ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 Philadelphia Phillies Season And Post Season Thread

And I can’t stand the Mets announcers hahaha
So your saying you hate to listen to the best, most knowledgeable announcing team in baseball? Should I list the Mets broadcasters over the decades that have gone on to do national sports in both baseball and football? Starting with Lindsey Nelson- Tim McCarver- Ron Darling- Gary Thorne- Fran Healy-Kevin Burkhardt.

Last edited:
So your saying you hate to listen to the best, most knowledgeable announcing team in baseball? Should I list the Mets broadcasters over the decades that have gone on to do national sports in both baseball and football? Starting with Lindsey Nelson- Tim McCarver- Ron Darling- Gary Thorne- Fran Healy-Kevin Burkhardt.
No reason to get upset lol. We’re all entitled to our opinions. I just do not like Mets announcers. Just like I don’t like Yankee announcers.

My favorite? Harry Kalas…. I do appreciate Kruk tho. He’s honest and played the game so he speaks the truth.

I think Darling is very good. The other two are...not.

My favorite? Harry Kalas…. I do appreciate Kruk tho. He’s honest and played the game so he speaks the truth.
Kalas was great, and Richie Ashburn was an excellent side-kick. Kruk is honest as you say; he just sounds often like he doesn't care. His chief interest seems to be in the food that's served in the booth.

Kalas was great, and Richie Ashburn was an excellent side-kick. Kruk is honest as you say; he just sounds often like he doesn't care. His chief interest seems to be in the food that's served in the booth.
Yea I agree on his lack of enthusiasm.

Even if I weren’t a Met fan- I would say that is complete stupidity and anti Mets coming out in you. If those three could be cloned for every team- no one ever complain
Completely disagree. As I said, Darling is very good. Cohen's homeowners call is cringeworthy and Keith can't go one inning without a 1986 reference. When you're talking to people who grew up with Harry Kalas, the bar is higher than that. Please stop.

Harry. Kalas.
So, let's say Kalas and McCarver are equal- I assume Kalas is in the broadcaster HOF and he should be. As Met's fans, we have never had a single period of time that we did not have a very good to great broadcasting team.
And Keith/Ron/Gary are pretty well recognized as one of the best teams today.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Is that bar as high as Lindsey Nelson, Bob Murphy, and Ralph Kiner?
cubuffsdoug, he doesn't have a clue, and I'm betting he never heard Linsey, Murph and Kiner call a game. Honest to God, the other day I'm listening to Susan and Sterling on a drive home. It's the inning a Yankee hit a popup around home plate. Sterling, the complete waste he is now describes the play as the catcher in "foul" territory under the ball and drops it. Then in the next breath he says the Yankees take a 1-0 lead, lol. To make it worse, before the NEXT pitch, he reports it's 2-0 Yankees. So 2 Yankee runners scored and this doofus didn't even realize how many scored. What a total embarrassment. I almost feel bad for Waldman, almost.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
cubuffsdoug, he doesn't have a clue, and I'm betting he never heard Linsey, Murph and Kiner call a game. Honest to God, the other day I'm listening to Susan and Sterling on a drive home. It's the inning a Yankee hit a popup around home plate. Sterling, the complete waste he is now describes the play as the catcher in "foul" territory under the ball and drops it. Then in the next breath he says the Yankees take a 1-0 lead, lol. To make it worse, before the NEXT pitch, he reports it's 2-0 Yankees. So 2 Yankee runners scored and this doofus didn't even realize how many scored. What a total embarrassment. I almost feel bad for Waldman, almost.

Sterling is horrendous. And while I don't like female broadcasters in major sports, Waldman is an extra level of bad.

I never liked McCarver. One season and he was out of material. The same crap over and over....
He had some stuff that was priceless but I can get what you are saying. I think he was actually better local and new then he was as a National guy.
but the point is- the only thing the Mets have continued to be very good at is their broadcasting teams.

So, let's say Kalas and McCarver are equal- I assume Kalas is in the broadcaster HOF and he should be. As Met's fans, we have never had a single period of time that we did not have a very good to great broadcasting team.
And Keith/Ron/Gary are pretty well recognized as one of the best teams today.

McCarver couldn't wash Kalas' car.

The bottom line is this broadcaster thing is as personal as the fandom.

I know Mets guys love their broadcast team. To Phils fans Kalas and Whitey were literally Gods. We grew up with them for 30+(?) years. Hell I even liked Andy Musser.

No one wins an argument like that.

All I know is I never liked Wheeler and Amaro just kills the game for me. I really dislike him.

He had some stuff that was priceless but I can get what you are saying. I think he was actually better local and new then he was as a National guy.
but the point is- the only thing the Mets have continued to be very good at is their broadcasting teams.

They are loved by their fans, highly regarded in general but rivals fans will criticism them. I think they're above average. But as said before, nothing is ever going to compare to Harry and Whitey for a Phils fan.

First lap with McCarver he's great. But it always seemed to be the same schtick when I heard him as his career went on. (Kinda like Madden).

For the casual fan they were great, but they got old fast for a serious long time listener.

I'm not a hater. I've already said twice that I think Darling is good. I honestly think he's one of the best. But Keith and Cohen bring down the average. I actually disliked McCarver, and Kiner never did it for me. I'm an Eagles fan, but I enjoy Troy and I like Moose. Has nothing to do with who I root for.

Reactions: RUScrew85
First lap with McCarver he's great. But it always seemed to be the same schtick when I heard him as his career went on. (Kinda like Madden).

For the casual fan they were great, but they got old fast for a serious long time listener.
I was going to use the Madden comparison…great minds lol
And I get it- Philly did have some good ones. I was just comparing that as a Met fan- I have been so disappointed in everything over the years except for the broadcasting teams. We have never had a bad team in the broadcast booth. Even if McCarver wore on you, he still was very good and the others with him were solid as well. I even liked Fran Healy quite a bit.

I know Mets guys love their broadcast team. To Phils fans Kalas and Whitey were literally Gods. We grew up with them for 30+(?) years. Hell I even liked Andy Musser.

All I know is I never liked Wheeler and Amaro just kills the game for me. I really dislike him.
I tried to say it’s all based on opinion but some people get offended when you say you don’t like certain announcers…..

I tried to say it’s all based on opinion but some people get offended when you say you don’t like certain announcers…..
I'm all good with opinion on this and can see why someone wouldn't like some announcers. I never saw the appeal of Harry Caray outside of Chicago.
But, like I said- as a Met fan, there is not a single guy that I can think of that I just wanted out of the booth. And almost every team we have had- has had at least one guy that is respected by everyone and at least one guy that a Met fan loves. I was only comparing to you guys really disliking your guy right now.

You're right; it's very personal. FWIW, Kalas disliked Wheeler, who was always acting as though only he understood what was going on. I didn't mind Musser, but a lot of Phillies fans didn't care for him. I don't understand why the Phillies employ Amaro, who is detested by the fan base for his performance as GM and so turns listeners off.

I'm all good with opinion on this and can see why someone wouldn't like some announcers. I never saw the appeal of Harry Caray outside of Chicago.
But, like I said- as a Met fan, there is not a single guy that I can think of that I just wanted out of the booth. And almost every team we have had- has had at least one guy that is respected by everyone and at least one guy that a Met fan loves. I was only comparing to you guys really disliking your guy right now.
I get it. Different voices for everyone. I will say the Mets announcers do understand baseball and you can see it with their break downs.

Am I the only Phillies fan here with a sense of dread that the off day is over and they are playing again tonight?
Hahahha we gotta win some games…. I’m not thrilled about playing the Brewers tho. Peralta isn’t throwing well so hopefully we tee off on him.

I really don't understand why, but I haven't turned the Phillies on yet this season. I've watched and rooted for a lot of bad teams in my life, so it can't just be the Phillies' lack of success.

I really don't understand why, but I haven't turned the Phillies on yet this season. I've watched and rooted for a lot of bad teams in my life, so it can't just be the Phillies' lack of success.
I really think that when you don’t have a “must watch” starting pitcher, it is hard to get up for a game or team

I get it. Different voices for everyone. I will say the Mets announcers do understand baseball and you can see it with their break downs.
Agree with this. Darling is one of the best in really explaining the game and pitching. Keit, while he does love himself- he can really break down hitting and if he wants to talk fielding- every baseball fan should listen.
There aren't many fielders who changed games with how they played and he was one of them.

ADVERTISEMENT