ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 NY Yankees Season And Post Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The number of pitchers with 10 or more appearances is close to normal for many teams. Where is a little more concern is that on a quick glance, the number of relief innings per game pitched. Yankees are near the top part of that list.

Not sure where you are getting your data. By my count the Yankees are middle of the road in innings pitched for both starters and relievers.

Starters have pitched 147 innings over 29 games (5.06 innings per game) and which currently ranks tied for 12th in MLB. Leader is the Padres at 5.5 innings per game.
Relievers have pitched 113 innings over 29 games (3.90 innings per game) which currently ranks tied for 17th in MLB.

When compared to other teams - Yankees bullpen has the best record in MLB (14-5), Best ERA (2.3), Highest WAR (2.0). Probably one of the best end to end bullpens in MLB.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.a...rtdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&sort=7,d

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Not sure where you are getting your data. By my count the Yankees are middle of the road in innings pitched for both starters and relievers.

Starters have pitched 147 innings over 29 games (5.06 innings per game) and which currently ranks tied for 12th in MLB. Leader is the Padres at 5.5 innings per game.
Relievers have pitched 113 innings over 29 games (3.90 innings per game) which currently ranks tied for 17th in MLB.

When compared to other teams - Yankees bullpen has the best record in MLB (14-5), Best ERA (2.3), Highest WAR (2.0). Probably one of the best end to end bullpens in MLB.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.a...rtdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&sort=7,d
I do stand corrected. Even after today- still at 3.9 innings a game and that would have them right in the area you have them. I was looking at a different stat sheet and it didn't get that granular so I did it with a quick look.
With that said- 3.9 per game has a good chance to wear them down. And up until last week- you could do that with the extra guys on the roster but now, you have to hope the starters can find another 2-3 more outs in them.

What is the difference between 5.06 and 5.5 innings a game? 1 out at most? I don't think is a concern. If we could get 6 innings out of our starters that would be great but nowadays when you run through the order a 3rd time, it's just easier to go to the pen.

This is where the Yankees bullpen depth should pay off tremendously.

What is the difference between 5.06 and 5.5 innings a game? 1 out at most? I don't think is a concern. If we could get 6 innings out of our starters that would be great but nowadays when you run through the order a 3rd time, it's just easier to go to the pen.

This is where the Yankees bullpen depth should pay off tremendously.
3-5 years from now, there will be no "starters".

Reactions: RW90 and Rhuarc
Very pro-Cashman article on NJ.com from Klapisch. Sure to trigger some people around here I'm guessing. Article

Gallo and hicks look lost. Rizzo only hitting 230 Donaldson 225 and yanks still rolling.
I'm not saying that they're missing Sanchez, but Higashioka is at .179 and Trevino at .175.
I don't know what made anyone think that Higgy could hit at this level.

Reactions: RW90
I'm not saying that they're missing Sanchez, but Higashioka is at .179 and Trevino at .175.
I don't know what made anyone think that Higgy could hit at this level.
Sanchez wasn't a good hitter and he was an awful cather. Nobody expected Higashioka to hit .300 or even .250. He is there to catch. Starting pitching has improved dramatically in part because of stabilizing the catching situation.

Sanchez wasn't a good hitter and he was an awful cather. Nobody expected Higashioka to hit .300 or even .250. He is there to catch. Starting pitching has improved dramatically in part because of stabilizing the catching situation.
Thank you- I am starting to wonder about so many so called baseball experts and fans who complain about a catcher's hitting when their pitching staff is lights out.
Is it a super benefit to have a great defensive catcher who calls a great game who can hit, of course it is...but if there is 2-3 in the game in any given year, you are lucky.
Your pitching staff is doing what it is doing in a large part with a huge assist from your catchers. Complain about you other position players that aren't hitting or if the pitchers start complaining about the catcher.

Reactions: Rhuarc
I don't have time to check it out now, but you've got me curious as to how many MLB teams have their catchers batting .179 and .175. And also how many catchers in the Yankees long and glorious history have hit .179 or .175.
I'll try to get some time later tonight to do a little research. Or maybe tomorrow.

I don't have time to check it out now, but you've got me curious as to how many MLB teams have their catchers batting .179 and .175. And also how many catchers in the Yankees long and glorious history have hit .179 or .175.
I'll try to get some time later tonight to do a little research. Or maybe tomorrow.
I am pretty sure it is less than 1/4 through the season...btw- have you seen the BA around the league for Catchers? Not impressive. And- Yankee pitching is more than happy.

They should get it over with already. An Aaron
Judge is like a once in a life time thing. I think Cashman might be brain dead.
He offered him 7 years at 30.5 million dollars a year. How much more do you want to pay him? Dollars per year aren't the problem. He wanted a 9 year contract. Do you really think any team is going to give him that many years in free agency? I can only imagine the posts when he's 38 and hitting like Cano.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Thank you- I am starting to wonder about so many so called baseball experts and fans who complain about a catcher's hitting when their pitching staff is lights out.
Is it a super benefit to have a great defensive catcher who calls a great game who can hit, of course it is...but if there is 2-3 in the game in any given year, you are lucky.
Your pitching staff is doing what it is doing in a large part with a huge assist from your catchers. Complain about you other position players that aren't hitting or if the pitchers start complaining about the catcher.
Many people around here don't get this for some reason.

Catchers in general don't have high batting averages these days. Besides I don't really care what they are batting. Sanchez batting average the last 3 years was .147, .205, and .195 Why was he still on the team at a high arbitration salary for his lack of production? He was the worst everyday catcher I have ever seen. His departure also has the benefits of better pitching.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
Catchers in general don't have high batting averages these days. Besides I don't really care what they are batting. Sanchez batting average the last 3 years was .147, .205, and .195 Why was he still on the team at a high arbitration salary for his lack of production? He was the worst everyday catcher I have ever seen. His departure also has the benefits of better pitching.
No one expects them to hit like the next Johnny Bench or Manny Sanguillen, but these guys are making the Mendoza Line look like an impossible height to reach.
Nevertheless, the Yankees start the season 24-8 for only the fifth time in their storied history.

No one expects them to hit like the next Johnny Bench or Manny Sanguillen, but these guys are making the Mendoza Line look like an impossible height to reach.
Nevertheless, the Yankees start the season 24-8 for only the fifth time in their storied history.
Make that 25-8. how many times for 25 0r
26-8?

There are 12 catchers who have played in at least 20 games these season hitting under .200
There is 1 catcher (Tyler Stephenson) batting .300 or above.

There are 12 catchers who have played in at least 20 games these season hitting under .200.
There are 30 MLB teams.
Did you ever imagine that the Bronx Bombers would have a catcher in that Bottom Twelve ?

Last edited:
NESTOR CORTES - 2022 Cy Young?
:)

BTW, 5 runs on 2 hits without the other team committing any errors? Interesting game.

There was something about Sanchez people
don't talk about. In the minors he was a major
headache for the Yanks. He was asked to warm
up a pitcher and refused saying not my job.
He refused to run out on balls. Asked to attend
English speaking meetings He refused, The Head coach finally suspended him. There were
constant problems with his attitude.

There was something about Sanchez people
don't talk about. In the minors he was a major
headache for the Yanks. He was asked to warm
up a pitcher and refused saying not my job.
He refused to run out on balls. Asked to attend
English speaking meetings He refused, The Head coach finally suspended him. There were
constant problems with his attitude.
Nobody cared about any of that when in 2016 in 53 games he hit .299 with 20 home runs and 42 RBIs or in 2017 when in 122 games he hit .278 with 33 home runs and 90 RBIs.
Once he started battling to stay above the Mendoza Line those other things helped get him a one-way ticket from Yankeeland.

I tired of Sanchez's act quite a while back. But I'm not loving their "plan" for replacing him.
Nobody long term available this past off season. They also had more important things to accomplish this past season. SS, 1st, pitching etc. Not a long term thing at catcher but it is by far an upgrade over Sanchez. The pitching confirms it.

Nobody cared about any of that when in 2016 in 53 games he hit .299 with 20 home runs and 42 RBIs or in 2017 when in 122 games he hit .278 with 33 home runs and 90 RBIs.
Once he started battling to stay above the Mendoza Line those other things helped get him a one-way ticket from Yankeeland.
I believe if he has real good year someday,
and gets A multi year contract his chitty attitude would return. I have no use for the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT