ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2019 NY Yankees Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Encarnacion was brought in for two reasons as I see it: 1. Keep a slugger away from competition, 2. Serve as insurance against a Judge or Stanton recurring injury. Stanton is down again already so this seem to have paid off to me. Also getting him has minimal impact on them still going to get a pitcher.
Trading for a guy you don't need just to keep him away from a competitor is and always has been stupid business move. And who else wanted him?

Trading for a guy you don't need just to keep him away from a competitor is and always has been stupid business move. And who else wanted him?
Second reason is more relevant. Stanton is already out again until August. Judge and Stanton have been fragile.

Hearing the Yankee announcers going on about how Ottavino deserved to make the All Star team, I just knew he was gonna suck tonight.

As per mlbtraderumors.com, Astros and Rays.
Rays were never going after him. As much as Seattle was going to cover most of that contract, Tampa will not add salary for a non pitcher. Astros maybe but who cares. They aren't a division rival

Not only is John Sterling going to miss his first broadcast in 30 years due to a health issue but it was announced Michael Kay is on the 10 day DL while having throat surgery.

No one in the Yankee Org is safe this year.

Encarnacion was brought in for two reasons as I see it: 1. Keep a slugger away from competition, 2. Serve as insurance against a Judge or Stanton recurring injury. Stanton is down again already so this seem to have paid off to me. Also getting him has minimal impact on them still going to get a pitcher.
Another great game tonight by Urshela. Yet, no matter how bad Encarnacion keeps playing, Urshela will only sniff the field, once every 3 games. That is why Encarnacion is a very costly acquisition--the team is much worse with him in the lineup vs. Urshela. HR or nothing baseball won't win a World Series.

Another great game tonight by Urshela. Yet, no matter how bad Encarnacion keeps playing, Urshela will only sniff the field, once every 3 games. That is why Encarnacion is a very costly acquisition--the team is much worse with him in the lineup vs. Urshela. HR or nothing baseball won't win a World Series.

Encarnacion seems to me to swing and miss at pitches outside and off the plate. Conversely, belt high or so pitches near the middle he lets go. I'm not a fan of his, and fear his addition may be the precursor to a trade featuring Voit, Frazier and prospects for a starter. Even if Voit stays along with the other infielders, Urshela will play almost everyday and they'll give a guy a day off, and rotate them into the DH spot.

Encarnacion seems to me to swing and miss at pitches outside and off the plate. Conversely, belt high or so pitches near the middle he lets go. I'm not a fan of his, and fear his addition may be the precursor to a trade featuring Voit, Frazier and prospects for a starter. Even if Voit stays along with the other infielders, Urshela will play almost everyday and they'll give a guy a day off, and rotate them into the DH spot.
Think of Encarnacion as Cecil Fielder from 1996, if you are that old. He’s a power hitting PH in the playoffs, nothing more. I would be really surprised if Voit goes for a starting pitcher.

See my post above.

Better than sterling at least youll know what’s going on
How true, I get in my car not knowing the score, and all I hear is You know, Susan, oh yeah of course John, and you have to wait what seems to be a year to get the score. And then there's That ball is far, that ball is high, going going, oh Susan it was
caught by the second baseman.

How true, I get in my car not knowing the score, and all I hear is You know, Susan, oh yeah of course John, and you have to wait what seems to be a year to get the score. And then there's That ball is far, that ball is high, going going, oh Susan it was
Thanks. It's been so long since I've listened to the Yankees on the radio that I forgot what Sterling sounded like.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
57-29
When this team gets back Severino, Montgomery, Betances, Tulowitzki, Bird, Andujar, Voit, and Stanton it's gonna really be something.

I'm an oldtimer going back to the days of Red Barber and Mel Allen. Red used to use one of those three minute 'hourglass' timers. Everytime the sand ran down he would interject the score into his broadcast.

57-29
When this team gets back Severino, Montgomery, Betances, Tulowitzki, Bird, Andujar, Voit, and Stanton it's gonna really be something.
You forgot Ellsbury.
Andujar won't be back. Tulwotzki is home contemplating retirement. Severino and Montgomery aren't even throwing currently. If Bird comes back it won't be in NY.

Who is this Ellsbury you speak of ?:rolleyes:
I was speaking more long-term in regards to these guys returning. More as a way of putting into context how impressive the current group has been with so many absentees.
BTW, I'll take returns from Stanton, Voit, and Betances and maybe September help from Montgomery and/or Severino. And maybe a late boost from Deivi Garcia.
I know it's hard to fathom, but this team could actually be better in September.

Last edited:
Who is this Ellsbury you speak of ?:rolleyes:
I was speaking more long-term in regards to these guys returning. More as a way of putting into context how impressive the current group has been with so many absentees.
BTW, I'll take returns from Stanton, Voit, and Betances and maybe September help from Montgomery and/orSeverino. And maybe a late boost from Deivi Garcia.
I know it's hard to fathom, but this team could actually be better in September.
They are sure fun to watch.

Reactions: Kbee3
I keep saying 120 wins, it will happen

You mean with 11 postseason wins, right? ;-)

If they keep this up, 105-110 wins in the regular season is certainly possible.
57-29 = .663 winning %
With 76 games left:
- Win 60% = 46 wins = 103 wins
- Win 66% = 50 wins = 107 wins
- Win 70% = 53 wins = 110 wins

It's hard to go much past winning 70%. They have gone 51-20 in their last 71 games (since Apr. 16th... if I did the math right). That's a .718 winning percentage, which would be historic if done over the course of 162 games (the 1998 Yankees won 70%).

I just hope they win the last game of the season...and that Charlie Morton isn't going against them in that game.
Not a Yankee fan but saw the called 3rd strike on Judge. That might have been a game changing call. Who knows what happens with bases loaded and Gregorias up with 1 out with Sanchez to follow.

Not a Yankee fan but saw the called 3rd strike on Judge. That might have been a game changing call. Who knows what happens with bases loaded and Gregorias up with 1 out with Sanchez to follow.
Frankly, I'm sick of home plate umpires calling balls and strikes. If the count is three-and-one, the plate suddenly gets bigger. If the pitcher is a big name, he gets the close calls. And if you're Aaron Judge, the strike zone extends down to you ankles.
And these are professional umpires....at the top of their profession.
MLB needs to step into the 21st century and come up with a better way to call balls and strikes.

Frankly, I'm sick of home plate umpires calling balls and strikes. If the count is three-and-one, the plate suddenly gets bigger. If the pitcher is a big name, he gets the close calls. And if you're Aaron Judge, the strike zone extends down to you ankles.
MLB needs to step into the 21st century and come up with a better way to call balls and strikes.
I agree with this. They should still make calls for plays though.

If MLB can figure out how far a juiced ball can go on a home run or the launch angle or the percentage of Mike Trout making a running and diving catch or how many spins is there in a Seth Lugo curveball, they can figure out how to automatically adjust the strikezones between Jose Altuve and Aaron Judge. Time to get rid of Angel Hernandez, CB Brucknor, Joe West, and all the other worthless umps.

Sorry, Rhuarc jinx still in effect. Went to the game today. I'll stay away for awhile so we can win the Series.

Reactions: RULoyal
If MLB can figure out how far a juiced ball can go on a home run or the launch angle or the percentage of Mike Trout making a running and diving catch or how many spins is there in a Seth Lugo curveball, they can figure out how to automatically adjust the strikezones between Jose Altuve and Aaron Judge. Time to get rid of Angel Hernandez, CB Brucknor, Joe West, and all the other worthless umps.
I agree.
The guy calling balls and strikes at today's Yankees game was a joke.

How about the first base umpire having to successive calls over-ruled by replay? I hate it when a player with the tying and winning runs on base strikes out looking to end the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT