ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I am not one to dwell on bad trades of the past, here's a Jarred Kelenic anecdote which I found of interest.

The owner of the Seattle Mariners has publicly stated that they are trying to lock Kelenic up long term - before he has even played a major league game! They have offered him a six year contract (terms undisclosed) with three club option years. Kelenic turned it down, as he should. No young player with any degree of self-confidence should ever agree to three club option years. Those option years would come into play right when he would be ready to hit free agency.

If I'm Kelenic's agent, I say, "You wanna guarantee my client nine years? Fine, then we'll talk. We may even consider a guaranteed eight, with one club option year. But six and three? No chance."

Reactions: cicero grimes
Brad Brach signed a minor league deal with the Royals.

Cespedes having a showcase next week.

Bulllen is weak. Would have liked to have seen a bullpen upgrade especially with Lugo going down. We have seen this movie many times and the ending is rarely good. After May and Diaz, who holds the fort in 6th and 7th innings?
I’m not too confident with Castro, Barnes, Betances, Familia and Loup etc

Bulllen is weak. Would have liked to have seen a bullpen upgrade especially with Lugo going down. We have seen this movie many times and the ending is rarely good. After May and Diaz, who holds the fort in 6th and 7th innings?
I’m not too confident with Castro, Barnes, Betances, Familia and Loup etc
I am always- "don't really care" about BP before the season starts. Have seen too many times where you think you are loaded and they all suck or you think you are weak and a couple of guys have their best years. Diaz, May and I sort of put Loup in there as pretty solid. Losing Lugo to start really sucks but let's look at him as a mid season pickup. Betances- willing to give him last year to shake off his injury and rust. Even if he is just 80% of his Yankee years. The rest of them do scare me as they have no control at all.

As for Gsell- he is one of the great mysteries in baseball how he just keeps going and going and he has sucked for us for a long time.

Ces needs to call it a day. In my opinion he could be older than the 35 is telling folks. Hard to tell with defectors. Imho he looked a lot more like a 40+plus year old last year than a guy in his mid 30's.

F Cespedes. Once he got the big contract, his motivation was over

deGrom hit 99 on the gun today, not even March yet.
Always makes me think of watching him throwing 99-100 and then you see a 92 mph changeup that moves across and down. His changeup with great movement is considered a pretty decent MLB fastball. lol

Conforto reminds me a lot of our last Captain- extend him and put the C on his jersey.

Extend Conforto, deGrom, Lindor, Thor now.
I doubt the Mets extend Thor unless he is willing to accept a below market deal, which I doubt. I think it's safe to say he goes to free agency.

DeGrom has another year of team control left after this one. While he is certainly a priority, he's not the immediate priority.

I would be shocked if they didn't try to extend both Lindor and Conforto this preseason. But it takes two to tango. I think it's very likely that they'll reach agreement with Lindor. Conforto I am much less sure about. To keep him out of free agency, Cohen will have to overpay. The fact that he can doesn't necessarily mean he will.

I am starting to hate the player tactic of "I won't negotiate during the season, because I want all my focus to be on winning." What BS. Like these guys eat and sleep baseball 24 hours a day. Both Lindor and Conforto seem to be taking that approach. In effect they are giving the Mets an ultimatum that they must get the deal done within four weeks, or it's free agency. I do not know Steve Cohen, but I'm guessing he does not take kindly to ultimatums.

I doubt the Mets extend Thor unless he is willing to accept a below market deal, which I doubt. I think it's safe to say he goes to free agency.

DeGrom has another year of team control left after this one. While he is certainly a priority, he's not the immediate priority.

I would be shocked if they didn't try to extend both Lindor and Conforto this preseason. But it takes two to tango. I think it's very likely that they'll reach agreement with Lindor. Conforto I am much less sure about. To keep him out of free agency, Cohen will have to overpay. The fact that he can doesn't necessarily mean he will.

I am starting to hate the player tactic of "I won't negotiate during the season, because I want all my focus to be on winning." What BS. Like these guys eat and sleep baseball 24 hours a day. Both Lindor and Conforto seem to be taking that approach. In effect they are giving the Mets an ultimatum that they must get the deal done within four weeks, or it's free agency. I do not know Steve Cohen, but I'm guessing he does not take kindly to ultimatums.

Spot on, good doc

Jarrad Kelenic wants trade from Mariners. Well not exactly, well actually not at all. But he's not pleased with what has become a common tactic by teams.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Jarrad Kelenic wants trade from Mariners. Well not exactly, well actually not at all. But he's not pleased with what has become a common tactic by teams.

I propose Robbie Cano and Diaz for him. We pick up Cano $$$. Who would not make that deal. 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT