ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ongoing Golf Thread

I'm really curious to see how he does today. His whole life I'm sure he's outdriven his playing partner. Not today with Bryson. That can get in your head.

Stats wise Wolff actually has out driven DeChambeau all week. Just today he's outdriven him on 1, 2, and 4 so far.

Amazing Eagles on 9 by by Bryson (-5) and Wolfe (-4).

Match play on back 9 at Winged Foot between them. Great golf!

They both just hit 9 iron on the 198 yard par 3 10th hole.

Wolff's not playing that badly (+3 today, which is not bad given the scores today) - DeChambeau is just playing better (-3 today), especially with the putter. 4 up with 4 to play - would now require a meltdown (or an incredible birdie run by Woff) for him to lose.

Wow, congrats to Bryson. It’s a shame the press just focuses on the distance but the difference today was his putting.

Reactions: HALL85
Wow, congrats to Bryson. It’s a shame the press just focuses on the distance but the difference today was his putting.
His short game was even better. It doesn’t matter if he’s in the rough. He hits wedges gets looks anyway. He doesn’t get penalized hitting rough.

His short game was even better. It doesn’t matter if he’s in the rough. He hits wedges gets looks anyway. He doesn’t get penalized hitting rough.

Chicks and Cali dig the long ball lol.

Sure he does. He was able to overcome the rough this week as good as anyone and putted the lights out but his overall tour stats were nothing to write home about. He was ranked in the bottom half of the pack for the season ending with the Tour Championship.

GIR for the 2019-2020 season.

100 yds.....69th

100-125 yds.....166th

125-150yds.....154th

150-175 yds.....107th

Sure he does. He was able to overcome the rough this week as good as anyone and putted the lights out but his overall tour stats were nothing to write home about. He was ranked in the bottom half of the pack for the season ending with the Tour Championship.

100 yds.....69th

100-125 yds.....166th

125-150yds.....154th

150-175 yds.....107th
The goal in golf is to shoot the lowest score. 2019/2020 scoring avg leaders:

T2Bryson DeChambeau

Here are some stats Pros actually care about:

Strokes Gained Off the Tee
1. Bryson DeChambeau

Strokes Gained Putting:
10. Bryson DeChambeau

Last edited:
The goal in golf is to shoot the lowest score. 2019/2020 scoring avg leaders:

T2Bryson DeChambeau

Here are some stats Pros actually care about:

Strokes Gained Off the Tee
1. Bryson DeChambeau

Strokes Gained Putting:
10. Bryson DeChambeau

Yes, and no one is denying that he's one of the best putters on tour. He proved it this weekend but the one weakness in his game is his short irons.

JMO that playing from the rough hurts him overall and I think the stats bear that out.

100 yds.....69th

100-125 yds.....166th

125-150yds.....154th

150-175 yds.....107th
You can use wherever stats you want. He just did something no one else has done.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Yes, and no one is denying that he's one of the best putters on tour. He proved it this weekend but the one weakness in his game is his short irons.

JMO that playing from the rough hurts him overall and I think the stats bear that out.
His short irons were incredible this weekend. That and his driver won him this tournament.

GIR does not correlate to score nearly as well as driving distance. If you look it up there is a linear relationship between driving distance and one's score.

Here is an excerpt from a well known statistician who produces an eval of golf each year:

GREENS IN REGULATION

Greens in Regulation is a common metric used by all sorts of golfers to gauge their ballstriking skill. The main flaw in G.I.R. is that it does not distinguish any difference in the proximity to the hole. Thus, a G.I.R. with a 60-foot putt counts just as much as a G.I.R. with a 1-foot tap in. And often a golfer can either end up on the fringe or with a much shorter chip shot than the other golfer with a very difficult putt.

For that matter, G.I.R. can distort putting metrics such as 3-putt percentage. Graeme McDowell ranked 16th in Putts Gained but was 146th in 3-putt percentage. McDowell was also excellent on putts 3-5 feet long as he ranked 11th from that distance range. The issue was not McDowell’s putting skill as it was his ballstriking. He was leaving himself with too many long birdie putts that were essentially putting him in 3-putt territory. In fact, once the putt gets longer than 33-feet from the hole Tour players are more likely to 3-putt than they are to 1-putt from that distance.

The other factor is that G.I.R. is rather ambiguous when it comes to analyzing a player’s golfing ability. Bubba Watson is usually one of the better players in G.I.R., but he does that more by hitting the driver a long way and being extremely effective off the tee while being an average iron player by Tour standards. But, Jordan Spieth hits a lot of greens thru accuracy and precision and great iron play.

Greens in Regulation is not a completely worthless metric. If the distance to the hole is equal, golfers of all levels will have a lower projected score putting than they will from the fringe or greenside fairway. The advantage will be greater if the distance to the hole is the same and the player is on the green versus in the greenside rough. And obviously that advantage increases if the comparison is from the same distance to the cup with one player on the green and the other in the greenside bunker.

The data does suggest that hitting the green in regulation becomes increasingly more important as the approach shot distance becomes longer. Hitting a green in relatively unimportant from the Green Zone (75-125 yards). We start to see it influence Adjusted Scoring Average when we factor Greens in Regulation with Proximity to the Cup in both the Yellow Zone (125-175 yards) and Red Zone (175-225 yards). Also, if a Tour player has a big lead in a tournament, focusing on greens in regulation is not a bad idea. If a golfer on Tour has a seven-stroke lead going into the final day, odds are that if they can hit 14 greens in the final round they will come away the winner.

Lastly, much like the Total Driving metric the Greens in Regulation metric does not account for the course difficulty. A course like Firestone Country Club is far more difficult to find greens in regulation than TPC Scottsdale. That needs to be accounted for in order to get a more accurate depiction of the player’s ability to hit greens.

--------------------

If you read that above, Bryson was 9th in GIR from 200+.

Last edited:
You can use wherever stats you want. He just did something no one else has done.

He won the US Open going away by 6 strokes yet some armchair experts want to take style points away because his numbers with the wedge aren’t the best against the tour.

Like him or not this kid is a complete player and now has extreme length off the tee.

When Mickey Mantle came up with the Yanks some opposing players didn’t like him because he could run faster, hit the ball farther and play the field better than them.

Reactions: Caliknight
He won the US Open going away by 6 strokes yet some armchair experts want to take style points away because his numbers with the wedge aren’t the best against the tour.

Like him or not this kid is a complete player and now has extreme length off the tee.

When Mickey Mantle came up with the Yanks some opposing players didn’t like him because he could run faster, hit the ball farther and play the field better than them.
Plus he’s on 27. I’m guessing it has something more to do with his political affiliation as some here have alluded to.

GIR does not correlate to score nearly as well as driving distance. If you look it up there is a linear relationship between driving distance and one's score.

Here is an excerpt from a well known statistician who produces an eval of golf each year:

GREENS IN REGULATION

Greens in Regulation is a common metric used by all sorts of golfers to gauge their ballstriking skill. The main flaw in G.I.R. is that it does not distinguish any difference in the proximity to the hole. Thus, a G.I.R. with a 60-foot putt counts just as much as a G.I.R. with a 1-foot tap in. And often a golfer can either end up on the fringe or with a much shorter chip shot than the other golfer with a very difficult putt.

For that matter, G.I.R. can distort putting metrics such as 3-putt percentage. Graeme McDowell ranked 16th in Putts Gained but was 146th in 3-putt percentage. McDowell was also excellent on putts 3-5 feet long as he ranked 11th from that distance range. The issue was not McDowell’s putting skill as it was his ballstriking. He was leaving himself with too many long birdie putts that were essentially putting him in 3-putt territory. In fact, once the putt gets longer than 33-feet from the hole Tour players are more likely to 3-putt than they are to 1-putt from that distance.

The other factor is that G.I.R. is rather ambiguous when it comes to analyzing a player’s golfing ability. Bubba Watson is usually one of the better players in G.I.R., but he does that more by hitting the driver a long way and being extremely effective off the tee while being an average iron player by Tour standards. But, Jordan Spieth hits a lot of greens thru accuracy and precision and great iron play.

Greens in Regulation is not a completely worthless metric. If the distance to the hole is equal, golfers of all levels will have a lower projected score putting than they will from the fringe or greenside fairway. The advantage will be greater if the distance to the hole is the same and the player is on the green versus in the greenside rough. And obviously that advantage increases if the comparison is from the same distance to the cup with one player on the green and the other in the greenside bunker.

The data does suggest that hitting the green in regulation becomes increasingly more important as the approach shot distance becomes longer. Hitting a green in relatively unimportant from the Green Zone (75-125 yards). We start to see it influence Adjusted Scoring Average when we factor Greens in Regulation with Proximity to the Cup in both the Yellow Zone (125-175 yards) and Red Zone (175-225 yards). Also, if a Tour player has a big lead in a tournament, focusing on greens in regulation is not a bad idea. If a golfer on Tour has a seven-stroke lead going into the final day, odds are that if they can hit 14 greens in the final round they will come away the winner.

Lastly, much like the Total Driving metric the Greens in Regulation metric does not account for the course difficulty. A course like Firestone Country Club is far more difficult to find greens in regulation than TPC Scottsdale. That needs to be accounted for in order to get a more accurate depiction of the player’s ability to hit greens.

--------------------

If you read that above, Bryson was 9th in GIR from 200+.
Also, as we saw this weekend...GIR is a fairly useless stat in the real world as well. Hitting it to 80 ft on your 2nd shot and putting on those crazy greens is hard. Proximity to hole on approach play is the accompanying stat that needs to be incorporated into the analysis.

Reactions: wisr01
Also, as we saw this weekend...GIR is a fairly useless stat in the real world as well. Hitting it to 80 ft on your 2nd shot and putting on those crazy greens is hard. Proximity to hole on approach play is the accompanying stat that needs to be incorporated into the analysis.

For an amateur, say a 10 hcp, I think that GIR’s are an important stat in a round of golf. Especially since we play the same courses on a regular basis.

Total score, # of girs and # of putts are the only stats I track for each round. Girs tell us how solid we are hitting the ball from tee to green. That’s important for most amateurs imo.

For an amateur, say a 10 hcp, I think that GIR’s are an important stat in a round of golf. Especially since we play the same courses on a regular basis.

Total score, # of girs and # of putts are the only stats I track for each round. Girs tell us how solid we are hitting the ball from tee to green. That’s important for most amateurs imo.
Tale of two holes for me yesterday. Two holes, approach shots similar distance, 160ish to the pin. First hole, middle pin location, caught the ball heavy, landed it 15 yards short, but on the front of the green. 2nd hole, hit same club, hit the left side of the green just short of pin high. Ball rolls off the green into the rough, 15 ft from the pin, just past pin high. Which was the better shot?

Tale of two holes for me yesterday. Two holes, approach shots similar distance, 160ish to the pin. First hole, middle pin location, caught the ball heavy, landed it 15 yards short, but on the front of the green. 2nd hole, hit same club, hit the left side of the green just short of pin high. Ball rolls off the green into the rough, 15 ft from the pin, just past pin high. Which was the better shot?

In that case clearly the 2nd shot was far better. But over the long run I believe that GIRS are a good indication of ball striking from tee to green. Doesn’t take into account good chipping, that that will show up in No of putts.

If one guy gets 8 girs in a round and his buddy gets only 2, who would you bet on to get the lower total score for the round?

Watching Tour Players makes you realize that the game they play, Professional Golf, and what we play, Amateur Golf are ENTIRELY different games.

Go to a Tour event and follow one of the lesser known players, so that you don't have to fight the crowds and watch.

Like GIR, for them it's more about where they put the ball on the green to attack the hole for a score.

Watching Tour Players makes you realize that the game they play, Professional Golf, and what we play, Amateur Golf are ENTIRELY different games.

Go to a Tour event and follow one of the lesser known players, so that you don't have to fight the crowds and watch.

Like GIR, for them it's more about where they put the ball on the green to attack the hole for a score.
☝He's right you know.

Got to play some holes with Webb Simpson who is a member of my club. The accuracy these guys have is what is most impressive. Our club record is 61. He could have broken it but deliberately missed putts on 18 to shoot 62. Apparently it’s poor form for touring pros to have course records unless it’s done during a tournament.

Friend of mine was playing in an outing and Mike Weir was there playing a hole with each group. My buddy gets him on a par 5, and is super excited because he was able to reach the green in two.
Weir looks and asks him why he put the ball on that part of the green, because of the slope, the putt will be impossible and he should have hit it to a different spot.
Just another difference between pros (a Major winner at that) and the average Joe golfer.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
The new Conecpts just came out. Orgasmic.

I
The new Conecpts just came out. Orgasmic.

I was just going to mention to you that I got the email from Titleist today about them. They look sweet. I will check them out at some point.

I

I was just going to mention to you that I got the email from Titleist today about them. They look sweet. I will check them out at some point.

I have the CNCPT 01's. Easily the best clubs I have ever hit. Ball just jumps off of them and that slot really easily. Very pricey is the only downside.

I

Not a fan of their looks. The new P series from TM and mizuno MP series are the ones catching my eye.

I have the CNCPT 01's. Easily the best clubs I have ever hit. Ball just jumps off of them and that slot really easily. Very pricey is the only downside.
Looking at the site, I assume I would be the CP-03's. I still prefer the looks of my Mizuno irons but I almost pulled the trigger on the Titleist AP3's a few years ago when I got fitted for some 818 hybrids.

Not a fan of their looks. The new P series from TM and mizuno MP series are the ones catching my eye.
I still like the look of the Mizuno irons but would at least hit these. I do like the P series but TaylorMade irons never have the right feel for me. I never know how far they will go (unlike my Mizuno irons).

I still like the look of the Mizuno irons but would at least hit these. I do like the P series but TaylorMade irons never have the right feel for me. I never know how far they will go (unlike my Mizuno irons).
I think all that marketing by Mizuno brain washed you. Compare apples to apples and it’s the same. Don’t compare forged face vs one piece forging. TM one piece forging clubs are P7MC and P7MB. Not easy to hit but feels like butter when you find the sweet spot.

Mizunos look great and are great. But after hitting those and CNCPTS, it’s night and day.

I think all that marketing by Mizuno brain washed you. Compare apples to apples and it’s the same. Don’t compare forged face vs one piece forging. TM one piece forging clubs are P7MC and P7MB. Not easy to hit but feels like butter when you find the sweet spot.
The P7MB's are f'ing gorgeous. As are the MP20 MBs.

ADVERTISEMENT