ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official Yankee Hot Stove Talk

BBWAA got it right. Altuve wins MVP. As much as I wanted Judge to win it was the right choice. Judge a solid 2nd in voting.

What stat did Altuve lead judge in besides BA (but no OBP) singles and SB? Judge lead in Altuve in pretty much everything, the only reason Altuve won is because everyone roots for the little guy.

3 weeks and still no manager for the NY Yankees. It's getting embarrassing.
Two things are very apparent. 1. Cashman had no plan going in. 2. There is no need to rush because of the quality of the candidates is so low that there is no threat of them going elsewhere.

Or there is no other open managerial position open so no reason to rush.

You may be right that he had no plan, but there are other possibilities that are perfectly reasonable and probably more likely.

Reactions: RickB113
What stat did Altuve lead judge in besides BA (but no OBP) singles and SB? Judge lead in Altuve in pretty much everything, the only reason Altuve won is because everyone roots for the little guy.
You must have not watched the Astros all season. I'm a Yankee fan and a huge Judge fan. They got it right. No question.
Even if you didn' watch during the season you should have got a clue how good he was during the postseason.

Or there is no other open managerial position open so no reason to rush.

You may be right that he had no plan, but there are other possibilities that are perfectly reasonable and probably more likely.
Have you been impressed with those they have brought in?? Weak sauce so far.

Have you been impressed with those they have brought in?? Weak sauce so far.

No, but I’ve never really been impressed w managerial hires. You just never know what you’re going to get. Did you think the Torre hire would be perfect? I’m impressed if you did.

Reactions: RickB113
So Ted Williams wasn't a good ball player? He didn't do most of those things.
You mean the last player to hit 400. Lifetime batting Avg. of 344 and OBP of 482. And, 521 HR, while knocking in over 1800 runs. That Ted Williams? How do you think those numbers would be effected if they did a shift on him? You know what, they wouldn't, because Mr. Williams spread his hits to all parts of the field, never swung at bad, and knew the value of both the walk(2021, out 7,700 AB's), that's a walk every 3/4 times at bat!
When you start comparing ball players in today's era, to those of 50 years ago, try to chose one that will win the argument. Good ball players, like those of old DID know how to do the things listed, if asked to, and did them successfully. Today's ball players don't understand, or care about the art of the game, the little things which improve the team. Owners, Managers all know what puts people in seats(ignorant people), the Home Run. And, like the dunk in basketball or 300 passing yard game in football are all ruining the games we used to love. New audiences don't understand this, because they have never been exposed to solid team over individual philosophies. To me it's just a sad statement on the games I used to enjoy participated, coached, as well as watch. It's a rare time when I sit and watch a mid season game of baseball, or football, and basketball is a thing of the past(literally). If it wasn't for playoffs I wouldn't watch at all.
So, thank you for making my point. Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Willie Mays, Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Ty Cobb, and so many more. All knew the value of playing the game how it should be played, and never needed "pinch hitters," or "designated hitters" that would have been insulting. A shift, thank you.

No, but I’ve never really been impressed w managerial hires. You just never know what you’re going to get. Did you think the Torre hire would be perfect? I’m impressed if you did.
Perfect no but except for the NY Post Clueless Joe headline was a very good hire at the time.

And now, Otani is a free man! Hope he lands in NY....for the Yanks.

Perfect no but except for the NY Post Clueless Joe headline was a very good hire at the time.

I thought he was a washed up sub-.500 manager at the time. Turned out he was great and his 15 years experience prior to that didn’t tell the whole story. I thought Girardi was a great hire and he was. Maybe Wedge is the next Torre? Who knows? His record is comparable w pre-Yankees Torre. There are so many variables that unless they hire Boone, someone w zero coaching experience, I probably won’t be that upset.

I’m just not ready to declare the sky is falling yet. I think it’s premature.

There is no way anyone thought Torre was a good hire. There was no basis for that line of thinking. At best a questionable hire who had a chance at working. Managing in baseball is overrated. Of the major sports it is the least important job. I'm not saying it is not important at all just they impact the game the least of all the managers.

Whether or not the Yankees win will come down to health of the starting pitching. We will make the playoffs for the foreseeable future barring major injuries. Once you are in the playoffs it is a crapshoot. Joe made terrible decisions in the playoffs and we still almost won.

You must have not watched the Astros all season. I'm a Yankee fan and a huge Judge fan. They got it right. No question.
Even if you didn' watch during the season you should have got a clue how good he was during the postseason.

I believe the MVP, Cy Young, Rookie of the Year and Manager of the Year are all voted on before the playoffs start, and just not announced until the conclusion of the Series. Keeps MLB in the media spotlight a bit longer. Like White Bus I am a Yankee fan too, and agree with him that Altuve was the correct choice.

I believe the MVP, Cy Young, Rookie of the Year and Manager of the Year are all voted on before the playoffs start, and just not announced until the conclusion of the Series. Keeps MLB in the media spotlight a bit longer. Like White Bus I am a Yankee fan too, and agree with him that Altuve was the correct choice.

Same here.

A month ago today Giradi was fired. Yankees still don' have a clue who is next. Totally lost.

Carlos Beltran to interview with Yankees tomorrow.
If Cashman is going to strip most of the responsibilities from the Manager than this is the perfect hire.
He is far better than any if those who have interviewed.
Get it done.

Carlos Beltran to interview with Yankees tomorrow.
If Cashman is going to strip most of the responsibilities from the Manager than this is the perfect hire.
He is far better than any if those who have interviewed.
Get it done.
Help me understand what this means.

Help me understand what this means.
The new NY Yankees manager will not make out lineups, set pitching rotations, set rosters and make pitching changs. That will all be done by Brian Cashman and his sabermetrics group in the front office.

Wow, I haven't been following this at all: they still haven't replace Girardi?

The new NY Yankees manager will not make out lineups, set pitching rotations, set rosters and make pitching changs. That will all be done by Brian Cashman and his sabermetrics group in the front office.
So basically Cashman becomes the de facto manager. He rings down into the dugout to get Beltran (or whoever) to make the moves they want?

As a Mets fan, I thoroughly encourage this approach. It was going to be really annoying to watch the Yanks' burgeoning dynasty if they only didn't do stupid shit like this.

This is white bus’ interpretation of the manager situation. Haven’t seen anything that says this is true.

Huh What? Do you watch MLB? Read any of the NY papers?
Use Google sometime.
Took me 2 seconds to dig up plenty of these

www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2017/10/28/what-brian-cashman-wants-from-the-next-yankees-manager/amp/
Dude. You are over the top. That article says nothing close to what you are saying. GMs have had a say in the lineup for a long time now. Long time. They want managers to go by the analytics of pitching matchups and less using your gut. Nowhere does it say that he is going to make all he decisions. It just says they want a guy who believes in the analytics. I don't see anything wrong with that. And they specifically said Roberts and Hinch manage through this. I've always said the only real job an MLB manager has is motivating his players. The rest, the gut feels are just luck. So now take that part out of the managers hands and just go by the numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhuarc
That makes more sense. Now you can go back to enjoying the future dynasty.

Dude. You are over the top. That article says nothing close to what you are saying. GMs have had a say in the lineup for a long time now. Long time. They want managers to go by the analytics of pitching matchups and less using your gut. Nowhere does it say that he is going to make all he decisions. It just says they want a guy who believes in the analytics. I don't see anything wrong with that. And they specifically said Roberts and Hinch manage through this. I've always said the only real job an MLB manager has is motivating his players. The rest, the gut feels are just luck. So now take that part out of the managers hands and just go by the numbers.
Thank you for making my point for me. Honestly, I don't know if an analytical method of managing is best, however at least I understand what the Yanks are looking for... unlike Bus.

Thank you for making my point for me. Honestly, I don't know if an analytical method of managing is best, however at least I understand what the Yanks are looking for... unlike Bus.
Analytics aside. Do you really think over the last 20 years someone came down and dropped off the game day starting line up onto Torres or Giradi's desk?

Analytics aside. Do you really think over the last 20 years someone came down and dropped off the game day starting line up onto Torres or Giradi's desk?
No I don't. However, this is the wave of the future it seems. I don't necessarily agree with it, I guess I'm just not as against it as some.

On another note, I saw your posts on the Francesa thread. You're clearly a NY sports fan and have a lot of passion. I admire that you stick by your teams and defend them like they should. I'd be pissed if I were in your shoes too probably!

No I don't. However, this is the wave of the future it seems. I don't necessarily agree with it, I guess I'm just not as against it as some.

On another note, I saw your posts on the Francesa thread. You're clearly a NY sports fan and have a lot of passion. I admire that you stick by your teams and defend them like they should. I'd be pissed if I were in your shoes too probably!
And I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan. But have been to so many Giants games at the old Giants Stadium. One of my favorite places to watch a game.

White Bus is right about the next manager not having many duties as you would think he does

Wow, they're MLB's version of the University of Tennessee.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT