ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Ocean City MD suggestions

StyleKnight

All American
Jan 13, 2012
I am coordinating my brother's bachelor party in Ocean City, MD. I need to pick a restaurant that can handle 12 guys with good food on the south side of ocean city. Does anyone have suggestions for a restaurant? Any other advice on what bars to hit up or fun stuff to do during the day would be appreciated also. Thank you in advance.

I am coordinating my brother's bachelor party in Ocean City, MD. I need to pick a restaurant that can handle 12 guys with good food on the south side of ocean city. Does anyone have suggestions for a restaurant? Any other advice on what bars to hit up or fun stuff to do during the day would be appreciated also. Thank you in advance.

If you spend the majority of your time at Seacrets you won't be disappointed

Lived there for seven summers through undergrad and grad but it has been a while (20 years to be exact). Still have some buddies that live there and/or own businesses.

• Seacrets is awesome. Don't even think of eating anything other than Jerk Chicken. Rum Runner or Pain in De Ass for a drink. Personally, I would go there during the day. As an FYI, if you walk in the main entrance you will see a little tiki bar. In the beginning, that was Seacrets. It was meant to be a place where locals could go to get away from the tourists and you had to show your ID and be a local to get in. My how times have changed. Pretty sure it is rated as one of the #1 outdoor bars on the East coast and it may be the largest.
  • Absolutely, positively make sure you go to Bull on the Beach for lunch or dinner one day. As another FYI, the owner, Phil Houck, designed a pit barbecue (I believe he was an engineer by trade) in his driveway and used to have neighbors over on the weekends for pit beef and drinks. Well, he realized he was onto something, patented it and opened up a little place on the boardwalk that is probably smaller than your living room. Popularity grew and he opened a larger, sit down version up on 94th Street as well as one in the old Howard Johnson on 12th Street next to Brass Balls. I know they used to be in a mall up in Baltimore as well. Anyhow, my recommendation is hot roast beef, gravy and fries. Can't go wrong with anything beef though.
  • Brass Balls on the boardwalk between 11th & 12th. Rum Runner with floater (151 topper). Don't drink more than one.
  • I'm guessing that you are only there for a weekend. Each weekday is a deck party (5 pm until sunset) on the bay. In order, Fagers, Seacrets, BJs, Seacrets. I would go to Fager's any day though.
  • Harpoon Hannas. You're going to need to get the bus for this one (hey, who doesn't want to ride the bus in OCMD) and you'll have a hike...maybe better drive. Any night is a good night at Hannas. It can be pretty chill outside and you're on the North side so it is generally more laid back.
  • If you're going to be on the North side, probably want to hit up The Greene Turtle. Generally have live music and it's a cool spot. In addition, it is right by Jamestown Road which is one of the biggest spots that college kids rent a place for the summer. Not sure how old you are but if you walked down Jamestown and the roads that go off it, I guarantee someone will invite you in for a beer. Other streets to either hit up or avoid like the plague depending on your viewpoint are 28th (Robin Drive) and 94th.
  • If you are deep South, The Angler was always a cool place with a nice deck. Sundays and Wednesdays they used to have .$10 drafts so that was the spot. Expect to hear Meatloaf.
  • Deep South also says The Bearded Clam could be in your future.
  • Finally, if you are willing to go to West OC (maybe you're playing a round at Eagles) then go to Decatur Diner and ask for Breakfast Bill. He is from Harrisburg originally and has lived there for 30 years. The place is his and his brothers. Their specialty is The Pipeline. Bill is an awesome dude and could tell you everything you ever wanted to know about OCMD.
There used to be a pool bar down there somewhere around 30th but I don't remember the name of the hotel. Could be more now. Also, they used to have hot body contests throughout the weekend at various places during the day. Not sure if you are into that. I never went but had a roommate who did them during the weekends and made bank. She's an ER Dr. now...if people only knew. HA!

Obviously, make sure you get crabs and shrimp. Trip Advisor can help you out. I'll also PM a buddy of mine and ask him the best spot because it used to be a place that was just a shack.

Sorry I don't have an exact restaurant. What street you staying on and what price range?

While night time there is definitely a good time, day time in the bay is the can't miss part of Seacrets.

Just stay out of the water. Or bring penicillin with you. That water is worse than Brazil's.

Oh, for crabs go to the Crab Bag. Easily the best spot in OCMD. Make a rez first.

Okay what about restuarant suggestions? Any good steak or rib places?

Style,

I literally just got back from my bro’s bachelor party in OC (we had 16 guys). Here is my advice:

Restaurants (for 12 guys): None of the restaurants in OC will take reservations (I called around). There was one place that did – KY West Restaurant (I know bizarre name). Pronounced “Key” West Restaurant. Food was very good. Rib eye and 14oz NY strip on the menu. Fish was excellent – very fresh. Centrally located right next door to Macky’s Pub (great bar on the bay – hit Macky’s on Thursday night) and Seacrets.

Other Restaurants:

-Shenanigans (good food – very good Sheppard’s Pie – O’Hara’s and Smithwicks on tap) – down on the South end.

-M.R. Ducks (decent food)

-Brass Balls Saloon (decent food near south end – they serve breakfast)

-Liquid Assets (great food)

-Hammerheads (“Breastaurant” like Hooters – there is a Hooters too right near it)

-45th Street Taphouse

-Fractured Prune (for their doughnuts)

Hangover Food (Breakfast):

-The Sahara

-Laytons 16th Street Restaurant (big portions and homemade doughnuts)

Bars:

-**Seacrets

-**Mackys Pub (right near Seacrets – not as crazy as Seacrets but a fun spot)

-**Kirby’s Pub

-**45th Street Taphouse (good micro brew selection)

-Pickles (darts and you can shoot pool)

-The Cork Bar

-Purple Moose

-Ocean City Brewery (not bad)

-There is a decent rooftop bar as well – just google it – can’t remember the name of it.

Golf (in order):

1a. Links at Rum Pointe (very nice Pete Dye course – think it’s a Pete Dye track.)

1b. Lighthouse Sound (same management company as Rum Pointe – also very nice track.)

2. Glenn Riddle – War Admiral (tough course that was in good condition – a lot of forced carries)

*Weekend tee times will run you around $79 per person.

Lived there for seven summers through undergrad and grad but it has been a while (20 years to be exact). Still have some buddies that live there and/or own businesses.

• Seacrets is awesome. Don't even think of eating anything other than Jerk Chicken. Rum Runner or Pain in De Ass for a drink. Personally, I would go there during the day. As an FYI, if you walk in the main entrance you will see a little tiki bar. In the beginning, that was Seacrets. It was meant to be a place where locals could go to get away from the tourists and you had to show your ID and be a local to get in. My how times have changed. Pretty sure it is rated as one of the #1 outdoor bars on the East coast and it may be the largest.
  • Absolutely, positively make sure you go to Bull on the Beach for lunch or dinner one day. As another FYI, the owner, Phil Houck, designed a pit barbecue (I believe he was an engineer by trade) in his driveway and used to have neighbors over on the weekends for pit beef and drinks. Well, he realized he was onto something, patented it and opened up a little place on the boardwalk that is probably smaller than your living room. Popularity grew and he opened a larger, sit down version up on 94th Street as well as one in the old Howard Johnson on 12th Street next to Brass Balls. I know they used to be in a mall up in Baltimore as well. Anyhow, my recommendation is hot roast beef, gravy and fries. Can't go wrong with anything beef though.
  • Brass Balls on the boardwalk between 11th & 12th. Rum Runner with floater (151 topper). Don't drink more than one.
  • I'm guessing that you are only there for a weekend. Each weekday is a deck party (5 pm until sunset) on the bay. In order, Fagers, Seacrets, BJs, Seacrets. I would go to Fager's any day though.
  • Harpoon Hannas. You're going to need to get the bus for this one (hey, who doesn't want to ride the bus in OCMD) and you'll have a hike...maybe better drive. Any night is a good night at Hannas. It can be pretty chill outside and you're on the North side so it is generally more laid back.
  • If you're going to be on the North side, probably want to hit up The Greene Turtle. Generally have live music and it's a cool spot. In addition, it is right by Jamestown Road which is one of the biggest spots that college kids rent a place for the summer. Not sure how old you are but if you walked down Jamestown and the roads that go off it, I guarantee someone will invite you in for a beer. Other streets to either hit up or avoid like the plague depending on your viewpoint are 28th (Robin Drive) and 94th.
  • If you are deep South, The Angler was always a cool place with a nice deck. Sundays and Wednesdays they used to have .$10 drafts so that was the spot. Expect to hear Meatloaf.
  • Finally, if you are willing to go to West OC (maybe you're playing a round at Eagles) then go to Decatur Diner and ask for Breakfast Bill. He is from Harrisburg originally and has lived there for 30 years. The place is his and his brothers. Their specialty is The Pipeline. Bill is an awesome dude and could tell you everything you ever wanted to know about OCMD.
There used to be a pool bar down there somewhere around 30th but I don't remember the name of the hotel. Could be more now. Also, they used to have hot body contests throughout the weekend at various places during the day. Not sure if you are into that. I never went but had a roommate who did them during the weekends and made bank. She's an ER Dr. now...if people only knew. HA!

Obviously, make sure you get crabs and shrimp. Trip Advisor can help you out. I'll also PM a buddy of mine and ask him the best spot because it used to be a place that was just a shack.

Sorry I don't have an exact restaurant. What street you staying on and what price range?

They pool bar is at the Holiday Inn. Ask for RB. He will hook you up.

Yea we are definitely going to try out Seacrets. Is it better for day drinking or night drinking?

Day drinking - go there on Saturdays (don't forget the penicillin)
Night drinking - good anytime - particularly Friday and Saturday - they have decent bands playing live music

Style,

I literally just got back from my bro’s bachelor party in OC (we had 16 guys). Here is my advice:

Restaurants (for 12 guys): None of the restaurants in OC will take reservations (I called around). There was one place that did – KY West Restaurant (I know bizarre name). Pronounced “Key” West Restaurant. Food was very good. Rib eye and 14oz NY strip on the menu. Fish was excellent – very fresh. Centrally located right next door to Macky’s Pub (great bar on the bay – hit Macky’s on Thursday night) and Seacrets.

Other Restaurants:

-Shenanigans (good food – very good Sheppard’s Pie – O’Hara’s and Smithwicks on tap) – down on the South end.

-M.R. Ducks (decent food)

-Brass Balls Saloon (decent food near south end – they serve breakfast)

-Liquid Assets (great food)

-Hammerheads (“Breastaurant” like Hooters – there is a Hooters too right near it)

-45th Street Taphouse

-Fractured Prune (for their doughnuts)

Hangover Food (Breakfast):

-The Sahara

-Laytons 16th Street Restaurant (big portions and homemade doughnuts)

Bars:

-**Seacrets

-**Mackys Pub (right near Seacrets – not as crazy as Seacrets but a fun spot)

-**Kirby’s Pub

-**45th Street Taphouse (good micro brew selection)

-Pickles (darts and you can shoot pool)

-The Cork Bar

-Purple Moose

-Ocean City Brewery (not bad)

-There is a decent rooftop bar as well – just google it – can’t remember the name of it.

Golf (in order):

1a. Links at Rum Pointe (very nice Pete Dye course – think it’s a Pete Dye track.)

1b. Lighthouse Sound (same management company as Rum Pointe – also very nice track.)

2. Glenn Riddle – War Admiral (tough course that was in good condition – a lot of forced carries)

*Weekend tee times will run you around $79 per person.

Pickle's Pub down around 10th Street? Damn, I thought that place had closed. That was our go-to local place when we didn't feel like going out. If it is the same place, I absolutely loved it there. So chill.

Just stay out of the water. Or bring penicillin with you. That water is worse than Brazil's.

It certainly isn't the cleanest water ever, but the multitude of bachelorette parties around you in bikinis will help you forget about it. Get there early (10am on Saturday) to get a table in the bay and enjoy it all day long.

Pickle's Pub down around 10th Street? Damn, I thought that place had closed. That was our go-to local place when we didn't feel like going out. If it is the same place, I absolutely loved it there. So chill.

Yup - still there and I would imagine it still looks the same. I liked that spot. Real laid back vibe.

Reactions: kjb32812
It certainly isn't the cleanest water ever, but the multitude of bachelorette parties around you in bikinis will help you forget about it. Get there early (10am on Saturday) to get a table in the bay and enjoy it all day long.

Sitting in stagnant urine from 500 people drinking all day and pissing in the water is gross no matter how you slice it.

Yup - still there and I would imagine it still looks the same. I liked that spot. Real laid back vibe.

I just looked up the website...definitely doesn't look the same. Looks like they classed it up a bit (understandable). I also don't know if the place even had a sign back when I was there. It was new though. Had a great rectangle bar with three sides to sit right in the middle of the place and then pool and darts everywhere else. No live music or anything, just a place people went to chill out after work. Sometimes if we would overdo it we would trek down to Shenanigans and finish the night off with an Irish Mist binge.

Loved Shenanigans - my buddy thought they had the best Sheppard's Pie he has ever eaten. Any place with Smithwicks and O'Hara's on tap will always get my business.

Loved Shenanigans - my buddy thought they had the best Sheppard's Pie he has ever eaten. Any place with Smithwicks and O'Hara's on tap will always get my business.

I've only been there for two reasons. St. Patty's Day and a late night Irish Mist/Grand Marnier binge. Seven summers as well as a year rounder after grad school and I know I never ate there.

Thanks for all the suggestions. How long were you down there for? We're staying Thursday to Sunday.

Thanks for all the suggestions. How long were you down there for? We're staying Thursday to Sunday.

If you get there Thursday, I'm pretty sure that is still a deck party night for Seacrets. Used to always be Tuesday and Thursday.

Thank you kjb. Im staying at 6th street, looks like right by pickles pub. I wanted to get a nice dinner one night. Places that are walkable nearby are De Lazy Lizard and Reel Inn.

Reactions: kjb32812
Thank you kjb. Im staying at 6th street, looks like right by pickles pub. I wanted to get a nice dinner one night. Places that are walkable nearby are De Lazy Lizard and Reel Inn.

Let me PM some of my buddies about a good place nearby. They all are in the restaurant biz so they will know.

You're in a great location for Bull on the Beach for a lunch and Brass Balls for kicking a night off. Again, not sure your age group but Balls is a nice blend of age and local/tourist.

Pickles is definitely not the same as when I was there based on the pictures. It was really a hole in the wall that was busy but no one knew about it so it wasn't generally packed.

Hate to say this but DUI wasn't much of a thing back when I was there so we had no issue driving up or down Coastal after a long night. If you can make your way up to Turtle and Hanna's, that would be a good night IMO. Long way home though so you'd have to figure out transportation.

They most know that the water is bad and go elsewhere

I would venture a guess that IUP has the most representation there. I met a ton of IUP folks there. Then again, many were people I worked with so you set up with a crew and kind of branch out from there.

Bay seating and tubes didn't exist when I was there. The only reason your were in the bay was to jet ski or catch a boat to get to a deck party. We did used to drop some crab traps off our pier when we lived bayside though. I also distinctly remember going in the Bay one St. Patty's day after four of us kicked a 1/4 keg.

The Reel Inn is actually a bar/restaurant within a gated condo community, Harbour Island, that I've have been staying at for 10+ years once we moved from oceanfront to bayfront. Mostly used by people staying there and boat owners who have their boats there in the marina. Home of the annual White Marlin Open fishing tourney.

Anyway, stick with De Lazy Lizard for that area, better venue than anything. Nice open area for drinks, we don't really eat there. Liquid Assets, with some tables situated within a liquor/wine store, definitely has some good eats. There's some places over in West OC, which really isn't far at all if you're staying down on 6th. The Shark being one place to check out over there. Martin Fish Company is another, which is nearby (recently changed names.) An unassuming surprise is Captains Table up on 15th and the ocean. Simple looking inside (restaurant is upstairs,) but the food is pretty good for the area. Harrison's Harbor Watch is right on the inlet back in OC, but only go for drinks and the raw bar, nothing else.

I've seen the recommendations for Brass Balls on the boards for drinks, they actually have a good breakfast for the morning after as well.

Where some of the better dining down there is up in DE in Bethany and Rehoboth, but with your limited time, the only place I'd recommend is Dogfish Head Brewings and Eats up in Rehoboth that you can hit up on your way in or out of OC. We usually stop for lunch on our way down.

Uber does exist down there, as well as the drunk bus that goes up and down coastal highway. Never used uber since my barhopping days are mostly behind me and typically party the night away in our condos.

same length of time - Thursday to Sunday. After 4 days you will probably have experienced all OC has to offer. I played golf Friday and Saturday.

The golf was surprisingly good. I think we hit every bar in OC between Thursday night and early Sunday morning. I just gave you the best spots. I think someone mentioned Fagers Island, which I didn't mention in my post. That is another good spot, but the lines to get in can be fairly long.

Seacrets, Macky's and Fagers were bachelorette party central.

same length of time - Thursday to Sunday. After 4 days you will probably have experienced all OC has to offer. I played golf Friday and Saturday.

The golf was surprisingly good. I think we hit every bar in OC between Thursday night and early Sunday morning. I just gave you the best spots. I think someone mentioned Fagers Island, which I didn't mention in my post. That is another good spot, but the lines to get in can be fairly long.

Seacrets, Macky's and Fagers were bachelorette party central.

I agree that you can pretty much see all OC has to offer in four days. I don't think it is possible to hit every bar in four days though.

If you go to eagles, you may hit up assateague for the horses. That's more of a family thing to do though. Just make sure you get up north because it is definitely a different vibe up there.

you going this weekend? i'll be down there for a bachelor party as well. Look for the crowd of drunk people in PSU gear ;)

you going this weekend? i'll be down there for a bachelor party as well. Look for the crowd of drunk people in PSU gear ;)

Drunk Rutgers fans and drunk PSU fans mixing three weeks prior to the football season kicking off. What could possibly go wrong?

Reactions: RUDutch and jup540
Fager's is loaded with drunk chicks getting their groove on, was just there a couple weeks ago.

ADVERTISEMENT