ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2023 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Celebrate Ny Mets GIF by New York Mets

Reactions: gmay8
Just for sh1ts and giggles, I offer you the Mets Top 10 prospects of 2017, per MLB Pipeline:

1) Amed Rosario
2) Dominic Smith
3) Justin Dunn
4) Thomas Szapucki
5) Robert Gsellman
6) Desmond Lindsey
7) Gavin Cecchini
8) Brandon Nimmo
9) Andres Gimenez
10) Pete Alonso

That's right. Three guys who will undoubtedly be in the MLB Top 60 right now, were prospects 8-9-and 10 in the Mets organization. Behind a couple of guys who are no longer in organized ball.

Goes to show you never can tell.

Just for sh1ts and giggles, I offer you the Mets Top 10 prospects of 2017, per MLB Pipeline:

1) Amed Rosario
2) Dominic Smith
3) Justin Dunn
4) Thomas Szapucki
5) Robert Gsellman
6) Desmond Lindsey
7) Gavin Cecchini
8) Brandon Nimmo
9) Andres Gimenez
10) Pete Alonso

That's right. Three guys who will undoubtedly be in the MLB Top 60 right now, were prospects 8-9-and 10 in the Mets organization. Behind a couple of guys who are no longer in organized ball.

Baseball is the most difficult of all the major sports to assess prospects.

Baseball is the most difficult of all the major sports to assess prospects.
So true. If you can shoot a basketball in college, you can probably do it in the NBA. If you are a dominant blocker in college, you will probably be at least a serviceable blocker in the NFL. But the ability to hit minor league pitching is not predictive of MLB success.

Glad this isn't to our concern anymore.

Jacob deGrom has some soreness in his left side and pushed back his throwing session from today until Thursday.​

So it begins. The Rangers said pushing the session back a day was also about some cold and wet conditions today. Obviously, the team thinks everything is fine if he's still planning to throw tomorrow. However, when it comes to deGrom, everything will be monitored very closely.

Please accept my above edit. Denying him the attention that he craves is difficult. But we must try.
A reason I don't post in the Mets threads is too many people engage and argue with these losers. Did you ever notice that discussions with most Phillies fans are fairly cordial?

Last edited:
A reason I don't post in the Mets threads is too many people engage and argue with these losers. Did you ever notice that discussions withost Phillies fans are fairly cordial?
This year- I will do my best to ignore them. But you are 100% right...the Phillies fans are a lot more fun. Even when they may bust our balls- it reminds me more of running into a cool tailgate group that is for the other school...have beers together and bust each other balls.

1) Amed Rosario
2) Dominic Smith
3) Justin Dunn
4) Thomas Szapucki
5) Robert Gsellman
6) Desmond Lindsey
7) Gavin Cecchini
8) Brandon Nimmo
9) Andres Gimenez
10) Pete Alonso

Even with the top heavy- when you have 6-8 of your top 10 in any year get some decent time up at the sow, it is pretty darn good.
This group has Alonso and Nimmo at the top but obviously, Rosario and Gimenez are pretty good too. Smith, Gsellman- played quite a bit and a couple of others that at least made it. That is actually a pretty kick ass class.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
This year- I will do my best to ignore them. But you are 100% right...the Phillies fans are a lot more fun. Even when they may bust our balls- it reminds me more of running into a cool tailgate group that is for the other school...have beers together and bust each other balls.
I put several Mets fans on ignore who continually bicker with losers and clog up the thread. Done with this.

What's the starting rotation looking like? I have not kept up.

Scherzer
Verlander
Senga
Quintana
Carrasco
I guess I am pretty far out of touch. I see the Mets lost Walker to Philly. Do you guys agree with this guy's assessment on losing walker and gaining Quintana?

I knew about Senga. Should be interesting to see how he does in MLB:

Jacob deGrom has some soreness in his left side and pushed back his throwing session from today until Thursday.​

So it begins. The Rangers said pushing the session back a day was also about some cold and wet conditions today. Obviously, the team thinks everything is fine if he's still planning to throw tomorrow. However, when it comes to deGrom, everything will be monitored very closely.
Yep - about another 2 year contract was all I had the stomach for

I guess I am pretty far out of touch. I see the Mets lost Walker to Philly. Do you guys agree with this guy's assessment on losing walker and gaining Quintana?

I knew about Senga. Should be interesting to see how he does in MLB:

I would have put Quintana more as a replacement for Bassitt but if Senga proves to be a good number 3…then we have a hell of a 5 man rotation and Peterson/McGill as next guys up. Can’t complain about the starters. And I also think RP is a step up this year too.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I would have put Quintana more as a replacement for Bassitt but if Senga proves to be a good number 3…then we have a hell of a 5 man rotation and Peterson/McGill as next guys up. Can’t complain about the starters. And I also think RP is a step up this year too.
Think letting deGrom walk will ultimately seen as a smart move if he wanted 6 years.
I'm really out of the loop. Guess Bassitt walked too. I'm not much of an off-season or hot stove kind of a baseball fan.

Reactions: megadrone
Think letting deGrom walk will ultimately seen as a smart move if he wanted 6 years.
I'm really out of the loop. Guess Bassitt walked too. I'm not much of an off-season or hot stove kind of a baseball fan.
If we could have signed deGrom to a 3 year deal- I would have been all for it. But there is no way to offer a 5-6 year deal. And I wanted him a Met for life and feel he has at least 1 more CY in him.
With that said- Verlander is actually the safer bet. Recently with TJ but came back strong. I would think we get 3 quality to great years from him.
I just don’t see a single position we down graded. Escobar will be more consistent all year, catcher is better even if still not great offensively but solid on D and guys a staff like this can trust.
And as good as Alonso was, I think he has better in him. Need to keep Marte healthy all year…if we didn’t lose him the last month- easy extra 2 wins.
Lindor had a great bounce back year and we loved him but it wasn’t even close to what he can do. But if this is his normal type year for the next 5-6, his number will be retired here.
Bullpen- on paper, so much better even if we may need one more but we also start the year with Peterson and Megill in there and then Ottovini, Robertson, Diaz
Can’t be unhappy going into the year and we didn’t give up a single top prospect.

Alex Ramirez will probably start out at Brooklyn
And I think Kevin Parada and Jett Williams will finish up in Brooklyn. So there's a chance that you could see the Mets #3, 4, and 5 prospects at a Brooklyn game this season.

#41 to #100 of MLB Network's Top 100 Players Right Now have been announced. Mets well represented this far;

#45 - Jeff McNeil
#51 - Edwin Diaz
#54 - Brandon Nimmo
#61 - Starling Marte

Still to be heard from: Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Pete Alonso, and Francisco Lindor.

Reactions: Morrischiano
As much as I loved deGrom and wish him well, we dodged a major bullet. Hated holding my breath after everyone of his starts. LGM

Reactions: fg7321
And I think Kevin Parada and Jett Williams will finish up in Brooklyn. So there's a chance that you could see the Mets #3, 4, and 5 prospects at a Brooklyn game this season.
I think Ramirez and Parada will probably start the year in Brooklyn. Jett as you said could get their 2nd half if he performs well in St. Lucie. Some players that will rise in our system this year like Lugo, Perozo, Tillien, Smith, Estep.

You should also have a parade of our SPs start and come through. Tidwell, Ziegler, Vasil, Hamel, Diaz, Santos.

Once they start assigning players later in Spring Training I can give you a more definitive list.

I was just going to post this. He is made of glass.

Imagine the fanbase that wanted us to sign him and mocked us for letting our best pitcher walk. Now imagine the posts we'd be flooded with now,lol.
I think 90% of the fanbase wanted to keep him here on a very short contract. And no one cried when he left for a 5/6 year deal.
And all pain went away when we signed JV for a short deal to replace him. 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT