ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread

Odubel is riding one of those hot streaks, so we have to enjoy it while he lasts. I've played and watched enough baseball to know how tough it is to hit consistently, but it's so hard to understand how a professional can go from '450 one moth to .080 the next the way he does.
But man, isn't it nice to get something...anything from the CF spot?

Odubel is riding one of those hot streaks, so we have to enjoy it while he lasts. I've played and watched enough baseball to know how tough it is to hit consistently, but it's so hard to understand how a professional can go from '450 one moth to .080 the next the way he does.
But man, isn't it nice to get something...anything from the CF spot?
Him and Hoskins. If I was manager once either of them got cold they'd sit for two weeks until they get another start.

Is Girardi not as good as we thought?
HIs unwarranted faith in Neris alone as a closer lock has me leaning that way. More than a couple times, he's had inning 7 and /or 8 guys throwing well with very low pitch counts and still gone to Neris like it's a cookie cutter decision.

Reactions: TM94goRU
TODAY:JT and Didi out;Bohm still in.Obdubel up to 6th.

I think letting Bohm play through his slump is best. I'd hate for them to Dom Brown/Aaron Alther him too.

If he's got talent let him play it out and see what he can do. We know Hoskins either hits .400 or .150 - I'm fine with sitting him in a slump. He spends 10 weeks in one. Bohm we don't know yet.

I wanted Benintendi in the worst way this off season. He was underperforming last year and we coulda got him for a reasonable trade. Now look at him this year!

Reactions: TM94goRU
Yesssss !!!! The Phillies will sell standing room tickets for games starting June 12. They will go on sale May 25. Called earlier and they said you can only get cell phone tickets before the day of a game, but they will sell real tickets for standing room on game day as long as they are available.

Yesssss !!!! The Phillies will sell standing room tickets for games starting June 12. They will go on sale May 25. Called earlier and they said you can only get cell phone tickets before the day of a game, but they will sell real tickets for standing room on game day as long as they are available.
I promised my nephew a game for his 21st birthday and was all set to buy him a game in May, which would have cost me a ton for lower level. I'm so glad I waited. I told him we're holding off til June when I can actually afford 2 tickets and 2 beers.

Another Rays win this afternoon would allow Nola to pitch the Fightins' into phirst.Phans in the area could go to both games,being that the parks are separated by only 22 miles.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
Hasn't been for what, 5 years. Heck I hear the other loser is kicking ass in Boston. Pivetta. Good for both of them.
Pivetta isn't scheduled for next week at the Bank,fortunately.

Today's lineup:No Harp or JT.Hoskins,Bohm at 3-4.Kingery in makes it feel as if there's no DH.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Pivetta isn't scheduled for next week at the Bank,fortunately.

Today's lineup:No Harp or JT.Hoskins,Bohm at 3-4.Kingery in makes it feel as if there's no DH.
WTH happened to Kingery? He could hit a little last year and the year before.

Had Covid during 2020 and hasn’t been the same since. It’s honestly kind of scary that we don’t have another IF or OF at AA or AAA who we’ve brought up to send Kingery back down. It’s obvious something is either very wrong or Kingery is simply just not a true major leaguer.

Had Covid during 2020 and hasn’t been the same since. It’s honestly kind of scary that we don’t have another IF or OF at AA or AAA who we’ve brought up to send Kingery back down. It’s obvious something is either very wrong or Kingery is simply just not a true major leaguer.
Well Maton is killing it. But yeah I hear ya.

The top 2 hitters on the team are batting 8th and 9th.

MLB needs to expand both the 40 man and the 26 man rosters to 45 and 28.The union would go along because of the additional 2 MLB jobs.

Didi needs to be the full time DH in his contract's last year.Girardi has a major problem what to do about this year's shortstop.

Good article by Matt Gelb on The Athletic about him the other day, https://theathletic.com/2590002/202...think-both-sides-know-that-this-is-not-ideal/. Basically in the off season he reworked his swing, in order for him to see the benefits from that work he needs consistent at bats to get the swing down. However with the holes in the roster and the lack of other options, the Phillies need him to fill in and can't afford to let him work it out in the minors. Now the pressure is snowballing and in his head.

From the article above:
“It’s a tough situation,” Kingery said Friday afternoon. “I mean, I don’t want to say anything bad because I’m in the big leagues. Right? I’m on a big-league roster right now. And that’s awesome. But, at the same time, I know personally if I want to get back to being myself as a baseball player, the only way to do that is to get consistent at-bats. You can only do so much work in the cage and in BP. But if you can’t test it out in a live-game situation, then you don’t know what you’re doing really. You don’t know if it’s working, or if you can get comfortable with that swing and that approach.”

Kingery is simply not a major leaguer. He never was. The guy had one hot spring, but what has he done since? He can't hit major league pitching.

Kingery is simply not a major leaguer. He never was. The guy had one hot spring, but what has he done since? He can't hit major league pitching.

I don't know - he seemed like a young guy with a future who was rushed a bit into the majors. The last two years might have explanations other than a lack of talent.

The top 2 hitters on the team are batting 8th and 9th.

MLB needs to expand both the 40 man and the 26 man rosters to 45 and 28.The union would go along because of the additional 2 MLB jobs.

Didi needs to be the full time DH in his contract's last year.Girardi has a major problem what to do about this year's shortstop.

Well if we still had the DH Maton could play SS - but in that different reality who knows if Maton would have ever gotten a chance.

Reactions: RUhasarrived
Those drunks who ran on the field after Alvarado gave it up likely thought that the game was over.

Getting to June 2nd is the goal.7 off days in June.

If this team could stop striking out, it might be able to perform up to it’s potential. When we put the bat on the ball generally good things happen.

Girardi should have used a pitcher to bunt over the runners instead of using Miller vs a lefty.The new minimum batters faced rule would have allowed him to use Miller later if needed.Still,the short bench-with no DH- is the killer.

If this team could stop striking out, it might be able to perform up to it’s potential. When we put the bat on the ball generally good things happen.
Yea, but that is how the game is played now, every team has the same problem. From https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-take-another-stab-at-unpacking-the-rising-strikeout-rate/

For context, the league-wide strikeout rate has increased every season since 2005, when it sat at 16.4%. In 2021, that figure has risen to 24.1%. That is a 47% increase in 16 seasons. Not only has the strikeout percentage monotonically increased, but the rate at which it is increasing is growing. From 2005-09, the rate increased by 9.7%; from 2010-14, 10.3%. In the most recent five seasons, the strikeout rate increased by 11.6%.

Seven Games In May.

This road trip,4 in Miami,2 in Tampa,and 1 in WKRP territory will likely decide this season's outcome.

Tonight:Miller in right,Odubel batting 2nd,as Joe shows confidence against this possibly great young lefty,Rogers.

Seven Games In May.

This road trip,4 in Miami,2 in Tampa,and 1 in WKRP territory will likely decide this season's outcome.

Tonight:Miller in right,Odubel batting 2nd,as Joe shows confidence against this possibly great young lefty,Rogers.
No Bryce either

ADVERTISEMENT