ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ongoing Golf Thread

I think all that marketing by Mizuno brain washed you. Compare apples to apples and it’s the same. Don’t compare forged face vs one piece forging. TM one piece forging clubs are P7MC and P7MB. Not easy to hit but feels like butter when you find the sweet spot.
Funny you should reference "marketing by Mizuno". Of all the major brands, Mizuno probably does the least amount of marketing. Hell they don't even have to pay pros to play them because they are that good. If you took away all the marketing dollars, most pros would be playing Mizuno and Titleist irons (just like in the 90's).

I agree I am biased because I have played Mizuno forged irons since the early 90's. As mentioned, I've tried to move away several times but every time I try to pull the trigger, something just doesn't feel right/inconsistent shot dispersion. Unless your ability has dramatically changed (ex. handicap going way up or way down), sometimes it makes sense to stick with what you know. I know...I know...Mizuno is like a cult and I'm a member! 😃

The new Conecpts just came out. Orgasmic.

Thinking 02, 03, or 04?

Funny you should reference "marketing by Mizuno". Of all the major brands, Mizuno probably does the least amount of marketing. Hell they don't even have to pay pros to play them because they are that good. If you took away all the marketing dollars, most pros would be playing Mizuno and Titleist irons (just like in the 90's).

I agree I am biased because I have played Mizuno forged irons since the early 90's. As mentioned, I've tried to move away several times but every time I try to pull the trigger, something just doesn't feel right/inconsistent shot dispersion. Unless your ability has dramatically changed (ex. handicap going way up or way down), sometimes it makes sense to stick with what you know. I know...I know...Mizuno is like a cult and I'm a member! 😃
It will be interesting to watch. The trend lately has been for pros to forgo signing equipment deals and just use what they want. They were talking about this at the US Open. Guys want to play what they feel is best and they can win more money.

Reactions: Section124
Friend's Wife worked for Nick Price comingling his Wife's Amex bill and his for IRS filings.

Nick gave my friend a set of shafts that he wasn't using.. Nick got $ 1,000,000 a year to use that brand of shafts. More for the ball choice.

On the Senior Tour...

Greg Norman moved to Jupiter Island and went to join the Golf Club on the Island.
Some member black balled him, Greg was PO'ed.
So he bought a chunk of land in Hobe Sound and built The Medalist. Which is 10 times the track that Jupiter Island is/was.

Sounds like Jordan and his course, which I’ve heard is amazing. Just confirmed Payne’s Valley first week of March. Can’t wait!

It will be interesting to watch. The trend lately has been for pros to forgo signing equipment deals and just use what they want. They were talking about this at the US Open. Guys want to play what they feel is best and they can win more money.
It's not just clubs. We have seen a number of players switch golf balls with not so great results (only to switch back or go to another brand). Most pros need all the revenue they can get to pay expenses (especially the new guys). As a result, it's hard to turn down equipment deals

It's not just clubs. We have seen a number of players switch golf balls with not so great results (only to switch back or go to another brand). Most pros need all the revenue they can get to pay expenses (especially the new guys). As a result, it's hard to turn down equipment deals

That's true for the guys down the totem pole but not the top guys. They are the ones starting to not sign manufacturing deals apparently. Of course, those guys make so much money from other endorsements that it doesn't really matter.

It was rumored for a long time that Tiger was using Mizuno clubs just stamped with the Nike logo.

It was rumored for a long time that Tiger was using Mizuno clubs just stamped with the Nike logo.
I heard that as well but recently read it was Miura who made the clubs for Nike. Not sure that is correct but makes sense. I know Tiger used both Mizuno and Titleist irons in the 1990's.

Reactions: knightinaz
I heard that as well but recently read it was Miura who made the clubs for Nike. Not sure that is correct but makes sense. I know Tiger used both Mizuno and Titleist irons in the 1990's.

I heard it was Miura too, which on the beautiful scale are some real pieces of art work.

I heard it was Miura too, which on the beautiful scale are some real pieces of art work.
Miura is my halo brand.

From an art perspective, Itobori makes some crazy looking clubs...

image.jpg

2016-06-29_09.13.43_large.jpg

Reactions: Caliknight

I think we play the same clubs (mx23). Mizuno and Titleist were focused on better players irons while the big brands chased after mass market. This is the reason pros lean towards those brands in the 90s and 00s. But every brand now has categories of clubs for every level now. But the stories have been told so many times, it’s hard to change minds. Just like “nothing feels like a Mizuno”.

Got to play Ridgewood yesterday (in an outing). Fun course. Nice to play on manicured fairways and nice greens.

Playing our own ball, my group finished net -12, taking the one best score from our foursome (Not a scramble). Three birdies, net eagle, helped. Somehow though, the winning team finished with a net -27. There were several other groups that came in at -25 and -24.

How is that possible?

My guess was the group was marking their net scores, marking a net 3 on a par 4, then the scorers took their stroke again, making it a net 2....

Bryson DeChambeau with an opening round 62 (-9) yesterday at Shriners at TPC Summerlin in Las Vegas. Putted for Eagle 5 times during the round, including driving the greens on Par 4’s measuring 381 and 314 yards.

He hasn’t brought out the 48” Driver yet, but expects much longer tee shots at the Masters with it.

Bryson DeChambeau with an opening round 62 (-9) yesterday at Shriners at TPC Summerlin in Las Vegas. Putted for Eagle 5 times during the round, including driving the greens on Par 4’s measuring 381 and 314 yards.

He hasn’t brought out the 48” Driver yet, but expects much longer tee shots at the Masters with it.

Dude is changing the game.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Dude is changing the game.

Here is one Pro’s view of how BD may play each hole at the Masters next month. There is no rough at Augusta National and the fairways are pretty wide, so it will be bombs away off the tee on most holes.

FOURTH HOLE, 240 YARDS

Pro’s take: “He’s hitting 4- or 5-iron when guys are coming in there with 5-woods. His speed with his long irons is like my driver ball speed. It’s a joke.”

That's a great read.
Agreed. Always fun to get insight from the inside.

I am interested to see how this philosophy stands up for the long haul. But if his driver is on at Augusta that place will look like a pitch and putt for him. Winged Foot had rough all that Augusta has in pine straw and trees.

Not sure his length or strategy translates into him running away with wins week after week. There is more competition on tour than there has ever been.

Celebratory chocolate milk is diabolical.

Agreed. Always fun to get insight from the inside.

I am interested to see how this philosophy stands up for the long haul. But if his driver is on at Augusta that place will look like a pitch and putt for him. Winged Foot had rough all that Augusta has in pine straw and trees.

Not sure his length or strategy translates into him running away with wins week after week. There is more competition on tour than there has ever been.

Celebratory chocolate milk is diabolical.

Agree about more comp on tour than ever. This is the golden age.

I can't see this strategy working over the long haul. Kids on driving ranges all over the world are going to be employing this and the next crop will have more stronger, faster, bigger guys, like all sports. And I also don't think it's great for the body. I can't see him being 40 and still doing this. But it's going to be fun to see him while it lasts and he's going to rack up a lot of wins in the process.

I’m not sure he is changing the game. He has special talent, one that can’t be copied. But if you think people are going to copy equipment setup, maybe.

I’m not sure he is changing the game. He has special talent, one that can’t be copied. But if you think people are going to copy equipment setup, maybe.

I was listening to a golf show on the radio today. The commentators were in agreement that college golf coaches will push their players to hit the ball farther, and swing so hard that it’s outside their comfort zone. Length off the tee can be more valuable than hitting more fairways in the traditional sense, according to them. Of course DeChambeau has to prove out this theory, and the expectation is that he will do so. How he does at the Masters will be interesting.

They had the Tenn men’s coach on the show. They are leading the NCAA tournament this weekend. These college players already hit the ball very long. Sounds like they will try to go longer.

Length is all relative. Everyone swings out of their shoes now. Unless they all get in the gym, they won’t be like BD. I don’t see golf being taken over by guys that are build like linebackers. Time will tell.

Augusta is where you have to place the ball on the green properly to be able to putt towards the traditional pin placement for that day.

On the green in regulation, but on the wrong part of the green to the pin placement that day and you're lucky to 2 putt.

Just got back from a long weekend down in Pinehurst. If you are scheduling a trip down there, would highly recommend playing Mid-Pines, Pine-Needles, Mid-South, Dormey Club and Tobacco Road. We have played most of the Pinehurst courses in the past including #2, but there are so many great courses there you don’t have to spend a ton of money to get a great experience.

I think it can be copied. At least building strength and muscle. We know hitting it further is a huge weapon.

Fitzgerald's comments are funny. Dude basically gave himself at out now when he loses every time. What a beta.

I hate that argument "how the game is meant to be played". It's to be played anyway anyone sees fit within the confines of the rules.

Yesterday I had my first bathroom emergency on a golf course. Fortunately, there was a Porto San near the 12th hole that was clean and equipped with toilet paper. From now on, however, I'm keeping a pack of baby wipes in my golf bag for similar emergencies. LOL .

Length is all relative. Everyone swings out of their shoes now. Unless they all get in the gym, they won’t be like BD. I don’t see golf being taken over by guys that are build like linebackers. Time will tell.

I'd disagree. There isn't a sport out there where the athletes playing it aren't getting bigger stronger faster every generation. Golf is no exception.

Yesterday I had my first bathroom emergency on a golf course. Fortunately, there was a Porto San near the 12th hole that was clean and equipped with toilet paper. From now on, however, I'm keeping a pack of baby wipes in my golf bag for similar emergencies. LOL .

Muni golf sounds wretched.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Well this thread might take a bad turn... but in case it does, I had an emergency about 25 years ago at Quail Brook. Brutal. Playing well too, but for two holes, it was very difficult...

There's a reason to always have an extra towel in your bag.

I'd disagree. There isn't a sport out there where the athletes playing it aren't getting bigger stronger faster every generation. Golf is no exception.
It’s a skill sport. Big and strong doesn’t mean distance. Plenty of “regular” Joes out there that can bomb it and win.

ADVERTISEMENT