ADVERTISEMENT

Off Campus Housing New Brunswick

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
If anyone has any information on websites and other places to look for off-campus housing in New Brunswick, please post or send a message. Our son and 4 roommates are looking for a 5 bedroom home.

Please post any areas to avoid. We are fairly familiar with the city. We were advised to avoid the George Street area near Paul Robeson Blvd.

Thought the area around Delafield Street was safe, but considering what happened at 32 Delafield (the actual house is for rent), we wonder if that was just a random thing?

We have looked at places on Zillow, apartments.com and rentcolllegepads.com .

Knightshift, I know there were about 2,000 new apartments being built throughout New Brunswick a couple years ago, including some on Easton very close to Stuff Yer Face. All or almost all should be complete by now.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Knightshift, I know there were about 2,000 new apartments being built throughout New Brunswick a couple years ago, including some on Easton very close to Stuff Yer Face. All or almost all should be complete by now.
Thanks- 5 people to rent together-- looking for 4-5BR house.

Thanks- 5 people to rent together-- looking for 4-5BR house.
Hopefully some supply still out there but they may already be behind the curve timing-wise given that it's April and I suppose most leases start on June 1. So that may limit what's available at this point and then may have to consider houses closer to borderline/questionable areas.

It would be ideal if they can get a house with a 1-BR to occupant ratio at a reasonable rent. Back in the day, we did 8 in a 5BR house on Guilden, on the last block before St. Peters Hosp. The year before us it was only 6 girls in the same place, so yeah, we obviously pushed the limits in terms of occupancy.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The typical area would be the area bounded by roughly, Somerset, Louis, the river and the park.

I think the best regarded would be the area roughly between Easton and College Ave.

I lived a two houses in from Easton....my house was demolished and is now luxury apartments. And I'm on the younger side for this board! So i can only imagine what's out there now.

Also isn't Robeson Blvd = Commercial Ave down by Douglass?

I don't remember many students living over there. I think I knew some people like on that very first block north of Douglass.

Most people I think live in the 5th and 6th wards...north of Somerset, east of Louis and to campus.

More and more I think people live downtown as well but that's expensive. And not between New St and Douglass.

Knight Shift, I am NOT positive, but I think Steve from Scarlet Fever in New Brunswick rents out properties. You might want to give them a call.

If anyone has any information on websites and other places to look for off-campus housing in New Brunswick, please post or send a message. Our son and 4 roommates are looking for a 5 bedroom home.

Please post any areas to avoid. We are fairly familiar with the city. We were advised to avoid the George Street area near Paul Robeson Blvd.

Thought the area around Delafield Street was safe, but considering what happened at 32 Delafield (the actual house is for rent), we wonder if that was just a random thing?

Www.places4students.com There are many 5 bedrooms house listed. This site replaced the Rutgers off campus housing site a few years ago.

Here are some articles to help answer your questions. Feel free to DM me. We manage 500 students at RU. It's a bit late in the game to be looking but there are some deals out there right now.

Edit: I just checked our inventory and we have some 5 bedrooms. DM me.

Here are some articles to help answer your questions. Feel free to DM me. We manage 500 students at RU. It's a bit late in the game to be looking but there are some deals out there right now.

Edit: I just checked our inventory and we have some 5 bedrooms. DM me.

Thanks. I can't message because I don't have premium. We may connect with you offline.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Hopefully some supply still out there but they may already be behind the curve timing-wise given that it's April and I suppose most leases start on June 1. So that may limit what's available at this point and then may have to consider houses closer to borderline/questionable areas.

It would be ideal if they can get a house with a 1-BR to occupant ratio at a reasonable rent. Back in the day, we did 8 in a 5BR house on Guilden, on the last block before St. Peters Hosp. The year before us it was only 6 girls in the same place, so yeah, we obviously pushed the limits in terms of occupancy.
I used to own and rent 94 Guilden to students. It was a good idea when I lived upstairs and rented the 1st floor but once I got married and moved out it was nothing but headaches. Too many tickets from the city where court appearance was mandatory. Someone throws a beer can in your front lawn and you get a ticket for garbage violation

I used to own and rent 94 Guilden to students. It was a good idea when I lived upstairs and rented the 1st floor but once I got married and moved out it was nothing but headaches. Too many tickets from the city where court appearance was mandatory. Someone throws a beer can in your front lawn and you get a ticket for garbage violation
New Brunswick inspectors tend to fine a lot and dealing with the city on these matters is a real pain for home owners. They even hit you up if your sidewalk is uneven due to the city’s trees. For these reasons, I don’t think it’s worth having a rental in New B. Plus, kids literally destroy the homes. More hassle than it’s worth.

Reactions: 17Q66 and RUnTeX
New Brunswick inspectors tend to fine a lot and dealing with the city on these matters is a real pain for home owners. They even hit you up if your sidewalk is uneven due to the city’s trees. For these reasons, I don’t think it’s worth having a rental in New B. Plus, kids literally destroy the homes. More hassle than it’s worth.
Also, frequent turnover of students is a pain...

Reactions: 17Q66 and RUnTeX
Skoolie is the off campus guru. I own more, but he manages many more. His articles are spot on. I’ve been renting to students for over 20 years. Both of my kids attend/ed RU and live/ed off campus. I’m happy to answer any questions. gorusteveo@comcast.net

I lived on Central and Guilden during my time at Rutgers. Can not go wrong over there. New Brunswick is a city, and always need to treat it as such.

Skoolie is the off campus guru. I own more, but he manages many more. His articles are spot on. I’ve been renting to students for over 20 years. Both of my kids attend/ed RU and live/ed off campus. I’m happy to answer any questions. gorusteveo@comcast.net
Thanks, Steve. My son's situation changed, as his group opted to take a house in a sketchy area that was also too far from College Ave, and he opted out. We e are familiar with issues of living in the city. Unless he links up with another group, he may opt for campus housing or one of the new/newer apartment buildings such as Socam 290, The Quincy, and Verve. Have read mixed reviews on Verve.

Reactions: 17Q66
Thanks, Steve. My son's situation changed, as his group opted to take a house in a sketchy area that was also too far from College Ave, and he opted out. We e are familiar with issues of living in the city. Unless he links up with another group, he may opt for campus housing or one of the new/newer apartment buildings such as Socam 290, The Quincy, and Verve. Have read mixed reviews on Verve.
My $.02 is SoCam-Quincy-Standard are all downtown New Brunswick. While the building itself may be safer, the area is not. I’d rather my kid be on Delafield or Central. Also, to each their own, but I don’t understand why students would want to live way off campus and in downtown new bruns. It’s no where near campus and while Dela might be several blocks away as well it’s mostly students with a friends gathering/party a few houses away. Not really a “college” experience in SoCam/Quincy etc. Verve is ALL students in a great location next to campus. Rooms are tiny and expensive. It’s gets loud on weekends as it’s been fresh/sophs with no RA/preceptors and a bit chaotic at times

off campus with friends is a great learning experience and no reason to live in a dump. There’s plenty of decent houses, they’re just not new construction

My $.02 is SoCam-Quincy-Standard are all downtown New Brunswick. While the building itself may be safer, the area is not. I’d rather my kid be on Delafield or Central. Also, to each their own, but I don’t understand why students would want to live way off campus and in downtown new bruns. It’s no where near campus and while Dela might be several blocks away as well it’s mostly students with a friends gathering/party a few houses away. Not really a “college” experience in SoCam/Quincy etc. Verve is ALL students in a great location next to campus. Rooms are tiny and expensive. It’s gets loud on weekends as it’s been fresh/sophs with no RA/preceptors and a bit chaotic at times

off campus with friends is a great learning experience and no reason to live in a dump. There’s plenty of decent houses, they’re just not new construction
Loved living on central, right at the triangle of prosper and guilden. All my friends in apartments always came out to us for parties and gatherings. When I have students who ask me about off campus housing at Rutgers I always tell them to move to that area.

Reactions: 17Q66

Thanks for the great info. He has not ruled anything out, including living on campus. He's not a partier, and the Verve info is particularly helpful. Also good info on SoCam. According to info we received, the group that lived in the house on Delafield during the drive by shooting is still in that house. That area overall is not bad, but would stay away from that house.

You might consider still going the multi-bedroom if you are willing to take some risk.. get a 5 BR, split the rent 4 ways and have your son live for free off the other 4 roommates to be named later. Of course you have to swing a sweet deal for that. The risk is not finding 4 looking for a room.. suggest chicks rather than dudes.

I lived in New Brunswick (Robinson St, between Easton Ave. and Hamilton St.). The safest part of the town ii the 6th Ward (north of Somerset St., toward College Ave.). Rutgers village is also a very safe area but it requires a car to reach. Some blocks near Douglas College are also ok. My librarian wife's co-worker owns few apartments that rents for Rutgers students. I can hook you up with him if you wish to see if he has anything available.

ADVERTISEMENT