ADVERTISEMENT

OT- OFFICIAL 2017 YANKEES SEASON THREAD

Gleyber Torres has started at 3B two days in a row now. Hmmmm.

I thought they said on one of the Yankees broadcasts that Gleyber was playing three days at shortstop, two days at second base, and two days at third at AAA.
I can't see him playing over Gregorius or Castro.....so 3rd looks like the spot to me.

Last edited:
Sorry, we must be talking about two different things. IMO wins are the only thing.
As I said, Tanaka has gotten pounded the last two starts. And that has inflated what already was an unimpressive ERA. But if he can finish the season with 15 more wins for a total of 20 I'm betting the Yankees will be pleased. Yankees bats and bullpen will help him out.
Wins aren't a good barometer of a starting pitcher. He gets 20 wins with a 6+ ERA and they'll be praying that he opts out.

Wins aren't a good barometer of a starting pitcher. He gets 20 wins with a 6+ ERA and they'll be praying that he opts out.

Right now Keuchel and Kershaw lead their respective leagues in wins. Looks like a good barometer of how good those two are.
You play the game to win !
If Tanaka wins 20 games I'll bet the Yankees will be very happy.

Of course the hot start will inflate Judge stats for a few weeks, lets talk 100 games in and see where each is.......
Still think Judge can't play the field? Since the Mets are beginning to mail it in maybe you should actually watch Judge play right field. You might learn something, like you were completely clueless

th

Reactions: T2Kplus10
He covered an amazing amount of ground.
And it was an actually a diving catch, where his feet left the ground before catching the ball. Not one of those plays where the outfielder over exaggerates and dives to the ground AFTER the ball is in his glove.

Last edited:
Right now Keuchel and Kershaw lead their respective leagues in wins. Looks like a good barometer of how good those two are.

C'mon, I'm a Yankee diehard, but your argument is silly. Keuchel and Kershaw are great pitchers AND are in the top 20 in run support. Tanaka is #5. Of course a pitcher with great run support is going to win games. But give me ERA, WHIP, K/BB and about 10 other pitching stats before I even look at wins. Give me frequent rumored trade target Gerrit Cole, or former Yank Ivan Nova with their low ERA/WHIP and high SO to BB ratio with the 6 runs of support Tanaka gets, and their line looks an awful lot like Keuchel and Kershaw. Put Tanaka on the Pirates and he looks like Matt Harvey.

C'mon, I'm a Yankee diehard, but your argument is silly. Keuchel and Kershaw are great pitchers AND are in the top 20 in run support. Tanaka is #5. Of course a pitcher with great run support is going to win games. But give me ERA, WHIP, K/BB and about 10 other pitching stats before I even look at wins. Give me frequent rumored trade target Gerrit Cole, or former Yank Ivan Nova with their low ERA/WHIP and high SO to BB ratio with the 6 runs of support Tanaka gets, and their line looks an awful lot like Keuchel and Kershaw. Put Tanaka on the Pirates and he looks like Matt Harvey.
I think it is somewhere in between. Wins are sometimes overrated sometimes not. You pitch differently with a big lead. You will groove one 3-1 leading off an inning because you don't want to walk anyone and a solo homerun doesn't hurt you. Things like that. Having said that you can just use your eyes here. Tanaka is not pitching well regardless of score. So in this case wins are irrelevant.

Still think Judge can't play the field? Since the Mets are beginning to mail it in maybe you should actually watch Judge play right field. You might learn something, like you were completely clueless
Easy dont get too giddy, it was a nice catch period. Mets took 2 of 3 from trout
th

Reactions: Kbee3
To me the most amazing thing about yesterday's game is that the Yankees won a game where their #3, #4.and #5 hitters struck out 11 of the 12 at bats they had in the game.
At least Judge made up for his 4 Ks with that game-saving catch.

I can't imagine in any possible way that a guy with a plus 6 ERA can even come close to winning 20 games. Run support is not that consistent from start to start.

Like I said if Tanaka has a 6+ ERA with 20 wins they'll pray that he opts out. Wins are a team stat that pitchers get credit for.
Hansel Robles has 4 wins, wanna trade Betances for him?

I love Judge, but I think that's a little much. He hasn't even played a full season yet. Yanks jumped the gun on this one.
Its not for sale currently. They are inviting people and their friends who are wearing 99 jersey. Right now I have no problem. If the Yankees start charging big bucks for it I agree. But its a fun season so far. Have fun with it!

Like I said if Tanaka has a 6+ ERA with 20 wins they'll pray that he opts out. Wins are a team stat that pitchers get credit for.
Hansel Robles has 4 wins, wanna trade Betances for him?

Who exactly is talking about relief pitchers ?
Winning 20 games in MLB is very impressive for any starting pitcher. Sure, some guys get more run support than others. But, as a previous poster pointed out, one is likely to pitch very differently with a team that scores lots of runs than with a team that has trouble scoring much. Listen, I think ERA is a very important stat. But I'd like to see a guy win 20 games with a 6+ ERA. When has THAT ever happened ?
And if Tanaka wins 20, the Yankees will gladly welcome him back for 2018.

Michael Pineda with his 5th win tonight. Also on pace for a 20-win season.

. But I'd like to see a guy win 20 games with a 6+ ERA. When has THAT ever happened ?

Never, and never will. Bobo Newsom of the St. Louis Browns was 23-7 with a 5.08 ERA in '38. Modern era, Rick Helling, '98 Texas Rangers was 20-7 with a 4.41 ERA. There are less than 20 pitchers all-time with +4 ERAs and 20 wins.

So, Gleyber is playing 3B again in his AAA debut. Girardi was asked about him in his pre-game conference and said "things can happen quickly." He's obviously on the fast track. Don't be shocked to see him as early as July.

If Torres tears it up at Triple A, there's absolutely no reason he can't be called up. He certainly can't be more inconsistent than Headley and they wouldn't have to throw tons of young kids to pick up Donaldson which is something I saw rumored out there.

Who exactly is talking about relief pitchers ?
Winning 20 games in MLB is very impressive for any starting pitcher. Sure, some guys get more run support than others. But, as a previous poster pointed out, one is likely to pitch very differently with a team that scores lots of runs than with a team that has trouble scoring much. Listen, I think ERA is a very important stat. But I'd like to see a guy win 20 games with a 6+ ERA. When has THAT ever happened ?
And if Tanaka wins 20, the Yankees will gladly welcome him back for 2018.

My point is that wins are not a great stat to evaluate pitchers. Obviously you think they're massively important. Tanaka with a 6 ERA is awful, I don't care how many wins he gets. I used Robles as a ridiculous example that wins aren't important. It seems to have gone over your head.

No need for that, but just more proof that the Yanks are far more popular and have many more fans than the Mets
Well it's the rejuvenated world renowned New York Yankees vs the struggling stepchild New York Mets. Of course there's more Yankee fans no matter what... DUHHHHH!!!! All those reports, articles, etc saying that the Mets was taking over NY was always assinine. I have my reasons that I will always bleed orange and Blue. But the Yankees are always the Yankees.

Nice win tonight.
If Severino and Pineda continue to provide quality starts this team is gonna be tough to beat.
Now if the Yankees only had a better option at third base. The guy is brutal.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Yankees game today cancelled. Day game, travel day.
A's in for the weekend and Orioles series starts Memorial Day.
Saturday, Sunday & Monday all day games! [cheers]

Nice win tonight.
If Severino and Pineda continue to provide quality starts this team is gonna be tough to beat.
Now if the Yankees only had a better option at third base. The guy is brutal.

And suddenly nobody can hit on this team.
CC to the rescue.

Was at the game today. Really nice crowd. The bats broke out which was nice. Really big stretch of games coming up all in the division.

Big win tonight. The bats came alive....finally.
And Severino was clutch.
But what ever hapened to Manny Machado's bat ?
Machado is absolutely killing my fantasy team this year. He still has a lot of home runs but his batting average is horrible.

And suddenly nobody can hit on this team.
CC to the rescue.

My kind of game tonight. Good pitching from CC, Sanchez with 2 homers, Hicks with 6 RBIs.
BTW, who would have thought that Tanaka would be the weak link in the rotation ?

As I said before, the Tanaka situation is VERY interesting to me. If he continues to tank the season, it's very possible he will not opt out of the rest of a guaranteed contract. If he has no structural issue with his elbow, it will be a huge gamble to give up I believe 3-4 more years after a crap season.

Hopefully, he gets it together though because if he does, it could be a fun summer in the Bronx.

Oh and the Yankees are virtually guaranteed to do some buying at the deadline as they are losing a bunch of kids to the Rule 5 draft if they don't. I would expect them to put some packages together to either get another starter or at the very least some bullpen depth. If Torres isn't ready, I could see them go after a veteran 3B too.

ADVERTISEMENT