ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread

It is ashame about Nola. I really hope our bullpen can hold this 7-1 lead.

Connor Brogdon has a chance to become the first 30 game winner since Denny Mc Lain.

I wonder he if plays the organ or has aspirations of running a gambling site.

Looking at him,you know that he doesn't drink a case of Pepsi every day.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
That's true, but there's many a slip between the cup and the lip. I don't think the Phillies have enough defense, enough starting pitching, enough relief pitching (I'm already worried about Alvarado -- he reminds me of "Wild Thing" Mitch Williams) -- and I worry about the outfield aside from Harper.
Except for the 1962 Mets,{40 wins}, Tommy Lasorda once said, every team will win 50 games, lose 50 games, so it comes down to what you do with the other 62 games!

Yes, but I don't trust then yet.
I'm with you. I'm suspicious of the bullpen's ability to throw strikes and to avoid leaving pitches out over the plate. Alvarado, Neris, Brogdon, Hale and of course Velasquez have these problems. Maybe Archie Bradley and Kintzler will prove relia

Last edited:
Reactions: TM94goRU
5-1, sweeping the division champs and then taking the series from a team who many “experts” see as a playoff team. O really hasn’t gotten going yet and still scored 5, 4, and 8 vs NYM. Day off today for the surprisingly good bullpen and JT to rest, and then another big series @ATL and then @NYM. Would take 4-3 over the next 7 games knowing we only see Nola once in that stretch.

Do they bring up Howard to be used in that role, or do they want to keep him on the path towards a rotation spot?

They are limiting Howards innings this year by using him in a mixed roll and are trying to "save" those innings for the stretch run. From this Athletic article, https://theathletic.com/2481194/202...plicated-situation-the-bullpen-makeover-more/ :
He is the first reserve because, for now, the Phillies are not envisioning Spencer Howard as rotation insurance. Dombrowski revealed the 2021 plan for Howard, who was optioned Friday to Triple A, and it is unconventional. Does the team view Howard as a starter this season?

“No,” Dombrowski said. “And when I say that, it is a very complicated situation. Because we view Spencer Howard as being a starting pitcher for the long term. We also look at him, and we think he’s ready to pitch in the big leagues. But he only pitched such limited innings this spring that we figured that it benefits him to go out and pitch rather than try to rush it. He’s healthy. The other day he threw great. But we’re going to increase his innings, and we have a limit there in our own minds.

“And one of the problems you run into is, if you make him a starting pitcher this year right from the get-go, those innings get burned very quickly. So it’s not that we don’t like him as a starter. But right now we plan on using him more as a bullpen guy. A three-inning-type guy. Maybe an inning here.

Get swept out tonight and the early season success is wiped out and puts pressure on us in a 4-game series @NYM. Biggest game this season so far.

Get swept out tonight and the early season success is wiped out and puts pressure on us in a 4-game series @NYM. Biggest game this season so far.
Disturbing to see Wheeler so inept and then a weak mental error by Alvarado. Pitching awfulness makes the team lose faith mentally.

Need to get back on track tonight. Important to start another winning streak.

Well the Phils just got a gift run in the top of 9. Umps and review totally blew a tag play at home. Bohm never touched the plate. I can't believe the review didn't see it either. If I were the Phils I'd give the run back. Winning like that sucks. (If they hang on to win)

Then again the Braves weren't giving back any Greg Maddox's 10 years of fake strikes so maybe I don't feel that bad.

Well the Phils just got a gift run in the top of 9. Umps and review totally blew a tag play at home. Bohm never touched the plate. I can't believe the review didn't see it either. If I were the Phils I'd give the run back. Winning like that sucks. (If they hang on to win)

Then again the Braves weren't giving back any Greg Maddox's 10 years of fake strikes so maybe I don't feel that bad.
What team did Greg Maddox pitch for? Was he related to Garry Maddox?

Alright, ring the bell we won. Now let us beat the Mets. Don't feel bad, imo, not just GM, the entire Braves pitching staff got 6 inches here or there when they needed it in the 90's.

Reactions: RUScrew85
You might remember a Phillies standout from years back named Mike Maddox. Greg was his brother. Phils had Dom DiMaggio for a while too.

Last edited:
You might remember a Phillies standout from years back named Mike Maddox. Greg was his brother. Phils had Dom DiMaggio for a while too.
Vince was the brother,not Dom.Vince still holds the Phillies' record for most grand slams in a season.

Vince was the brother,not Dom.Vince still holds the Phillies' record for most grand slams in a season.

Really I always heard it was Dom. Thanks for the correction. The Phils have had a couple of crappy brothers of great players.

You’re kidding, right?!

Well I had second thoughts after considering the Greg Maddox issue but no, he was obviously out. There used to be this thing called sportsmanship, yeah I'd give it back. The fairest thing would be a do-over but that's even less likely to be figured out then giving the run back. Not sure there's even a way to do that in MLB.

I don't know how anyone can look at that review and know definitively if he touched the plate or not. He may have touched the corner, but he probably didn't. At that angle, it's impossible to know.
Either way, it's a win.

I don't know how anyone can look at that review and know definitively if he touched the plate or not. He may have touched the corner, but he probably didn't. At that angle, it's impossible to know.
Either way, it's a win.
I disagree - he never touched it but that point is moot.

Rainout, double header tomorrow starting at 4:05 I believe. I hate double headers, usually you see a split.

This outfield needs help.Cutch may be done.Quinn cannot hit.Where is Haseley?Where is Moniak?

Last edited:
This outfield needs help.Cutch may be done.Quinn cannot hit.Where is Haisley?Where is Moniak?
I think they're giving Quinn a chance to win CF because Hasley started off poorly at the plate. Let's give everyone until the trade deadline before we start cutting folks. Cutch has started very slow and so has Haseley. Let's see how it plays out. I'm more concerned with Neris as closer. We already know he can't close.

Really bad not to earn a split in yesterday’s DH. Wheeler tonight and Eflin tomorrow. Need tonight’s game badly. Quinn and Haseley are not big leaguers. Either bring up Odubel or make a trade.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Agree with all the outfield hate, they probably have the worst CF situation in the league. Don't think Quinn, Haseley, or even others like Moniak or Herrera are big league starters at this point. I love watching Cutch, but he's on the downside of the aging curve and is what he is at this point.

Every team has lesser players somewhere in its lineup, but they usually bury him the 8-hole. Ours bats first. That's a big issue for me. CF is a completely different topic. Odubel is clearly the best hitter of the 5 candidates. The whole spring tryout was disingenuous.

This comes down to bad drafting. Yes the Moniak year was a bad draft, but picking first you need to get much more value than a 4A extra outfielder. The Phillies should do whatever they have to not to play a doubleheader again. After yesterday's damn disgrace, this team needs a long winning streak pronto.

Former Rutgers pitcher at the Camden campus, Jeff Singer, is on the Phillies AAA team in Lehigh Valley—

Respectfully I cannot believe you guys were not in on Springer. He would have solved your CF problem and lengthened your lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT