ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2019 NY Yankees Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand analytics, but Boone overused them this game I think. Down to slim pickins in the bullpen. He could’ve gotten an extra inning from Green and Britton and still have Chapman for the 10th.

That was a makeup call on Sanchez.The umpire knew that he blew the previous foul call.Plus,the ball that struck the girder.
Agree, as an Astros fan I was fuming on the phantom foul tip. Definitely a make up call on the next pitch. Amazing series so far. 5 hours of absolute stress tonight.

Pressure is still squarely on the Astros in game 3. Have to win Cole’s start at Yankee Stadium or we will be in trouble.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
The bats always go to sleep against good pitching. So glad that we kept buying more of them instead of an ace that keep the lights out for 7 innings. Yanks gonna lose this one in 6
Wow, I’m not there yet even as a Stros fan. If we pull off game 3 with Cole in convincing fashion, maybe Astros in 6 enters the conversation.

Astros bats have been asleep the entire playoffs too, including against the bullpen heavy Rays.

Wow, I’m not there yet even as a Stros fan. If we pull off game 3 with Cole in convincing fashion, maybe Astros in 6 enters the conversation.

Astros bats have been asleep the entire playoffs too, including against the bullpen heavy Rays.
Good pitching has been known to do that

The goal going in was to get a split in Houston. That was accomplished. Beating Verlander at home was always going to be a tough ask, but they have to be at least encouraged that they were able to get him out of the game in the 7th. Now the goal is to win game 3 at home with Sevy on the mound.

I understand analytics, but Boone overused them this game I think. Down to slim pickins in the bullpen. He could’ve gotten an extra inning from Green and Britton and still have Chapman for the 10th.
He should have also let Tanaka pitch another inning in Game 1.

The Astros are very good and will start hitting the Yankees bullpen after they’ve seen these guys a few times.

The goal going in was to get a split in Houston. That was accomplished. Beating Verlander at home was always going to be a tough ask, but they have to be at least encouraged that they were able to get him out of the game in the 7th. Now the goal is to win game 3 at home with Sevy on the mound.
+1
Mission accomplished.

Using 9 pitchers was stupid.Your bound to roll snake eyes with one or more of them.Green should have gone longer, and maybe the Paxton quick hook was also a mistake. Houston has seen everyone in the pen now, and that can only help them moving forward.

The goal is to win every game possible. There is no moral victory in last night's loss. They had man opportunities to get it done. Didn't happen. Opportunity lost. Up 2-0 and heading home is a million miles away from 1-1

Using 9 pitchers was stupid.Your bound to roll snake eyes with one or more of them.Green should have gone longer, and maybe the Paxton quick hook was also a mistake. Houston has seen everyone in the pen now, and that can only help them moving forward.
I didn’t mind giving Paxton the quick hook, he was getting hit pretty hard and it looked like it was going to spiral out of control. Taking Green out and brining Ottavino in for the second time in the first two games was what I had a major issue with.

With game 3 starting at 4pm on a Tuesday I don’t expect much juice early in the game. Still blows my mind what MLB is doing with the Yankees game times and channels in this playoff. It is like they want less people to be interested in baseball.

Last edited:
Maybe it wasn't Boone making the decision but the guys in the booth with the laptops. Unless he tells you he's gassed, I don't see taking out a pitcher who has thrown 21 of 26 pitches for strikes over two innings and has dominated the hitters he's faced. Encarnacion and Sanchez with 6 strikeouts in 9 at bats helping to lower the ac bill at Minute Maid Park.

Reactions: coldsprings
That was a makeup call on Sanchez.The umpire knew that he blew the previous foul call.Plus,the ball that struck the girder.
True, but let's talk about instead the real issue--Sanchez's flailing away all night on pitches out of the strike zone. Does Romine not give them a better chance to win?

Arguably, the Yankees would have won in the 10th if Wade was on the roster. He would have pinch run for Encarnación, stole second and scored on Gardner's single.

Instead, CC was on the roster to pitch to one batter and laugh coming out of the game.

Reactions: MitchLL
Taking Greene out for absolutely no reason after a perfect line score 2.1 inning 0 hits O runs and 0 base on balls was astronomically stupid
Agreed. Green is the only guy in the pen who you could rely upon to have given you more length. Not getting another inning out of him moved everyone else up an inning.

I agree that Green should have been left in until the end of the inning.

I went to bed in the 6th inning. I just can't handle these late games. I know ratings rule the world, but can't we just start the game at 7 to account for the 4+hours it's gonna go?

The goal is to win every game possible. There is no moral victory in last night's loss. They had man opportunities to get it done. Didn't happen. Opportunity lost. Up 2-0 and heading home is a million miles away from 1-1
Of course they had man opportunities, there are no women on the team. Or is that your point?:)

Reactions: tomatocan
Lots of good points, guys. You kind of knew once Chapman was done... it was only a matter of time before the remaining relievers would lose the game.

CC on the roster is an absolute joke. No way in hell that was a good move.

In the end... Yanks will face Cole/Verlander four times. Only need to win one of those four games, imo.

The decision to remove Green was because Boone knows he's only getting MAYBE 5 out of Severino on Tuesday. Green pitches 2 innings if it's close. Seve-5/Green&Kahnle-2/Britton-1/Chapman-1.

Lots of good points, guys. You kind of knew once Chapman was done... it was only a matter of time before the remaining relievers would lose the game.

CC on the roster is an absolute joke. No way in hell that was a good move.

In the end... Yanks will face Cole/Verlander four times. Only need to win one of those four games, imo.

The decision to remove Green was because Boone knows he's only getting MAYBE 5 out of Severino on Tuesday. Green pitches 2 innings if it's close. Seve-5/Green&Kahnle-2/Britton-1/Chapman-1.
So true.

The Yankees went with an extra pitcher on their playoff roster so they should be able to handle 3 days in a row with the bullpen. You can make an argument that CC doesn't belong, but is there any guarantee that his replacement is any better? At this point, I'm more worried about if Stanton's vagina will improve enough to actually play the rest of this series.

The Yankees went with an extra pitcher on their playoff roster so they should be able to handle 3 days in a row with the bullpen. You can make an argument that CC doesn't belong, but is there any guarantee that his replacement is any better? At this point, I'm more worried about if Stanton's vagina will improve enough to actually play the rest of this series.
I'm not sure I see what Stanton brings to the table right now that Maybin doesn't.

Arguably, the Yankees would have won in the 10th if Wade was on the roster. He would have pinch run for Encarnación, stole second and scored on Gardner's single.

Instead, CC was on the roster to pitch to one batter and laugh coming out of the game.
You can't say Gardner still would have singled if Wade was available to run and steal 2nd. Sequences of pitches would have changed so Gardner result could have been anywhere from strikeout to home run, not automatically he still would have singled.

Maybe it wasn't Boone making the decision but the guys in the booth with the laptops. Unless he tells you he's gassed, I don't see taking out a pitcher who has thrown 21 of 26 pitches for strikes over two innings and has dominated the hitters he's faced. Encarnacion and Sanchez with 6 strikeouts in 9 at bats helping to lower the ac bill at Minute Maid Park.

Maybe they are saving Green for game 4 to be the opener. Or maybe it was because Springer had the best BA in baseball against 4 seem fastball (Greene's #1 pitch). Either way it was only a bad decision because Springer hit a HR.

Heres why yanks will lose and i hope im wrong.

Tanaka taken out after 68 pitches and 6 scoreless. Could have gone longer and perhaps saved the pen.

Instead an arm that was used early, gave the astros a look and ended up allowing the tying run in game 2. Now the pen has been used, who knows how game 3 goes, and now yanks announce game 4 will be a bull pen game?!

If this goes long we're gonna be effed in a long series and theres no way this only goes 5 games.

Reactions: RU_Planning
Heres why yanks will lose and i hope im wrong.

Tanaka taken out after 68 pitches and 6 scoreless. Could have gone longer and perhaps saved the pen.

Instead an arm that was used early, gave the astros a look and ended up allowing the tying run in game 2. Now the pen has been used, who knows how game 3 goes, and now yanks announce game 4 will be a bull pen game?!

If this goes long we're gonna be effed in a long series and theres no way this only goes 5 games.
I don't think they'll be playing any baseball in the Bronx on Wednesday. Perhaps Tanaka starts game four on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT