ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official Separate Hurricane Jose Thread

If you haven't done so already, now would be a good time to throw down some grass seed with light rain in the forecast for the next few days. As a fyi for those interested in a more organic lawn, I mixed in 10% microclover seed with my traditional grass seed mix. Microclover is a dwarf, non-flowering variety. Clover increases soil health and reduces synthetic fertilizer need by fixing atmospheric nitrogen to the soil.

I don't want to get this thread off topic, but I couldn't find the Irma thread. Quick question for #s and Real. How much of the weather, if any, that we experienced over the weekend were the remnants of Irma? It certainly felt a little tropical on Saturday.

I don't want to get this thread off topic, but I couldn't find the Irma thread. Quick question for #s and Real. How much of the weather, if any, that we experienced over the weekend were the remnants of Irma? It certainly felt a little tropical on Saturday.

The system's remnants were the dominant synoptic feature over the weekend, so you could safely say that the weather we got was what was left of Irma, although it's a tad more complex than that.

It's noteworthy, though, that there really wasn't much left. It never actually rained, here.

On the subject of Jose - the 11AM NHC update will probably be the last. Jose has been observed as transitioning to extratropical.

If you haven't done so already, now would be a good time to throw down some grass seed with light rain in the forecast for the next few days. As a fyi for those interested in a more organic lawn, I mixed in 10% microclover seed with my traditional grass seed mix. Microclover is a dwarf, non-flowering variety. Clover increases soil health and reduces synthetic fertilizer need by fixing atmospheric nitrogen to the soil.
I was just thinking about when would be the best time to put grass seed down this fall. Where do you pick up the microclover seed? And what do you use for traditional grass seed?

I was just thinking about when would be the best time to put grass seed down this fall. Where do you pick up the microclover seed? And what do you use for traditional grass seed?
I looked locally for microclover, but couldn't find any, so I resorted to internet shopping. I used Outside pride. If you have amazon prime, you'll get free 2 day shipping. Good price. Good reviews. http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/clover-seed/miniclover.html

As far a grass, I'm not fancy. Used a regular mix of what you'd get from Lowes/Home Depot. Mostly rye, w/ some fescue and bluegrass. I also covered the seeds with a thin layer of compost. I make my own.

I'm not looking to win any prizes, but I do want a chemical free, low maintenance lawn with healthy soil, and less watering.

I looked locally for microclover, but couldn't find any, so I resorted to internet shopping. I used Outside pride. If you have amazon prime, you'll get free 2 day shipping. Good price. Good reviews. http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/clover-seed/miniclover.html

As far a grass, I'm not fancy. Used a regular mix of what you'd get from Lowes/Home Depot. Mostly rye, w/ some fescue and bluegrass. I also covered the seeds with a thin layer of compost. I make my own.

I'm not looking to win any prizes, but I do want a chemical free, low maintenance lawn with healthy soil, and less watering.

I've got to reseed the back area that I cleared out over the last couple of years, 'cause it's thinned out some. However, I have one little section which completely died out over the last 2 weeks. If I didn't know better, I'd guess someone poisoned it. It's a very distinct 2' x 3' area of new grass I put in back in June, bordered by 2 small trees and the rock wall extension I built at the same time. The grass/weed growth in the bed of one of the trees also all died. Not sure what to do with that, because I don't know what could cause the grass to just wither and die like it did.

The system's remnants were the dominant synoptic feature over the weekend, so you could safely say that the weather we got was what was left of Irma, although it's a tad more complex than that.

It's noteworthy, though, that there really wasn't much left. It never actually rained, here.

On the subject of Jose - the 11AM NHC update will probably be the last. Jose has been observed as transitioning to extratropical.

I was just going to say that the weather was the Dominant Synoptic feature of my weekend too.

I've got to reseed the back area that I cleared out over the last couple of years, 'cause it's thinned out some. However, I have one little section which completely died out over the last 2 weeks. If I didn't know better, I'd guess someone poisoned it. It's a very distinct 2' x 3' area of new grass I put in back in June, bordered by 2 small trees and the rock wall extension I built at the same time. The grass/weed growth in the bed of one of the trees also all died. Not sure what to do with that, because I don't know what could cause the grass to just wither and die like it did.
Wish I could help you diagnose the specific problem, but I may be able to offer a general solution. Compost and/or compost tea is always my go to for plant/soil problems. The fungi, bacteria, and organic matter in compost help support the soil food web and in turn, strengthens the plants immunity and ability to extract nutrients from the soil. White dutch clover or microclover mixed with grass seed (or all by itself) should establish itself as long as your soil is healthy.

Last edited:
Maybe Grubs? I had them one year, and I was able to pick up the grass like an outdoor carpet.There were no roots left.

Wish I could help you diagnose the specific problem, but I may be able to offer a general solution. Compost and/or compost tea is always my go to for plant/soil problems. The fungi, bacteria, and organic matter in compost help support the soil food web and in turn, strengthens the plants immunity and ability to extract nutrients from the soil. White dutch clover or microclover mixed with grass seed (or all by itself) should establish itself as long as your soil is healthy.
My big concern is these fools our townhouse association employs as landscapers sprayed something in that area and caused that. All I know is that the grass started dying shortly after their signs appeared for having applied pesticides.
Maybe Grubs? I had them one year, and I was able to pick up the grass like an outdoor carpet.There were no roots left.
No, this is definitely not grub damage: I dealt with that a couple of times with dad's lawn and know the signs of it.

As I mentioned, that was an area I seeded in June: the grass hadn't grown in very thick, but it was a good start and with the fall reseeding I figured I'd have a good base by spring. Now......

My big concern is these fools our townhouse association employs as landscapers sprayed something in that area and caused that. All I know is that the grass started dying shortly after their signs appeared for having applied pesticides.

No, this is definitely not grub damage: I dealt with that a couple of times with dad's lawn and know the signs of it.

As I mentioned, that was an area I seeded in June: the grass hadn't grown in very thick, but it was a good start and with the fall reseeding I figured I'd have a good base by spring. Now......

nutsedge may have taken over that area and they may have put something down to kill it and it does it job quickly and efficiently

Reactions: Knight Shift
Here is the latest from the NWS in Philly:

Good evening, everybody. The latest briefing package for Hurricane Jose and its impacts on NJ and DE can be found here: http://www.weather.gov/media/phi/current_briefing.pdf

The good news for us? The strongest winds stay offshore, so the Tropical Storm Watch has been cancelled. However, that does not mean we are not expecting impacts. Gusty winds and locally heavy rain can be expected for eastern NJ and coastal DE on Tuesday. The biggest impact will be minor coastal flooding tonight through Tuesday, and then the chance for moderate coastal flooding Tuesday evening. Please continue to stay tuned!

Here is the latest from the NWS in Philly:

Good evening, everybody. The latest briefing package for Hurricane Jose and its impacts on NJ and DE can be found here: http://www.weather.gov/media/phi/current_briefing.pdf

The good news for us? The strongest winds stay offshore, so the Tropical Storm Watch has been cancelled. However, that does not mean we are not expecting impacts. Gusty winds and locally heavy rain can be expected for eastern NJ and coastal DE on Tuesday. The biggest impact will be minor coastal flooding tonight through Tuesday, and then the chance for moderate coastal flooding Tuesday evening. Please continue to stay tuned!

Good news? Jose has been a non-event since the beginning. Even the MSM hasn't covered or hyped it.

Good news? Jose has been a non-event since the beginning. Even the MSM hasn't covered or hyped it.

There never was more than an outside possibility of Jose reaching the mainland, but it could have caused a really nasty storm along the Jersey shore. Fortunately, it didn't, and that is the good news that the NWS is referring to.

Reactions: RU_Planning
What are the signs of grub damage?[/QUOT Your lawn has dead spots in usually a circle pattern. When you lift a corner of the grass, it will pull up like out door carpet, with little to no roots left.If you dig a little more, you will see little white grubs that look like small shrimp.[/QUOTE]

From the NHC. A little humor to go with your final update:

Post-Tropical Cyclone Jose Discussion Number 70
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL122017
500 PM AST Fri Sep 22 2017

After 70 advisories, enough is enough. The tropical-storm-force
winds from Jose have finally subsided and moved out of the
southern New England. Thus, the wind hazard to land has decreased,
and this will be the last advisory on Jose since it is already
post-tropical. A slow decay over cold water is forecast while the
low drifts southeastward to southward. The cyclone should
degenerate into a trough within 3 days as forecast by the global
models.