ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official Yankee Hot Stove Talk

Otani isn't going anywhere soon, certainly not this week. The posting deal has expired and Otani's club is refusing to sign off on the new deal as the old one is better for them. What was thought to be a slam dunk a week ago is far from it.

I agree that not having a succession plan in place is dumb. However, I don't think it's the end of the world. I also think Cashman is a top 5 GM. His hits significantly oMcCaanutweigh the misses. I've always heard that the Ellsbury signing was a Steinbrenner move. I think Cash's worst signings were Igawa and Pavano, but I understand the Yankees were reaching for unproven, but young, pitching. The youth movement and keeping them house can be directly tied to him.
People have not figured out what was happening when the Yanks signed Ellsberry
Hadley, and McCann for 400 million. To me it is too much of a
of a stretch to think they all got bad at the same time, the steroid era ended.

Reactions: RickB113 and batts
The most pressing need the Yankees need, is a hitting coach that can stop these guys from stepping in the bucket, lay off of outside curves in the dirt, and teach the fundamental art of hitting to the opposite field, not to mention bunting. But, you know that's just me....

Oh, and of course a new 3rd baseman who can hit to all fields, catch and throw. Is Evan Longoria available? Of course A. Beltre would be awesome, but not likely.
If you are expecting a new manager to bring in more bunting you will be waiting for a long time; no happening.

If you are expecting a new manager to bring in more bunting you will be waiting for a long time; no happening.
And, that's why a major league player can't bunt. But, to be more specific on my original evaluation; a baseball player should never be limited by his inability to
1. hit only certain pitches/pitchers
2. one side of the field, while completely ignoring the other
3. coaching that prefers HR's and 3rd place finishes, to multi functional and winning championships
4. hit a curve to the opposite field
5. bunting, when it's the best play for the situation
6. hit and run
7. run and hit(there is a difference)
So, if any incoming manager is not aware of these basic fundamentals, or is not willing to mandate them to his team, then he should not be coaching.
Pretty simple really. I believe that a team becomes better, when they are able to do things up and down the lineup that will improve your odds at winning a baseball game. Things like, hit and run, bunting, going to the opposite field, running bases like you have a place to go, knowing the opposition, strengths, weakness, and then taking advantage of them. Baseball 101, a game forgotten.
I should write a book. LOL

Reactions: johnmpsu and Source
Otani isn't going anywhere soon, certainly not this week. The posting deal has expired and Otani's club is refusing to sign off on the new deal as the old one is better for them. What was thought to be a slam dunk a week ago is far from it.

"....On Wednesday, Dan Halem, the league's top legal official, said he hoped to complete negotiations with Japan's Nippon Professional Baseball "maybe within a week." He set “early December” as the goal for the system to become functional. So that will probably limit much of the Yankees’ roster maneuvering, until they can finally talk with Otani and get a feel for what he’s thinking..."

And, that's why a major league player can't bunt. But, to be more specific on my original evaluation; a baseball player should never be limited by his inability to
3. coaching that prefers HR's and 3rd place finishes, to multi functional and winning championships
6. hit and run
So, if any incoming manager is not aware of these basic fundamentals, or is not willing to mandate them to his team, then he should not be coaching.
Pretty simple really. I believe that a team becomes better, when they are able to do things up and down the lineup that will improve your odds at winning a baseball game. Things like, hit and run, bunting, going to the opposite field, running bases like you have a place to go, knowing the opposition, strengths, weakness, and then taking advantage of them. Baseball 101, a game forgotten.
My point was Yankee brass doesn't believe in bunting (new metrics) so don't expect the new Yankee manager to be an advocate of bunting.

Yankees aren't trading for Stanton. Can't afford him this year.

Giancarlo Stanton is signed for an average of $25 M per season for the next ten seasons (thru the end of 2027) and he is 28 and will be 38 years old when his contract expires. Is he going to produce the same great numbers in 5 seasons? 8 seasons? 10 seasons? when he's still getting a $25 M/year paycheck whether he's great or washed up? I don't know. Let's ask Alex Rodriguez or Jacoby Ellsbury or CC Sabathia if the Yankees got their (incredible) money's worth.

Better yet, let's ask the Steinbrenners if re-signing A-Rod for 2008 when he'd turn 33 until he was 42 for $275 M was worth it.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Giancarlo Stanton is signed for an average of $25 M per season for the next ten seasons (thru the end of 2027) and he is 28 and will be 38 years old when his contract expires. Is he going to produce the same great numbers in 5 seasons? 8 seasons? 10 seasons? when he's still getting a $25 M/year paycheck whether he's great or washed up? I don't know. Let's ask Alex Rodriguez or Jacoby Ellsbury or CC Sabathia if the Yankees got their (incredible) money's worth.

Better yet, let's ask the Steinbrenners if re-signing A-Rod for 2008 when he'd turn 33 until he was 42 for $275 M was worth it.
I would say Yanks got their money's worth from CC.

I would say Yanks got their money's worth from CC.

He came the closest. First five seasons, stellar. Then 32-39 and a full run higher than his lifetime 3.70 ERA for the next three before a very good 14-5 finish this year. The point is, the Yankees are paying top dollar EVERY year of a long contract. And even with great years from CC where he might have earned that large salary, he still had a third of his time pitching as sub-standard. Is the huge mega-contracts worth that in the long run?

Reactions: WhiteBus
I've heard this guy is available for manager:

MV5BMTkzNTkzNjczOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODczMzc2OTE@._V1_SX1200_CR0,0,1200,648_AL_.jpg

BBWAA got it right. Altuve wins MVP. As much as I wanted Judge to win it was the right choice. Judge a solid 2nd in voting.

Reactions: Rhuarc
"....On Wednesday, Dan Halem, the league's top legal official, said he hoped to complete negotiations with Japan's Nippon Professional Baseball "maybe within a week." He set “early December” as the goal for the system to become functional. So that will probably limit much of the Yankees’ roster maneuvering, until they can finally talk with Otani and get a feel for what he’s thinking..."
Now the player's association is blocking progress on the Otani front. I think he'll still get here this season, but something will have to change to do so.

Stanton also has a player opt out clause at the end of 2020. So, any team is taking a chance on blowing a huge amount of young talent AND running the risk of him leaving in 3 years anyway. Good luck with that.

Stanton also has a player opt out clause at the end of 2020. So, any team is taking a chance on blowing a huge amount of young talent AND running the risk of him leaving in 3 years anyway. Good luck with that.
I think Source has the better opinion on this. He isn't young, has 10 years to go. Like Tanaka he would be foolish to opt out at 32.

My point was Yankee brass doesn't believe in bunting (new metrics) so don't expect the new Yankee manager to be an advocate of bunting.

No one in baseball believes in bunting a guy from 1st to 2nd with no outs because stats show that the team is just as likely to score one run if they don't give up the out. As to more specific situations, sure. And of course, people should have the skill.

I think Source has the better opinion on this. He isn't young, has 10 years to go. Like Tanaka he would be foolish to opt out at 32.
I agree with this, but it's definitely still a risk factor.

The long term contacts when guys will be pushing 40 or better at the end of it will always look bad if you look at it season by season. But if you look at it that teams know up front that they are buying the first 5-7 years and have to live with the end of the contract because it is just business, then you get a different outlook. Believe me, clubs all know this is going to happen and they hope they get their money worth on the front end.
BTW- I know everyone just loves to hate A-Rod but how many guys have given 7 years like his first 7 of the contact in recent generations? Yanks got their money worth
CC- first 5 years outstanding and last year in itself just ties up his Yankee career and you can say he also worked out.
Ellsbury: All you could even say from day one of this signing was WTF are they thinking...One of the dumbest signings in Yankee history as there was nothing to say when he signed that he could ever live up to his money. He had one outliner year in his career and he got paid like he would be expected to have that year all the time.
Stanton comes along...he is going to get paid and you only hope he gives you 7 years and then doesnt hurt you too bad in his final 3.

Starting in 2019 we will have the best team in baseball. Lineup will be.

Gardner
Torres
Judge
Harper
Sanchez
Bird
Frazier
Otani
Castro

There is a chance one of our young outfielders can replace Gardner.

Pitching

Severino
Otani
Tanaka
Grey
Montgomery/Sheffield/Adams

We may go out and get another big pitcher in 2019. Probably depends on how 2018 goes.

We are not doing anything other than signing Otani this offseason and maybe some minor other moves.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
If they sign Harper, they would have to dump Gardner to offset his salary I would imagine.

There is no real pitching out there to sign. They will not sign Kershaw. So who else is there? They are signing Harper IMO without question and they should. He is young. Top five player in the game and is low risk. Will draw fans. No brainer.

If they sign Harper, they would have to dump Gardner to offset his salary I would imagine.

2018 season is Brett Gardner's final Yankees season under contract. They either re-sign him or let him walk in free agency a year from now. Most don't expect a 2019 return to the Yankees. In fact, he may be a candidate for a July 31 deadline deal next year.

2018 season is Brett Gardner's final Yankees season under contract. They either re-sign him or let him walk in free agency a year from now. Most don't expect a 2019 return to the Yankees. In fact, he may be a candidate for a July 31 deadline deal next year.

He's a hard nosed old school type player. A great defensive outfielder but there have been a number of seasons where he's completely disappeared offensively the 2nd half of the year. Doubt at 35 the Yanks would resign him with all the talent waiting in the wings.

Keep in mind Managers can be traded:

Stanton & Mattingly for Judge and whatever...

Jeter can't wait to dump Stanton....so maybe or
Cashman hires Girardi back....not crazy.
imo

Hey I kicked the tires there wasn't anything better out there.

He's a hard nosed old school type player. A great defensive outfielder but there have been a number of seasons where he's completely disappeared offensively the 2nd half of the year. Doubt at 35 the Yanks would resign him with all the talent waiting in the wings.

Agreed - but give him credit didn't think at first he was much more than a 4th outfielder but he has built a nice career. No way the Yankees resign him - but he should do well in the NL - always thought he was a NL player - they have Frazier coming who can jack 30 at will.

He strikes me as a Darrel Green from the Redskins will run a 4.5 forty at 50 but he is a bad base runner for his speed - doesn't have the natural instincts like Ricky Henderson.
imo

Reactions: knightfan7
Agreed - but give him credit didn't think at first he was much more than a 4th outfielder but he has built a nice career. No way the Yankees resign him - but he should do well in the NL - always thought he was a NL player - they have Frazier coming who can jack 30 at will.

He strikes me as a Darrel Green from the Redskins will run a 4.5 forty at 50 but he is a bad base runner for his speed - doesn't have the natural instincts like Ricky Henderson.
imo

That was always the knock on Bernie Williams. All the speed in the world but a bad baserunner.

That was always the knock on Bernie Williams. All the speed in the world but a bad baserunner.

I think he's always been a good baserunner, but his stealing has always left much to be desired. Everyone wanted him to be as good as Ellsbury in his prime, but he just never had the right instincts. Some advanced base running metrics suggest that his base running (excluding steals) has consistently been good to great.

3 weeks and still no manager for the NY Yankees. It's getting embarrassing.
Two things are very apparent. 1. Cashman had no plan going in. 2. There is no need to rush because of the quality of the candidates is so low that there is no threat of them going elsewhere.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
3 weeks and still no manager for the NY Yankees. It's getting embarrassing.
Two things are very apparent. 1. Cashman had no plan going in. 2. There is no need to rush because of the quality of the candidates is so low that there is no threat of them going elsewhere.
Kind of hard to conclude anything different.

Yankees send Caleb Smith and Garrett Cooper to the Marlins for more money for Otani.
:cool2::cool2::cool2:

Reactions: Rhuarc
Yankees abruptly announce Aaron Judge shoulder surgery By Post Sports Desk

November 21, 2017 | 3:30pm

The news for the right fielder came out of left field.

The Yankees announced Tuesday that Aaron Judge had successful surgery a day prior on his left shoulder. According to the team, the procedure performed by Dr. Neil ElAttrache involved “a loose-body removal and cartilage clean-up.”

The Yankees did not release an exact timeline, but said they anticipate Judge will be recovered before spring training.

Judge was often seen after games with packs of ice caking his shoulder but always insisted he was healthy. The injury is believed to stretch all the way back to an April 26 game against Boston, in which Judge tumbled into the Fenway Park seats tracking down a flyball.

With a bum shoulder, Judge won the Rookie of the Year and finished second in MVP voting, hitting 52 home runs and driving in 114 runs for a team that was a game away from a World Series berth.

Yankees send Caleb Smith and Garrett Cooper to the Marlins for more money for Otani.
:cool2::cool2::cool2:
Except neither were on the payroll of the big club so it saves them $0. They were traded as the 40 man rosters had to be set for the Rule 5 draft.

The signing money is the big thing since it now makes them tied with Texas for the most money to offer.

Reactions: Kbee3
6. hit and run

So Ted Williams wasn't a good ball player? He didn't do most of those things.

ADVERTISEMENT