ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official PGA Championship thread. At Bethpage Black

4 up with 9 to play, it’s over.
7 up with 18 to play to 4 up with 9 to play and it's now over? C'mon. Sure Koepka is still a big favorite, but on this course, in these conditions, all it takes is one bad hole to make this a horse race.

Although that gap wedge from 165 to less than a foot was amazing. About to go back up 5 strokes...

Not much drama with it being a run away, also with Tiger missing the cut, the Sunday TV ratings will be way down. But the fans had 4 beautiful days to watch the best struggle against a very tough course. Koepka is the new shining Golf Superstar w 4 Majors in only 2 years. Incredible.

For those casual fans Koepka played his college golf at Fla. St, lives in West Palm Beach, his brother Chase is or was a pro golfer, won 4 amature events and turned pro in 2012 playing some minor tours, winning about 12 times. Today will be only his 6th PGA win and 4 are Majors !!! Wow

Full info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Koepka

Two straight bogeys by Koepka. Back to a 4-stroke lead after 12. And Koepka in trouble on 13. It ain't over yet.

Three straight bogeys and the lead is down to 3 through 14 for DJ and 13 for Koepka. First time it's been this close since early in round two.

DJ birdies , now only a 2 stroke lead, w plenty of holes to go.

Fans are lubed up and ready to roar ! lol

DJ from South Carolina, went to school at Coastal Carolina near Myrtle Beach. I'll be in Charleston this week for our 25th anniversary. I'll ask about him lol.

And his GF or wife is Paulina Gretsky, as everyone knows. I think his brother is his caddy.

Damn hope K holds on. Hate to see anyone lose with the collapse he'd have to have to lose it.

The wheels have officially come off. Koepka airmails 14, hits a poor chip and bogeys his fourth straight hole to drop to -9, one stroke ahead of DJ. Wow.

Oh boy DJ. Dreadful.
Yeah, those last two bogeys killed his chance of winning and he's in trouble on 18, so Koepka with a 3-shot lead and two holes left is just about a lock. Made it far more interesting than most of us thought it would be.

7 up with 18 to play to 4 up with 9 to play and it's now over? C'mon. Sure Koepka is still a big favorite, but on this course, in these conditions, all it takes is one bad hole to make this a horse race.

Although that gap wedge from 165 to less than a foot was amazing. About to go back up 5 strokes...
Told you it was over. LOL.

Attendance was great. Congrats to now world number 1 Koepka. Great performance!

The only thing that stops Koepka today is Keopka. If he plays even just ok and shoots around par, he wins, because nobody at -5 is shooting 63 on a windy day. I will say this, though - some players get uncomfortable in wind and with 15-20 mph winds this afternoon, that's the one thing that could get in Keopka's head (especially if the wind wrecks a really good shot and leads to a bad hole, like a double bogey - it can get in your head - even the pros) and cause him to shoot +3 or +4. If he does that and one of his pursuers shoots 67, we have a ballgame.

I'm expecting him to win by at least 5 strokes, though, but stranger things have happened in this world, but not in the world of golf, i.e., nobody has ever blown a 7-stroke 54 hole lead in a major or even a PGA tour event. Norman's 6-stroke lead collapse against Faldo is the biggest major debacle ever.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/20...54-hole-leads-mens-major-championship-history
Is Keopka really able to stop Koepka? Clearly he didn’t have the game.

Is Keopka really able to stop Koepka? Clearly he didn’t have the game.
Not many had any game the last two days. This course drained everyone physically and mentally. I'm guessing the final round average was +6 with just a few under par. Congrats to Koepka. The guy is on fire

Last edited:
Tourney reminds me of something John McEnroe said, "You don't realize how hard it is to win majors when you're young. That's why its so hard to win majors when you get older, you know how hard they are to win."

Yes Koepka won but it's the first one that he's admitted was hard, that he was breaking down, the wheels were off.... Now if he can come right back and win another one this year, then he really might be the next great one. But between McIlroy, Spieth and DJ...all have experienced the sunday meltdowns and were never the same on Sundays. If Koepka is tougher than most, he'll leave BPB with little scar tissue and keep on winning. Or, he's like everyone else and will never be quite as confident....we'll see.

But hats off to the guy. Four majors in eight events....just wow.

Tourney reminds me of something John McEnroe said, "You don't realize how hard it is to win majors when you're young. That's why its so hard to win majors when you get older, you know how hard they are to win."

Yes Koepka won but it's the first one that he's admitted was hard, that he was breaking down, the wheels were off.... Now if he can come right back and win another one this year, then he really might be the next great one. But between McIlroy, Spieth and DJ...all have experienced the sunday meltdowns and were never the same on Sundays. If Koepka is tougher than most, he'll leave BPB with little scar tissue and keep on winning. Or, he's like everyone else and will never be quite as confident....we'll see.

But hats off to the guy. Four majors in eight events....just wow.
4 in the last 8 is remarkable. I don't think the average fan realize how hard that course was and what it takes out of you after 4 days.

4 in the last 8 is remarkable. I don't think the average fan realize how hard that course was and what it takes out of you after 4 days.
I agree. Yesterday was much more about Bethpage Black than it was about Koepka or any other individual player. That course was showing its teeth in a big way yesterday. Only hole I put a bit on Koepka was the par 3 14th where he airmailed the green and hit a rushed chip. Otherwise, the other bogeys were just a result of a tough course playing as tough as it can.

Think about this...the only active players with more majors than BK are Tiger (15) and Phil (5). BK has established himself as the dominant force in today's game.

Yes. To that point only 1 guy on the wrong side of 40 among the top 25 finishers (Kuchar and he just turned 40).

Nantz commented right after the win that the only players that have won 4 out of 8 majors were Nicklaus, Palmer, Hogan, Woods (twice) and now Koepka (iirc). That's pretty rare company. Was also impressed that either Nantz happened to know that (the guy does know golf, so it's possible) or someone had already done that research and fed it to Nantz with perfect timing.

Nantz commented right after the win that the only players that have won 4 out of 8 majors were Nicklaus, Palmer, Hogan, Woods (twice) and now Koepka (iirc). That's pretty rare company. Was also impressed that either Nantz happened to know that (the guy does know golf, so it's possible) or someone had already done that research and fed it to Nantz with perfect timing.
Heard yesterday on Dan Patrick Show that he is the only golfer to hold 2 back to back majors at the same time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT