ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 Philadelphia Phillies Season And Post Season Thread

Moniak with two more hits today. That kid is white hot.
This team, at the very least, should be interesting. I don't know for how long, but with Moniak and Stott, you've got the youth storylines. You've got a remade (again) bullpen. There's the two new LFs who are both actually DHs. Will the defense hold up? And then there's always Mr. Harper in RF. Lots to watch.

Reactions: RUScrew85
This team, at the very least, should be interesting. I don't know for how long, but with Moniak and Stott, you've got the youth storylines. You've got a remade (again) bullpen. There's the two new LFs who are both actually DHs. Will the defense hold up? And then there's always Mr. Harper in RF. Lots to watch.
I’ll trade 2 LF for Greg Lozinski lol remember when he was a rarity

Now that spring has ended and moving on to the season- how are you guys feeling about the team.
During the spring it looks like guys, both on offense and pitching were either very good or very bad.
I think on pitching- Nola and Eflin should be ok but how do you feel about the other starters? And you are seeing the good Familia so far and Hand looks good too.
On offense- same thing- Realmuto, Moniak, Harper, Castellanos are crushing it. Is Scott or Didi going to be SS? But then the rest of the guys are a big dropoff.
Should be an interesting year

Here's my 2 cents:

If Wheeler is OK SP should be fine, if Suarez stays above average to average. Nola's start yesterday(?) looked great.

The bull pen has so many experienced arms they should be 1000% better than the disaster last year. Just keep that Familia scrub out of high pressure situations.

The pitching has been getting so many strikeouts maybe it can mitigate the lack of defense. Nah.

OF - big story is Moniak learning to hit. If he's even a average MLB hitter (And he should be, he's a #1 pick) he'll get the starting job in CF and be a huge surprise. If not there's Vierling who had a solid year last year. Odubel is likely a memory. Harper might even be better this year with all the protection. Casty looks like a legit bat - better than I had heard.

IF - I think they give Bohm the first shot at 3B. If he doesn't grab the opportunity we'll see him Stott and DD playing the left side. Stott got substantial time at 3B this spring. Segura and Hoskins - yeah. Everyone gets time at DH and 1B - JT too. They seem with Schwarber to have one too many guys to swap into DH with everyone who either will need a spell or just can't field. Someone will get hurt though - someone always does so it will work out. BTW Schwarber did not look very good in spring training (not that that means anything)

The division is very strong. One thing to keep in mind - the Phils and Mets play almost all of their games early in the season - with likely two Mets aces hurt during that time - so that should (could) work out in the Phils favor.

So here's the bottom line - MAYBE they can out hit / out score most opponents and strike a bunch of hitters out to mitigate the bad bad bad defense. They should hit the hell out of the ball. SP is solid. BP SHOULD be much better.

I'm going 92 wins and playoffs. (LOL God help us)

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Here's my 2 cents:

If Wheeler is OK SP should be fine, if Suarez stays above average to average. Nola's start yesterday(?) looked great.

The bull pen has so many experienced arms they should be 1000% better than the disaster last year. Just keep that Familia scrub out of high pressure situations.

The pitching has been getting so many strikeouts maybe it can mitigate the lack of defense. Nah.

OF - big story is Moniak learning to hit. If he's even a average MLB hitter (And he should be, he's a #1 pick) he'll get the starting job in CF and be a huge surprise. If not there's Vierling who had a solid year last year. Odubel is likely a memory. Harper might even be better this year with all the protection. Casty looks like a legit bat - better than I had heard.

IF - I think they give Bohm the first shot at 3B. If he doesn't grab the opportunity we'll see him Stott and DD playing the left side. Stott got substantial time at 3B this spring. Segura and Hoskins - yeah. Everyone gets time at DH and 1B - JT too. They seem with Schwarber to have one too many guys to swap into DH with everyone who either will need a spell or just can't field. Someone will get hurt though - someone always does so it will work out. BTW Schwarber did not look very good in spring training (not that that means anything)

The division is very strong. One thing to keep in mind - the Phils and Mets play almost all of their games early in the season - with likely two Mets aces hurt during that time - so that should (could) work out in the Phils favor.

So here's the bottom line - MAYBE they can out hit / out score most opponents and strike a bunch of hitters out to mitigate the bad bad bad defense. They should hit the hell out of the ball. SP is solid. BP SHOULD be much better.

I'm going 92 wins and playoffs. (LOL God help us)
nice summary- thank you...And I can't believe I forgot Wheeler. lol - And yes, it works out nice for you guys that you are playing most of the Met games early. Big difference in facing the Met's without deGrom and a possible, not 100% Max. Because, let's face it- those are the two starters in baseball that no matter how good your offense is, no one hit either of those guys if they are healthy.

I am going to go a bit lower for you guys as like the Met's, something always seems to go wrong. 85-88 wins

nice summary- thank you...And I can't believe I forgot Wheeler. lol - And yes, it works out nice for you guys that you are playing most of the Met games early. Big difference in facing the Met's without deGrom and a possible, not 100% Max. Because, let's face it- those are the two starters in baseball that no matter how good your offense is, no one hit either of those guys if they are healthy.

I am going to go a bit lower for you guys as like the Met's, something always seems to go wrong. 85-88 wins

Yeah that summary and prediction is my typical excited hopeful opinion at the start of the season.

In reality (Maybe not LOL), Nola shows he's washed up and has another year like last. Wheeler is hurt part of the year. Eflin and the other guy are average at best - Suarez was a mirage last year (Meh).

Bohm to AAA, Stot OK but no power at 3B, DD has another year like last.

Moniak is a mirage and back to AAA by June. Vierling a mirage, Odubel starts in CF.

Bullpen is the same old Phillies lighting $25M on fire for a bunch of washed up arms.

They win 82. 1 round and out of the playoffs.

Now that's a real Rutgers-Phillies fan evaluation. LOLOL

He’s been so good I actually took him 2nd to last in my draft. 😂

Only thing I would say is that (barring a major injury or 2) he's always going to hit in the bottom 3rd of the lineup, and will likely platoon, both of which limits his at bats which are huge in fantasy. If he hits 9th in front of Schwarber, I don't expect him to run much, so depending on your scoring could limit him as well.

I'd rather take a guy who is at the top of a lineup then someone at the bottom of a very good one. In any case the bottom of fantasy rosters are usually churned through the season, so ride the hot hand. Good luck.

Nola and Wheeler (if healthy) will be fine no matter who plays defense, as their K rates will help them. Efflin, Gibson and Suarez are good 3-5 guys, buy they pitch to contact more so that is going to stress the D. Efflin and Gibson are more ground ball guys so maybe Stott over Bohm helps them if that pans out.

Last year I said that the bullpen can't be as bad as they year before so that should improve. Umm .. oops. I'll say the same again, they don't even need a top 10 bullpen, just an average one and they should be fine. I'm hoping that they are average.

The lineup will rake, getting anything from the Moniak/Vierling CF platoon will be good. I think Stott (Harper's BFF, but that doesn't matter wink, nudge) will get ABs at SS and 3b, and probably be below average at both, but with the rest of the lineup it doesn't matter.

All in all I think the Phillies are the 3rd best team in the division, and if things break right, they could win it, but that is not the most likely scenario.

I think the Braves have the best chance to win the division, followed by the Mets and Phillies. Each team could win depending on how their season goes and all could be in the playoffs. I think will shake out something like this:
Braves: 90-95 wins
Mets: 88-92 wins
Phillies: 85-90 wins

Nola and Wheeler (if healthy) will be fine no matter who plays defense, as their K rates will help them. Efflin, Gibson and Suarez are good 3-5 guys, buy they pitch to contact more so that is going to stress the D. Efflin and Gibson are more ground ball guys so maybe Stott over Bohm helps them if that pans out.

Last year I said that the bullpen can't be as bad as they year before so that should improve. Umm .. oops. I'll say the same again, they don't even need a top 10 bullpen, just an average one and they should be fine. I'm hoping that they are average.

The lineup will rake, getting anything from the Moniak/Vierling CF platoon will be good. I think Stott (Harper's BFF, but that doesn't matter wink, nudge) will get ABs at SS and 3b, and probably be below average at both, but with the rest of the lineup it doesn't matter.

All in all I think the Phillies are the 3rd best team in the division, and if things break right, they could win it, but that is not the most likely scenario.

I think the Braves have the best chance to win the division, followed by the Mets and Phillies. Each team could win depending on how their season goes and all could be in the playoffs. I think will shake out something like this:
Braves: 90-95 wins
Mets: 88-92 wins
Phillies: 85-90 wins
Looks about right. Any of them could take this division, question is will a Wild Card come from the NL EAST?

Harper homered twice yesterday. This team is going to be special. I can feel it.

Harper homered twice yesterday. This team is going to be special. I can feel it.

Oh my Sweet Summer Child.

The Phillies are the Rutgers Sports of MLB.

Your excitement will whither to bitter disappointment soon. Sorry.

Wow- that is a tough break

I mean for the Phils yeah. But this looks like this kid was ready to break out - hitting the crap out of the ball - and now all that is gone - six week layoff - another three or four to get back to a groove if he can do it. Everything was in place for this kid to get his chance to excel and now damn. Such a huge setback for him. Plus the Phils were starting to give up on him coming into this year so his leash is short already.

Heartbreaking.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Karma,I warned you after your delight about deGrom. It never turns out well when you take joy in a player getting injured.
Not sure if I remember delight of the injury but more of a relief that the Phils play us early in the season this year and they will have to face him very little this year. Seemed more like a "respect"

Not sure if I remember delight of the injury but more of a relief that the Phils play us early in the season this year and they will have to face him very little this year. Seemed more like a "respect"

There was a teensy bit of like (We're rivals). But yeah mostly what you said.

• Haha
Reactions: yesrutgers01
Go back and reread it, lol. deGrom out for another arm injury,"nice", that's showing respect? Lol

• Wow
Big win - LOL @ Bohm in the field and then getting caught saying "I hate this place" on TV. Poor kid.

Hope he relaxes and figures it out. He has not made an out at the plate all year.

(Hasn't made many in the field either LOLOLOL) </groucho>

Oh God. Barf. The Sillies just resigned Roman Quinn.
nothing but organizational depth with a guy that knows the system. They literally ran out of anyone who could play CF above AA. Quinn could come in and play D in a pinch. He'll be gone once Herrera and Moniak are healthy.

Big win - LOL @ Bohm in the field and then getting caught saying "I hate this place" on TV. Poor kid.

Hope he relaxes and figures it out. He has not made an out at the plate all year.

(Hasn't made many in the field either LOLOLOL) </groucho>
Think he's done, needs a change of scenery at this point.

Back breaking early season loss for my Mets. Put one in the books for the bad guys, 😎 and 2 more injuries to boot.

As crappy as a person that DK was, he was much watch TV when he was hitting.
Was Kingman a crappy person? I never heard that, and I was an avid Giants fan when he came up with them. There is a story from his Mets days that he was talking to a woman at a party. They were talking about commuting, and he mentioned that he worked at Shea Stadium. She said later that he had been so modest and off-hand about it that she never suspected that he was a ballplayer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT