ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Observation regarding Tattoos on College Athletes.

I love how the OP was so careful not to offend anyone with a tattoo. This is where we have come in our society that we are afraid to express our feelings on tattoos. I really feel bad for the young people, they are so screwed.

I love how the OP was so careful not to offend anyone with a tattoo. This is where we have come in our society that we are afraid to express our feelings on tattoos. I really feel bad for the young people, they are so screwed.

The OP lives in Santa Fe which is one of the world's major art centers. And having worked with 200+ art galleries for more than 2 decades, while also having an extensive collection of personal art, I have coined the term that 'Art is the 2nd most subjective thing in life after love.'

Some art I don't care for, but others do...so who am I to criticize their choice and vice versa.

Tats are the same way IMHO. Some say it's art for the body and my 16 year old says it's graffiti for your body, which I agree with. So-called body art (tats) I don't like, but others do...so who am I to criticize their choice.

Not being so careful, just showing a long knowledge of the art market, which I think has paralells to this thread.

To each their own.

Reactions: Jm0513
It’s definitely art. It may not be for everyone, but there is some really beautiful work walking around out there.

harv_yale_09.jpg

OP does your son get invited to parties? Chances are very high he will have close friends including girls that will think your aversion to ink is archaic.

Reactions: madchuck
I don’t care about em.
I choose not to have one.
My current kids will have a choice when they’re 18.
My 32 year old daughter has a spiritual saying on the back of her shoulder, her being a new age medicine advocate / Yoga instructor...it fits.

I think they look quite silly and ugly on middle aged women.

Reactions: madchuck
My son had a girlfriend who had quite a few visible tats. They didn’t bother me too much, but the multiple facial piercings grossed me out. (Yes they ultimately broke up)

FBI profilers used to consider tats on a dead, unidentified female as indicating a 90% chance of prostitution and/or drug use.

Tats are a primitive/tribal art form. Professional having tats doesn't change that (I know some doctors who are more tribal than they realize lol).

I'm not a tat person but some have gotten better. The skulls, snakes, drama masks, lover names seem to have given way somewhat to more sophisticated designs. I don't like words because they will blur to scribbles. I know people with $1000 dollar tats that wouldn't pay $10 for the same "art" on paper

Some people are just deforming themselves with tats and body mods (plugs in ears etc) and its just self harm. I've come to look past the tats but fish hooks in nipples is a line with red alerts. That's a thot.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Was surprised by number of tattoos at Army Navy game. Thought the services frowned on obvious tatoos
The Academies allow tattoo's, they just have very strict rules on placement, type, etc.

OP does your son get invited to parties? Chances are very high he will have close friends including girls that will think your aversion to ink is archaic.

Yes he does.

Actually he wants to be an airline pilot and he said when he interviews for a Regional job and then for the Majors he's going to wear a dress short sleeve shirt and a tie so the interviewers can see 1- he's ripped and 2- he has no tats

To add some color to this Discussion...the population between 15 and 40 with Tattoos is staggering and athletics is pretty consistent with the general population of persons with Tattoos.

My partner and I have two Biotechs....North Cell Pharmaceutical has been selling a Patented Tattoo Renewal lotion for 7+ years in North America and France.

All Natural OTC “Fresh Ink™”with Skin Resuscitation™ (SRF™), a Patented anti-oxidant formula clinically shown to enhance the appearance of tattoos in as little as two weeks.

Originally, it was created to encourage people with Tattoos to not get old Tattoos touched up (increased risk of getting Hepatitis C from the use of going deeper with needles used in the tattoo touch-up process - avg cost for the 8 to 12 week cure for Hepatitis C is $89,000. - not covered by insurance).

In spite of this, in 2017, the reported number of Tattoos: 45 Million Americans have at least one tattoo.

There is no shortage of customers that pay $20 to $25 per Fresh Ink bottle to enhance the appearance of an average size old Tattoo or maintain the color of a new one after it has healed.

Statistically speaking you will likely find a similar number of athletes with a Tattoo that is in the general population of a university....basketball is one of the smallest number of athletes on a team in college sports and going to one basketball game is not a valid statistical size sample to make a judgement....study one conference vs another vs another, etc. would be more revealing.

By the way, just because you cannot see a Tattoo on a basketball player, it does not mean they are Tattoo-less!

The Academies allow tattoo's, they just have very strict rules on placement, type, etc.
I wonder if tats will ever be so common that those looking to move into intelligence fields will wonder if NOT having any tats marks them.. rather than the other way around... where tats would help identify them. I knew a Rutgers ROTC guy that was intent on going into intel.. avoided being in photos... would never consider a tat... it was funny seeing him dodge people taking photos.. that was pre-cell phone cameras.. not sure its possible today.

Yes he does.

Actually he wants to be an airline pilot and he said when he interviews for a Regional job and then for the Majors he's going to wear a dress short sleeve shirt and a tie so the interviewers can see 1- he's ripped and 2- he has no tats
I guess I don’t see a ton of “ripped” pilots but if that helps...

I just had art work done for #3...getting it done after the holidays...can't wait!

** I'm not a collegiate athlete, rich, nor poor, but am Mediterranean. Does that count for anything?

Yes he does.

I'd rather hire a guy with a visible neck tattoo than someone who would wear a short sleeve shirt to a job interview.

I'd rather hire a guy with a visible neck tattoo than someone who would wear a short sleeve shirt to a job interview.

In that line of business, a short sleeve dress shirt is fine for the interview.

And add on to that a candidate who currently does D1 basbeall workouts as a soph in HS and has no tats.....can you say HIRED!

In that line of business, a short sleeve dress shirt is fine for the interview.

And add on to that a candidate who currently does D1 basbeall workouts as a soph in HS and has no tats.....can you say HIRED!

So the only requirements to be an airline pilot are being a meathead and not having tattoos? I didn't know the standards for pilots were so low...

So the only requirements to be an airline pilot are being a meathead and not having tattoos? I didn't know the standards for pilots were so low...

Meathead...speaking of a meathead...look in the mirror Dickhead.

Kid's a sophomore and is pulling a 4.2 and will start varsity HS baseball for the next 3 years, works out 3x a week, is trained by D1 coaches and also flies.

That's some meathead, Dickhead.

Meathead...speaking of a meathead...look in the mirror Dickhead.

Kid's a sophomore and is pulling a 4.2 and will start varsity HS baseball for the next 3 years, works out 3x a week, is trained by D1 coaches and also flies.

That's some meathead, Dickhead.
SantaFe- you deserve to bust this poster on this. It is why I may have posed a question in a way that was not personal. Never have understood why some people don’t stop and think when posting.
And congrats. Though, he could easily have discreet tattoos and it really wouldn’t matter. No one on an interview would know.

It's socio-economics. Most poor people get tats. Rich/wealthy people generally do not. I know that's going to upset someone and they'll bring up some outlier, but that's generally true. Rich/wealthy people in a recruiting situation care about academics, hence why their kids go to the aforementioned schools. Poor people generally think "NFL" first, hence why they go to football factories and why you see plenty of those kids with a sleeve tat by their junior year...then complain they have no money for food. It's a mindset and it's why poor people stay poor.

God, you're dumb.

I think it is partially true.

It is a lot like the sneakers.

Don't save for important things.. like houses.

-But you can buy the identity that comes with the hottest sneakers... or designer hoodie.

-Then you can afford the luxury statement of tats... or weaves or fancy nails.

-Then maybe the hottest wheels for your little rice-burner.

-Then maybe make a statement of style with a luxury or sports car.

I'm sure its similar in poor redneck areas.

And its the same as keeping up with the Joneses.. status symbols to show where you stand among your peers.

Its like this:

Take a look folks. This is what happens to your brain when you mainline Tucker Carlson and Rush Limbaugh all day.

Reactions: RUbacker
Yeah, because none of the tattooed players get them from friends for free or cheap.

Also, none of the detractors ate anything besides cans of beans while they had a mortgage, student loan, credit card debt. Not one fun expense during that time.

Older generations are really something. SMH.

Pssst...they just don't like black people. Pretty simple.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

And my son told me last night he's taking AP Calculus and 2 other AP classes (I can't remember which) next year as a Junior because he needs to show the top flight schools (Purdue, Embry Riddle, tOSU, Az State, North Dakota, etc.) that he deserves an academic ride. And he said, he needs to show them that in his Jr. year and have his flight school locked up by the time he enters his Sr. year. And he just turned 16. Some meathead, huh.

I think it is a fad, a statement, an expression of art and a to a great extent a generational thing.

Personally I see it like we saw long hair and torn jeans with flannel shirts as a statement in the 1970's. But unlike tats, it was much easier to discard as one aged and changed. Tats are pretty permanent unless you want to deal with a lot of pain and money.

I don't see it as a socioeconomic issue as professional athletes and entertainers among the richest people in the world all have tatoos. I also see many folks who work at places like Google, Amazon, Facebook with them. Working in the corporate world is a little more trickier as it tends to be more conservative by nature.

I just see a lot of middle aged and older people walking around who I have to believe regret decisions they made 15 years ago.

And my son told me last night he's taking AP Calculus and 2 other AP classes (I can't remember which) next year as a Junior because he needs to show the top flight schools (Purdue, Embry Riddle, tOSU, Az State, North Dakota, etc.) that he deserves an academic ride. And he said, he needs to show them that in his Jr. year and have his flight school locked up by the time he enters his Sr. year. And he just turned 16. Some meathead, huh.
nobody gives a crap

RUskoolie said:
It's socio-economics. Most poor people get tats. Rich/wealthy people generally do not. I know that's going to upset someone and they'll bring up some outlier, but that's generally true. Rich/wealthy people in a recruiting situation care about academics, hence why their kids go to the aforementioned schools. Poor people generally think "NFL" first, hence why they go to football factories and why you see plenty of those kids with a sleeve tat by their junior year...then complain they have no money for food. It's a mindset and it's why poor people stay poor.

God, you're dumb.

Which part of his statement makes him dumb? If you go by the percentages, he is right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT