ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 NY Yankees Season And Post Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, a series they won. Figuring out where Judge should hit in the lineup is not the problem. A surrounding cast and an offensive philosophy is.
Of course it is, but you can't bat a guy with a high on-base percentage in the leadoff spot if you don't have a guy with a high on-base percentage on the roster. The whole team is "hit home runs and strike out" - even the good hitters (Judge, Stanton). The problem is an organizational (Cashman) philosophy problem on how to build a team ... and it's been a problem for over a decade.

Reactions: ashokan
Of course it is, but you can't bat a guy with a high on-base percentage in the leadoff spot if you don't have a guy with a high on-base percentage on the roster. The whole team is "hit home runs and strike out" - even the good hitters (Judge, Stanton). The problem is an organizational (Cashman) philosophy problem on how to build a team ... and it's been a problem for over a decade.
We agree.

Reactions: AdventureHasAName
I've been saying this for years. Have taken a lot of heat from fellow Yankees fans but I'll say it again. Cashman has to go!! His analytics team is by far the worst in baseball and he is the person who assembled it and set the rules. Every year it is the same. This ending shouldn't surprise anyone. It's the same ending every season! This is an organization issue. They will never get to a World Series by continuing with Cashman.

I've been saying this for years. Have taken a lot of heat from fellow Yankees fans but I'll say it again. Cashman has to go!! His analytics team is by far the worst in baseball and he is the person who assembled it and set the rules. Every year it is the same. This ending shouldn't surprise anyone. It's the same ending every season! This is an organization issue. They will never get to a World Series by continuing with Cashman.
Agree….let’s applaud Cashman for the mid 90s - early 00s success (even if a lot of that was due to Gene Michael), but at the same time realize that smarter analytics guys have passed him by in today’s era. Time for the Yanks to realize they’re the Yanks and go get the smartest GM.

Agree….let’s applaud Cashman for the mid 90s - early 00s success (even if a lot of that was due to Gene Michael), but at the same time realize that smarter analytics guys have passed him by in today’s era. Time for the Yanks to realize they’re the Yanks and go get the smartest GM.
I dunno, everyone thought the guy from Tampa - Bloom? - was the second coming and he's not doing too well in Boston. But I do agree that a change may be necessary. Sometimes things just get stale in an organization and you need someone with new ideas and a fresh perspective.

Who are these "Yankee fans", lol. Almost every Yankee fan I know wanted to shitcan Cashman and Boone after last season.

Who are these "Yankee fans", lol. Almost every Yankee fan I know wanted to shitcan Cashman and Boone after last season.
Go back and read the past few years threads. It was non stop. Last year people thought Gallo was a great trade pickup. I killed him for it and heard from them. First page of last years off-season thread I heard it on my first mention of Cashman.

I always defended Cashman and not afraid to admit it. At this point, the Yankees need new leadership and guidance so a clean sweep of the front office is necessary. I still think Cashman is a good GM, but he's clearly not getting it done in NY. Perhaps he can get over the hump in a small to middle market team.

Reactions: WhiteBus
I always defended Cashman and not afraid to admit it. At this point, the Yankees need new leadership and guidance so a clean sweep of the front office is necessary. I still think Cashman is a good GM, but he's clearly not getting it done in NY. Perhaps he can get over the hump in a small to middle market team.
We've had our battles over him but in the end its about wanting the same thing. Getting back to the World Series.

Reactions: Rhuarc
We've had our battles over him but in the end its about wanting the same thing. Getting back to the World Series.
Agreed and I don't mind admitting I was wrong on this one. Time to take a break, recharge and get back to work.

I do find the Series to be intriguing though and I'll probably check it out a bit.

Agreed and I don't mind admitting I was wrong on this one. Time to take a break, recharge and get back to work.

I do find the Series to be intriguing though and I'll probably check it out a bit.
Living in Philadelphia I'm all on board. Their playoff run has been amazing!

Living in Philadelphia I'm all on board. Their playoff run has been amazing!
I'm still trying to figure out how the Phillies finished so far behind the Braves and the Metsies in the regular season.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Phillies finished so far behind the Braves and the Metsies in the regular season.
Phil's are built were they can just get hot and have a huge run. They had that 14/15 games during the season and doing it again.

During a 162 game season- things like fielding and having at least one very dominate reliever, become more of an issue.
Phils also have a very hot Harper going right now too.

The Yankees hot streak happened in the beginning of the season. The Phillies at the end. That's really all it takes.

Baseball seems particularly vulnerable to early season breakouts and late season crashes.
When Yanks sprinted ahead, and people had the World Series won already, I took it as a bad sign.

There's an old saying that fits: "Those who the gods would destroy are first lifted up."

To me...and not knowing the financial situation on contracts...Donaldson, Torres, Hicks, Higgy, and Carpenter need to go.

That's assuming Benintendi and DJ are 100%.

The #1 emphasis has to be a legitimate closer that can get KOs.

Of course, throw all that out the window if they don't sign Judge.

To me...and not knowing the financial situation on contracts...Donaldson, Torres, Hicks, Higgy, and Carpenter need to go.

Benintendi is a free agent.

DJ's contract isn't looking to be a winner so far.

Giants saying they will outspend anyone to get Judge and it isn’t even a question. I wonder if he’s as good as gone?

Giants saying they will outspend anyone to get Judge and it isn’t even a question. I wonder if he’s as good as gone?
He made his risky decision not to sign with the Yankees which is a huge signal. Like Freeman going to LA it wasn't about the money. Both offers were close. He just wanted to go back to the West Coast. Same might be the case with Judge. SF has plenty of $$ space in their payroll. Yankees do not. The Yankees are committed to 8 players for next year at $160 million already. Also I don't feel they must retain him "at all costs." He is will be 31 next season. He wants a 9 year contract. I don't think the Yankees or anyone should go that far.

The ultimate question is: How much money is too much money for one player? If Judge is looking for 35-40 million a year for a short term, that's palatable. If it's that much over 10 years, I go back to my pre-season comment which is, "is he smoking crack???"

Reactions: RW90 and WhiteBus
And if he gets that offer, he should take it obviously. But that's going to be the Robinson Cano contract for someone for a bunch of years.

All reasonable if the Yankees do not want to go with an 8-9 year contract at those $$$

The next big question- if they don't sign Judge, what is the plan?

Reactions: RW90
One of the problems with the current team and Judge…He has become the face of the Yankees. And there isn’t anyone else on the team that is close.
And with the salary he'll rightly command, there won't be room for many other top line players either.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
And with the salary he'll rightly command, there won't be room for many other top line players either.
Which is why they shouldn't "match" an outrageous offer. For example, Mike Trout and Ohtani are stars of the game but they play for a meh Angels squad whose owner won't pay to fill out the rest of the pitching staff and fielders. You can throw Pujols at the end of his years on that team for much of the 2010s.

They went nowhere.

I like Aaron Judge. I want him back. But not at the expense of hamstringing the annual budget for the Yankees and the others players they are going to need to compete. He's an amazing hitter and fielder, but he can't be the sole guy you rely on to have a good team year in and year out.

Remember "carrying" Alex Rodriguez, Mark Texiera and others through the "last legs" of their contracts?

Reactions: MitchLL and RW90
Which is why they shouldn't "match" an outrageous offer. For example, Mike Trout and Ohtani are stars of the game but they play for a meh Angels squad whose owner won't pay to fill out the rest of the pitching staff and fielders. You can throw Pujols at the end of his years on that team for much of the 2010s.

They went nowhere.

I like Aaron Judge. I want him back. But not at the expense of hamstringing the annual budget for the Yankees and the others players they are going to need to compete. He's an amazing hitter and fielder, but he can't be the sole guy you rely on to have a good team year in and year out.

Remember "carrying" Alex Rodriguez, Mark Texiera and others through the "last legs" of their contracts?
And Cole is already on the hook for $36M per thru '28, and Stanton for $30M avg. per thru '27.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT