ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ohio State team doctor sexually abused students for decades

Eventually everyone will realize this isn’t a Penn State specific issue, a Michigan State specific issue, a Baylor specific issue... this is way may present than anyone wants to think, not just in university systems but anywhere. So sad

Reactions: Knightmoves
My super early hot take guess at what OSU will end up paying: $400 million.

This is mostly based on what Sparty paid out and the number of victims.

Eventually everyone will realize this isn’t a Penn State specific issue, a Michigan State specific issue, a Baylor specific issue... this is way may present than anyone wants to think, not just in university systems but anywhere. So sad
Sadly probably true, but only seems to come to light in the B1G.

I'm shocked with all of his outright activity that these teams didn't just beat the living shit out of him in the showers, or at least one or a few individuals didn't beat the shit out of him when he was fondling them during examinations.

At least with the Penn State stuff the victims were young boys. The Ohio State ones are fully grown, elite athlete, fully grown, weight lifting men. You'd think one of them would have just leveled him.

Reactions: nikoru09
I'm shocked with all of his outright activity that these teams didn't just beat the living shit out of him in the showers, or at least one or a few individuals didn't beat the shit out of him when he was fondling them during examinations.

At least with the Penn State stuff the victims were young boys. The Ohio State ones are fully grown, elite athlete, fully grown, weight lifting men. You'd think one of them would have just leveled him.

"Athletes reported coming in for treatment for a variety of ailments, including one who had a sore throat, only to find that Dr. Strauss would touch their genitals. The report said that in one case, when a student responded to abuse “with anger and some physicality,” Dr. Strauss accused the student of assaulting him."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/17/sports/ohio-state-sexual-abuse.html

177 students abused over decades. Was "an open secret' among athletes & covered up by admin. See no evil Jimmy Jordan say he's vindicated because he wasn't named, lol. Of course, he was living in a hermetically sealed cocoon.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Why is this not more of a hot topic all over ESPN and news outlets today !?!? This is crazy !!!!
1. The guy is long dead, so no intrigue in things like interviews people saw of Sandusky and nassar
2. It happened decades ago and no big names currently (like Urban Meyer or tressel) to grab attention

"Perhaps the most notable part of the report is that Jim Jordan, the U.S. representative from Ohio who was formerly an assistant coach with the wrestling program from 1987 to 1995, is not implicated by any evidence uncovered by the investigation, despite multiple former wrestlers alleging to the media that he knew about Strauss’s abuse. "

https://deadspin.com/ohio-states-investigation-of-richard-strausss-sexual-ab-1834843173

Jim Jordan Claims Vindication, but Inquiry Says Talk of Abuse at Ohio State Was Rampant

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/17/us/politics/jim-jordan-sexual-abuse-ohio-state.html

"Many told investigators that they thought his behavior was an "open secret" and that they believed their coaches, trainers and other team doctors knew was going on."

https://www.10tv.com/article/report...ed-177-students-officials-were-aware-2019-may

"At least 50 members of the athletic department staff, including many coaches, corroborated victims' accounts of Strauss' abuse, the report said. But students' allegations never left the department or the health center until 1996."

"Before Friday's release, the doctor's accusers had alleged that Ohio Republican Rep. Jim Jordan was one of the coaches back then who were aware of suspicions about Strauss and didn't stop him. Jordan, an assistant wrestling coach from 1987 to 1995, was not mentioned by name in the report, and a spokesman said the document showed the congressman did not know about the abuse"

https://dailycaller.com/2018/08/02/trevor-noah-jim-jordan-scumbag/

Comedian Trevor Noah attacked GOP Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio on “The Daily Show” Wednesday and called him a “scumbag” who is “basically Joe Paterno part two.”

“Wow, turning a blind eye to rampant sexual abuse of the kids you are supposed to be protecting,” Noah said. “I’m sorry it doesn’t get more scumbag than that. And if these allegations are true, then Jim Jordan is basically Joe Paterno part two, which sounds like a sequel nobody would want to see. It’s like ‘Titanic’ part two.”

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1
So now THE Ohio State U. joins Michigan State and Ped State as the Division leaders in sexual abuse of athletes. Hey parents of 4/5 star athletes send your kids to Rutgers. B1G has their nerve looking down on Rutgers. Anything goes as long as the money keeps rolling in.

Media b.s.. Go pick on Lt. Gov. of VA. Media scumbag.
What we need to do is forget about someone's political affiliation when defending or attacking that person and look just at the facts surrounding what's being said about him/her.

It seems ( for many people) someone's guilt or innocence is being based on their politics and not their actions.

Maybe I’m jaded but I’m guessing this has happened at nearly every university in the country, obviously not as high profile as the names involved with MSU and PSU

What we need to do is forget about someone's political affiliation when defending or attacking that person and look just at the facts surrounding what's being said about him/her.

It seems ( for many people) someone's guilt or innocence is being based on their politics and not their actions.

Amen. I'm getting so sick of everything being about politics. Folks on both sides of the aisle are being manipulated by our "leaders" and, to varying degrees, the media.

We, in this great nation, have lost sight of the big picture and are gonna pay the piper in the end.

So now THE Ohio State U. joins Michigan State and Ped State as the Division leaders in sexual abuse of athletes. Hey parents of 4/5 star athletes send your kids to Rutgers. B1G has their nerve looking down on Rutgers. Anything goes as long as the money keeps rolling in.
How do you know that this hasn't happened at Rutgers?

Amen. I'm getting so sick of everything being about politics. Folks on both sides of the aisle are being manipulated by our "leaders" and, to varying degrees, the media.

We, in this great nation, have lost sight of the big picture and are gonna pay the piper in the end.
You look at the report & news coverage of it & tell me Jordan never knew. Total BS.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

I agree. Wrong is wrong. Identity Politics is bad for America. The problem, in this case, is that the Party of Family Values demonstrates time and again that the slogan is hollow.

And yes, there's a moral equivalence on the other side of the aisle.

thats odd...big bad steroid filled teenagers getting fondled....i would have said doc ,you touch me their again and i'll punch your ffffinn face in...of course the 60's, and 70's were a different time..kids today are programmed to comply.
this doctor must have been some intimidating figure.....if this happened at ru,
we would be banned from athletics for life....when these things happen to the blue bloods..you just get that espn ticker tape flash across your tv...a week later, and it's forgotten.

Plenty of Drs are deviant sexual predators, just like priests. I am at the point where I am very skeptical about any adult males in the medical profession who want to hang around children thru college age young adults.

Hard to believe any male college athlete would allow anyone (doctor or trainer) to touch them in an awkward or uncomfortable manner.
Very strange, would have never happened with the guys i played with

Last edited:
This study was done a long time ago article it was in:
Special Report by Special Report by Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights

February 2004
Dr. Thomas Plante, a psychologist at Santa Clara University, found that “80 to 90% of all priests who in fact abuse minors have sexually engaged with adolescent boys, not prepubescent children. Thus, the teenager is more at risk than the young altar boy or girls of any age.

That along with the recent revelation of some OSU football players are claiming they were molested and some ( reportedly) became pros.
Hearing about the wrestlers and now football players at OSU, the Michigan St doctor and the athletes he abused, I wonder just how many athletes have been abused that won't say they were because they feel ashamed of it happening to them and don't want to be looked on as a victim of sexual abuse.

For some ( my speculation only) that might destroy the image of themselves they show to the world and teammates in the locker-room , so they keep it to themselves letting no one know.

Hard to believe any male college athlete would allow anyone (doctor or trainer) to touch them in an awkward or uncomfortable manner.
Unless you don't think this sort of thing happened in your day (sexual abuse), then you and your peers probably know at least a few people who had it happen to them.

Wouldn't it be JDS? You appear to be the perfect example of this point......

Your definition of abuse and mental anguish is probably a lot different than mine.
Not sure what you are talking about. The topic here is the Ohio State student-athletes getting sexually assaulted by the team doctor.

You said this type of abuse wouldn't happen to the athletes you were around. I am merely stating you wouldn't know if they did or not unless they told you or filed charges.

Imagine a doc touching Willie Stargell or the other team guys in a private area without permission? In a word, No!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT