ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread

This is a crucial weekend in San Diego.The Padres have a very difficult schedule the rest of the way.The wild card may be the only hope.Of course,the Reds are there as well.

After putting Arizona over 40 wins by getting swept, I think our Phillies are done sadly. This past week it looked like they got too happy over the winning streak, and sadly gave it mostly back.

Reactions: RUScrew85
This is a crucial weekend in San Diego.The Padres have a very difficult schedule the rest of the way.The wild card may be the only hope.Of course,the Reds are there as well.

Yeah take the Pads and lay the points.

After putting Arizona over 40 wins by getting swept, I think our Phillies are done sadly. This past week it looked like they got too happy over the winning streak, and sadly gave it mostly back.
What other team do we know that does that after any success? Hint: Begins with R and ends with U. (See MSU-NH ‘04, UL-Cincy ‘06, but that game gave us that sweet Devraun Thompson play at the goal line.)

Reactions: TM94goRU
What other team do we know that does that after any success? Hint: Begins with R and ends with U. (See MSU-NH ‘04, UL-Cincy ‘06, but that game gave us that sweet Devraun Thompson play at the goal line.)
Ends with U?

So no Bohm again even at 1B, and I can't stand listening to Ruben Amaro. He's friggin terrible.

I'm really starting to dislike Girardi.

Brutal, brutal loss.

P.S. Can we just get a different backup C? Knapp has been the guy for 3+ years now and he’s awful. Can’t hit a lick, can’t throw base stealers out, can’t make key blocks. We can’t put anyone else out there? I don’t even care if they’re better, at this point I just want different.

There is no reason for Nola to be in there that late. Bring in Kennedy and seal it. That’s why he was brought to philly.

There is no reason for Nola to be in there that late. Bring in Kennedy and seal it. That’s why he was brought to philly.

Pretty sure he had a one hitter at that point. You can't take him out with a 1 hitter and 100 pitches in the 9th. That was just bad luck.

Worse is playing Didi who isn't hitting his weight - play Torreyes there if you have to play him, Knapp had one good year (last year?). The Torreyes hot streak is over play Bohm. Let Torreyes play in the 8th and 9th if you don't like Bohm's glove. And the same with Brad Miller. The hot streak is over he's back to being a AAAAA player.

This team and manager are done for the year. Nice to see Nola step up for 8 2/3.

And as much as I like Cutch he's a 4th OF now. I'd rather they played Haseley - which brings me to my next question, WTF happened to Haseley? He never proved he couldn't play to me.

Pretty sure he had a one hitter at that point. You can't take him out with a 1 hitter and 100 pitches in the 9th. That was just bad luck.

Worse is playing Didi who isn't hitting his weight - play Torreyes there if you have to play him, Knapp had one good year (last year?). The Torreyes hot streak is over play Bohm. Let Torreyes play in the 8th and 9th if you don't like Bohm's glove. And the same with Brad Miller. The hot streak is over he's back to being a AAAAA player.

This team and manager are done for the year. Nice to see Nola step up for 8 2/3.

And as much as I like Cutch he's a 4th OF now. I'd rather they played Haseley - which brings me to my next question, WTF happened to Haseley? He never proved he couldn't play to me.
He did have a one hitter but was also starting to go deep in counts and I believe he had a walk or two by then. I just think that bringing in Kennedy would’ve been a smarter move to just shut it down. It is what it is, Nola threw one heck of a game! But I agree with your other statements. We need the W today that’s for darn sure!

He did have a one hitter but was also starting to go deep in counts and I believe he had a walk or two by then. I just think that bringing in Kennedy would’ve been a smarter move to just shut it down. It is what it is, Nola threw one heck of a game! But I agree with your other statements. We need the W today that’s for darn sure!

Yeah I understand your point. I think in a playoff game maybe you do take him out but unfortunately you give him the chance to sneak out with a 1H - and bad luck they hit it out.

Also I just saw a replay - Jankowski almost brought that back in.

I'm not sure I'd say there's no reason for him to be out there, especially when you consider the Phillies bullpen this year. Heading into the 9th, Nola had 100 pitches through 8 innings, 1 hit allowed, 1 walk allowed, and a 12 pitch 8th inning heading. Certainly justifiable to have him come out in the 9th to try to finish it off.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the 3 batter minimum rule is the reason why Girardi didn't go to the bullpen to lead off the 9th. You have a starter pitching a hell of a game and if you go to the bullpen to start the 9th and the reliever clearly doesn't have it after the first 2 batters, you're still stuck with him for one more batter with the winning run at the plate.

I'm not sure I'd say there's no reason for him to be out there, especially when you consider the Phillies bullpen this year. Heading into the 9th, Nola had 100 pitches through 8 innings, 1 hit allowed, 1 walk allowed, and a 12 pitch 8th inning heading. Certainly justifiable to have him come out in the 9th to try to finish it off.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the 3 batter minimum rule is the reason why Girardi didn't go to the bullpen to lead off the 9th. You have a starter pitching a hell of a game and if you go to the bullpen to start the 9th and the reliever clearly doesn't have it after the first 2 batters, you're still stuck with him for one more batter with the winning run at the plate.
Another good point.

Also - anyone else just can stand listening to Amaro's voice in the broadcast? I have it on but muted.

Next move should be Didi to IL to activate Galvis.

After Wednesday,the next 30 games are against teams who have a worse record than have the Phillies,save for 3 in Milwaukee.Most of those games are at home as well.The Braves have a much tougher row,especially on the road.

Gain one game a week to win the division.

Oh one more thing - apparently Odubel is hot again. Play him until he slumps.

Ruben Amaro is only great if you are Adam F. Goldberg. Have Kruk or Schmidt do it remote. Please get him out of there.
I thought I was going to hate him but I actually don’t mind him. But no one compares to Kruk and his commentary.

Bohm sent to AAA today despite hitting .291 since 8/1. And the Phils kill another young talent.

STAT proven WRONG

Last edited:
LOL Bohm to AAA, it's like they can't help but mess up every prospect.

I think with Rhys back the Phils realize a lineup with Segura, Harper, JT, Rhys, Didi, Cutch is enough veteran offense if it means Toe at 3B making the plays that Bohm does not. You have to figure this is the end of the line for Didi and Cutch with the Phils, so I’ll assume Bohm is competing for the starting 3B job come Spring. This demotion is just a speed bump, no reason to totally give up on Bohm.

Reactions: Terry_2426
I think with Rhys back the Phils realize a lineup with Segura, Harper, JT, Rhys, Didi, Cutch is enough veteran offense if it means Toe at 3B making the plays that Bohm does not. You have to figure this is the end of the line for Didi and Cutch with the Phils, so I’ll assume Bohm is competing for the starting 3B job come Spring. This demotion is just a speed bump, no reason to totally give up on Bohm.

Didi has another year IIRC. Cutch is done. I'm not giving up on him but the Phils are starting Toe (I like that) who can't hit either and is just a journeyman. With the lineup you pointed out they can afford the occasional early error if it's also getting a young talent needed reps in the bigs.

There may be an astrological reason for Bohm's problems at the plate this year;Saturn in Aquarius is opposing his Sun in Leo.He should be fine next season.I've seen this problem affect star athletes in every sport over the past 50 years.He'll be fine.

Need to win 5 in a row now. Split with TB, sweep AZ, win 2 of 3 @WSH. That would make us 9-3 over 12 games including the @SD series. Would be hard to complain out that. 4.5 GB now - win 7 out of the next 8 and we’ll be within 2.5 for sure.

The Braves are trailing in a suspended 7 inning game after 5 innings,a game that will be finished in San Diego.That may be another half game pickup.

Getting to Sept.9th is the key.The schedule may be the easiest in the game over the next 3.5 weeks.

And where the hell is Hoskins today!!??
He's not fully healed and they plan on sitting him a few times a week, from https://theathletic.com/2786058/202...ndrum-protecting-rhys-hoskins-2022-questions/

The Phillies are planning to ease Rhys Hoskins’ workload when possible; he will play the remainder of the season in some pain because his groin injury has not fully healed.

The Phillies lifted Hoskins in the eighth inning of Sunday’s win against the Padres. They will have to maintain caution.

“We’re going to do that to protect him,” Girardi told reporters on the postgame video call. “Sometimes it can be just one play that grabs him.”

Whatever it takes. The Phillies need Hoskins in the lineup as much as possible. If it means sitting him twice a week, then so be it.

Also in the news today, they are shaking up their crappy player personnel development org:

ADVERTISEMENT