ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 Philadelphia Phillies Season And Post Season Thread

I see Hoskins as a poor defensive 1B who hits like every other 1B in the majors. We might get a 2nd tier prospect for him. We might get a decent reliever. Bu are we getting a difference maker? I highly doubt it.

I was hoping for better. I guess it's my home team lens acting up. There is talk of letting him just walk after he reaches FAgency. I guess that's why.

Maybe there will be a team with an injury or underperforming 1B/DH at the deadline that would make him a little more valuable in a trade. Actually I checked he's a FA in 2024. So that would increase his value a little too - one more year under control.

Since it's likely the Phils season is now done - I expect all other bats to start pressing and failing under the increased pressure they are under to pick up the Harper slack. Now might still be the best value for Hoskins assuming the possible situation above.

Sigh.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Just started watching the Phils game. Castellanos is DH. Shouldn't the DH be a good hitter?

While I expect the Mets to come back to earth, I don't think the Phils will be able to keep up with the Braves.

Our last manager already blew up the bullpen, and I don't expect them to have much left come August. I would shut him down, and make trades to improve our long-term prospects.

This team has guts, but turning this around with Harper was going to be a big ask. Now it is sadly a pipedream.

While I expect the Mets to come back to earth, I don't think the Phils will be able to keep up with the Braves.

Our last manager already blew up the bullpen, and I don't expect them to have much left come August. I would shut him down, and make trades to improve our long-term prospects.

This team has guts, but turning this around with Harper was going to be a big ask. Now it is sadly a pipedream.

Probably true but we have 5 weeks to see.

Mets fan here, and don't want to argue, but why do you think the Mets will come back to earth?
Consider that the Mets have been treading water, maintaining their lead in the NL East (shrinking) with their two best starting pitchers on the IL. They will both be back, one in a few days and the other in a few weeks. Mets lead the NL in batting average, RBI, OBP (2nd), and 3rd in OPS.

Mets fan here, and don't want to argue, but why do you think the Mets will come back to earth?
Consider that the Mets have been treading water, maintaining their lead in the NL East (shrinking) with their two best starting pitchers on the IL. They will both be back, one in a few days and the other in a few weeks. Mets lead the NL in batting average, RBI, OBP (2nd), and 3rd in OPS.
They have done great. It is just an educated guess on my part. Buck is a wonderful manager, who is getting the most from your team.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
They have done great. It is just an educated guess on my part. Buck is a wonderful manager, who is getting the most from your team.
Yeah. Makes one think if the Phils had dumped Girardi and gotten Buck if Phils would be in first place, and the Mets in third. Braves are very good and cause for concern for Mets and Phils fans. Fingers crossed Dodgers pull out the win here.

Yeah. Makes one think if the Phils had dumped Girardi and gotten Buck if Phils would be in first place, and the Mets in third. Braves are very good and cause for concern for Mets and Phils fans. Fingers crossed Dodgers pull out the win here.
Exactly, today was my first post in this thread because of Joe's overuse of the bullpen. I thought even with the better play recently, they were too far gone, with bullpen problems coming.

With your Mets it is just my perception. I look at the pitchers and not having Thor hurts. I don't look at any position and say, this guy scares me. I just didn't expect them to have such a great start.
Buck should be the favorite for manager of the year!

I see Hoskins as a poor defensive 1B who hits like every other 1B in the majors. We might get a 2nd tier prospect for him. We might get a decent reliever. Bu are we getting a difference maker? I highly doubt it.
You mean outside of the top 5 guys. After the top 5, it drops right into that area that Hoskins falls. But, his fielding hurts. He does get helped that the DH is in both leagues though.

I was hoping for better. I guess it's my home team lens acting up. There is talk of letting him just walk after he reaches FAgency. I guess that's why.

Maybe there will be a team with an injury or underperforming 1B/DH at the deadline that would make him a little more valuable in a trade. Actually I checked he's a FA in 2024. So that would increase his value a little too - one more year under control.

Since it's likely the Phils season is now done - I expect all other bats to start pressing and failing under the increased pressure they are under to pick up the Harper slack. Now might still be the best value for Hoskins assuming the possible situation above.

Sigh.
Well, my Met's could use some pop at DH...lol

Reactions: RUfinally2008
And you'd get that, for six weeks every season. For the rest of the season you'd have a .225 hitter who strikes out a lot with average power.
As long as it was the 6 weeks with the most games against you guys and Atl...lol
Though, if you wanted to throw Wheeler into the trade, we would find some way to make it work.

Today's NY Times has a great article about a guy from Hatboro who made one of his bathrooms into a shrine for Phillies relief pitchers over the years. He calls it the "Relief Room". Guy is a hell of a fan - I'd link it but it's behind the paywall.

going to be tough to get to the wildcard with the above time frame. Harper's bat alone would get a couple of wins over 35 or so games.

Where the rubber meets the road. Harper had the surgery today, after that now the Phils are not giving a timetable for his return.

If Hall keeps hitting, the Phillies have a nice "problem" for a change!

Harper should play center field when he returns as the arm is not as vital as it is to playing right.
After that,have Hall play first with Hoskins as DH.Moniak would have to be sent out until September.
When Segura returns,Stott should move to short ,benching Didi.
Getting one of the A's pitchers would be nice,especially if cash is a major consideration.Gibson is out of tune.

Reactions: RUScrew85
They'll have to start Nola on Wed. in order for him to pitch Monday in STL.Falter should go Thursday with either Sanchez or Emanuel on Tuesday.Coonrod could be back next weekend.
If Didi has to IL,if Maton or Camargo aren't ready,Kingery could be back.

With 82 games to play,49 of them are against teams with worse records,some markedly worse.The other 33 games are 22 against teams with better records,also some markedly better,and 11 against teams with somewhat similar records.

They'll have to start Nola on Wed. in order for him to pitch Monday in STL.Falter should go Thursday with either Sanchez or Emanuel on Tuesday.Coonrod could be back next weekend.
If Didi has to IL,if Maton or Camargo aren't ready,Kingery could be back.

With 82 games to play,49 of them are against teams with worse records,some markedly worse.The other 33 games are 22 against teams with better records,also some markedly better,and 11 against teams with somewhat similar records.
My math says we go 55-27 from here.

Tied for the wild card, after two straight shutouts. Thompson would have to go 1-20 to match Girardi’s record as manager this year. Thompson is 21-9, and we have had a ton of key injuries in the last month or so.

ADVERTISEMENT