ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 Philadelphia Phillies Season And Post Season Thread

I’d love to get Reynolds but i don’t want to deplete the already totally depleted farm.

yea, I hear you. I don't love Kiermaier's bat, but pairing him with a good bat no defense guy like Schwarber makes sense.

I'd rather pay a bit more for Bryant and his versatility.
For sure, I just see Bryant commanding too much money. Kiermaier is a stud in the outfield and I’ll welcome that with open arms. Schwarber would just be a great lead off guy for us

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
Single game tickets are now on sale. It says cell phone tickets only, but you can still buy real tickets at the box office day of the game. Tickets only $20. Parking is Free if you look around. You can bring in your own food and drinks as long as it isn’t glass.

Reactions: RutgersK1d
Single game tickets are now on sale. It says cell phone tickets only, but you can still buy real tickets at the box office day of the game. Tickets only $20. Parking is Free if you look around. You can bring in your own food and drinks as long as it isn’t glass.

Already got 2 for Opening Day. Section 138, row 11. My mom and I go every year. Having it a week to 10 days later will hpefully mean it's a bit warmer than some past openers.

Phillies signed Famila last night and Hand today. Bringing in a bunch of relievers and hoping that they make it through the season with the bullpen not being historically shitty for the 3rd year in a row.

Need a bat now.

I’m not a fan of Hand but I respect the attempts at improving the pen. We need a bat now. The Herrera talks make me think they’re going to spend on Bryant and or Schwarber…

Reactions: RUScrew85
I think Bryant triggers Bohm to 1B and Rhys to DH permanently, which I think makes the defense measurably better.
I wish I could agree. Bohm is tall, and that's a plus at first base, but he may be just as bad at fielding as a first baseman as at third. The Phillies are saying their plan is to rotate the DH position to keep Realmuto, Hoskins, and Harper's bats in the lineup while giving them some rest. I think that's become a pretty frequent practice in the majors.

For sure, I just see Bryant commanding too much money. Kiermaier is a stud in the outfield and I’ll welcome that with open arms. Schwarber would just be a great lead off guy for us

I see the Phils being smart (WHA!!??) and waiting out Bryant and getting him at a good price.

Phillies signed Famila last night and Hand today. Bringing in a bunch of relievers and hoping that they make it through the season with the bullpen not being historically shitty for the 3rd year in a row.

Need a bat now.

Familia is a gutless loser. Sure he had good stats but when it was a high pressure situation I've always seen him fail. He needs to be a middle reliever at most.

I think Bryant triggers Bohm to 1B and Rhys to DH permanently, which I think makes the defense measurably better.

Do you really think Bohm is a better 1B than Hoskins? I mean I think Hoskins is a better 1B than Bohm is a 3B fielding wise and how is the other corner IF position easier for Bohm? He just needs to get better.

Reactions: RutgersK1d
Do you really think Bohm is a better 1B than Hoskins? I mean I think Hoskins is a better 1B than Bohm is a 3B fielding wise and how is the other corner IF position easier for Bohm? He just needs to get better.
Not ncessarily. But Bryant is much better than Bohm at 3B, so I'm thinking replacing Hoskins at 1B with Bryant at 3B is the improvement. Bohm for Hoskins straight up is a wash.

We agree! I'm shocked (not really). But I doubt Bohm can get better as a fielder. Either you have the reflexes to play an infield position or you don't. Maybe he can make a career as a DH, although generally DHs have more power, and the Phillies don't seem to want a full-time DH.

Not ncessarily. But Bryant is much better than Bohm at 3B, so I'm thinking replacing Hoskins at 1B with Bryant at 3B is the improvement. Bohm for Hoskins straight up is a wash.

OK. I can see DH getting spread around though. Hoskins sometimes sure, but Harper, JT, Bohm are going to need time there too. So if both of them can't DH I think Hoskins has to play 1B over Bohm, no?

Familia is a gutless loser. Sure he had good stats but when it was a high pressure situation I've always seen him fail. He needs to be a middle reliever at most.

I agree, don't like this signing. He lost stuff since pitching a ton of innings a few years back. Plus his best asset right now is getting ground balls and as discussed above the Phillies infield d is pretty bad right now.

More details on these points made in this Fangraphs article, https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-assortment-of-reliever-signings-part-one/

Adding Familia is also in line for a bullpen that led baseball in reliever groundball rate last year. But all those worm-killers don’t really fit with the Phillies’ defense. Jean Segura (+5 DRS) represents their only above-average defender on the infield; Rhys Hoskins (-7), Didi Gregorius (-10), and Alec Bohm (-13) are out-and-out disasters at their positions. Given Familia’s propensity to get grounders and allow walks, he figures to put a lot of pressure on this defense, putting the onus on the Phillies to improve it or suffer the foreseeable consequences

OK. I can see DH getting spread around though. Hoskins sometimes sure, but Harper, JT, Bohm are going to need time there too. So if both of them can't DH I think Hoskins has to play 1B over Bohm, no?
Probably. Though Bohm is young and could improve. It sucks that we've built a team with so many defensive liabilities.

Probably. Though Bohm is young and could improve. It sucks that we've built a team with so many defensive liabilities.

Hey so I figure Dave Kingman and Bob Horner played 3rd. Why not Bohm?

Last edited:
I don’t get it, they’re signing people who are past their prime. I’m just hoping this is all because they’re working on a big money player
Well, Familia, at this point, slots into the 7th inning at best. He's no longer in high leverage situations, barring at least 2 injuries and probably 3. At this point, he's just a piece of the bullpen. Not a major piece.

Well, Familia, at this point, slots into the 7th inning at best. He's no longer in high leverage situations, barring at least 2 injuries and probably 3. At this point, he's just a piece of the bullpen. Not a major piece.

Agree. And fingers crossed you're right.

Yea I’m just confused by it all. We could’ve signed someone decent for the money we’ve spent thus far. I understand the need for bullpen help but putting a bunch of guys in the pen who are on the decline doesn’t make sense but hey these guys are a lot smarter than me. I just hope it all works out.

I’m not sure how many games I remember Kingman at 3B- assuming maybe with the cubs. But you always find a place for 500 HR

he would have been a great DH
I was living in the Bay Area, and was a Giants fan, during Kingman's years there. He did play 3b, but not that much. As with many tall players with limited defensive skills and speed, he mostly played 1b. Maybe the same can be done with Bohm, but the Phillies have enough groundball pitchers that they need good infielders.

It's hard to know whether Kingman would have been a good DH. Only a few players are good at sitting around all game and doing nothing but hitting. It takes a special mental make-up.

I was living in the Bay Area, and was a Giants fan, during Kingman's years there. He did play 3b, but not that much. As with many tall players with limited defensive skills and speed, he mostly played 1b. Maybe the same can be done with Bohm, but the Phillies have enough groundball pitchers that they need good infielders.

It's hard to know whether Kingman would have been a good DH. Only a few players are good at sitting around all game and doing nothing but hitting. It takes a special mental make-up.
Somehow- I think Kingman would have been perfectly suited for it...

Yea I’m just confused by it all. We could’ve signed someone decent for the money we’ve spent thus far. I understand the need for bullpen help but putting a bunch of guys in the pen who are on the decline doesn’t make sense but hey these guys are a lot smarter than me. I just hope it all works out.
Don't be so sure.

He'd fit in today. HR or a K.
he would be considered a contact hitter now- never K'd more than 156 times in a single season. lol
It's funny- I remember he had a great final year with 35 HR and 4 of his final 5 years with +30 and no one would sign him. While he was an asshole, everyone knew that MLB blacklisted him so he wouldn't get to 500 HR's at a time that it was an auto into the HOF.

• Haha
I once was at a game at Shea, and saw Dave Kingman make a great shoe string catch, at the wall on the HR track, lol. I used to call him The Butcher of Bagdad on defense.

Schwarber signed, wouldn't be surprised if that is it for the big ticket items. Will likely go with a Herrera-Vierling platoon in CF.

Rumors swirling about a Castellanos signing, didn't think Middleton would go above the luxury tax, but here we are.

we’ve never seemed to care about Defense so might as well make the best offensive team we can at this point

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT