ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Old Band-New Discovery

Neutral Milk Hotel (US band) - "Holland, 1945 (1998)" - many in the indie rock world call their 1998 album the most important indie rock album ever made, but more than a few hate it, probably just being contrarian. They never made another album, but did do a reunion tour in 2013 and I got to take my son and a few of his friends to their show at Prospect Park in Brooklyn (they were 18 and I was their hero for that, lol).

The Black Lips (US band) - "Bad Kids" (2007) - this garage/punk band is one of my son's favorites and when he turned 21 and could legally drink, I took him to a show of theirs on a NYC booze cruise. We both got hammered and had a fantastic time.

I am a huge Neutral Milk Hotel/Jeff Mangum fan and prob wouldn't know anything about them without Napster lol.

But Neutral Milk had another album in 1996 'On Avery Island' that is just as good if not better as 1998s 'In the Aeroplane Over the Sea'

What a talent, Jeff/NMH should be more popular

Reactions: RU848789
I like these different music threads. Thought I would see if anyone has any similar experiences with good bands or songs they overlooked in the past.

I recently thought about a song from the past that I always liked and found myself humming this week.

I looked up the song — turns out it was by Son Volt from 1995. Never owned any of their music. Downloaded the album this week and really liked it. I probably stopped listening to the radio around 1995 actually.

Please post any band that has been around for awhile, that you overlooked in the past but recently discovered you like. Thanks.

To actually go with your thread concept of a recent find (all that stuff I posted last night was bands I discovered or rediscovered many years ago through my son), I'll go with Jesse Malin. Was always kind of aware of him, but have heard more of him on the Underground Garage on SXM over the last year or so and have really been liking what I hear. Will try to post something later as I'm at a show now (Renee Maskin from Lowlight opening for Jon Langford from the Mekons).

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy
The Magnetic Fields (US band) - "I Think I Need a New Heart" (1999) - just a nice tune...

Andrew Jackson Jihad (US band) - "Brave as a Noun" (2007) - often called purveyors of "folk-punk," a term they hate - but to me it captures the sound. Had tickets for them in Philly the Friday after Sandy hit in 2012 and since our power was out anyway, we just went to a hotel in Philly for 3 days and saw the show (my wife got to go to this one). The also do one of the funniest songs I've ever heard: "The Michael Jordan of Drunk Driving (Played His Final Game Tonight)"

Magnetic Fields is also another great band. I would have posted 'All my little words'

Have you ever listened to Nouvelle Vague? I was listening to the both of them early 2000s, saw NV in NYC about 2005 they were great. Mostly covers

Sleater Kinney is another band that has had some small commercial success but should be waaaay more popular

Reactions: RU848789
The Bouncing Souls

I had a friend who liked them in HS, but I never took an interest to their music.
We saw them recently in Asbury and it was a fun time.

The Stone Pony has some awesome bands scheduled. 🤘
When I was in RBS for my MBA, I lived down in Ocean Grove. Every Saturday night, I’d go to The Stone Pony to check out the concert…. Good times. Wish I still young and carefree.

Reactions: Jm0513
Magnetic Fields is also another great band. I would have posted 'All my little words'

Have you ever listened to Nouvelle Vague? I was listening to the both of them early 2000s, saw NV in NYC about 2005 they were great. Mostly covers

Sleater Kinney is another band that has had some small commercial success but should be waaaay more popular
All My Little Words is a great choice! Never listened much to Nouvelle Vague. And was never a huge fan of Sleater Kinney, much to the chagrin of a couple of my friends, lol.

I am a huge Neutral Milk Hotel/Jeff Mangum fan and prob wouldn't know anything about them without Napster lol.

But Neutral Milk had another album in 1996 'On Avery Island' that is just as good if not better as 1998s 'In the Aeroplane Over the Sea'

What a talent, Jeff/NMH should be more popular
Sorry, I meant not another album after ITAOTS. On Avery Island has several gems, but I wouldn't put it at the level of Aeroplane overall - just my opinion (my son shares that fwiw, lol). A real shame Mangum didn't put out a lot more music.

Reactions: hankee18
Check out Buffalo Tom, the Connells, Jawbreaker, just to name a few........I was late to the party on all of them.

Check out Buffalo Tom, the Connells, Jawbreaker, just to name a few........I was late to the party on all of them.
Thanks.

I love the Connells! Will check out the other two.

Here’s a great Connells song;

Reactions: CJ1987
They were early enough for me to be tuned in to new music a lot more, so I was a fan of all three back in the day and was lucky enough to have seen both Buffalo Tom and the Connells live (but not Jawbreaker).

ADVERTISEMENT