ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would anyone trade deGrom after he just missed half the season. You are trading him at his lowest point. If you want to rebuild, have him have another start to the year like he did this year and move him then.
Of course Lindor is here to stay. And if you look at how he has been over the past month- it has been pretty damn good. Would love to see them sign Baez, I want him and Lindor up the middle for the next 5 years.
Give Nimmo an extension QO offer to Conforto but don't sweat it if he leaves, at least we get a pick. If he stays- hopefully he plays more like the last month. Maybe his injuries did effect him this year. But make him earn the big pay.
QO to Noah and again, like Conforto- if he leaves, you get a pick. If he stays, he is playing for a big pay check.
Wouldn't mind signing Stro- and need to keep Loup and Lugo
Alonso a no brainer but just about everyone else- move them. I think we could do a nice rebuild and still have a playoff run if it is done right.

And I do not want to be Oak of the east. They do it because they have to. We have Cohen and NYC- let's be the freaking Dodgers of the damn east
Lots of those names you mentioned above should be dumped. No playoffs for 5 years means most of them are not that good. Time to move on.

FYI - I have a long list of Yanks that need to go as well.

Why would anyone trade deGrom after he just missed half the season. You are trading him at his lowest point. If you want to rebuild, have him have another start to the year like he did this year and move him then.
Of course Lindor is here to stay. And if you look at how he has been over the past month- it has been pretty damn good. Would love to see them sign Baez, I want him and Lindor up the middle for the next 5 years.
Give Nimmo an extension QO offer to Conforto but don't sweat it if he leaves, at least we get a pick. If he stays- hopefully he plays more like the last month. Maybe his injuries did effect him this year. But make him earn the big pay.
QO to Noah and again, like Conforto- if he leaves, you get a pick. If he stays, he is playing for a big pay check.
Alonso a no brainer but just about everyone else- move them. I think we could do a nice rebuild and still have a playoff run if it is done right.

And I do not want to be Oak of the east. They do it because they have to. We have Cohen and NYC- let's be the freaking Dodgers of the damn east
Am ambivalent about extending Nimmo. Would prefer to invest that money in a true CF. But if money is no object, then yes.

Given deGrom's health issues, Alonso is the primary tradable asset. If you want to keep him and then clean house, you won't bring back all that much.

If Thor signs a QO, I don't see the Mets going hard after Stro.

Lugo still has one more year of arbitration / team control.

Am ambivalent about extending Nimmo. Would prefer to invest that money in a true CF. But if money is no object, then yes.

Given deGrom's health issues, Alonso is the primary tradable asset. If you want to keep him and then clean house, you won't bring back all that much.

If Thor signs a QO, I don't see the Mets going hard after Stro.

Lugo still has one more year of arbitration / team control.
Agree with all. As for Nimmo- I look at as a guy I wouldn’t mind signing if he was on another team…there really aren’t a lot of available options much better. I still would love S Marte in my OF
And with Marte- he is the type of FA I go after if I’m the Mets. He is just money, you would owe no picks for him.

Reactions: Doctor Worm

Agree with everything you said. Just wouldn’t mind being the Tampa Bay of the North with a bigger budget.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
SANDY DOES NOT MAKE THIS DECISION. UNCLE STEVE DOES. (And yes, I am shouting.)

IIRC, in his interview Bloom advised the Wilpons that the Mets needed a rebuild, and of course they did not want to hear that. Water under the bridge now of course.
LETS SEE IF UNCLE STEVE CAN GET THEO OR SOMEONE WHOS NOT IN SANDY’S MANAGEMENT TREE TO TAKE A JOB WITH SANDY STILL THERE.

Reactions: cicero grimes
LETS SEE IF UNCLE STEVE CAN GET THEO OR SOMEONE WHOS NOT IN SANDY’S MANAGEMENT TREE TO TAKE A JOB WITH SANDY STILL THERE.
I would prefer a fresh start with thorough housecleaning of the current front office and medical staff and start over with people with no ties to the organization.

Our new owner encountered the same old problems. He needs to get a fresh perspective from people who are not tied to anyone currently here.

Theo will be a tough get, regardless of whether Sandy is here.

And if Cohen prefers Beane, as he reportedly does, then the point is moot.

Theo will be a tough get, regardless of whether Sandy is here.

And if Cohen prefers Beane, as he reportedly does, then the point is moot.
True and good point. But they need to totally break away from the past. Wilpon, Sandy, etc included.

Lots of those names you mentioned above should be dumped. No playoffs for 5 years means most of them are not that good. Time to move on.

There's that 5 year time frame again, 😎

Hate to also point out that 4-5 years ago, not many of the current players were starters. Conforto is the only regular player, deGrom, Noah, Lugo, Familia on the staff. And most of these guys did help us get to the WS 6 years ago.
i do agree that major changes need to be made but it can’t be reactionary either. Let’s say we just dump Conforto, McNeil, Nimmo etc, what is out there that is better or younger?
And another reality hit if you were handed control right now. You have one of the highest paid players in baseball tied up fir 10 years. You have a $30 million pitcher. You aren’t trading either one of them. So, you need to figure out how to build a team to win now while also solidifying your farm system.
Would love your plan to do that.

Hate to also point out that 4-5 years ago, not many of the current players were starters. Conforto is the only regular player, deGrom, Noah, Lugo, Familia on the staff. And most of these guys did help us get to the WS 6 years ago.
i do agree that major changes need to be made but it can’t be reactionary either. Let’s say we just dump Conforto, McNeil, Nimmo etc, what is out there that is better or younger?
And another reality hit if you were handed control right now. You have one of the highest paid players in baseball tied up fir 10 years. You have a $30 million pitcher. You aren’t trading either one of them. So, you need to figure out how to build a team to win now while also solidifying your farm system.
Would love your plan to do that.
FWIW, the Phillies have similar problems. They have a lot of money tied up in Harper, Realmuto and Wheeler plus a terrible farm system.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Clean house in front office. Clean house with Manager and Coaching Staff except Hefner. Clean house with Meidcal staff and trainers. Clean house with team. Enough is Enough!

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Looks like Mets in a 3 way tie for 11th worst record. Just outside the top ten draft picks.

1. Baltimore Orioles (52-110)
  2. Arizona Diamondbacks (52-110)
  3. Texas Rangers (60-102)
  4. Pittsburgh Pirates (61-101)
  5. Washington Nationals (65-97)
  6. Miami Marlins (67-95)
  7. Chicago Cubs (71-91)
  8. Minnesota Twins (73-89)
  9. Kansas City Royals (74-88)
  10. Colorado Rockies (74-87)
  11. New York Mets (compensation for failing to sign Kumar Rocker)
  12. Detroit Tigers (77-85)
  13. New York Mets (77-85)
  14. Los Angeles Angels (77-85)
  15. San Diego Padres (79-83)
  16. Cleveland Indians (80-82)
  17. Philadelphia Phillies (82-80)
  18. Cincinnati Reds (83-79)
  19. Oakland Athletics (86-76)
  20. Atlanta Braves (88-73)
  21. Seattle Mariners (90-72)
  22. St. Louis Cardinals (90-72)
  23. Toronto Blue Jays (91-71)
  24. Boston Red Sox (92-70)
  25. New York Yankees (92-70)
  26. Chicago White Sox (93-69)
  27. Milwaukee Brewers (95-67)
  28. Houston Astros (95-67)
  29. Tampa Bay Rays (100-62)
  30. Los Angeles Dodgers (106-56)
  31. San Francisco Giants (107-55)

This one has the Mets 11 and 14

Here is the full order of the first round:

1. Baltimore Orioles
  2. Arizona Diamondbacks
  3. Texas Rangers
  4. Pittsburgh Pirates
  5. Washington Nationals
  6. Miami Marlins
  7. Chicago Cubs
  8. Minnesota Twins
  9. Kansa City Royals
  10. Colorado Rockies
  11. New York Mets (Rocker pick)
  12. Detroit Tigers
  13. Los Angeles Angels
  14. New York Mets
  15. San Diego Padres
  16. Cleveland Guardians
  17. Philadelphia Phillies
  18. Cincinnati Reds
  19. Oakland Athletics
  20. Atlanta Braves
  21. St. Louis Cardinals
  22. Seattle Mariners
  23. Toronto Blue Jays
  24. Boston Red Sox
  25. New York Yankees
  26. Chicago White Sox
  27. Milwaukee Brewers
  28. Houston Astros
  29. Tampa Bay Rays
  30. Los Angeles Dodgers
  31. San Francisco Giants

1. Baltimore Orioles
  2. Arizona Diamondbacks
  3. Texas Rangers
  4. Pittsburgh Pirates
  5. Washington Nationals
  6. Miami Marlins
  7. Chicago Cubs
  8. Minnesota Twins
  9. Kansa City Royals
  10. Colorado Rockies
  12. Detroit Tigers
  13. Los Angeles Angels
  14. New York Mets
  15. San Diego Padres
  16. Cleveland Guardians
  18. Cincinnati Reds
  19. Oakland Athletics
  20. Atlanta Braves
  21. St. Louis Cardinals
  22. Seattle Mariners
  23. Toronto Blue Jays
  24. Boston Red Sox
  25. New York Yankees
  26. Chicago White Sox
  27. Milwaukee Brewers
  28. Houston Astros
  29. Tampa Bay Rays
  30. Los Angeles Dodgers
  31. San Francisco Giants
What happens in free agency this year can affect the order, right? At least that's what this source says. https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...-years-after-diamondbacks-notch-walk-off-win/

1. Baltimore Orioles
  2. Arizona Diamondbacks
  3. Texas Rangers
  4. Pittsburgh Pirates
  5. Washington Nationals
  6. Miami Marlins
  7. Chicago Cubs
  8. Minnesota Twins
  9. Kansa City Royals
  10. Colorado Rockies
  12. Detroit Tigers
  13. Los Angeles Angels
  14. New York Mets
  15. San Diego Padres
  16. Cleveland Guardians
  18. Cincinnati Reds
  19. Oakland Athletics
  20. Atlanta Braves
  21. St. Louis Cardinals
  22. Seattle Mariners
  23. Toronto Blue Jays
  24. Boston Red Sox
  25. New York Yankees
  26. Chicago White Sox
  27. Milwaukee Brewers
  28. Houston Astros
  29. Tampa Bay Rays
  30. Los Angeles Dodgers
  31. San Francisco Giants
The current tiebreaker is a lookback to the prior year record. Detroit was very bad in 2020 so the "win" the first tiebreaker. However, Mets and Angels had identical records in 2020. So we look back to 2019 where the Angels "win" the second tiebreaker. So Mets pick 14th. UNLESS the rules change in the new CBA. (Assuming there is one, but if there isn't, we've got bigger problems.)

Yes, anyone outside the top 10 picks would surrender their second pick I believe. So if the Mets sign a top free agent they would forfeit their pick at 14. I believe that is the rule.
How would that work in the Met’s case. 14 is actually first 2022 pick, 11 is Comp for last year.
shouldn’t that pick be outside the parameters?
it should seem so but since it is the Met’s you know it isn’t the case.

How would that work in the Met’s case. 14 is actually first 2022 pick, 11 is Comp for last year.
shouldn’t that pick be outside the parameters?
it should seem so but since it is the Met’s you know it isn’t the case.
The rule is you lose your second pick, which in this case would be #14.

The exception to the rule is that the compensatory pick is protected. If the compensatory pick at #11 were the Mets second pick, it would have been protected. But it isn't, so it isn't.

That is why the Tankathon was vital this week. Mets needed to lose enough so that they would be picking #10 and #11, so that they could forfeit neither pick. But alas, the Marlins proved to be too formidable a foe to overcome. From a Tankathon standpoint that is.

So as a result, I don't see the Mets signing any qualifying free agents. Fortunately there are other attractive FA's out there, including their own.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
The rule is you lose your second pick, which in this case would be #14.

The exception to the rule is that the compensatory pick is protected. If the compensatory pick at #11 were the Mets second pick, it would have been protected. But it isn't, so it isn't.

That is why the Tankathon was vital this week. Mets needed to lose enough so that they would be picking #10 and #11, so that they could forfeit neither pick. But alas, the Marlins proved to be too formidable a foe to overcome. From a Tankathon standpoint that is.

So as a result, I don't see the Mets signing any qualifying free agents. Fortunately there are other attractive FA's out there, including their own.
One good thing…so many of the FA targets I would go after were traded this year such as K Bryant, Marte and our own Baez

Good riddance. Now 3 more major moves: Revamp Front Office / Fire the Trainers and get rid of the perennial loser dead meat on this team: McNeil/ Conforto. / Smith / Gullirme / Nido / etc.
Of course, any serious plan to fix the team and system would stop after, "Revamp Front Office." Maybe you could add, "Let Them Do What I Hired Them For--Use Their Expertise to Fix Things."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT