ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 Philadelphia Phillies Season And Post Season Thread

I've been waiting for Stubbs to get more playing time,admittedly a very difficult thing to do given JT's past and huge contract.

Last edited:
For me, it'd be a "If you want Hoskins, you have to take Didi" deal.

I don't think you want to get rid of them for the sake of getting rid of them. I want some legit pieces back. Certainly for Hoskins.

I'd be surprised if Hoskins is traded since it will be hard to come up with a match. What team needs a bad defensive 1b/DH type and has bullpen pieces to give back and wants acquire a player like that that has only 1 year of arbitration eligibility left? Right now that team doesn't exist.

I'd be surprised if Hoskins is traded since it will be hard to come up with a match. What team needs a bad defensive 1b/DH type and has bullpen pieces to give back and wants acquire a player like that that has only 1 year of arbitration eligibility left? Right now that team doesn't exist.
This was my point as well. Sure, he feels like a nice trade piece, but in reality, he's probably not valuable at all on the trade market.

Stott can play as well as DD.

For Hoskins, any stick on the team.

Remember I'd be expecting a good prospect for Hoskins and a lottery ticket for DD or a BP piece.
Is Stott the guy you want being your fulltime SS?

Is Stott the guy you want being your fulltime SS?
Think he can be a solid to above average contributor for some years once he gets settled in. Maybe not a star but can do more than enough on a contending team. Keep in mind this is his 1st full year above AA. He started last year in high A, then moved to AA and AAA during the year.

The Good Phight had a good article on him before this season, comping him to Dansby Swanson which I'd take. From that article:

The player that Stott reminds me of is Dansby Swanson from the Braves. Swanson isn’t the flashiest player, not clearing the 100 wRC+ hurdle but once in his career. What he does do is stay on the field, giving the team solid, but not spectacular, defense at the shortstop position, and not requiring the team to make a huge financial outlay at that spot. He’s just giving them solid production across the board. 2021 was his best season, hitting .248/.311/.449, swatting 27 home runs and registering 3.2 fWAR on the season. It’s a good season on a team that needed it.

Ask yourself: if Bryson Stott were able to give numbers like this, maybe not as much power, maybe a bit better on base ability, would you take it? Of course you would! It’s not superstar level good, but it’s also extremely productive.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Intelligent play by Phillies 3b coach Dusty Wathan last night who sent Hoskins home from 2nd on a single even though he knew the throw would beat him because he knew interference would be called.

from https://theathletic.com/3371955/2022/06/18/phillies-winning-rob-thomson/

As the third-base coach waved home the eventual winning run Friday night, he yelled at him, “You’re going to be out!”

“That’s a first,” third-base coach Dusty Wathan said. “But he’s safe now.”

Wathan knew the rule. He had to send Hoskins, and he yelled at him to keep running no matter how dumb it looked.

Hoskins can use a day off but in the middle of a hot streak? Strange.

Harper will just PH a 3R HR. No worries.
you are most likely right. lol

Man- it has to be frustrating as hell to have your team going through an insanely good couple of weeks and while catching a few games on the Met's, not enough and to have the Braves just keep winning too.

Reactions: RUScrew85
This one was won in spite of Thomson.

1.Letting Hand pitch to a righty after the three batter minimum.
2.Not hitting Harper for Nick or even for JT.To hit for Odubel would have required Hoskins to play in the outfield,JT to first and Stubbs to catch.

Rosters really need to be expanded to 28 players or even 30.

you are most likely right. lol

Man- it has to be frustrating as hell to have your team going through an insanely good couple of weeks and while catching a few games on the Met's, not enough and to have the Braves just keep winning too.

Ya know what. I enjoy the fact they are fun to watch and are playing great. I don't focus so much on being the Champion (I'm a Rutgers fan, remember) everyone is going to lose except one team eventually.

Just seeing them not be terrible is fun. Enjoyable, very entertaining baseball is good enough.

Unless they regress a lot they are likely to win 90-95 games. I'll take that.

And as much as I liked Girardi - at some point he has to look at the Phils and consider if he isn't a really shitty manager.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Don’t look at the standings, just keep winning. I believe NYM will come back to the pack, and when they do we need to be there.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Thanks to Fauci,Mark Appel,the No.1 pick overall in the 2013 MLB draft,will be in uniform tonight at Petco Park.
Appel got there only because set up man,well vaccinated Connor Brogdon,has again caught COVID.

Thanks to Fauci,Mark Appel,the No.1 pick overall in the 2013 MLB draft,will be in uniform tonight at Petco Park.
Appel got there only because set up man,well vaccinated Connor Brogdon,has again caught COVID.
It's all part of Fauci's plan to get drafted and play for the Phillies! Call up Sister Mary!!!!

Looks like Harper is done for a while. Looked like he got his hand broken on a HBP.

Phils gonna Phils.

Last edited:
You could tell that Harper knew the damage almost immediately. I never like when MLB top players are out for extended periods on something like this.

Should they shut Bryce down, get the elbow fixed, and hope with that surgery he’s back for the start of 2023 playing RF? Even if he’s back for August, I don’t think the Phils will be in it by then.

That was a brutal pitch. Harper made sure pitcher Snell knew that he did not think he was hit intentionally. Interesting stat on him.

He was just ripping at the plate this year.

As for his Snell thing - he's really surprised me as a good guy since we signed him. I really thought he was a jackass but he's not.

Should they shut Bryce down, get the elbow fixed, and hope with that surgery he’s back for the start of 2023 playing RF? Even if he’s back for August, I don’t think the Phils will be in it by then.

Good points - and from that, maybe be sellers at the deadline? Trade Realmuto, DD, Hoskins, maybe a SP. I think they can get a pretty good haul. They have catching talent in the minors.

He was just ripping at the plate this year.

As for his Snell thing - he's really surprised me as a good guy since we signed him. I really thought he was a jackass but he's not.
Have many Phillies been hit by pitches this year? It's ridiculous for the Mets. Pitchers are complaining that gripping the ball has become more difficult without sticky substances, but who knows what the issue is.

Have many Phillies been hit by pitches this year? It's ridiculous for the Mets. Pitchers are complaining that gripping the ball has become more difficult without sticky substances, but who knows what the issue is.

Doesn't seem to be more than normal.

Maybe that Rancocas Creek mud is losing it's grip?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Good points - and from that, maybe be sellers at the deadline? Trade Realmuto, DD, Hoskins, maybe a SP. I think they can get a pretty good haul. They have catching talent in the minors.
I don’t think trading Hoskins is smart. I do agree with the others. Maybe add Gibson as the SP.

I don’t think trading Hoskins is smart. I do agree with the others. Maybe add Gibson as the SP.
Plenty of guys can hit 35 HRs and bat .240 in the world. He's got value and we could get a pretty good return for him. Plus I think this is his last year of arb so he's going to get much more expensive soon. Move one of our 6 other DH/1B guys there and get a guy who can actually play OF.

I was thinking Gibson too.

Plenty of guys can hit 35 HRs and bat .240 in the world. He's got value and we could get a pretty good return for him. Plus I think this is his last year of arb so he's going to get much more expensive soon. Move one of our 6 other DH/1B guys there and get a guy who can actually play OF.

I was thinking Gibson too.
Reread your first two sentences, but from the lense of the buyer, not the seller. I think Hoskins has a lot less value than you think he does.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
Reread your first two sentences, but from the lense of the buyer, not the seller. I think Hoskins has a lot less value than you think he does.

Really? And yeah I see your point on the contradiction.

ADVERTISEMENT