ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official NFL Draft First Four Pick Speculation Thread

EXCLUSIVE
TROY AIKMAN ON JOSH ROSEN'THROWS AS WELL AS ANYONE I'VE EVER SEEN'
Aikmen is bucking for the Jon Gruden "Give Effusive Praise About Everyone" Award. Plus it's one UCLA QB praising another UCLA QB. I think Rosen would benefit with another year in college.

The list of junior QBs coming out and blowing the doors off the NFL is short. Aikmen sucked his first 2 years in the NFL, but obviously developed.

Last edited:
With the Giants going to a 3-4 defense, I don't see them taking Chubb as he probably isn't big enough to play DE in that type of defense. Some talk about Oliver Vernon being the rush LB so that then would not be a position for Chubb. If I'm Gettleman, I'm on the phone with teams asking if the Browns select............(insert name) what will you give us to move up to number 2?
Browns take Darnold his pro day in the rain/wind (Cleveland type weather) is the convincer
Giants wanted Darnold so trade down, with that team taking Rosen
Jets wanted Darnold or Rosen settle for Allen with the idea he'll get a developmental year. May turn out to be the best of the 4qbs. His receivers at Wyoming had concrete hands and ran like they were on ice.
Browns take Barkley and Steeler fans get worried their rival will no longer be a pushover.

With the Giants going to a 3-4 defense, I don't see them taking Chubb as he probably isn't big enough to play DE in that type of defense. Some talk about Oliver Vernon being the rush LB so that then would not be a position for Chubb. If I'm Gettleman, I'm on the phone with teams asking if the Browns select............(insert name) what will you give us to move up to number 2?
Browns take Darnold his pro day in the rain/wind (Cleveland type weather) is the convincer
Giants wanted Darnold so trade down, with that team taking Rosen
Jets wanted Darnold or Rosen settle for Allen with the idea he'll get a developmental year. May turn out to be the best of the 4qbs. His receivers at Wyoming had concrete hands and ran like they were on ice.
Browns take Barkley and Steeler fans get worried their rival will no longer be a pushover.
If the Browns want a qb and Barkley and if they havevtheb3 qbs rated fairly equal the move would be to take Barkley 1 and whichever of the 3 qbs is left at 4.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports teams have concerns with UCLA QB Josh Rosen's commitment level.

"The thing that bothers me with him is that football's not the priority," an offensive coordinator said. "That drives me nuts. That's like taking somebody you're going to bank your next 12 years on, and you're going to have to convince that guy football's the most important thing in his life." Several teams also referenced UCLA coach Jim Mora's comments that Rosen "needs to be challenged" as a red flag. Rosen has the most complete package of the top four quarterbacks, but off-field character has him as a fringe top-10 pick.

Reactions: MorrisAsh
NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports teams have concerns with UCLA QB Josh Rosen's commitment level.

"The thing that bothers me with him is that football's not the priority," an offensive coordinator said. "That drives me nuts. That's like taking somebody you're going to bank your next 12 years on, and you're going to have to convince that guy football's the most important thing in his life." Several teams also referenced UCLA coach Jim Mora's comments that Rosen "needs to be challenged" as a red flag. Rosen has the most complete package of the top four quarterbacks, but off-field character has him as a fringe top-10 pick.
I've heard best pure pocket passer, but not near the athlete as the others.

But the concerns about dedication plus the concussions? I'd look at the other options.

Well, they did just sign a super professional and good LT which ends up helping the LG as well. And while Nelson sounds like a can't miss...you dont take a OG at 2 or 5...Wouldn't take Chubb there either...maybe Chubb at 5 but not Nelson. One thing for sure...Giants have their full poker face on for this draft.
But if you can turn that #2 pick into the #5 plus a bunch of other picks, maybe it is OK to reach for a gaurd at that spot.

Crazy that Rosen having interests outside of football is a red flag, but Mayfield being arrested and running from cops off the field isn’t.

I wanted Rosen for the Jets but Woody is friends with Trump and Josh may have burnt that bridge with his F Trump hat.

Crazy that Rosen having interests outside of football is a red flag, but Mayfield being arrested and running from cops off the field isn’t.
That's a red flag as well. Both guys will still be drafted pretty high.

This is as crazy a draft (at the top at least) as I ever recall. Normally the top few picks are fairly predictable. Here there is no consensus even at #1. One 49ers exec, picking ninth, said they ran the possible scenarios leading up to their pick and came up with about 50.

Take Josh Allen for instance. Could go #1, could fall out of the top ten.

Current chatter is Browns are deciding between Allen and Mayfield. I think that is a smokescreen and they take Darnold, followed by Barkley, Mayfield, Chubb, and Rosen.

I wanted Rosen for the Jets but Woody is friends with Trump and Josh may have burnt that bridge with his F Trump hat.
I like Rosen the most out of the top 4 QBs, but have concerns about his history with concussions. Since his father is a doctor and he clearly has interests outside of football, I wouldn’t be shocked if he has a short career even if he plays well.

I can’t put anything past Woody given he is the ultimate ass clown, but not drafting a QB because of politics would take the cake.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I think your analogy doesn't work because you have to consider the two recent concussions Rosen sustained in the judgement of him. It can cynically be looked at an admission that even the die hard football people know deep down that someone would be crazy to risk their brain health playing football if they didn't have to, and since Rosen's interests and family background show he doesn't have to, he is a risk.

1. Browns take Mayfield
2. Giants trade pick, new team takes Darnold
3. Jets take Rosen
4. Browns trade pick, new team takes Barkley

Looks like Baker Mayfield goes number one.

I pray that the Giants take Darnold #2. The Jets would then take Allen at 3 and Browns go Saquan at #4. That would be a dream start to the draft for the Browns and the Giants.

I can see Rosen dropping to Buffalo with the #12 pick.

All the draft "experts", sports talk show guys, Las Vegas, etc, now say the Browns are taking Mayfield. Would guess the Giants would take Sam Darnold--think they said something to that effect weeks ago. Jets take Rosen, who will be fine in NY. He may have a better career than Darnold, though some worry about his durability. He's Jewish, and has mentioned some anti-semitism from some of the college players he faced, but being Jewish is an asset in New York. 4-Browns take Chubb or Barkley.
TL

Bumping this thread.

Seems like the Browns did a good job with the #1 & #4 picks.

I’m pretty happy with the Giants pick at #2.

Wondering if Jets fans are happy with Darnold after a year..,,

Oh, the Rosen love seems to be unfounded. The guy is an afterthought and is the 5th best QB out of this draft.

Bumping this thread.

Oh, the Rosen love seems to be unfounded. The guy is an afterthought and is the 5th best QB out of this draft.
He's also playing behind the worst offensive line in the NFL.

He's also playing behind the worst offensive line in the NFL.

Not for the first half of the season. Nobody was worse than the Giants.

Some still might argue the Giants should have gone QB. But there is no doubt in my mind that the Giants got the 2nd best, if not THE best, player in the draft.

Reactions: dgrbic
Bumping this thread.

Not a Jets fan but I would think they're fine. Darnold showed off last weekend and showed his upside.

Not for the first half of the season. Nobody was worse than the Giants.

Some still might argue the Giants should have gone QB. But there is no doubt in my mind that the Giants got the 2nd best, if not THE best, player in the draft.
Pro Football Focus would disagree with you. Believe me, I know how bad
the Giants OL sucked.

Rosen's season shouldn't be considered a failure, his first Card OC was let go because his offense stunk up the stadium and this new OC is doing on the job training because this is his first OC position. The ( soon to be ex) HC is defensive minded and no help offensively .
Then you have an OL that can't stay healthy along with most of the starters journeymen at best.

Josh has a lot to overcome in order to look like he's the talent he once was supposed to be.
He's a competitor, so outside interests won't affect his play, just how people look at him and claim it does.
His two concussions he suffered during the 2017 season while at UCLA is a concern , especially if Arizona don't fix their OL for the 2019 season. 2018 is just about over and the Cards have proven to be overal devoid of talent except for a few stars on the roster.
I consider Rosen a talent that has been wasted this year because of how bad the offensive players surrounding and supposed to be protecting him are along with starting of with a underwhelming OC calling the plays when Josh was first put in , then the next OC having to learn on the job with an inferior OL protecting the QB and the star RB not preforming as expected.

Bumping this thread.

Jets fan here. When they traded three #2's (including one this coming draft) to move up from Pick 6 to Pick 3, I hated it. As I felt there was no clearcut favorite among the top four QB's, I'd have preferred they just take whomever fell to them. Which could have been Darnold. We will never know.

But given that they did make the trade, I am very happy with the selection and progression of Darnold.

Revisiting this thread.

Seems like neither Sam Darnold nor Saquan Barkley are having the impact they were expected to have going into their 3rd season.

One thing that I did nail is that Josh Rosen was going to be a huge bust.

Reactions: Plum Street
Revisiting this thread.

Seems like neither Sam Darnold nor Saquan Barkley are having the impact they were expected to have going into their 3rd season.

Good thing the Giants got it right in 19 😁

Revisiting this thread.

Except I would say that it's definitely not Barkley's fault, particularly in the short 2020 season, and in no way wholely to blame on Darnold. Barkley was averaging 4-5 yards per carry AFTER CONTACT this season and Darnold doesn't have a whole lot of clean pockets.

As a Giants fan, I hope they trade down because I do not love any of the QB's and I do not believe Barkley will be great. Good but not worthy of top 3 pick. Too many college teams were able to contain him. Trade down, go for linemen, maybe if one of the good QB's is still there, take him

This guy for Giants GM. Nailed it

I looked back to see if I posted anything here . I didn’t .
I do remember thinking that darnold was a good pick for the jets at the time . And that the giants shouldn’t have taken a running back at number 2 . Not because I figured Barkley to be bust, but you don’t need to take a running back that high.
It might be too soon to call Barkley a bust like other former penn state guys like Blair Thomas and kijana Carter. But the Barkley bust discussion is fair game right now.

I do remember thinking that darnold was a good pick for the jets at the time . And that the giants shouldn’t have taken a running back at number 2 . Not because I figured Barkley to be bust, but you don’t need to take a running back that high.
It might be too soon to call Barkley a bust like other former penn state guys like Blair Thomas and kijana Carter. But the Barkley bust discussion is fair game right now.

No it's not. Barkley did more in the 1st pro regular season game than Carter did in his entire NFL career and his rookie season was much better than Thomas'.

Rosen's season shouldn't be considered a failure, his first Card OC was let go because his offense stunk up the stadium and this new OC is doing on the job training because this is his first OC position. The ( soon to be ex) HC is defensive minded and no help offensively .
Then you have an OL that can't stay healthy along with most of the starters journeymen at best.

Josh has a lot to overcome in order to look like he's the talent he once was supposed to be.
He's a competitor, so outside interests won't affect his play, just how people look at him and claim it does.
His two concussions he suffered during the 2017 season while at UCLA is a concern , especially if Arizona don't fix their OL for the 2019 season. 2018 is just about over and the Cards have proven to be overal devoid of talent except for a few stars on the roster.
I consider Rosen a talent that has been wasted this year because of how bad the offensive players surrounding and supposed to be protecting him are along with starting of with a underwhelming OC calling the plays when Josh was first put in , then the next OC having to learn on the job with an inferior OL protecting the QB and the star RB not preforming as expected.

This post didn’t age well. Rosen is now on Tampa’s taxi squad, 4th string behind Brady, Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Griffin. One and done in both AZ and Miami.

This post didn’t age well. Rosen is now on Tampa’s taxi squad, 4th string behind Brady, Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Griffin. One and done in both AZ and Miami.

It seems the Cardinals knew right away that he wasn't the guy. They cut bait very early and went all in on Murray.

It seems the Cardinals knew right away that he wasn't the guy. They cut bait very early and went all in on Murray.
Some make it , others prove duds.
I thought Rosen had a chance to prove himself after leaving the Cards.
Only thing he proved was his dropping down in the draft was a smart move by NFL teams despit the claims of Josh having extortionary talent
Card wasted their 10th chopice on him and when had the chance to get Murry, Rosen became dead weight to Arizona.

This is a thread that includes Josh Rosen and you are calling Barkley the bust?????

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
This is a thread that includes Josh Rosen and you are calling Barkley the bust?????

There can be more than 1 bust in a draft.

I wouldn't call Barkley a bust as a player.
The pick (a RB #2 overall for a team with no long term solution at QB) was an immediate bust.

On the other hand:
While Josh Rosen is a bust as a player, the pick wasn't too much of a bust.
Arizona played it perfectly.

They ended up getting the #1 pick the following year and (most importantly) took a player they thought was a future star at QB.
They didn't let the shadow of Rosen stop them from taking Kyler.

And now Kyler is in the MVP discussion early in his 2nd year.

ADVERTISEMENT