ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 Philadelphia Phillies Season And Post Season Thread

Wheeler had low velocity surprising me. I wonder if he's being cautious or if he's injured still.

Wheeler had low velocity surprising me. I wonder if he's being cautious or if he's injured still.
He didn't have a standard off season. Had minor soreness during training in December, then didn't pitch in spring game, only threw some innings against Phillies minor leaguers in an intrasquad game. Hopefully he's just building up strength. If he's not at 97 like he was last year after his next couple of starts we can start worrying.

Was Kingman a crappy person? I never heard that, and I was an avid Giants fan when he came up with them. There is a story from his Mets days that he was talking to a woman at a party. They were talking about commuting, and he mentioned that he worked at Shea Stadium. She said later that he had been so modest and off-hand about it that she never suspected that he was a ballplayer.
you can't be serious...

Was Kingman a crappy person? I never heard that, and I was an avid Giants fan when he came up with them. There is a story from his Mets days that he was talking to a woman at a party. They were talking about commuting, and he mentioned that he worked at Shea Stadium. She said later that he had been so modest and off-hand about it that she never suspected that he was a ballplayer.
A few Kingman stories appeared in a book about the Mets called the Bad Guys Won, one of the stories dealt with an experience the author had with Kingman directly during spring training in the early 80's. The author asked Kingman to sign a ball as he was coming off the practice field as some of the other Mets were doing. Kingman stopped, smiled, asked the kid to throw him the ball and then when the kid did as directed, Kingman stepped back, refused to catch it and let it fall into a puddle. He then walked away still smiling.

A few Kingman stories appeared in a book about the Mets called the Bad Guys Won, one of the stories dealt with an experience the author had with Kingman directly during spring training in the early 80's. The author asked Kingman to sign a ball as he was coming off the practice field as some of the other Mets were doing. Kingman stopped, smiled, asked the kid to throw him the ball and then when the kid did as directed, Kingman stepped back, refused to catch it and let it fall into a puddle. He then walked away still smiling.

LOL. That's mean.

So Ruben Amaro who for some Godforsaken reason is in the Phillies TV broadcast booth starts talking about his father of color who was part of breaking the color barrier.

Ruben says if it weren't for them he wouldn't be part of the Phillies.

I think he vastly overrates his contribution to the Phillies experience.

Defeat racism in Baseball vs. decades of Ruben Amaro jammed down Phil's fans throats?

He's making this integration thing tough to embrace. LOL

you can't be serious...
IDK. I read the SI piece. Other than sending a rat to a reporter, he seemed like a guy who was not suited to the social aspects of being a MLB player. Does that make him a "bad person," or a guy who made a bad career choice? Looking at it one way, having the talent to be a MLB player is a gift, and one would think that a player should be able to handle the social aspects of being a MLB player. But he just seemed like an introvert who did not want to interact with reporters or fans. So he had all of the physical tools but not the emotional tools-was he supposed to pass on a MLB career and pump gas instead?

This sums him up quite well:

"Maybe it was his personality -- Kingman, by all indications, did not like people. I've always suspected he did not like baseball either -- or at least many parts of baseball. I think he liked hitting 500-foot home runs. It was the other stuff that seemed to bore him or irritate him or whatever."

/S/ Mrs. Kingman 😜

See above.
That's mean, but if you read the SI story, he seemed like a guy who was not mentally equipped to be a baseball player--the SI piece said he was probably better suited for fishing.

Can we talk about how the Phillies are 🗑 once again. How did their offense get worse?

Schwarber looks like he was a mirage.
Harper slow start.
Vierling looks like he never swung a bat before.
Didi is washed up.
Stott looks suddenly way overrated

alternatively they could ALL be pressing which is silly because they have so many options for offense in that lineup (on paper). To me that falls a bit on Girardi, he needs to manage this team through this team wide slump.

Not sure Nola is still Nola consistently.
Suarez was a mirage last year.

Reactions: RutgersK1d
Schwarber looks like he was a mirage.
Harper slow start.
Vierling looks like he never swung a bat before.
Didi is washed up.
Stott looks suddenly way overrated

alternatively they could ALL be pressing which is silly because they have so many options for offense in that lineup (on paper). To me that falls a bit on Girardi, he needs to manage this team through this team wide slump.

Not sure Nola is still Nola consistently.
Suarez was a mirage last year.
doesnt Harper usually get off slow? But he isn't even getting on base.

Can we talk about how the Phillies are 🗑 once again. How did their offense get worse?
I come in peace as a Met fan but I think the Phils will be fine and in it to the end. Your offense is scary good and will come around. Your starting pitching is good enough with Wheeler and Nola and I think you pen is improved. I don't have to tell you its your defense, especially up the middle which is your Achilles heal. Didi looks done.
The Marlins have outstanding young pitching and are getting better. They are going to be a spoiler in the division.
Anyway, it really early and you guys will be fine. Hopefully we are battling it out with you at the end of the season.

I guess. They are not on TV tonight. Only on MLB or maybe local streaming radio. F them I can use a day off from their crap.
I hate the tease of MLB network. It’s the only way I get to see my team, Mets. But no one ever sells out anymore so every home game is blacked out.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I hate the tease of MLB network. It’s the only way I get to see my team, Mets. But no one ever sells out anymore so every home game is blacked out.
I currently have Tmobile for cell service and every year they give you MLB.tv for free. For me it's awesome since I live in North Jersey, I'm out of the Philly market and get most of their games on that.

I currently have Tmobile for cell service and every year they give you MLB.tv for free. For me it's awesome since I live in North Jersey, I'm out of the Philly market and get most of their games on that.
I just still can’t believe they haven’t all been called out on blackout rules during these past 3 years.

Yeah I got that last week IIRC. The ONLY way I'd have access to MLB.TV. And really I'll only use it for the audio to stream when rarely needed.

I have learned but haven't checked that 94 WIP's web site actually streams the games now on Audacity (?).

They always blocked live games in the past but a Phillies blog says they stream it on Audacity. Probably not free? But maybe cheaper than MLB if you don't need the Video.

Dave Dombrowski has built two world champions. But I haven't yet seen a move from him that seems especially good. Castellanos and Schwarber have power, but both are defensive liabilities, and there's no place in the lineup for both of them. Why pay millions for part-timers who can't help the team with one of its biggest problems? Another big problem is pitching, especially in the bullpen. Dombrowski's approach seems to be to sign a bunch of relievers with mediocre records and hope that one or two work out. Maybe he has a grand strategy, but I can't see what it is. I have a hunch that some of the moves are being made to keep Bryce Harper happy, especially to make sure he is protected in the lineup and gets pitches to hit. That's good for his stats. But I'm not sure it's a winning approach.

Last edited:
Dave Dombrowski has built two world champions. But I haven't yet seen a move from him that seems especially good. Castellanos and Schwarber have power, but both are defensive liabilities, and there's no place in the lineup for both of them. Why pay millions for part-timers who can't help the team with one of its biggest problems? Another big problem is pitching, especially in the bullpen. Dombrowski's approach seems to be to sign a bunch of relievers with mediocre records and hope that one or two work out. Maybe he has a grand strategy, but I can't see what it is. I have a hunch that some of the moves are being made to keep Bryce Harper happy, especially to make sure he is protected in the lineup and get pitches to hit. But I'm not sure that's a winning approach.
On paper, if you look at Castellanos and Schwarber- they would look much better than the Met moves for Canha and Escobar. But the later two fit the team they went to in areas of need. While yours are just bats being force to fit into your team. By end of the year, I am sure your guys will both hit and have numbers- but were they the right fit for a winning team.

On paper, if you look at Castellanos and Schwarber- they would look much better than the Met moves for Canha and Escobar. But the later two fit the team they went to in areas of need. While yours are just bats being force to fit into your team. By end of the year, I am sure your guys will both hit and have numbers- but were they the right fit for a winning team.
Less sure about Schwarber.

I just still can’t believe they haven’t all been called out on blackout rules during these past 3 years.
As far as I know the blackout rules for MLB are area based not attendance based. i.e. If watching the Phillies vs Marlins on MLB.tv on my phone and I travel from where I live to my Mom's in South Jersey, at some point I reach the Philly market and the game would stop working.

As far as I know the blackout rules for MLB are area based not attendance based. i.e. If watching the Phillies vs Marlins on MLB.tv on my phone and I travel from where I live to my Mom's in South Jersey, at some point I reach the Philly market and the game would stop working.

I think you're right. It was the NFL that needed a sellout some number of hours before the kickoff. I think MLB just blacks out local games period. Unless you're paying or radio.

But see my post above - the Phils/94/Audacity might be a work around but I'm not interested in finding out because I have free mlb.tv.

I think you're right. It was the NFL that needed a sellout some number of hours before the kickoff. I think MLB just blacks out local games period. Unless you're paying or radio.

But see my post above - the Phils/94/Audacity might be a work around but I'm not interested in finding out because I have free mlb.tv.
I had always thought it was area plus attendance but you may be right.

As you know, "on paper" is helpful in evaluating players, but other things are more important. As they say in the financial field, "past results do not predict future performance." "On paper,' as again I'm sure you know, is a particularly weak way of judging defense, a prime Phillies need.

Dave Dombrowski has built two world champions. But I haven't yet seen a move from him that seems especially good. Castellanos and Schwarber have power, but both are defensive liabilities, and there's no place in the lineup for both of them. Why pay millions for part-timers who can't help the team with one of its biggest problems? Another big problem is pitching, especially in the bullpen. Dombrowski's approach seems to be to sign a bunch of relievers with mediocre records and hope that one or two work out. Maybe he has a grand strategy, but I can't see what it is. I have a hunch that some of the moves are being made to keep Bryce Harper happy, especially to make sure he is protected in the lineup and gets pitches to hit. That's good for his stats. But I'm not sure it's a winning approach.
The thing is, the defense shouldn’t matter. Good hitting is better imho. Those defensive issues will only arise occaisionally. They will make the routine plays and how often will they have to make a play that’s above average? Most likely not often. They will however bat every time their number comes up in the order. I’m fine with the moves they made, I’m not fine with the way that Girardi is moving guys around the lineup and sitting them and moving their positions each day. Let the players get a sense of normalcy and let’s start hitting the ball.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
The thing is, the defense shouldn’t matter. Good hitting is better imho. Those defensive issues will only arise occaisionally. They will make the routine plays and how often will they have to make a play that’s above average? Most likely not often. They will however bat every time their number comes up in the order. I’m fine with the moves they made, I’m not fine with the way that Girardi is moving guys around the lineup and sitting them and moving their positions each day. Let the players get a sense of normalcy and let’s start hitting the ball.
except they are not even considered average defensive players. Can't think of many recent WS winners with bad defense...

Reactions: retired711
So down here in Robbinsville I get Comcast Sportsnet and almost all the Phil's games on TV.

One question for ya'll, WTF are the Phil's thinking putting Ruben Amaro in the TV booth everyday? I think last year he was in there occasionally. But this year seems he's been there every TV game.

He is the least favorite person who ever played for the team. He was a crappy player, a crappy GM, a crappy base coach and frankly nothing special in the booth. Hell he probably sucked as batboy when he did that.

How can they think this isn't annoying to Philies fans? What happened to Kruk, hell bring back Sarge. Hell I'd almost take a woman in the booth over Amaro.

WFT? He's making unwatchable baseball twice as bad.

Oh and isn't Girardi on the last year of his contract? Because another 10 game streak with only 2 wins and he's a goner.

Reactions: RutgersK1d
I second the Amaro comments. I don’t understand why they keep him around. Kruk is my favorite. And lastly, Girardi needs to go.

Amaro is bad. Schmidt is bad. Kruk is average. I miss Harry and Whitey.

God I miss Harry and Whitey too.

Kruk at least isn't proactively annoying with a history of being a Phillies charity case like Amaro.

Krukker is krukker. They guy who game up his uniform number for a 12 pack.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
I was going to say I missed Harry and Whitey ("Hard to believe, Harry'), but figured I'd get labeled as a fossil. I don't care for any member of the current broadcast team.

Kruk was a good player --acquiring him from San Diego for Chris James was a rare stroke of genius for the Phillies -- but he seems bored in the broadcast booth.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
I was going to say I missed Harry and Whitey ("Hard to believe, Harry'), but figured I'd get labeled as a fossil. I don't care for any member of the current broadcast team.

Kruk was a good player --acquiring him from San Diego for Chris James was a rare stroke of genius for the Phillies -- but he seems bored in the broadcast booth.
Wouldn’t you be bored with this underperforming team? Lol

Wouldn’t you be bored with this underperforming team? Lol

True, but he always sounds bored, even during the occasional periods when the team is playing well.
Great announcers even make a game at least interesting even for a bad to under performing team. See Keith/Ron/Gary for Met games over the past 20 years or so

Reactions: RUScrew85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT