ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official PGA Championship thread. At Bethpage Black

They just showed Dustin Johnson in the rough, and taking a drop, and right behind is a dude taking a pee by a tree behind DJ, LOL !

hope you kept the receipt.
Koepka made a very interesting point about how winning a major is easier to him than winning other tourneys because very few guys have the mental strength to do it, so he only has to beat "a few guys."

You look at Rory and see how great he looks in "minors" and wonder if he has lost that mental edge.

Maybe John Daly will be nice enough to pick up Tigers golf bag and take it to his car for him.

Reactions: shields
Maybe John Daly will be nice enough to pick up Tigers golf bag and take it to his car for him.
Are you sure he can lift a bag of clubs? Nothing says pro athlete like smoking and drinking out of a McDonalds x-large cup while playing a round.

Are you sure he can lift a bag of clubs? Nothing says pro athlete like smoking and drinking out of a McDonalds x-large cup while playing a round.
Maybe Tiger will share some of his pills with him.

That’s the new Tiger. It was really a half ass effort. No competitive rounds after the Masters and skipping Wednesday practice. I think he gears up for the Open.

I'm guessing he wasn't 100%, so no surprise he didn't play well. Things are different for him after so many years of being in pain and unable to play. He seems to be a new man, especially after winning the Masters win. I like the new Tiger a lot more than the old Tiger.

https://www.si.com/golf/2019/05/17/...nship-missed-cut-bethpage-black-brooks-koepka

That’s the new Tiger. It was really a half ass effort. No competitive rounds after the Masters and skipping Wednesday practice. I think he gears up for the Open.

I'm guessing he wasn't 100%, so no surprise he didn't play well. Things are different for him after so many years of being in pain and unable to play. He seems to be a new man, especially after winning the Masters win. I like the new Tiger a lot more than the old Tiger.

https://www.si.com/golf/2019/05/17/...nship-missed-cut-bethpage-black-brooks-koepka

What makes you think he wasn’t 100%?

At his age, even a Tiger at 100% can have an off weekend, no?

What makes you think he wasn’t 100%?

At his age, even a Tiger at 100% can have an off weekend, no?
Woods didn't compete in a tournament prior to the PGA and didn't practice on Wednesday saying he was ill.His failure to make the cut will impact attendance on the weekend.

Woods didn't compete in a tournament prior to the PGA and didn't practice on Wednesday saying he was ill.His failure to make the cut will impact attendance on the weekend.
TV ratings might take a hit but attendance no. Sold out. Beautiful forecast. Great venue. And defending champ is playing some awesome golf!

Ratings will get a boost if someone can challenge BK. But it looks like the only question left is how many strokes will BK win by.

Ratings will get a boost if someone can challenge BK. But it looks like the only question left is how many strokes will BK win by.
I also think people will tune in late tomorrow if he can break both the largest margin of victory in a major record (15 strokes by Tiger) and lowest under par record in a major (-20). That would be a phenomenal accomplishment.

Won’t surprise me if Koepka shoots a par round today and comes back to the field a bit.

But I wouldn’t bet on it.

Won’t surprise me if Koepka shoots a par round today and comes back to the field a bit.

But I wouldn’t bet on it.
Good call here. Wonder of DJ is a good pairing for him. DJ said something along the lines of, "If I can shoot five or six under and you can on this course and he shoots two over....." Putting it in his buddies head.

If Brooks somehow loses this tournament, it will be a bucket of ice water over his supreme confidence. Here's to hoping...

Good call here. Wonder of DJ is a good pairing for him. DJ said something along the lines of, "If I can shoot five or six under and you can on this course and he shoots two over....." Putting it in his buddies head.

If Brooks somehow loses this tournament, it will be a bucket of ice water over his supreme confidence. Here's to hoping...
Partial credit. BK shot closer to par but didn’t come back to the field. Has anyone blown this big of a 54 hole lead?

Looks like Koepka is paired with Harold Varner in the final group today. DJ playing with Matsuyama.

BK looks to be the new dominant guy who will intimidate others. Not sure the need to root against him. Lets see what he can do to put himself in the record books.

BK looks to be the new dominant guy who will intimidate others. Not sure the need to root against him. Lets see what he can do to put himself in the record books.
He's actually playing with Harold Varner, not DJ. Was watching Varner on the range when I was out there on Friday. Looks like a homemade swing, one of those guys who can't hit it as pure as any talented club pro but somehow makes a living on tour. Love those guys.

As for Koepka, the tournament is his. Those greens are too easy, he's too powerful, the rough doesn't necessarily stop him and the lead is too big. But rest assured, his Buster Douglas moment is coming. No golfers rides this high and avoids adversity like he has for the last two years.

Partial credit. BK shot closer to par but didn’t come back to the field. Has anyone blown this big of a 54 hole lead?
Norman blew a six shot lead in 96 at Augusta. Rory blew a five shot lead on the front nine at Augusta. Speith blew a five shot lead on the back nine at Augusta. This isn't Augusta. He isn't one of those guys. Closed out all of his majors like a champ, so far.

I just don't see him losing total control of his driver and that's what would need to happen today. He's so strong that half the time he's in the rough he can still hit greens. The greens are flat as pancakes so it's hard to three putt and make doubles out there. Always a chance someone shoots 63 and he shoots one or two over...but more likely he wins by at least the margin he goes in there with.

The only thing that stops Koepka today is Keopka. If he plays even just ok and shoots around par, he wins, because nobody at -5 is shooting 63 on a windy day. I will say this, though - some players get uncomfortable in wind and with 15-20 mph winds this afternoon, that's the one thing that could get in Keopka's head (especially if the wind wrecks a really good shot and leads to a bad hole, like a double bogey - it can get in your head - even the pros) and cause him to shoot +3 or +4. If he does that and one of his pursuers shoots 67, we have a ballgame.

I'm expecting him to win by at least 5 strokes, though, but stranger things have happened in this world, but not in the world of golf, i.e., nobody has ever blown a 7-stroke 54 hole lead in a major or even a PGA tour event. Norman's 6-stroke lead collapse against Faldo is the biggest major debacle ever.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/20...54-hole-leads-mens-major-championship-history

DJ is on fire (-3 today) and has cut the lead to 4 strokes after the front nine. Keopka is playing decently at even par, but certainly is playing a bit conservatively. Winds are tough right now. It's not over yet.

ADVERTISEMENT