ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official Yankee Hot Stove Talk

What is Cashman up to?
Think his head is getting to big for his hat or hooker.

Is he looking for a yes man like the Mets Alderson wants in his managers?

F- Eric Wedge - no thanks!

Get Donny Baseball and lets go!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/yankee...iew-eric-wedge-manager-opening-195307234.html

Wedge is an interesting candidate, for sure. I'd rather someone with experience, like him, than Boone or Cone.

I think I'm on the opposite side of this board in that I like what Cashman has done since he's consolidated power under stable, rational ownership. I trust that he'll make a good managerial hire.

Wedge is an interesting candidate, for sure. I'd rather someone with experience, like him, than Boone or Cone.

I think I'm on the opposite side of this board in that I like what Cashman has done since he's consolidated power under stable, rational ownership. I trust that he'll make a good managerial hire.
Making a dramatic change in how a baseball team is run doesn't give me a good feeling.
With the changes the Yankees are making who really cares who the manager is? That position is being stripped of power and responsibility.
Obviously Cashman misread that people would be knocking the door down for this job. Now he is going to 3rd string options.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Making a dramatic change in how a baseball team is run doesn't give me a good feeling.
With the changes the Yankees are making who really cares who the manager is? That position is being stripped of power and responsibility.
Obviously Cashman misread that people would be knocking the door down for this job. Now he is going to 3rd string options.
Sadly, this is starting to ring true. The smartest thing Cashman can do now is call Girardi and ask him back. Cashman screwed up. Wedge? A player with no bench experience? Not good.

Probably the best move of all the bad options on the table. But then really, going from Girardi to Thomson. What was the point?
Honestly, it sounds like the players were putting the bad mouth on Girardi. If that's not true, I guess Cash screwed up. It's tough to tell without any leaks on this one and there hasn't been any.

Honestly, it sounds like the players were putting the bad mouth on Girardi. If that's not true, I guess Cash screwed up. It's tough to tell without any leaks on this one and there hasn't been any.
I've heard speculation and rumors about players not liking Girardi, but has anything been directly reported on this? This is a bad situation for Cashman. When they pushed Torre out, the had two no-brainer choices with Girardi and Mattingly. Who do we have this time as solid choices? Anyone hired will be without a resume or a poor resume. Very risky.

Funny how the so called players gripes only started to make the rounds, anonymously, only after the Yankees were getting killed for firing Giradi. Sounds more like Cashman trying to give an excuse for a dumb move.
That move looks worse as he can't get anyone to take the job.
Plenty of great people would love to actually manage the Yankees but no one wants to be Cashmans hand puppet.

Last edited:
Funny how the so called players gripes only started to make the rounds, anonymously, only after the Yankees were getting killed for firing Giradi. Sounds more like Cashman trying to give an excuse for a dumb move.
That move looks worse as he can't get anyone to take the job.
Plenty of great people would love to actually manage the Yankees but no one wants to be Cashmans hand puppet.
Who are these great options that don’t want to work for Cashman? That’s nonsense. We kept Girardi for ten seasons. That’s an eternity in baseball. If anything Cashman has shown he will stick with a guy. Who wouldn’t want to work for a guy like that? Every team in baseball is now using the stats and taking away most of the decision making from the coach. That’s not unique to the Yankees. I think this just came down to the younger guys not loving Girardi. We will see how these guys play next season under someone else.

I wouldn't classify replacing your manager after ten years as dramatic change. Its change, yes, but its not something that is out of the ordinary. The dramatic change came five years ago when they adjusted player development and that has paid dividends handsomely.

As for your belief that no one wants this job, I think its a little too early to make that claim. Just because they didn't hire a manager in one week? Who cares? What no-brainer candidate have they missed out on? Were you dying for Alex Cora?

I wouldn't classify replacing your manager after ten years as dramatic change. Its change, yes, but its not something that is out of the ordinary. The dramatic change came five years ago when they adjusted player development and that has paid dividends handsomely.

As for your belief that no one wants this job, I think its a little too early to make that claim. Just because they didn't hire a manager in one week? Who cares? What no-brainer candidate have they missed out on? Were you dying for Alex Cora?
The dramatic change isn't getting rid of Giradi. It's changing the manager' job drastically. The manager won't make the lineups, won't decide when pitching changes are made. The next manager of the NY Yankees will be the ra-ra guy in the clubhouse and they interview guy. That is it.
And it's over two weeks now.
This bullcrap of making a guy do interviews with the media without even of an offer is just crazy.

Reactions: RutgersROB
Who are these great options that don’t want to work for Cashman? That’s nonsense. We kept Girardi for ten seasons. That’s an eternity in baseball. If anything Cashman has shown he will stick with a guy. Who wouldn’t want to work for a guy like that? Every team in baseball is now using the stats and taking away most of the decision making from the coach. That’s not unique to the Yankees. I think this just came down to the younger guys not loving Girardi. We will see how these guys play next season under someone else.
Cashman also has shown that he will throw the manager under the bus for his poor own decisions. Giradi got killed for not asking for a review. As it turns out it wasn't even his call. Calls for reviews came from upstairs.

Yanks need to go after Giancarlo Stanton. They have plenty of payroll flexibility to take on money, which is the most important part of the deal for the Marlins. Give them Clint Frazier, Albert Abreu (solid pitching prospect but already a little old at 22 and still in A+), and another "lottery ticket" prospect or two. Stick him in LF with Judge in RF and you have the most feared lineup in baseball. It's the only way to compete with the Astros right now for the longterm. Plus, I think the Yankees know the guy negotiating deals in Miami pretty well.

Cashman also has shown that he will throw the manager under the bus for his poor own decisions. Giradi got killed for not asking for a review. As it turns out it wasn't even his call. Calls for reviews came from upstairs.

That's partially true. Yes it comes from someone reviewing it upstairs but Girardi has to make a decision in a limited amount of time. He's still the manager. Electing to use a review at that moment was a no brainer due to 1. The situation. Called strike three and inning over and 2. You get an extra challenge in the playoffs. Cashman said specifically that this was not the reason Girardi was fired and I highly doubt it was. I don't see in any way how Girardi has been thrown under the bus. You act like the Yankees have been treating Girardi like the Red Sox spread rumors about Francona popping pills when he was fired!

Because it wasnt Giradi's call. Giradi, like a lot of managers have no say in the decision. It comes from upstairs.
Cashman could have let the media know it wasn't Giradi's decision but he let him twist in the wind. Giradi got killed for it.

Yanks need to go after Giancarlo Stanton. They have plenty of payroll flexibility to take on money, which is the most important part of the deal for the Marlins. Give them Clint Frazier, Albert Abreu (solid pitching prospect but already a little old at 22 and still in A+), and another "lottery ticket" prospect or two. Stick him in LF with Judge in RF and you have the most feared lineup in baseball. It's the only way to compete with the Astros right now for the longterm. Plus, I think the Yankees know the guy negotiating deals in Miami pretty well.
It will take 4-5 guys of that caliber to get Stanton I believe. Totally not worth it, especially with the Ellsbury contract handcuffing their payroll a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rutgers'02
Because it wasnt Giradi's call. Giradi, like a lot of managers have no say in the decision. It comes from upstairs.
Cashman could have let the media know it wasn't Giradi's decision but he let him twist in the wind. Giradi got killed for it.

Almost every team has the same set up. There is someone watching each play upstairs (Weber for the Yankees). They say whether or not to review based on what they see. I'm sure Girardi leans on the recommendation just like every other coach, but the final decision is his. I haven't seen anything reported to suggest that Girardi is not allowed to disagree with the recommendation given.

I have, however, seen Girardi admit that,“Now, knowing that I had two challenges, in hindsight, yeah, I wish I would have challenged it.”

It will take 4-5 guys of that caliber to get Stanton I believe. Totally not worth it, especially with the Ellsbury contract handcuffing their payroll a bit.

Agreed. Stanton would take Torres + Frazier + Sheffield + etc.

Heard this guy is interviewing Tuesday. Never should have got rid of Joe.One win away from the WS, so not much pressure on the new Manager!
images

Almost every team has the same set up. There is someone watching each play upstairs (Weber for the Yankees). They say whether or not to review based on what they see. I'm sure Girardi leans on the recommendation just like every other coach, but the final decision is his. I haven't seen anything reported to suggest that Girardi is not allowed to disagree with the recommendation given.

I have, however, seen Girardi admit that,“Now, knowing that I had two challenges, in hindsight, yeah, I wish I would have challenged it.”
Agreed. It starts and ends with Girardi. It's a tough job to integrate all that info and make a choice but that's why he made big bucks. Besides, when your catcher is screaming at you to review the call when the play happened in front of him, maybe you should just...listen?

Reactions: drewbagel423
I like Cone for the job.
So he can spray bleach at the reporters? Or get involved in a gang rape like in Port ST. Lucy,
or show his penis to a fan during game from the bull pen. Please it is bad enough we had to
bring in the drug addicts Strawberry and Gooden let's keep the ex Mets away, please.

Looks like the NY Yankees (Cashman) have suspended interviews until Thursday at the earliest. GM meetings and Cashman only want to interview people at Yankee Stadium as he wants to take all prospects through the "car wash" during the interview process. Ugh.

cs1.jpg

"What do you mean you don't want to be my hand puppet manager?? This is the NY Yankees!!"

Last edited:
Aaron Judge voted American League Rookie of the Year. Out of a possible 30 votes, he accumulated 30 votes.

Carlos Beltran is available
You beat me to it. Cashman knows him. Zero manger experience but a perfect fit for the Cashman model. No coincidence he just retired. Young players love him. Would have no problem being Cashman's hand puppet.

You beat me to it. Cashman knows him. Zero manger experience but a perfect fit for the Cashman model. No coincidence he just retired. Young players love him. Would have no problem being Cashman's hand puppet.

Speaks both English and Spanish. Connects with Latin players and the Yankees are full of them. Homerun here.

Question - Do you just hate Cashman or are you just mad at him for canning Girardi? I'm just curious, no flame intended.

The most pressing need the Yankees need, is a hitting coach that can stop these guys from stepping in the bucket, lay off of outside curves in the dirt, and teach the fundamental art of hitting to the opposite field, not to mention bunting. But, you know that's just me....

Oh, and of course a new 3rd baseman who can hit to all fields, catch and throw. Is Evan Longoria available? Of course A. Beltre would be awesome, but not likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnmpsu
Question - Do you just hate Cashman or are you just mad at him for canning Girardi? I'm just curious, no flame intended.
Although I think getting rid of Giradi with no one in mind for taking his place was a stupid move. I think Cashman as a traditional GM has done a good, not great job over the years. For every Judge there is Ellsbury.
What I hate is this move to the front office numbers guys running the team on a day to day basis.
We saw a lot of dumb moves in the playoffs simply based of sabermetrics. Baseball is played by players. Cashman is going overboard in changing how the games will be managed.

Otanison is going to be a real show..Yanks? Sox? Dodgers? Twins?Seattle has a shot because of its large Japanese population.

Honestly, I think the Yanks get him due to the market, the money they can offer him and the young nucleus of talent around him. I also think that they will let him DH or pinch hit when not pitching, but it won't be every day.

Although I think getting rid of Giradi with no one in mind for taking his place was a stupid move. I think Cashman as a traditional GM has done a good, not great job over the years. For every Judge there is Ellsbury.
What I hate is this move to the front office numbers guys running the team on a day to day basis.
We saw a lot of dumb moves in the playoffs simply based of sabermetrics. Baseball is played by players. Cashman is going overboard in changing how the games will be managed.
I agree that not having a succession plan in place is dumb. However, I don't think it's the end of the world. I also think Cashman is a top 5 GM. His hits significantly outweigh the misses. I've always heard that the Ellsbury signing was a Steinbrenner move. I think Cash's worst signings were Igawa and Pavano, but I understand the Yankees were reaching for unproven, but young, pitching. The youth movement and keeping them house can be directly tied to him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT