

There are quite a bit more than six aces in baseball. Heck, the Mets have two of them. It doesn't hurt to ask about Scherzer. Why give ace money to a guy like Corbin who has no track record for consistent production? If you haven't noticed, the Nats are poising themselves for a long run of contending in the post-Harper era. Trading Scherzer would free up money to continue in that direction. They also owe five years and $138 million to Strasburg (can opt out after year three), who can't be moved due to his frequent health woes. Strasburg gets $42 million next year and $38 million in 2020. That's $80 million per season for two pitchers. Nats would be smart to trade the guy who would net a return (as the Mets should be doing with deGrom at his peak value).

The goal is building a winner. Moving Scherzer lengthens the Nats' window well into the next decade. It also gives the Yankees an excellent shot of returning to the World Series in 2019 and 2020, if not 2021 as well. Put it this way: Scherzer is coming off six straight seasons that are better than the career year Corbin just had. Three Cy Young Awards, a runner-up and two fifth place finishes. Which pitcher is the better bet to anchor the Yankees' staff alongside Severino?

No to trading deGrom after his first great season. Sign him now to a long term deal, hopefully get 2 or 3 more great seasons and then move him. He will still get a ton in return. And quite honestly, I don't trust the Met's to make a trade of this magnitude and get it right.

And Scherzer would not be alongside anyone...he would immediately be the ACE and Severino become number 2...

Hmm, me likes this idea.
:)

The key to everything with the Yankees is what Severino do you get? 1st half or 2nd half? Because none of the pitchers being discussed are all that exciting. Quite honestly, Happ may be a better fit then Corbin or Kuechel
The team has to stay healthy as well. And WTF do you do with Bird and Sanchez?
Definitely resign Happ and add another starter.

Name the aces. I am not taking about a teams number 1. I am taking about a guy you can throw against Scherzer and feel confident. There are only a handful. After that we have the next best guy in Severino.

Scherzer
DeGrom
Sale
Kluber (maybe he is on the decline)
Thor if healthy
Verlander

That's really it. Maybe Cole. Then you get into that next tier that Severino tops IMO.

No to trading deGrom after his first great season. Sign him now to a long term deal, hopefully get 2 or 3 more great seasons and then move him. He will still get a ton in return. And quite honestly, I don't trust the Met's to make a trade of this magnitude and get it right.

And Scherzer would not be alongside anyone...he would immediately be the ACE and Severino become number 2...

By "alongside" I mean he would give the Yankees a solid 1-2 combination atop the rotation.

Re deGrom: He will be 31 in June. The longer the Mets hang onto him, the more his value drops. History tells us that pitchers don't repeat these types of seasons. I feel the Mets blew it by not dealing deGrom at the in-season trade deadline when his value was at its absolute peak. He would have fetched an amazing package of high-level prospects. They should have traded deGrom in July and Syndergaard this winter. Control the pitching market and get three-or-four top prospects for each, be back in the game by 2020. At this point, Syndergaard has more value due to his age. DeGrom has already had his career year. We probably haven't seen the best of Syndergaard.

The overall talent level on the Mets is poor at both the big-league and minor-league levels. Combine the Mets everyday roster with that of any playoff team and at least seven of the eight starting positions would be filled by the playoff team. When teams like the Red Sox, Dodgers or Yankees lose a key player for an extended time, they fill from within and keep on going. The Mets fall apart due to lack of depth. They need a total rebuild.

I get that you don't trust the Mets to properly trade these players. Instead of a qualified GM candidate, they hired an agent. The Orioles are set to hire Astros assistant GM Mike Elias. Nice move as he knows a thing a two about a successful rebuild. This guy wasn't even interviewed by the Mets. We will likely see similar stories when the Dodgers and Giants name their new general managers. The Mets are a clueless franchise incapable of doing the right thing by rebuilding due to their Yankees inferiority complex. Expect them to waste this rebuild opportunity as a result.

By "alongside" I mean he would give the Yankees a solid 1-2 combination atop the rotation.

Re deGrom: He will be 31 in June. The longer the Mets hang onto him, the more his value drops. History tells us that pitchers don't repeat these types of seasons. I feel the Mets blew it by not dealing deGrom at the in-season trade deadline when his value was at its absolute peak. He would have fetched an amazing package of high-level prospects. They should have traded deGrom in July and Syndergaard this winter. Control the pitching market and get three-or-four top prospects for each, be back in the game by 2020. At this point, Syndergaard has more value due to his age. DeGrom has already had his career year. We probably haven't seen the best of Syndergaard.

The overall talent level on the Mets is poor at both the big-league and minor-league levels. Combine the Mets everyday roster with that of any playoff team and at least seven of the eight starting positions would be filled by the playoff team. When teams like the Red Sox, Dodgers or Yankees lose a key player for an extended time, they fill from within and keep on going. The Mets fall apart due to lack of depth. They need a total rebuild.

I get that you don't trust the Mets to properly trade these players. Instead of a qualified GM candidate, they hired an agent. The Orioles are set to hire Astros assistant GM Mike Elias. Nice move as he knows a thing a two about a successful rebuild. This guy wasn't even interviewed by the Mets. We will likely see similar stories when the Dodgers and Giants name their new general managers. The Mets are a clueless franchise incapable of doing the right thing by rebuilding due to their Yankees inferiority complex. Expect them to waste this rebuild opportunity as a result.
DeGrom and Syndergaard are counting the days until they get to go to a real franchise. #wastedtalent

Bumgarner, Greinke, Kershaw, Nola, Snell, Freeland and, yes, Severino.
Smell is the only one I would give you and he only had one good year. Bumbgardner and Kershaw are on the downside. I wouldn’t call them high caliber aces anymore. Everyone on that list other than Snell is Tanaka level to me. Nola has some potential but still unproven overall.

ADVERTISEMENT