ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 NY Mets Season And Post Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Escobar is struggling, but I'll take him over, Villar. Villar doesn't play the same level of defense, and Villar is an all-or-nothing type of player on offense. It's one reason why Villar has been bouncing around the last few years and never a starter.
Esco has been all nothing dude. A corner infielder who's been playing practically every day and sitting in the middle of the lineup yet doesnt even have 10 rbi's. Bro.....come on. I like the guy. Seems to be a good teammate. But thats not gonna get
It was both. A ground ball to Escobar's left which he booted. Maybe the scorer thought it was too difficult a play to charge an error. Or maybe he thought Goldschmidt would beat it anyway. (I disagree on both counts.) Anyway, he gave him a hit. The error was for allowing the runner on first to get to third.

Thanks.

Mets are now 12 games over .500 for the first time since the final day of the 2016 season. 87-75 with a James Loney bat flip. Then sadly, we learned about some guy named Conor Gillaspie.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Esco has been all nothing dude. A corner infielder who's been playing practically every day and sitting in the middle of the lineup yet doesnt even have 10 rbi's. Bro.....come on. I like the guy. Seems to be a good teammate. But thats not gonna get

Thanks.
I understand you are a Villar fan, but the more you dig into both stats, Escobar is the better player.

Both BA are around the same (.255) for their careers.

Villar lacks the power compared to Escobar.

Escobar has consistently hit around 20+ homeruns in the latter half of his career.

Villar has been single digits in HR for most of his career except for a few seasons.

When it comes to defense, there is no comparison. Villar is terrible compared to Escobar.

Villar has been with five teams over the last three seasons for a reason, he's at the end of his career, but he doesn't realize it.

Villar had an entire season to impress the Mets, and he failed. Let's give Escobar more than a month before burying him.

I understand you are a Villar fan, but the more you dig into both stats, Escobar is the better player.

Both BA are around the same (.255) for their careers.

Villar lacks the power compared to Escobar.

Escobar has consistently hit around 20+ homeruns in the latter half of his career.

Villar has been single digits in HR for most of his career except for a few seasons.

When it comes to defense, there is no comparison. Villar is terrible compared to Escobar.

Villar has been with five teams over the last three seasons for a reason, he's at the end of his career, but he doesn't realize it.

Villar had an entire season to impress the Mets, and he failed. Let's give Escobar more than a month before burying him.
Doug we're about a quarter of a way through. He's on pace for 8 home runs and 36 ribby's. For an every day playing corner IF. That's Rey Ordonez type production. But okay i'll give it the full season. Then i'm going on Baty watch. How many years is his contract? No more than two I hope.

Doug we're about a quarter of a way through. He's on pace for 8 home runs and 36 ribby's. For an every day playing corner IF. That's Rey Ordonez type production. But okay i'll give it the full season. Then i'm going on Baty watch. How many years is his contract? No more than two I hope.
Yup, two years, club option for a third.

Neither one is playing well, but Villar has been on the decline much longer than Escobar. My problem with Villar is he felt he was a better player than his stats indicated. Villar has felt that way the last three years, but the teams he's played for thought otherwise.

Neither one is playing well, but Villar has been on the decline much longer than Escobar. My problem with Villar is he felt he was a better player than his stats indicated. Villar has felt that way the last three years, but the teams he's played for thought otherwise.
There's a 2B playing for San Diego right now who has an .222 average, and he came pretty cheap. 😬

For those of you who wanted Chris Paddack…

Jon Heyman of NYP has reported that the Mets did not like Paddack's meds, and that's why they backed off the trade. Looks like they were proven right. Heyman's tone was that of "now it can be told". Maybe the Mets promised the Padres that they would keep their reasoning secret, rather than jeopardize any Padre efforts to trade Paddack elsewhere.

To tell you the truth I dont even know what team Villar is on this year. Im going strictly off of last year. He had several game changing moments for the team. Tying or go-ahead homers or base hits. That sort of thing . Could also steal you some bases. The biggest detriment I remember with him was that he did have the occasional base running blunder.

To tell you the truth I dont even know what team Villar is on this year. Im going strictly off of last year. He had several game changing moments for the team. Tying or go-ahead homers or base hits. That sort of thing . Could also steal you some bases. The biggest detriment I remember with him was that he did have the occasional base running blunder.
I would love to have Villar still on this team to come off the bench and fill in when we want to give some starters a break. As much as LG has been doing a great job, Villar has more pop and speed.
But honestly- it is so low of concerns. We are fine without him.

My biggest problem with the deal was Hosmer's contract. He is owed approximately 14 million this year and then 39 million over the next three years as he ages into his mid 30's. IMHO his money can be better spent at the trade deadline or in the off season.

Reactions: tico brown
A rainout note. For those of us who anxiously await robot umps (and you know who you are), we got one step closer this week. The AAA Pacific Coast League just implemented it on a trial basis. This is the highest level of baseball which has gone robot.

Interestingly, the AAA robot strike zone is 19 inches wide, although home plate is only 17 inches. The robot has added an inch to each side. The top and bottom of the zone is of course customized for each hitter. As long as any part of the ball nicks any part of the zone, it's a strike.

We'll see how it works out.

A rainout note. For those of us who anxiously await robot umps (and you know who you are), we got one step closer this week. The AAA Pacific Coast League just implemented it on a trial basis. This is the highest level of baseball which has gone robot.

Interestingly, the AAA robot strike zone is 19 inches wide, although home plate is only 17 inches. The robot has added an inch to each side. The top and bottom of the zone is of course customized for each hitter. As long as any part of the ball nicks any part of the zone, it's a strike.

We'll see how it works out.
So tired of so much of the bullshit balls and strikes calls going on currently.

Reactions: tico brown
Marte back from bereavement. Jake Reed up. Scherzer to the IL and Katoh to Cuse. Medina up as the 27th man.

Escobar
1st at bat blown away on a 90 MPH straight fastball on a 3-1 count
Blown way

second at bat swung at a 57 foot curve

Mets are going to have to hit to survive the next 6 weeks . Too many guys are lost at the plate stuck with a sub 220 avg

Lindor can NOT stay in the 3 hole
He’s becoming a hole in the lineup

Was just going to say this. One of the most overrated players in baseball.
While he is not the perfect number 3 guy in the lineup at this time, we really do NOT have a 3 hole guy unless you have any combo of Nimmo, McNeil, Marte starting off. But then, who is protecting Pete?

Interesting note for the Lindor haters.

All of baseballs great SS's, supposedly one of the strongest groups of SS's MLB has ever seen. In 2022- Lindor leads them all in runs produced. Just saying

Why was it that Peterson wasn't up to pitch this game?
Don't know, but it really doesn't matter. It was either going to be Williams yesterday and Peterson tomorrow (with Walker today) or vice versa.

They will need another starter on Wednesday. Possibly Szapucki, who will be rested and ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT